How's the diet looking nowadays?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
It's been a while since I attempted to follow a strict meal-by-meal diet, living largely with the "what I feel like" diet. Ate clean, but I'd go with baked chicken over tuna if I felt like it. I found myself eating the same foods over and over, meal after meal, and came to overdoing it and losing my taste for that particular source. By having a different source with each meal, it keeps my taste for each food ideal. Chicken 3x a day quickly caught up with me and became unappetizing to say the least. Been running this for a few weeks now, and wondering if I can touch up on a few areas -

It's roughly based off two diets -
Paleolithic, aka "Paleo" - Referred to as the "caveman" diet, it's comprised of all-natural sources. Meats, nuts, fruits and vegetables. Not to include anything processed, including any sort of grains or starch (although I incorporate a few).
Zone diet - Dr. Barry Sear's program, calling for a specific 40/40/30 macronutient split (CHO/P/F). The logic is to balance the hormonal response to food, insulin and glucagon. Recommended sources fall in line often with the Paleo diet, making the sudo-Paleo/Zone a common diet.

Here's the diet -
0530* - Mini-protein bar + 1/2 Apple ... ~40/15/10

0730 - Tuna (water)/medium bowl veggies/1tsp EVOO + 1 Fruit + ~1/8c (half serving) of nuts ... ~40/40/20

1030 - 3 whole eggs/~2oz deli turkey + 1/2c Oats + 1/2 Apple + a few nuts ... ~45/35/25

1315** - Protein Shake (20/20/0)

1400 - ~6-8oz Turkey + 1 Fruit + 1/3c (1.5 servings) nuts ... ~35/40/20g

1700 - 8oz Steak or 6oz Salmon (alternating days) + large bowl veggies + 1/8c (half serving) nuts ... ~25/40/25

2000 - 1/2c Whole Cottage Cheese + large bowl veggies + 1/4c nuts ... ~25/35/25

+ 2g Fish oil/3g Liver Tabs (protein) 5x daily... 0/15/10
Total ~ 230/240/135 = 920/960/1215 = 3095 on a full day... roughly 2700 on an off day, and roughly 2850 on half days (2x week)
I'm currently 6.0" @ 177, estimated BF at 10-12%. Could honestly care less about weight, and even less about BF. I train solely for performance, so I designed my diet to address physical ability and that only.

*Pre-run if I'm training that morning. Stands out pretty bad in a Paleo-orientated diet, but I have trouble eating in the morning. Easy for me to down and gets me some good CHO/P. Been working out great so far in terms of how I feel during the run.. can't run on empty, its a no-go for me.
**Post-workout meal

It's again roughly based off the Paleo and Zone diets. I lose the Zone ratios even more later in the day, when I cut back on supplementing in the fruits. I'm hesistant to increase CHO however due to the positive results I've been experiencing from using fats as my primary fuel source... first time in my life I've done so. The diet is based solely for performance for overall atheticism. I train Crossfit, which covers a broad spectrum of training. Olympic lifts, sprint work, HIIT weight-training (metabolic conditioning), gymnastics, etc. Please feel free to tear this apart and tell me where I can improve! Planning on holding to this diet for the next 10 months or so before going active duty. Any and all critique welcome!

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
This looks awesome to me.

The only thing I could say is perhaps to add variety, like you said, so you don't burn out on certain foods.

For me, time is an issue, so I make lots of stuff and freeze it so it's ready to go.

Quinoa/turkey soup loaded with green veggies in a nonfat chicken broth, those packages of salmon/chicken/tuna pre-marinated for taste, etc.

Another thing I do once a day is an avocado, by itself. Great source of fat and taste great. Oftentimes, I'll peel one, throw it in the blender with my vanilla protein shake and a chunk of natty peanut butter.

Just my 2 cents.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
This looks awesome to me.

The only thing I could say is perhaps to add variety, like you said, so you don't burn out on certain foods.

For me, time is an issue, so I make lots of stuff and freeze it so it's ready to go.

Quinoa/turkey soup loaded with green veggies in a nonfat chicken broth, those packages of salmon/chicken/tuna pre-marinated for taste, etc.

Another thing I do once a day is an avocado, by itself. Great source of fat and taste great. Oftentimes, I'll peel one, throw it in the blender with my vanilla protein shake and a chunk of natty peanut butter.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the reply... not going to lie, that avocado/PB vanilla protein shake sounds damn good. Going to have to try that sometime - great idea there.
Good thinking with the Quinoa... I used to eat it regularly; it replaced brown rice in my previous diet. I'm considering replacing the oats with Quinoa... thanks for the ideas.

The other thing I was debating over was to eat a sweet potato in my PPWO meal, replacing the piece of fruit. The Paleo influence is telling me to stick it out with the fruit, but for performance, I'm unsure if the sweet potato has the edge bringing a better recovery. Really on the fence about this one, can't decide on either one.

Last edited:
stormecho

stormecho

Awards
What kind of fruit?

If I'm not mistaken, some fruits like papaya, guava, and different melons have the same GI structure as a sweet potato.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
What kind of fruit?

If I'm not mistaken, some fruits like papaya, guava, and different melons have the same GI structure as a sweet potato.
Hmm, that's an interesting thought...
Lately its been a pear, but not for any specific reason to be honest. Throughout the day I have been cycling through apples, pears, peaches... havn't experimented with anything else so far, partially because I havn't been the slightest bored yet! I'm going to be on the lookout though for some of those things next time I'm restocking... avocado and papaya/guava appear to be sound additions, one for the nutrition, and two, they sound incredibly appetizing.