The Flash

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to know also i was looking forward to it =(

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I remember Dsade saying that the producers weren't really grasping the whole concept of bulk and just wanted to sell little bags of it.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I remember Dsade saying that the producers weren't really grasping the whole concept of bulk and just wanted to sell little bags of it.
If I buy bulk I want the the entire cow diced up in one bag (I like me my beef jerky :D.) Now that I think of it I'm suprised I don't see beef jerky at Costco.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Make it yourself. It's so easy and tastes a heap better than the processed type. In fact, I'm going to go get me some meat tomorrow and make a batch :)

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Make it yourself. It's so easy and tastes a heap better than the processed type. In fact, I'm going to go get me some meat tomorrow and make a batch :)
Do you use your oven or do you have a dehydrator?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
You have my attention. How is this done?

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'd love to make my own beef jerky. It'd save me money and it'd be unprocessed. I'm looking into getting a dehydrator unless this can be done using an oven.

acshadow

acshadow

Awards
  • Established
please...continue

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cub's Aussie Beef Jerky

Go to your local butcher and get them to slice up some beef really thin. I usually get around 1-1 1/2 lbs or so. Mix up a marinade in a large ceramic bowl which consists of soy sauce, brown sugar, chilli, garlic, plenty of ground black pepper and whatever else you feel like experimenting with at the time. Put the meat in this and mix it up nice and good. Leave it for a couple of days, turning it a couple of times. This really gets the flavour into the meat. I then take it out and either use my dehydrator or my oven.

The oven method: Have the oven on a low setting, so that it is basically just warm inside. Lay the marinated beef out nice and flat on baking trays (put some grease proof paper down to prevent the meat sticking). Put the trays in the oven and leave the door slightly ajar. You'll need to monitor it and flip the beef over after a few hours. It's best to do this on a day you're home. It takes a bit of practise to get it right without drying it too much.

The dehydrator method: Lay the meat out evenly and flick the machine on! It will dry out MUCH QUICKER so monitor it closely!

I prefer the oven over my dehydrator. The meat doesn't need to be refrigerated and can be taken everywhere! Give it a go :)

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Very cool, I think this thread just took a 180. I'm doing this, thanks.

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
Quick question about the homemade jerky. I made some and it came out pretty good but I am a little confused about the macros. I started off with 3lbs of beef but ended up with 1-1.5lbs (due to drying) so when calculating macros which weight should I use???

nicholas

nicholas

Awards
Quick question about the homemade jerky. I made some and it came out pretty good but I am a little confused about the macros. I started off with 3lbs of beef but ended up with 1-1.5lbs (due to drying) so when calculating macros which weight should I use???
Take your end weight so lets say it reduced down to 24 oz divided by your start weight 48 oz. That gives you .5 So lets say you wanted to use the macro for a 4 oz serving. Take .5 * 4 gives you 2 oz. That is what I would weigh the new jerky out to. Get what Im sayin kinda?

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
how long would homemade jerky last without adding any preservatives? (other than a bit of salt/soy sace, etc)

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
Take your end weight so lets say it reduced down to 24 oz divided by your start weight 48 oz. That gives you .5 So lets say you wanted to use the macro for a 4 oz serving. Take .5 * 4 gives you 2 oz. That is what I would weigh the new jerky out to. Get what Im sayin kinda?
So I calculate the macros for the dried weight???