Any suggestions with my diet?? Thanks

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.5%

Any suggestions with my diet?? Thanks

Hey guys, new around here thought i would post my diet see if any changes need/should be made. Im 5"11, weigh about 75kg (165lbs), bodyfat is 12-13%.

Current Routine is... Mon: Chest, Tues: Back/Traps, Wed: Arms, Thurs: Legs, Fri: Shoulders/Traps. 5 Minute warmup run pre-weights, then 10-20 minute x trainer after weights. Saturday hit 45 mins cardio and sometimes sunday. Do a fair bit of running and always active...

Heres my diet...

Pre-Workout-7am:
    12g Green Mag
    12g White Flood
    12g Purple Wraath

Post-Workout-9:00am:
    48g ON 100% Whey
    24g Carbo Gain

Breakfast-9:30am:
    1 Cup Uncle Toby's Oats
    180ml Skim Milk
    1 Tblsp Honey

Mid-Morning-11am:
    1 Banana

Lunch-12:30pm:
    200g Chicken Breast
    2 Cups Vegetables
    1/2 Cup Brown Rice

Mid-Afternoon-3pm:
    2 Slices Wholemeal Bread
    1 Tablespoon Natural Peanut Butter
    1 Banana
    95g Tuna

Late-Afternoon-5pm:
    1 Apple
    1 Yogurt
    1 Orange

Dinner-7pm:
    200g Steak
    2 Cups Vegetables
    1/2 Cup Brown Rice

Before-Bed:
    24g ON 100% Casien

I also throw in a fishoil and flaxseed tablet with breakfast, lunch n dinner. Snack on some almonds when im hungry during the day etc...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

How many calories, grams of protein, grams of carbs, grams of sugar are in there
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.5%

I havnt worked it out with the 1 Cup of rice a day.. but without that its about..

calories: 2200
    Protein: 260g
    Carbs: 215g
    Suger: 100g
    Fat: 40g (without fish oil n flaxseed)

and my goal is 2 stay pretty lean, dont want 2 bulk until after summer (im from australia)
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.5%

any1???
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.54%
    Achievements Posting Pro

You have a pretty solid diet here, and I think you know what you are doing for the most part. Here are a few suggestions to clean up some weakspots that I would personally address:

- IMO you do not need 48g protein post workout. A scoop and a half (something like 35g) is more than enough post workout, especially when you are eating ~30 minutes later. Depending on how you train, you may want to increase the Kwick Carb for additional recovery. A better option would be to bring in your mid-morning meal at that time (the banana) for the additional CHO.

- Mid-morning meal is fairly weak and unbalanced. You can cut that meal out entirely, or you can balance it out. A tablespoon of peanut butter along with a piece of fruit works, or your choice of nuts (get at least some protein to balance the insulin). Something to mention - you have very little fat intake.

- Good job on cutting out sugars, but you have two glaring weak spots that can be cut out easily. The honey with your oatmeal is not optimal. Dice fruit, berries, what you will for taste, but get the honey out of there. The other spot is the yogurt at your "late afternoon" snack. You have your CHO from two natural sources of fruit, no need for an additional source, especially when its refined sugar (I don't know of any truely healthy yogurt, check the label). Similiar to your "mid-morning" meal, I would suggest balancing out the macronutrients here and getting some protein and fat. 3-4oz lean deli turkey + 9-10 grams of fat from healthy nuts fits in well in place of the yogurt.

- I would cut out the brown rice at dinner, as you do not need such a carbohydrate late in the day. 2c vegetables fits well, good to see that there. Bring in an additonal cup of vegetables to go alongside your casein protein, and have a few more nuts/seeds with that shake for healthy fats.

At 165lbs, you do not need 260g protein. That's over 1.5g per pound of BW, and 1.5 should be the absolute max that you go. I would cut back 40-50g there, keep your carbohydrates roughly the same, and bring the fat uptake way up. You could seriously use additional fats. Your active, and the healthy fats are you best source of fuel.
    In my opinion, with your activity level, you should strive for:

200-210g protein
    220g carbohydrate (cut out all refined sugar when possible, and majority of CHO from fruits and vegetables)
    90g fat
    ------- ~2500 kcal, up from about ~2250kcal before. I wouldn't hesistate to cut back a few more on the CHO, but you will find your best performance coming from a matched ratio.
  6. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I agree you for the most part, Highlanda, except that I would have gone with the yogurt and cut out the fruit that late in the day, particularly fruit as high in fructose as apples and oranges. Yogurt can be great for you if your not buying the sugar-loaded, non-fat, flavored Yoplait/Dannon "marketed-to-overweight-housewives" crap.

