putting a bulking stack together for my bro

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
well im trying to put a bulking diet together for my lil bro, 125 pounds, 16 yearsold, and 5'9"........we are goin to the gym, have been for a while, and i wanna start him on a bulk!

so my question is,

How many Calories??
How many Carbs??
How much Protein??
How many meals a day??
whats the best to eat eggs, chicken, turkey, beef, and , lots of milk????
(i might have the foods down but please critique)

Styxx

Awards
well im trying to put a bulking diet together for my lil bro, 125 pounds, 16 yearsold, and 5'9"........we are goin to the gym, have been for a while, and i wanna start him on a bulk!

so my question is,

How many Calories??
How many Carbs??
How much Protein??
How many meals a day??
whats the best to eat eggs, chicken, turkey, beef, and , lots of milk????
(i might have the foods down but please critique)
Calories I would say around 2,500 + or - calories depending on how he gains. Protein should be at least 1 gram per pound, for him I would say 1.5 grams will be good. Carbs go 2 grams per pound. Meals should probably be broken down into 6 meals a day, can go 5 because his calorie needs are pretty small considering his size. I would recommend all those foods for sure, milk is an easy way to add calories. As for carbs try and stick to complex ones, such as oats, sweet potato, whole grains etc.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
he is a ectomorph so should it stay 1.5 grams protein/day or would 200 be best?

Styxx

Awards
For him since he has such a small frame 200 isnt going to be bad for him, just make sure he is drinking around a gallon of water a day to help his kidneys and for proper hydration.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
For a young'n like himself, the quickest way to demotivate his diet goals would be to bore him. Suggest proper meal choices, ie lean meats and good sources of protein, but a strict diet at his age may discourage him. When he gets to 18 or 19, a tighter, more defined diet will be more managable. Simply, just don't put too much on him and overwhelm him. I'm speaking from experience... overdid it with a friend once. Everyones different though of course, and I think it's great that your making the effort to start him off right.

Mark Rippetoe recommends a gallon a day of whole milk for those looking to gain weight. Just throwing that one out there!

Styxx

Awards
For a young'n like himself, the quickest way to demotivate his diet goals would be to bore him. Suggest proper meal choices, ie lean meats and good sources of protein, but a strict diet at his age may discourage him. When he gets to 18 or 19, a tighter, more defined diet will be more managable. Simply, just don't put too much on him and overwhelm him. I'm speaking from experience... overdid it with a friend once. Everyones different though of course, and I think it's great that your making the effort to start him off right.

Mark Rippetoe recommends a gallon a day of whole milk for those looking to gain weight. Just throwing that one out there!

Yea i agree with you, use these macros as more of a guideline for healthy food choices, making a strict diet can be hard to follow, and having a lil excess calories/ less calories wont hurt him in the long run. If he is starting fresh he will make good beginner gains with a pretty solid diet and training plan.

Look into Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program for him to use. seen people make great strength and mass gains in a few months of following it. Good Luck and train safe.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Hahah yeah man, Rippetoe is the good stuff. I think just about EVERYONE can benefit from that book, as it gets you back in touch with the vital basics that too many seem to forget.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
okay WTF, last week he was 125, and now the scale says he is 110, it was the same scale, he was wearing the same gym outfit, and he has even been taking in more calories (healthy ones), carbs (complex), and protein than before and he is loosing weight, WTF is with this??

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
okay WTF, last week he was 125, and now the scale says he is 110, it was the same scale, he was wearing the same gym outfit, and he has even been taking in more calories (healthy ones), carbs (complex), and protein than before and he is loosing weight, WTF is with this??
Sounds like your using a scale in the gym?

Although you'd like to think the reading will be reliable, its likely not to be. Dozens of individuals hop on those every day... I wouldn't be the least suprised if it reads him as 135 tommarow.
On another note - your bodweight fluctuates dramatically throughout the day. A simple meal, or even a few glasses of water, can raise your current bodyweight. An 8-10 pound increase from morning wakeup to post-dinner isn't the least bit uncommon. If you want to track bodyweight, the best way to do so would be to weigh him in the AM, before breakfast.

The book we were referring to is called "Starting Strength: 2nd Edition" - Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore. Here's the link to their online store:
http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/store.php?crn=199&rn=312&action=show_detail

The book breaks down four main compound lifts: the standing press, the bench press, the deadlift, and the powerclean. The programming towards the end of the book is simple, yet incredibly effective for building strength in a beginner (or even an intermediate to advanced, depending on how effective their previous program was). Just about everyone can benefit from reading this book as it reclarifies crucial form elements in these lifts. Highly, highly recommend picking it up - you will not be dissapointed. You can get a pretty nifty training log to track progress for an additional $4 or so if you combo it with Starting Strength. I have both, and it's money well spent.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the link!
the scale we use is at my house, its a reliable scale, we always workout at 6pm and end around 6:30-7:00pm and he eats after he goes to the gym
all he has before is a 18 oz. thing of Xtend.....he eats his 5th meal of the day at 4:00pm with 600cals, 40g. protein, and 50g. of carbs........this is more food than he is usually taking in per meal and his weight is dropping:think: