Alcohol and diet

T

torres278

Awards
ok so im in college and drink probably every night. i know its not good n **** but i just want to know if it would be a good idea to take a supplement such as animal pack once im done to help my body replenish. and how about eating after drinking? ive heard mixed things as far as wut the body does to food when intoxicated.

A

avenue Red

Awards
personally for me. drinking kills all my work. i use to party all the time and have a very good diet and work out. but with the drinking never really saw any changes. until i basically stopped drinking. its just a personally choice u have to make for yourself.

T

torres278

Awards
so should i not take the animal pack after drinking? or eat after? i know im not gunna get results but ill be happy to maintain wut i have

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Drink as much water afterwards as you can handle...

Vitamins couldn't hurt, or some BCAAs in your water.

Regardless, you can kiss protein synthesis out the door. Drinking is one of the worst things fit people can do to their bodies.

A

avenue Red

Awards
ya. as much water as possible. bcaa's before and after.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
Water, Electrolytes, and food. That's what you should do after drinking.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
i'm so glad i've got my drinking under control now. 1 night on the town and its like 2 weeks hard work gone for me!

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
something like Poseidon would be the go.... if you had to drink. It's down to priorities mate.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree with Jake on this. Poseidon will def. help if you feel you need to drink. Keep in mind, that for most of us are trying to do here, drinking certainly does not help

TonySmiles

TonySmiles

Awards
Great advice already. I used to hit it up in college pretty hard about 3 times a week for sure. Then I backed down to one nite a week after that, not drunk a$$ but decently buzzed, blowin off steam ya know...anyhow, since about March of this year, I haven't drank really at all, maybe a glass of red wine a couple times a month... and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! :FUfinger: drinking imo. maybe just burn one here and there instead :lol:

I

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Keep it to a minimum. When I drink, it's usually a couple Guinness' or a few glasses of Jameson. I try not to do it often. I used to never drink, but recently I've gotten a little more involved in it. But as everyone else said, make sure you drink tons of water afterwords. I always load up on Leucine and vitamins after I drink. I never drink so much alcohol that I don't remember that I'm a bodybuilder. I usually have my last drink about 3hrs before when I want to get to bed. That allows for me to come down a bit, get in some food/casein and lots of water. I stick to what I call "Irish Weekends". Saturday and Sunday are my two days off from training and a "super" strict diet. So, I tend to drink and smoke a little on the weekend. Just keep it conservative and don't let alcohol or smoking have a grip on you. That's never a good thing. If you follow the "Work Hard, Play Hard" principle then I think you will be okay. I lift and train and diet my butt off Monday thru Friday. Saturday and Sunday I give myself a little exta fun-room.

N

Nacho1545

Awards
When I drink and take my supps IE: Beer Sunday then Monday I have my creatine, I retain the alcohol and water that I had the day before and can't lose the weight.. So I don't drink unless I am cycling my creatine (maybe its just me, but this is what I found after trial and error)..

ono

ono

Awards
problem with alcohol is your body has no storage capacity for it so it has to be used for energy at the expense of other nutritents.

Equivalent of 1g of alcohol contains 7 calories

T

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
cut it down to one or two nights per week if possible. I used to drink 5x a week or so and it was killing all gains, there is no way you can drink that much and get better, and maintaining is a chore. I don't eat if i can help it until the day after, dont get so loaded you go on a food binge. The animal pak is a good idea and I always drink a gatorade the next day and lots of water. If you must drink make sure you have a strict diet+ workout b/c if you only do it 1x a week it wont affect you too badly (cheat day :cheers:). I also started to do alot of extra cardio the morning of drinking and the day after, at least 500 cals on a treadmill each session. I figure this will help offset the cals a bit b/c it takes alotttt for me to get drunk, at least 5-6 beers for a lil buzz. Also when you drink opt for liquor and diet soda or at least light beer. hope you stop drinking like a fish, theres alot more to college than being plastered 24x7

G

gnrfan

Awards
LOL, getting hammered all the time is not good for lifting obviously, but in my experience a few nights of drinking does not really hurt anything that badly, but it is better not to do it all.

