Eggs - To Yolk Or Not To Yolk?

justinfection

justinfection

Awards
Hi all. I'm new here. Curious about eggs because I just fried up 2 whole eggs.

Is it best to go with whites? What advantages are there to the yolks?

From my limited recollection, is it true that the yolks lend to high cholesterol?

Also, natural (real) eggs or egg substitute?

I'm looking for weight loss at the moment, but more importantly, overall good health.

Thanks,

Justin

:duel:

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It really depends on the structure of your diet, over all cals, etc.

Give us some more details.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I suppose if your on an X-factor cycle, the yolk provides extra archiodonic acid I believe.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
i've never tried egg substitutes... and i always skip the yolk when i eat my boiled eggs... the yolk contains cholesterol... i see little benefit in eating them....

when i make omelets i will use 6 white and 2 whole eggs with a little salt and picante sauce, that makes a full breakfast.

justinfection

justinfection

Awards
Let me put it this way: I don't even have a structure (yet) and have no idea what an X-Factor cycle (or any other type of cycle to be more precise) is.

<--- 100% newb

Sorry, I really can't provide much details. I understand if that makes it difficult to comment.

Thanks

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use a 3-1 ratio. 3 egg whites to one whole egg. The yolk in the egg has great nutrients that you can benefit from.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
All yolk baby. Body needs cholesterol to build muscle.

classic27

when making eggs i would go with a mixture of some whole eggs and some egg whites. you dont want more than 1 or 2 yolks a day. anymore more than that and you will be getting too much choleterol. Some choleterol is good but not too much. you really want to try and get less than 300mg of cholesterol a day. the yolks do taste good tho and have a lot of other good nutrients in them.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think Cholesterol from eggs has shown to impact your body's cholesterol but the main reason I don't use more yolk is keeping my fat intake where I want it.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I don't think Cholesterol from eggs has shown to impact your body's cholesterol but the main reason I don't use more yolk is keeping my fat intake where I want it.
Troof!

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm with Jayhawk, although on cuts I rarely have room for the fat in my diet so its whites only.

Also you should look at how much saturated fat your getting in each day and go from there. I dont think most people realize how much saturated fat they take in...

Disturbed

Disturbed

Awards
I eat 5 whole eggs a day.My cholesterol just checked out fine.Keep in mind that healthy fats will raise testosterone levels.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Eating whites vs. whole eggs changes the nutritional value (talking amount of fat, protein, etc). As long as you account for the extra fat in whole eggs, they are great. It's all about the calories and macros (pro., carb., fat).

If you tend to have more fat in other areas of your diet, then just do whites. You need to figure out what kind of calories you need to consume to reach your goals.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Plus the benefits of the fat soluble vitamins found in the yolk.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
If you want just lean protein eat some tuna or something, if you want a muscle building, testosterone producing, healthy meal eat the whole egg! Egg Yolks are a great source of healthy fats and protein. As long as you are tracking your daily intake of fats and keeping it proportionate to your overall caloric intake Egg Yolks, IMO, are going to do you more harm than good. With that being said when I eat eggs I will usually eat 3 whole eggs and then throw some turkey, green peppers, and onion on top to make a quick omelet.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you want just lean protein eat some tuna or something, if you want a muscle building, testosterone producing, healthy meal eat the whole egg! Egg Yolks are a great source of healthy fats and protein. As long as you are tracking your daily intake of fats and keeping it proportionate to your overall caloric intake Egg Yolks, IMO, are going to do you more harm than good. With that being said when I eat eggs I will usually eat 3 whole eggs and then throw some turkey, green peppers, and onion on top to make a quick omelet.
Word. Eat em whole, eat em raw. :thumbsup:

Bruth

Bruth

Awards
Whole or Bust.

8< a day is fairly normal for me. Omega-3 Most of the time.

justinfection

justinfection

Awards
Thanks for all the helpful insights guys. Looks like its a case of 'in moderation'. I'm new to foods and diet and monitoring caloric intake so your insights are really helpful and appreciated. I'm charting my intake with the diet tracker on this forum to see where my fats etc are in proportion to my total intake. Looks like a lot of fats already :(

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Just remember you want at least 20-30% of your daily calories to come from healthy fats. Optimally you wont to try and split it equally between mono- poly and saturated fats.

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
I believe some cholesterol is good. Not over the top, but just some. I think the Anabolic Diet mentioned that high cholesterol consumptions leads to higher testosterone levels.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Testosterone is derived from cholesterol.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I believe some cholesterol is good. Not over the top, but just some. I think the Anabolic Diet mentioned that high cholesterol consumptions leads to higher testosterone levels.
Yeah, and if you're getting plenty of fibre in your diet, you're active and have no family history of high cholesterol you should be fine.:head:

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
Let me put it this way: I don't even have a structure (yet) and have no idea what an X-Factor cycle (or any other type of cycle to be more precise) is.