Get plain, whole-milk, organic, live-active cultures yogurt, available at Wildoats, Whole Foods, Trader Joes or any natural foods store. It's very-low glycemically, contains no fructose, it's organic so it will have a great fatty acid profile (CLA from a natural source!) and the bacteria that cultured the yogurt aid in digestion, nitrogen retention, mineral absorption and bowel function. Add in the fact that its got some good protein in there and it's awesome - I even ate every morning during my last cut.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.5%

thanks very much mate very helpful. The yogurt 1 buy has the following... 175g Tub - 70cal, 6.5g Protein, 0.2g Fat, Carbs 10.3g, Sugars 8.9g, Sodium 130mg, Calcium 282mg.

I always knew my mid-morning meal wasnt enough, but im kinda not hungry around that time. What im thinking is 2 have the yogurt mid-morning along with some nuts/peanut butter or something... and stick 2 the fruit in the afternoon. Ive also noticed in alot of other diets that people r eating eggs or egg whites... I havnt included any in my diet but i think theres room for some...???

Anywayz thanks very much guys, appreciate your help and suggestions
  8. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%

Take the apple and the orange, eat them first thing in the morning before you hit the gym.

Have the yogurt in the late afternoon, where you are already having it - just get some that is full-fat, i.e. should have about 8g in a 1cup serving. It's healthy fat, which you need - you're getting hardly any and fat is a major hormonal regulator. Adding some more healthy fat = more testosterone

As for eggs, I think adding them in when you have that banana mid-morning is the way to go. Also eat whole eggs, don't skimp and eat just the whites, cholesterol is a precursor to steroids and won't harm you unless it oxidizes, so unbroken yolks are best. 2-4 is plenty

***NOW @ NP***
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.64%

a year or two ago I posted a similar thread to this on ProMuscle. My stats then where something like 6'0, 180Lbs, and 13ish% BF. These are some of the replies i received:

youre a stick man,just eat heaps of good food and train hard 1 day on 1 day off,put on 50 pouds first before you worrie about this mutch carbs or that mutch protien,but eat more protien then usual.

I must agree, at 6' 182 you need mass. Eat high quality protein sources and good quality carbs. load the fats pretty heavily and train hard. At around 13% and that may be over stating you can eat tons!! Just eat lad!!

OMG! I almost spit my coffee out when I read that! I read the original post and was thinking the same thing but trying to find a way to put it and then I read this - I agree completely. Jesus, man, don't complicate things - you've been reading too much Muscle & Fiction. Have some fun with it - eat and lift - eventually, it will come to micro managment but that time ain't here yet. You aren't eating enough - not enough calories overall, in my opinion. I have had a lot of guys just begin to consume a gallon of milk a day, ideally along with (and not instead of) whatever you are already eating. Just sip the milk all day long - brand new gallon first thing in the morning, empty and in the trash at bed time. Yeah, yeah, I hear some folks saying that could be unhealthy, etc. Well, I began at just under 150 pounds way back when and right now weigh over 270, and probably not much about any of it would the medical community opine as healthy. BUt I gots the goods - the guns and quads and back and so on, so IF that is your "vision" for your future (and seems that way with all the science you already want to embrace) then keep it simple - eat the food and lift the weights and if the scale isn't rising every week then you simply aren't eating enough. You need a caloric surplus at the end of every day - a successful week of that will show in an increased bodyweight. Once you see that scale rising, then access the quality of what has been gained, THEN you may need to readjust ratios but you will be off on the right foot for mass gain.

Any ways, I followed their advice and dropped my macro counts and perfectly timed meals and since then I have become leaner and still put on about 20lbs, my weights in the gym went through the roof and I couldn't be much happier. Best advice I ever followed.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.5%

mate you know i tend 2 agree with you, at my age and level of activity i should be able 2 eat n eat n eat, but eat healthy. I want 2 put on size, but i guess its a mental thing. 2 Years ago i weighed 220pounds and was fat. I dropped 80 odd pounds and was alot happier. I dont wanna go down the same road... lol. My thinking is now if i increase my calories i'll put on weight... but i guess im training pretty ****en hard and very active as be4 i wasnt so in doubt i'd gain fat. hmmm.......
  11. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%

If you want to gain muscle without adding fat, look into a carb cycling diet. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat unless you eat it with poorly timed carbs. In most cases, it is carbs that cause fat gain. THat being said, carbohydrates also make gaining muscle a lot easier - that is where carb cycling comes in. You eat carbs when you need them, and fats at other times, with protein dispersed throughout.

Look up "the carb cycling codex" by Christian thibaudeau - it's a great article and jumping off point for what you seem to want.

***NOW @ NP***
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.64%

Carb cycle is awesome!!! I like to go on 6-7 week bulks and I can gain plenty of good muscle in that time, and with 2-3 weeks of carb cycling I can loose all the fat I gained in that time.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.61%

SOLID just stick to it bro.

Good Luck
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.5%

alrite so i've changed things up abit and set out a new diet. Aiming for roughly 3000 calories a day... 270g Protein, 270g Carbs, 100g Fats, 96g Sugar.
    Now looks a little something like...

Post-Workout: 9am
    37g ON 100% Whey
    48g Carbo Gain
    P:30g, C:51g, F:3g

Breakfast: 10am
    1 Cup Uncle Toby's Oats
    180ml Skim Milk
    10g ON 100% Casien
    2 Eggs
    P:32g C:39g F:15g

Mid-Morning30am
    400ml Skim Milk
    50g Turkey Breast
    1 Apple
    P:28g C:45g F:1.6g

Lunch: 1pm
    200g Chicken Breast
    2 Cups Vegetables
    1 Slice Wholemeal Bread
    P:56g C:35g F:8g

Mid-Afternoon: 3pm
    2 Slices Wholemeal Bread
    1 Tblsp Natural Peanut Butter
    95g Tuna
    1 Banana
    P:33g C:55g F:15g

Late-Afternoon: 5pm
    1 Yogurt
    2 Eggs
    25g Almonds
    P:25g C:20g F:23g

Dinner:7pm
    200g Steak
    2 Cups Vegetables
    P:45g C:5g F:9.4g

Pre-Bed:9:30pm
    25g ON 100% Casien
    2 Tblsp Natural Peanut Butter
    P:29g C:7.6g F:25g

Going to try this for 6-8 Weeks, see the results (if any) then go from there.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.64%

looks pretty solid, a few things I would look into though:

-Change the skim milk to whole milk
    -move your PB at 3PM to 7PM, try to get fats as close to night as you can.
    -any meal or foods at all Pre-WO?
    -if you don't already have a huge stock of ON protein, check into TrueProtein or AllTheWhey both make lean isolate proteins and casien's for equal or maybe a little more cash, plus AllTheWhey has some awesome flavors, they sent me some samples and I cant wait to try em out...cinnamon buns, cup cake batter, and plenty more good stuff.

Also I wouldn't plan to eat the EXACT same thing everyday, or chances are your going to miss some pretty key nutrients, try to switch stuff up some days, some of your lean proteins could be sub'ed for eggs, tuna, fish and plenty more! the more interesting you make your diet the easier it will be to follow.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.5%

Quote Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
    looks pretty solid, a few things I would look into though:

-Change the skim milk to whole milk
    -move your PB at 3PM to 7PM, try to get fats as close to night as you can.
    -any meal or foods at all Pre-WO?
    -if you don't already have a huge stock of ON protein, check into TrueProtein or AllTheWhey both make lean isolate proteins and casien's for equal or maybe a little more cash, plus AllTheWhey has some awesome flavors, they sent me some samples and I cant wait to try em out...cinnamon buns, cup cake batter, and plenty more good stuff.