I guess I am saying that when I drink, I feel like I am achieving 90% of what is possible and not 100%.

Then again, drinking usually results in me having a lot of sex, so that may be why I am not noticing the ill effects to bad. Remember, they all look better at closing, lol.

C

crazilyfter42

Awards
A good liver health supplement before bed after drinking is worth it too.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
dont worry about it.. if its fun and you like going out getting hammered and ending up with random girls then go for it.. its four or five years if your life that u can actually partake in these activities.. ya alcohol isnt that great for your body.. but i got to Arizona state where every1 drinks.. and there is not shortage of extremely fit muscular guys at parties..
i try ot just drink vodka when i drink or hard liqourr .. i felt that the beer was just far too much extra calories for me.. try not to eat junk food while drinking.. i have made some changes this year.. junior year in college.. i dont drink within 2 hours after i workout.. and i make sure i eat first thing after i get up., also only drink thurs-sat.. and workout days i dont plan on drinking at night... honestly u will be fine.. if your not going to be a competitive bodybuilder and you have different priorities then do what u feel is right and fun for u.. just cause half the site doesnt agree with drinking while working out doesnt mean you cant do it.. what is right for them is not nessasarily right for you

F

Flyers2385

Awards
Well Said Sir :cheers:
dont worry about it.. if its fun and you like going out getting hammered and ending up with random girls then go for it.. its four or five years if your life that u can actually partake in these activities.. ya alcohol isnt that great for your body.. but i got to Arizona state where every1 drinks.. and there is not shortage of extremely fit muscular guys at parties..
i try ot just drink vodka when i drink or hard liqourr .. i felt that the beer was just far too much extra calories for me.. try not to eat junk food while drinking.. i have made some changes this year.. junior year in college.. i dont drink within 2 hours after i workout.. and i make sure i eat first thing after i get up., also only drink thurs-sat.. and workout days i dont plan on drinking at night... honestly u will be fine.. if your not going to be a competitive bodybuilder and you have different priorities then do what u feel is right and fun for u.. just cause half the site doesnt agree with drinking while working out doesnt mean you cant do it.. what is right for them is not nessasarily right for you

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
ya alcohol isnt that great for your body.. but i got to Arizona state where every1 drinks..
What are you talking about...you go to Arizona state and EVERYBODY drinks! You go to college...it's the same at any college in the country.

I really don't drink at all anymore and my gains have reflected that. I'm 22 now but when I was in college I drank all the time and worked out and didn't see any gains. I wouldn't trade those years for anything though. When it comes down to it if you're serious about making gains than be serious about it but don't let working out control your life.

I currently find drinking to just interfere with...everything. I rarely do it so when I do it completely ruins my appetite and I feel like crap the next day.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Rep coming your way.... Nice one.

J

jfk

Awards
yeah man, I graduated a couple years back and don't regret a thing. Unless you're at the competitive level or you're on a sports scholarship I wouldn't sacrifice your college life, just have realistic expectations in the gym after you party.

One suggestion would be to cycle off drinking (you read that right!). If you want to make some gains or harden up a bit then stop drinkning or cut waayyy back for month or so. Not a perfect solution but it might be the happy medium between the two choices.

M

meatNcreatine

Awards
wake up, pop ZMA's or T-booster if you got it, orange juice, multi-vitamin, large black coffee and drink lots of water through out the day. i would eat Mickey Dees just to get rid of the alcohol and do squats and die. thats what i used to do before ph use....not fun haha.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I honestly don't know how anybody who is serious about training can drink. If you are in college and you don't want to be a bodybuilder or you understand that you might hinder any gains then that's fine. Have fun. I doubt Arnold drank that much...he did smoke the MJ though.:head:

Bruth

Bruth

Awards
I honestly don't know how anybody who is serious about training can drink. If you are in college and you don't want to be a bodybuilder or you understand that you might hinder any gains then that's fine. Have fun. I doubt Arnold drank that much...he did smoke the MJ though.:head:
"Milk is for babies, Real Men Drink Beer." :D

But seriously. I have gotten ham-hammered and had some of the best work outs of my life the next day. Not that its normal, but there is more to life than Protein Shakes, Oatmeal, and 45 lbs. plates.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
if you are drinking everyday then why bother going to the gym? and dont waste your money on supps right now b/c your drinking will set you back for any gains you make in the gym. save your money for good beer and once you're done drinking then buy and take supplements!