<--- 100% newb

Sorry, I really can't provide much details. I understand if that makes it difficult to comment.

Thanks
Couple of yolks won't kill ya. I buy egg whites by the carton, and make omelettes with them. Occasionally I throw in a couple of whole eggs as well, but I generally like to get my fat from other locations.

justinfection

justinfection

Awards
I'm joining the YMCA this weekend. Any suggestions or guides I can read to get my diet and workout routine in sync? I don't know what the Anabolic Diet is but I want to learn some options. Thanks again. You're all great help.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Bottom line: If you don't get enough cholesterol, you wont be growing muscle as efficiently as you could be.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bottom line: If you don't get enough cholesterol, you wont be growing muscle as efficiently as you could be.
...and eating those bumnuts is a sure-fire way to get enough in :thumbsup:

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
Debunking the cholesterol myths....
Dietary cholesterol has insignificant effect on blood cholesterol levels in a majority of people. Furtermore,
cholesterol is a vital building block of cell membranes and thus important in maintaining cell membrane integrity. It is also a precursor TO ALL steroid hormones (including testosterone, as several guys here already pointed out), and essential for conducting nerve impulses. Connections between neurons (synapses), depend on the presence of cholesterol and without these connections, processes like memory, learning and motor function would be compromised. Believe it or not, one of the reason why sleep is good for you is because of the increased synthesis of cholesterol during sleep. Unless you plan on eating a dozen eggs per day, I wouldn't worry about separating the yolk out. Besides, the bioavailability of the protein in egg is much greater when the egg is consumed whole.:thumbsup:
Enough of that science brainwash...

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/index.html

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Debunking the cholesterol myths....
Dietary cholesterol has insignificant effect on blood cholesterol levels in a majority of people. Furtermore,
cholesterol is a vital building block of cell membranes and thus important in maintaining cell membrane integrity. It is also a precursor TO ALL steroid hormones (including testosterone, as several guys here already pointed out), and essential for conducting nerve impulses. Connections between neurons (synapses), depend on the presence of cholesterol and without these connections, processes like memory, learning and motor function would be compromised. Believe it or not, one of the reason why sleep is good for you is because of the increased synthesis of cholesterol during sleep. Unless you plan on eating a dozen eggs per day, I wouldn't worry about separating the yolk out. Besides, the bioavailability of the protein in egg is much greater when the egg is consumed whole.:thumbsup:
Enough of that science brainwash...

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/index.html

I've been eating 4 whole eggs a day all year - check out my cholesterol:

Attachments

justinfection

justinfection

Awards
Wow. You guys really know your diet ish. I'm so glad I joined this site. So, what's up with eating raw eggs? Other than eliminating the oils you would use to cook them and thus reducing excess fat / calories that could be better spent elsewhere, are there more benefits?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Wow. You guys really know your diet ish. I'm so glad I joined this site. So, what's up with eating raw eggs? Other than eliminating the oils you would use to cook them and thus reducing excess fat / calories that could be better spent elsewhere, are there more benefits?
calories from cooking oils are negligible. You also need a lot of fat to both lose fat or gain muscle. I don't cook my eggs with any oil anyways.

Raw eggs are dangerous because of salmonella

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
calories from cooking oils are negligible. You also need a lot of fat to both lose fat or gain muscle. I don't cook my eggs with any oil anyways.

Raw eggs are dangerous because of salmonella
i actually did some research on this when i decided to eat eggs raw on occasion due to convenience. unless you are already sick, an infant, or elderly it is very hard for you to contract salmonella from the raw eggs. Also, the amount of eggs that actually carry the salmonella bacteria is very small, in 2002 only 2.3 million out of the 69 billion eggs contained salmonella. and if you are worried about the salmonella you can heat it up in 140-150 degree water for 3-5 minutes, which is not long or hot enough to cook the egg, but enough to kill the bacteria. and besides, most of the bacteria is on the shell, and unless your eating the shell too...

