Making the weekly cheat meal... productive?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
As of late, I've been pondering the idea of "carb-loading" for my cheat meal, every Sunday. My craving for a cheat-meal comes rare, and when it comes, there is nothing in particular that I crave... sort of just looking for a new-texture/new-taste sort of thing... and in large-ass quantities of course.

So I have been running the idea on doing a "refeed" as the low-carb dieters would say, or doing a "carb-load" as the endurance athletes would say. I'm thinking like a whole box of wheat pasta, with whatever sauce sounds good. I love the sound of that as a cheat meal, but more importantly, I'm planning on implementing it so that the my body will gain a performance edge with the "refeed" theory.

My current diet has approximately 255g CHO daily. It's a moderate amount of CHO, and I'm wondering if it's too much everyday to gain that "refeed" boost or that "carb-load" boost that individuals speak of when eating such a meal to prepare for the week ahead.

My training goals are solely performance. I train with weights 5 days a week, and I'm working into a new running program that also has me running 5 days a week. I do not consider myself an "endurance athlete", with no workout lasting more than 45 minutes (running or weight training), but I'm still very curious if this CHO load on Sundays would be beneficial to my training. I ask this not because I feel that I need the extra CHO - I feel great on my current diet, but I'm curious if I could gain a performance edge. Not only that, but it would definintly keep me away from the BBQ shack down the street... last major cheat meal got pretty ugly.. deliciously ugly.

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
I found that dirty cheat meals shock your body more. The combination of salt, sugar, fat and protein in mass quanties coming into your body with stir some sheeeeet up.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
I found that dirty cheat meals shock your body more. The combination of salt, sugar, fat and protein in mass quanties coming into your body with stir some sheeeeet up.
i agree with this man here. i can feel when my body needs it, too. and i don't hesitate to go eat me a big ass plate of fajitas with a few orders of beans/corn and extra tortillas when it comes up either. 'carb up' if you wish, but still, do it healthy. not to say some beef/cheese/extra carbs will hurt, but you don't need to eat some b.s. like ice cream. that stuff don't count for nothin'.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
but man, you've got a decent amount of carbs already. heck, plenty. but i guess that's just my opinion, as i am 'carb sensitive'. i don't take in right now but 120-180 a day right now depending. and even when i 'bulk', i take in only about 200-250.

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
I am also a firm believer in eating whatever you want for a cheat meal. Whatever you feel like that day is what you should have, if you have a planned carb up day once per week that really isnt cheating at all, that would be part of your planned diet.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Right on. If its not dirty, what the hell is the point of cheating? Try a couple of low carb days before the cheat, low carb is not as bad as you may think.