Niacin Product Request

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is a very common practice to use Niacin (nicotinic acid) to treat and improve low HDL.

There is much discussion regarding the proper type of Niacin to take. The issue revolves around the concern of liver toxicity.

Here is some information to support what i am speaking of.
Hepatotoxicity associated with sustained-release n...[Am J Med. 1992] - PubMed Result
Rechallenge with crystalline niacin after drug-induced hepatitis from sustained-release niacin

Presently NP carries tow types of Now brand Niacin:
SR - Niacin 500 mg (100 tabs) By: NOW Foods
FF - Flush-Free Niacin 500 mg (90 vcaps) By: NOW Foods

Is it possible to get a Now brand (or any brand for that matter) that is NOT sustained release and is NOT flush free. Just plain old crystalline niacin (B-3) (nicotinic acid)?

I presently have three bottles of sustained release that I ordered in error as I did not intend to get a sustained release, but surely intended not to buy flush free.

Summary: can we get some plain old crystalline niacin (B-3) (nicotinic acid) stocked at the Planet?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Somewhere I would rather not shop:

TwinLab
Niacin (B-3) Caps
100 Capsules
Strength: 1000 MG
Serving Size: 1
TL-1276 #1158760

List Price $15.99
Sale Price
$6.25

Cerberus

Awards
Good idea. This would hit my shopping cart as well.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, then I can make my own Poseidon! Get this in Nutra!

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I bought five or more bottles of the NOW niacin last time.....you got a friend in me ;)

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That would be good.I was just looking for NON flush free Niacin today and couldnt find any locally!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That would be good.I was just looking for NON flush free Niacin today and couldnt find any locally!
Yea most stores only carry the flush free, or time released kind.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Target has both kinds. I usually get the flush kind there really cheap. It's very effective, too!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I found some in a natural holistic herb new age hippie health food store. The chains seem to carry the now brands and the likes which seem to all be flush free and time released.

WayoftheWolf

Just watch out!... the Flush can be brutal. I've found it to be a great indicator of how well my glucose tolerance is (ie lower carb = more burning red sensation for me)

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I enjoy the flush. It can be intense while it occurs, but once it is over, I feel clean and refreshed.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Not saying I'm starving just not eating thirty or so minutes before bed ;)

Turk

Awards
This is EXACTLY what I NEED. I have an order placed somewhere else and the stupid place is back ordered on that product AND the liquid fish oil AND the liquid cod liver oil. All 3! Of course they still list it on their site as if it were available.

Pure NON-time release niacin would be HUGE for me. An added bonus would be fish oil/cod liver oil in liquid form would awesome as well for us cholesterol people. Come on nutra! :dance:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
this would be nice. I hate buying from that other place anyhow.

Turk

Awards
Make it in 500mg doses too please. I took a 1000mg and thought I was about to die :lol:

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Nicotinic acid is good if you can tolerate the flush. It also increases cellular NAD+.

Niacinamide and nicotinamide seems to inhibit SIRT1 the latter didn't seem to increase NAD+. Additionally I think nicotinamide + NNMT enzyme produces a toxic compound. So I'm assume these are some of the reasons why people do not liek the sustained release or non-flush versions?

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking for a good niacin supplement as we speak. I seen doctors recommend 1,500mg - 3,000mg per day. They say to take the dose either all at once or 2 doses - 12 hours apart. This minimizes negative liver toxicity. Just like the time released Niacin kills the liver - if you dose 3 or 4 times a day it's really bad for the liver just the same. There's the regular flush type Niacin (nicotinic acid) and the flush free type Niacin (inositol hexaniacinate). 1.5-3 grams a day can lower cholesterol 5-20%!!! Also the effects it has raising HDL (good) cholesterol is great. At first experts weren't sure if the flush free (inositol hexaniacinate) kind had the same cholesterol improving effects but there's been tons of recent studies that show the flush free niacin (inositol hexaniacinate) has all the same benefits as regular Niacin - however it doesn't flush AND it's easier on the liver. I'd LOVE to see 500mg Niacin (the inositol hexaniacinate version) capsules in BIG bottle counts. I plan to take 3 grams a day in 2 seperate doses 12 hours apart. Ideally 1,500mg caps would be nice but not realistic since they say to increase the dose over the first couple of weeks until you reach 3,000mg.

Diagnose-Me: Treatment: Inositol Hexaniacinate

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
1000 mg time release Niacin + 500 mg Niacinimide gave me some pretty good, sustained energy throughout the day. The liver thing has me a little worried so I have ceased the niacin for now until I can get the regular kind.

Ninjo

Ninjo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone know what the minimum dose of regular Niacin that would be required to have a positive impact on HDL? Reason I ask is I can remember talking to a pharmacist some time ago and he said I would have to pop like 8 500mg caps a day in order for it to be effective. That seems a bit much to me but who knows.

This same pharmacist also told me that there should be no detrimental impact on my liver at this daily dosage.

Turk

Awards
Anyone know what the minimum dose of regular Niacin that would be required to have a positive impact on HDL? Reason I ask is I can remember talking to a pharmacist some time ago and he said I would have to pop like 8 500mg caps a day in order for it to be effective. That seems a bit much to me but who knows.

This same pharmacist also told me that there should be no detrimental impact on my liver at this daily dosage.
My doc started me out at 1,500mg if that helps.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established

I seen 3 studies showing an impact of 15-25% increase in HDL and they were at 3 grams a day. It said to start low, about 500mg, and work your way up over 2-3 weeks to 3 grams.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
How can you tell the difference between the sustained release and regular niacin? The NOW brand of niacin says sustained release, but the ingredients are just niacin. I thought the sustained release was the niacinamide and the flush free was insoitol hex......

I recently bought some 100mg per tab niacin. I am hoping for just pure niacin. I had a slight flush about two hours later. Took another 100 mg tab 6 hours later and no flush. I know I probably need to up the dosage, but I am going slow. :)

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
How can you tell the difference between the sustained release and regular niacin? The NOW brand of niacin says sustained release, but the ingredients are just niacin. I thought the sustained release was the niacinamide and the flush free was insoitol hex......

I recently bought some 100mg per tab niacin. I am hoping for just pure niacin. I had a slight flush about two hours later. Took another 100 mg tab 6 hours later and no flush. I know I probably need to up the dosage, but I am going slow. :)
The only way to tell is from what the bottle says - if it says time released or sustained released then it is. If it doesn't it should not be.

Niacinamide and inositol hexanicotinate are both 'flush free' versions of Niacin but it seems that inositol hexanicotinate has more clinical tests to back up its positive effects. The 'regular' flushing Niacin is usually labeled as nicotinic acid.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
OK, I guess I will wait and see as I up the dose. My bottle is from Harvest Health, a local granola shop and the only ingredient is niacin@100mg. No wording on the bottle that says sustained release, so it probably is the regular flushing kind.