Now Foods Policosanol

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Hi Stryder. Any chance you can get some NOW Foods Policosanol? I don't want to order from bb.com (hehe). Plus there's some other stuff that you already carry and I need, like CLA, etc. so I'll just wait. Let me know if you get Policosanol, I'll be ordering about 4 bottles of it.
Thanks.

stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey silver, yeah that won't be a problem at all. Will place the order today and should be able to get it in by Friday or Monday.

size

Awards
  • Established
Policosanol is a great supplement to use for cholesterol.

stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
From what I've been hearing, the red yeast rice is great at lowering total cholesterol, whereas the policosanol is better for increasing HDL (good cholesterol) may be a good adjunct to the red yeast rice.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I'll place my order as soon as you get it.

I think the main difference is that red yeast rice [is a | produces a] statin, whereas policosanol [is/does] not.
Red yeast rice info on webmd (one of many): http://my.webmd.com/hw/drug_data/d04426a1?orgpath=/hw/drug_data/d04426a1
Policosanol info on webmd: not found

Policosanol info on pubmed (one of many): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15617880

Comparison (one of many): http://groups-beta.google.com/group/misc.health.diabetes/browse_thread/thread/7366f8fde807d6e4/85b61f787f3161a2?q=policosanol+vs+statin&_done=/groups?q=policosanol+vs+statin&&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#85b61f787f3161a2

Almost all statin related articles listed/suggest CoQ10 supplementation. Obviously I need to do more research but I've been using policosanol for over a year without any side effects. My roomate uses a prescription med (pravachol) which is a statin and he has to take extra measures to avoid interaction with other meds and possible adverse reactions, etc.

size

Awards
  • Established
I use it and believe it is very useful.
Here is some info :)

At least 16 double-blind, placebo-controlled studies, involving a total of more than 1,500 people and ranging in length from 6 weeks to 12 months, have found policosanol manufactured from sugarcane effective for improving cholesterol levels.29–42,71,74 The cumulative results suggest that policosanol treatment can reduce LDL ("bad") cholesterol by 21 to 29% and total cholesterol by a slightly lower amount; in addition policosanol appears to raise HDL ("good") cholesterol by 8 to 15%.73 Triglyceride levels do not appear to be affected. Interestingly, these trials enrolled only people whose cholesterol levels had not previously improved with diet alone.

29. Crespo N, Alvarez R, Mas R, et al. Effect of policosanol on patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and hypercholesterolemia: a pilot study. Curr Ther Res. 1997;58:44–51.
30. Castano G, Mas R, Fernandez L, et al. Effects of policosanol on postmenopausal women with type II hypercholesterolemia. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2000;14:187–195.
31. Torres O, Agramonte AJ, Illnait J, et al. Treatment of hypercholesterolemia in NIDDM with policosanol. Diabetes Care. 1995;19:393–397.
32. Mas R, Castano G, Illnait J, et al. Effects of policosanol in patients with type II hypercholesterolemia and additional coronary risk factors. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1999;65:439–447.
33. Aneiros E, Mas R, Calderon B, et al. Effect of policosanol in lowering cholesterol levels in patients with type II hypercholesterolemia. Curr Ther Res. 1995;56:176–182.
34. Castano G, Canetti M, Moreira M, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of policosanol in elderly patients with type II hypercholesterolemia: a 12-month study. Curr Ther Res. 1995;56:819–828.
35. Castano G, Tula L, Canetti M, et al. Effects of policosanol in hypertensive patients with type II hypercholesterolemia. Curr Ther Res. 1996;57:691–699.
36. Aneiros E, Calderon B, Mas R, et al. Effect of successive dose increases of policosanol on the lipid profile and tolerability of treatment. Curr Ther Res. 1993;54:304–312.
37. Castano G, Mas R, Nodarse M, et al. One-year study of the efficacy and safety of policosanol (5 mg twice daily) in the treatment of type II hypercholesterolemia. Curr Ther Res. 1995;56:296–304.
38. Batista J, Stusser R, Penichet M, et al. Doppler-ultrasound pilot study of the effects of long-term policosanol therapy on carotid-vertebral atherosclerosis. Curr Ther Res. 1995;56:906–914.
39. Pons P, Rodriguez M, Mas R, et al. One-year efficacy and safety of policosanol in patients with type II hypercholesterolemia. Curr Ther Res. 1994;55:1084–1092.
40. Pons P, Rodriguez M, Robaina C, et al. Effects of successive dose increases of policosanol on the lipid profile of patients with type II hypercholesterolaemia and tolerability to treatment. Int J Clin Pharm Res. 1994;14:27–33.
41. Pons P, Mas R, Illnait J, et al. Efficacy and safety of policosanol in patients with primary hypercholesterolemia. Curr Ther Res. 1992;52:507–513.
42. Zardoya R, Tula L, Castano G, et al. Effects of policosanol on hypercholesterolemic patients with abnormal serum biochemical indicators of hepatic function. Curr Ther Res. 1996;57:568–577.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
silversurfer - Could you tell us what kind of dosing you prefer?

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I took 20mg Ed for the first month. 10mg ED thereafter.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Hi again. Not in stock yet, any updates on when you'll have it? Thanks.