K

Kalakbar

Awards
When I was at my heaviest (around 400), it was due to a regimen of pizza and beer. The beer was not the only factor, but it was definitely one of the bigger ones.

I think it is important to let loose every once in a while, but nightly is counterproductive to any kind of significant gains/losses.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I still do not see how somebody who is serious about making gains can drink. Drinking is counter productive. Why am I spending money on supplements,working hard in the gym, and eating right when I'm going to do something that is counter productive to that?? I drank for almost 3 years straight so maybe I just have it out of my system...

I just found this: "Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet and mental approach."-Arnold Schwarzenegger

How can someone who is 100% dedicated justify drinking??

Bruth

Bruth

Awards
I still do not see how somebody who is serious about making gains can drink. Drinking is counter productive. Why am I spending money on supplements,working hard in the gym, and eating right when I'm going to do something that is counter productive to that?? I drank for almost 3 years straight so maybe I just have it out of my system...

I just found this: "Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet and mental approach."-Arnold Schwarzenegger

How can someone who is 100% dedicated justify drinking??
Because it really does not have this terrible "OMG my muscles are fallin offs" effect that some think it does.

Dont get me wrong, if you feel drinkin is going to undercut your progress and make you feel like you are wasting your time/resources then don't.

But I for one work out to feel good about myself and how I look. Going out and drinkin with my freinds/family once a week also makes me feel good. Once you start sacrificing other aspects of your life just to improve your "gains" by a few percent you enter the land of the "fitness nazis."

The real key here is to go look in the mirror and honestly ask yourself if you will ever be a truly competeive bodybuilder and if yes, if you want that to be the sole defining aspect of you as a person?

If thats the case then by all means stop drinking, going out, and staying up late completely. In fact, why not go farther and never go out to eat or cook anything amazingly tasty without regard to carbs/fat content. I could keep going but I think everyone seas my point.

You can't take life so seriously and you certainly cant take something as simple as bbing so seriously.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Because it really does not have this terrible "OMG my muscles are fallin offs" effect that some think it does.

Dont get me wrong, if you feel drinkin is going to undercut your progress and make you feel like you are wasting your time/resources then don't.

But I for one work out to feel good about myself and how I look. Going out and drinkin with my freinds/family once a week also makes me feel good. Once you start sacrificing other aspects of your life just to improve your "gains" by a few percent you enter the land of the "fitness nazis."

The real key here is to go look in the mirror and honestly ask yourself if you will ever be a truly competeive bodybuilder and if yes, if you want that to be the sole defining aspect of you as a person?

If thats the case then by all means stop drinking, going out, and staying up late completely. In fact, why not go farther and never go out to eat or cook anything amazingly tasty without regard to carbs/fat content. I could keep going but I think everyone seas my point.

You can't take life so seriously and you certainly cant take something as simple as bbing so seriously.
Excellent point. :duel:

The_KM

The_KM

Awards
It depends how serious you are, or if you are like me, who is an all or nothing kinda' guy.

To answer your question:

If you're strongly into going 100%, which is great, then i'd refrain from alcohol. Not only is it highly carb-dense and dehydrative, the liver will prioritize digesting the alcohol, over anything else. Thus, the liver haults all other activities to break it down = counterproductive talking nutrient translocation.

Agreed with above, don't place all your eggs in one basket. You can very easily workout and bodybuild while maintaining a nice social life.