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
why buy eggs then throw half of it away...i eat 6 for breakfast

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i actually did some research on this when i decided to eat eggs raw on occasion due to convenience. unless you are already sick, an infant, or elderly it is very hard for you to contract salmonella from the raw eggs. Also, the amount of eggs that actually carry the salmonella bacteria is very small, in 2002 only 2.3 million out of the 69 billion eggs contained salmonella. and if you are worried about the salmonella you can heat it up in 140-150 degree water for 3-5 minutes, which is not long or hot enough to cook the egg, but enough to kill the bacteria. and besides, most of the bacteria is on the shell, and unless your eating the shell too...
Eating a lot of eggs is a volume issue for me, so I wack them in a blender with some oats, milk, berries, banana sometimes some whey if Im making up a batch for the day and drink it.

If you're worried about salmonella, look at the farming practices in your area. It's rare to catch it this part of the world :thumbsup:

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
why buy eggs then throw half of it away...i eat 6 for breakfast
Exactly, throwing half out is pure BLASPHEMY !

Eating a lot of eggs is a volume issue for me, so I wack them in a blender with some oats, milk, berries, banana sometimes some whey if Im making up a batch for the day and drink it.

If you're worried about salmonella, look at the farming practices in your area. It's rare to catch it this part of the world :thumbsup:
Nice, I'll start adding raw eggs to protein shakes, most powders mix terribly, and yolk lecithin is a natural emulsifier. Throw in some coconut milk and all the anti-saturated and anti-cholesterol advocates can pull their hairs out as far as I care! :lol:

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Exactly, throwing half out is pure BLASPHEMY !
Nice, I'll start adding raw eggs to protein shakes, most powders mix terribly, and yolk lecithin is a natural emulsifier. Throw in some coconut milk and all the anti-saturated and anti-cholesterol advocates can pull their hairs out as far as I care! :lol
ha! A girl after my own heart - bless!

One day I misread a recipe and ended up downing a ~3,000 cal shake. Had the above ingredients plus 300ml of cream... :lol:

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
ha! A girl after my own heart - bless!

One day I misread a recipe and ended up downing a ~3,000 cal shake. Had the above ingredients plus 300ml of cream... :lol:

HAHA, was that a post WO shake JKP ? :jaw::burg::donut: Because, well, you know, you wouldn't want to MISS "the window of opportunity" :icon_lol:

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In regards to raw eggs the risk of salmonella poisoning is low like neuro pointed out but if your still worried you can eat/use the pasteurized eggs that come in cartons.

Also if your eating raw eggs I thought I have read you should avoid eating any egg that is cracked.

justinfection

justinfection

Awards
good points, both.

In regards to raw eggs the risk of salmonella poisoning is low like neuro pointed out but if your still worried you can eat/use the pasteurized eggs that come in cartons.

Also if your eating raw eggs I thought I have read you should avoid eating any egg that is cracked.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
jakellpet has the right idea! I chuck whole eggs into my shakes everyday. 4 normally does the trick: D

classic27

if you cook them in olive oil you are getting essential fats. thats not a bad thing

TOYFORDOLET

TOYFORDOLET

Awards
  • Established
When an egg is cooked some of the fats and nutrients in the yolk become denatured, having little or no biological value (maybe even harmful). However, I believe the whites need to be cooked to digest properly (unless pasteurized).
I think the best ways keep all the "good stuff" in the yolk intact are to:
-eat raw
-cook over easy (liquid yolk)
-hard boil

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone here soft boil their eggs?
I use to work at a restaurant that would do that and it makes the eggs like a portable over easy egg, they are great.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think the point of eating raw eggs is that it will help your body absorb the protein faster. But from what I understand the body can't absorb the protein in raw eggs as well as when they are cooked.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
I think the point of eating raw eggs is that it will help your body absorb the protein faster. But from what I understand the body can't absorb the protein in raw eggs as well as when they are cooked.
I've actually heard the exact opposite, that raw egg protein is EASIER to absorb.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
All yolk baby. Body needs cholesterol to build muscle.
i second that. however, you do need to eat them in moderation if you're on a conventional diet. right now i'm hitting a ketogenic diet (no carbs; fat is my energy) and i personally eat anywhere from 7-9 whole eggs a day. love that cholestorol! precursor to dem' good hormones, mayn. but you'd do well with 3, 4, maybe 5 a day.

1ArmMan

1ArmMan

Awards
I use a 3-1 ratio. 3 egg whites to one whole egg. The yolk in the egg has great nutrients that you can benefit from.
This is what I have for breakfast now that I'm trying to cut.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
One way to open a big can of worms is a thread about raw eggs. :D There's just too many myths and misconceptions surrounding this topic.

I've eaten at least 6 whole eggs a day since i can remember and raw eggs were a staple in a protein shake before whey became popular. Noone i know, including me, ever got sick and the biggest and strongest i ever got was when i was eating loads of steak and eggs.

They are just so convenient and i never get sick of them.

Jag