Sodium (bloat)/Potassium Question

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If a food has 300 mg of Sodium and 300 mg of Potassium does the potassium NEGATE the sodium's water holding/bloating affects? Me and salt dont get along. Does the potasssium wash out the sodium?

Thanks

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I'm not certain if the 300 mg potassium would simply cancel out the sodium, but in general a diet rich in potassium will blunt the adverse effects of sodium on blood pressure. So it makes sense to me that if you have an equal amount of potassium with your sodium that the result is a neutral combination.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks. Anyone else have a perspective on this?

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
I am not sure, but I have wondered this also. I think I have a sodium sensitivity also. I don't even like to eat out because I blow up like a balloon and feel horrid after eating out at your run of the mill Applebees, Chili's, etc.

I've often wondered if there were any supplements to combat this. Or perhaps, just eat lots and lots of bananas.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
yes but drink more water, water and sweat drain out sodium.

BeafSteak

BeafSteak

Awards
yes but drink more water, water and sweat drain out sodium.
x2 sit in a sauna. extremely relaxing and will get rid of excess salt/water. just make sure you're hydrated before u get in there

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If a food has 300 mg of Sodium and 300 mg of Potassium does the potassium NEGATE the sodium's water holding/bloating affects? Me and salt dont get along. Does the potasssium wash out the sodium?

Thanks
In short, no. Sodium or (NaCL) is the main cation (Positively charged ion) in extracelluar fluid (or inside your arteries/veins/capillaries.) Sodium's concentration is over 10x higher in extracellular fluid than intracellular fluid regions, and it is the primary osmotically charged particle responsible for fluid shifting/maintenance within the body.

Potassium (K) in the main cation (Positively charged ion) residing in intracellular fluid (or directly inside the cells themselves.) Potassium's concentration is over 30x great in intracelluar fluid, than extracellular fluid.

The concentration differences between potassium and sodium across cell membranes create an electrochemical gradient known as the membrane potential. A cell's membrane potential is maintained by ion pumps in the cell membrane, especially the sodium, potassium-ATPase pumps. These pumps use ATP (energy) to pump sodium out of the cell in exchange for potassium.

The large proportion of energy dedicated to maintaining sodium/potassium concentration gradients emphasizes the importance of this function in sustaining life.

So, in laymens terms, your body requires a balance of these electrolytes in order to maintain homeostasis (or a normal functioning of body cellular processes.) Sodium is primarily responsible for the shifting of fluids (mainly water) in and out of the cells all while regulating hemodynamic factors such as your blood pressure and normal cellular functioning. Potassium WILL NOT negate the effects of excessive sodium intake.

If you take in an abundance of sodium, you will retain not only extra fluid through enteral (by mouth), but it can even lead to intracellular dehydration despite a euvolemic state (or normal water/fluid extracellular levels.)

Last edited:
Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn thanks man

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Trauma1 again.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Trauma1 again.
Thanks bud. I guess every now and then i post something that actually contributes positively to the board. :p