Also I wouldn't plan to eat the EXACT same thing everyday, or chances are your going to miss some pretty key nutrients, try to switch stuff up some days, some of your lean proteins could be sub'ed for eggs, tuna, fish and plenty more! the more interesting you make your diet the easier it will be to follow.
    Ummm i get up at 6:45 and usually hit the gym at 7:30. I down white flood and green mag around 7 and sip on purple wraath thru-out my workout. Would u suggest i hav a little something be4 i train.. if so any suggestions?
  17. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%

Darn Good starting point for a bulk - I personally would try to get something in me before hitting the gym - fruit and a oat/whey shake is quick.

Orangepeel - your PB suggestion is...odd. "Fat towards night" is not something I had heard before, it's fine at 3pm, though you are right, I think more with his steak and veggies dinner would be beneficial. Are you thinking along the lines carb cycling follows: Carbs in mornings and PWO, with fats later in the day and at night?

***NOW @ NP***
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.64%

I thought you dropped the Pre-WO supps, but I would only add a real food source before the gym if you think you need it, I wouldn't be able to go to the gym on an empty stomach which is why I recommended it, if you don't need/want to you don't need to.

I was mostly thinking add more at night, but if he doesn't mind keeping it at 3 and adding more at night, I would think that option would be best.
  19. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.54%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
    I would only add a real food source before the gym if you think you need it, I wouldn't be able to go to the gym on an empty stomach which is why I recommended it, if you don't need/want to you don't need to.
    I agree - that's your call. Some will argue that you are in a hyper-dangerous state of catabolism, and are at risk of shrinking pounds off your body if you don't consume protein within 30 seconds of waking. It's humorous at times. What madders is your performance in the gym. If you feel better, and perform better, without eating pre-workout... then you have your answer. You do not NEED to eat a thing.

Best thing to do is try (if you havn't yet). Personally, I also feel best eating beforehand, and my running in the mornings has greatly benefitted from so. I have some difficultly eating as I roll out of bed, but I found that a small protein bar fits the situation quite well. Most bars are junk, but there are a few out there that will do the job. Pure protein, detour (low sugar), just to name a couple. The best part about the bars is that they bring all three macro's for you. I'll eat a bar along with some fruit low in fiber (watermelon), and it's been working out great for me. Avoid sugar, sugar alcohols if possible, and aim for something like 20 protein/30 CHO/10 fat just to throw something out there. For what it's worth, I've been eating the Detour Biker Bars (yeah, found them at GNC for 30 cents a piece). Small bars, but they will get your started with all three macro's when you aren't looking to eat much.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.5%

yeah i usually find i dont need anything till after my workout. Im never hungry when i hit the gym and the supps im taking pre-workout easily give me enough energy 2 get me thru a hard session...

Yeah ive taken carb cycling kind of into consideration, trying 2 lower the carbs towards the end of the day and increase the fat... i dunno if thats right but yeah, 2nite i had a tblsp of PB on my steak... tasted alrite lol.

thanks 4 the suggestions guys... appreciated
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.64%

No problem man, as for carb cycling I probably wouldn't go that route if your trying to put on mass - I know that carb cycling for me is VERY effective for cutting fat but gains in the gym while doing this are very hard to make.

I like to do a 6-7 week bulk maintain it for about 2 weeks and then cut down for 2-3 weeks, and take a 2 week break and just kinda maintain and then restart. Works well for me as 6-7 weeks isn't enough time to really put on ALOT of fat so it makes it easier to cut down during the cut phase and maintain a leaner BF overall.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.5%

yeah mate im just gonna see how i go on this diet for 6-8 weeks and go from there depending on the results... do u think its best 2 hit each muscle group once or twice a week?... I only ever feel real sore after a leg workout... hmm
  23. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%

At least twice a week, and I've had no trouble achieving weight and strength gain on carb cycles, I just have to up the calories when I stop gaining.

***NOW @ NP***
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.64%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    At least twice a week, and I've had no trouble achieving weight and strength gain on carb cycles, I just have to up the calories when I stop gaining.
    I can't, but I also don't like to train most muscle groups more than once a week, or I don't see gains/very minimal gains. So it looks like what is working for you, the exact opposite is working for me - ha, welcome to the wonderful world of BB.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Diet Suggestions
    By candynobad373 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2009, 06:48 PM
  2. Diet looking ok? suggestions
    By COBRAman in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 03:12 PM
  3. LBM diet any suggestions
    By keater824 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4