KM

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
Drinking lowers testosterone and increases estrogen which causes "man boobs" ever seen older alcoholics? It also dehydrates you so try to drink water when you drink alcohol.

I know you won't just stop drinking, but try to limit it to once a week or month if you can. I drink maybe once every 2 month or less.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
It depends how serious you are, or if you are like me, who is an all or nothing kinda' guy.

To answer your question:

If you're strongly into going 100%, which is great, then i'd refrain from alcohol. Not only is it highly carb-dense and dehydrative, the liver will prioritize digesting the alcohol, over anything else. Thus, the liver haults all other activities to break it down = counterproductive talking nutrient translocation.

Agreed with above, don't place all your eggs in one basket. You can very easily workout and bodybuild while maintaining a nice social life.

KM
I'm the same way. I'm kind of an all of nothing kind of guy. It's tough though because most of the people I know have social lives that revolve around alcohol. All I know is that my social life has sucked the past month but my gains are 10 times what they were when I was drinking. I need to find a balance but it's difficult.

B

bausten

Awards
Just be responsible. If on any "supplements" the drinking needs to stop(no brainer). Liver toxicity is no fun and should probably be your main concern.

By supplements I mean any type of unnatural testosterone
booster ect... Have fun and play smart:cheers:

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Drinking lowers testosterone and increases estrogen which causes "man boobs" ever seen older alcoholics? It also dehydrates you so try to drink water when you drink alcohol.
I work in a pub where we get a lot of RAF coming in. I've noticed in the older guys A LOT of them have man boobs from all the ale they enjoy drinking! I'm glad i managed to cut my drinking out :)

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
planetfuzz why are u so scared of alcohol... u really think one night of drinking is gonna kill years of lifting?
honestly how much has quitting drinking helped u? u claim ur gains are ten times better.. that is complete BS.. im sure in the past month if u quit drinking the most that happed is u gained a little weight.. no way u can come here and say ur gains are so phenomenlly better in one month just cause u quit drinking socially...

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
im not trying to be a **** here but i quit drinking for the past month also.. and i see no difference when i rip down ten shots two nights a week .. to when i go out and drink water all night instead... i get better sleep when i drink..it helps my insomnia and i wake up feeling like a hundred bucks!

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
im not trying to be a **** here but i quit drinking for the past month also.. and i see no difference when i rip down ten shots two nights a week .. to when i go out and drink water all night instead... i get better sleep when i drink..it helps my insomnia and i wake up feeling like a hundred bucks!
how old are you mate?

At my grand old age you certainly don't bounce back like I did in my 20's.

Alcohol make me put on the lard - fast.

I have been on holidays for the last 4 weeks and despite still eating well and doing moderate amounts of gym and cardio time I have softened up big time... all good fun at the time though :thumbsup:

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
yea man,, i will certainly take ur word for that... ago has alot to do with it.. but i do know planetfuzz i s a young whipper snapper like me

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
planetfuzz why are u so scared of alcohol... u really think one night of drinking is gonna kill years of lifting?
honestly how much has quitting drinking helped u? u claim ur gains are ten times better.. that is complete BS.. im sure in the past month if u quit drinking the most that happed is u gained a little weight.. no way u can come here and say ur gains are so phenomenlly better in one month just cause u quit drinking socially...
I don't have anything against drinking. I mean,if you can pound back 10 shots 2 times a week and feel fine then I'm jealous! I'm either going to drink a lot or I'm going to work out a lot. I know I should be more balanced but when I focus on making progress in the gym I just don't see any room for alcohol. It is just a focus thing for me personally.

I don't sleep as well when I drink. I am not going to feel 100 percent the next day so I don't want to work out if I'm not 100 percent.

My other problem is if I am out drinking I'm just filling my belly with empty calories when I could be eating something solid.

Trust me I would like to go out more but it's tough to find a balance when I am focused on making gains. It just doesn't make sense to me when my entire day revolves around maximizing my gains...why would I drink?

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
lol - sage words from the young whipper snapper - all perfectly true:thumbsup: