No Certificate of Analysis for Fish Oil - AnabolicMinds.com

No Certificate of Analysis for Fish Oil

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member

No Certificate of Analysis for Fish Oil

So i contacted NP in hopes that they can send me a copy of their COA for their fish oil. Unfortunately, they do not have one.

To those who are looking to buy fish oil, i would refrain from buying from a manufacturer who does not have their products analyzed. For all you know, it could contain harmful chemicals.

I doubt i'll be purchasing any other products from them. I'd rather pay a little more and buy from a reliable manufacturer.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

I know this is always a concern for me when looking into fish oil. I like to know it has been tested and what kind of fish it came from -- especially when you start getting into high doses each day, which I'm sure a lot of us do.

Nutra's fish oil are a good deal, so it would be nice to know a little more about them. Any input from the NP fellas is appreciated.
  3. New Member

Correct. It might not have any side effects now, but who knows in a year, 5 years, 10 years down the road?

I e-mailed them asking for COA, this is the reply I got, which was very confusing to me and was rather irrelevant to my request:

"Thanks for asking, we have it currently on order, making this up from
    scratch takes a couple months usually last update I see was 12/29/10 So
    check back with CS BI-weekly and the site, whenever you wish."
    •   

4. Board Sponsor

I have the COA; I purchase this on behalf of Nutra.

If you PM me your email, I will get it out to you.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.

Thanks for emailing that to me as well although it did not contain the Arsenic,Mercury,Lead,Dioxins and PCBS, that to me are more important than if it conforms to being a yellow capsule lol.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by custom View Post
    I have the COA; I purchase this on behalf of Nutra.

If you PM me your email, I will get it out to you.
    PM sent..
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

Thanks for the quick e-mail.

It's true though, there is no information on toxins, PCBs, or heavy metals.. : (
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

can anyone from nutra comment on this?
  9. Board Sponsor

I have an inquiry in with our supplier to try and see if they have that documentation.
  10. New Member

Reputation Reputation

I'd like to know this too as it's the reason I stopped buying Nutra's fish oil, and I used to get it religiously.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

I have an inquiry in with our supplier to try and see if they have that documentation.
    Thank you custom. I'm sure you know my continued interest in this topic is not to stir the proverbial pot -- I'm a big Nutra fan -- It's just information that is extremely important to me (any many others) the customer.

What it really comes down to is I mega dose fish oil and spend a lot of money on this particular supplement when I purchase it, and I'd like to drop that money off with nutra, but I can't unless I know a little more about the product.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can find.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by freefall365 View Post
    Thank you custom. I'm sure you know my continued interest in this topic is not to stir the proverbial pot -- I'm a big Nutra fan -- It's just information that is extremely important to me (any many others) the customer.

What it really comes down to is I mega dose fish oil and spend a lot of money on this particular supplement when I purchase it, and I'd like to drop that money off with nutra, but I can't unless I know a little more about the product.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can find.
    ...........X2
  13. Board Sponsor

Yeah, no problem.

I take 8-10 caps a day myself as well as give 4 daily to my dog. So this is of interest to me as well.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.

hmmm i take quite a bit as well....any word on this?
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  260 lbs.

I would like to know what comes of this as well. I bought the big bottle last order and have been taking 6-8 a day.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Yeah, no problem.

I take 8-10 caps a day myself as well as give 4 daily to my dog. So this is of interest to me as well.
    I was thinking about giving my dog some. Does yours not chew the cap? My dogs breath is bad enough as it is lol.

Sent from my Android device
  17. Board Sponsor

Yeah, apparently my dog likes the taste.

Our supplier did not have this requested information; they only validated what was on the COA through proper testing.

We're contacting our lab to see if they can test for the proposed toxins on our subsequent batches of this product.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Our supplier did not have this requested information; they only validated what was on the COA through proper testing.

We're contacting our lab to see if they can test for the proposed toxins on our subsequent batches of this product.
    Much appreciated custom, I want to order the 1000 count bottle again anyways and if this checks out, I will be doing that.
    If my direct and cynical approach bothers you, just ignore it. I'm just saying what you need to hear ;).
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

In for more info because I currently use the NP brand fish oil.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Hah! My golden just took two caps like a champ!

21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  288 lbs.

This question needs to be asked: what is Nutra testing for if not lead, mercury, etc in fish oil??? Who the hell sells fish oil that hasn't been tested for these things, when there is a long and well-known list of contaminents in the fish used for commercial fish oil???

FTR, I do not use Nutra fish oil nor any other Nutra products anymore. I stopped after the release of the touted "Platinum Series", which promised COAs on every batch. Meanwhile, most products didn't have COAs on the website, and the few that did were from several years ago. Testing a product once does not exempt said product from all future testing.

There are plenty of quality fish oils out there that are stringently tested and are not terribly expensive. I use Carlson now almost exclusively. Personally, I wouldn't come anywhere near Nutra fish oil.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

This news is really disappointing to me. I recently bought the one thousand count bottle based of NP's reputation for quality. This is what I get for lack of first hand research.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

Ya I used to use their fish oil but recently switched to the Controlled Labs fish oil due to the pricing on the new years sale. If a COA isnt put out looks like ill be continuing buying these too.
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeswimlive View Post
    This news is really disappointing to me. I recently bought the one thousand count bottle based of NP's reputation for quality. This is what I get for lack of first hand research.
    X2. This disappoints me as well. You would think this question would have been raised by Nutra when they were getting the material in the first place... I realize a lot of places out there don't show the COA, but in my opinion that's just sloppy and somewhat reckless with a supplement like fish oil.

I had to completely stop using these. IDK why i thought i remembered seeing an analysis of these before that checked out, and i just purchased without looking into it during the sale. i must have got it confused with another brand.

anyway, looks like i got a big ass tub of fish oil i won't be using...

I feel bad complaining.. but...
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

............edit: hit post like 10 times because site was slow -- eventually it posted same thing a bunch of times....
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

............edit: hit post like 10 times because site was slow -- eventually it posted same thing a bunch of times....
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

28. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

I feel bad complaining.. but...
    I wouldn't.

This is from the website on the product write up:

"Molecularly distilled and processed under strict quality controls, NutraPlanet.com ensures our fish oil is free of possibly harmful contaminants."

You can't claim that without COA. It is false advertising. I may email customer service tomorrow.
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Fortunately custom and the NP crew appear to be working to resolve this issue for us. Fish oil is one of those products that is such a staple in most peoples supplement regimes that purity is paramount, especially with regards to the amounts consumed per day.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  30. Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon13 View Post
    This question needs to be asked: what is Nutra testing for if not lead, mercury, etc in fish oil??? Who the hell sells fish oil that hasn't been tested for these things, when there is a long and well-known list of contaminents in the fish used for commercial fish oil???

FTR, I do not use Nutra fish oil nor any other Nutra products anymore. I stopped after the release of the touted "Platinum Series", which promised COAs on every batch. Meanwhile, most products didn't have COAs on the website, and the few that did were from several years ago. Testing a product once does not exempt said product from all future testing.

There are plenty of quality fish oils out there that are stringently tested and are not terribly expensive. I use Carlson now almost exclusively. Personally, I wouldn't come anywhere near Nutra fish oil.
    I will post the same thing here as I sent another member via PM:

I certainly understand your frustration, and share it with you...not only do I have my crippled dog taking large doses of this, I had my wife who just delivered our first child on this as well. If this product is contaminated, then honestly, I have much more problems than just a few unhappy customers.

And this is really my fault.

For all of our bulk powders, we do all of the testing. For all of our capped products, since we do not do any pf the packaging, we do not do the testing and instead rely on the word of the supplier in conforming to the COA since they are they ones who have to comply to the GMP specifications.

When purchasing our fish oil, I gave a list of peramiters that the product must comply to (what is stated on our website, mercury, toxins, etc). Our supplier ensured me their product was sufficient and so I purchased it. It is common practice that companies will not divulge third party testing, even if that testing is positive, so I took our supplier's word that they had complied with GMP protocol as they should have. Now of course it turns out that it was not that they did not want to divulge the info, but they simply had not done it.

It is a shame, because this is something that the new GMP guidelines...which everyone must conform to...was supposed to fix.

Again, this is solely my fault and I am taking full responsibility.

I have a call out this morning to San Raphael in California who does all of our testing on raw materials to see how quickly they can turn around a heavy metals test. Usually they take 14 days, but obviously we'd pay for the priority status on this to have it to you and anyone else who wants it ASAP.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

I certainly understand your frustration, and share it with you...not only do I have my crippled dog taking large doses of this, I had my wife who just delivered our first child on this as well. If this product is contaminated, then honestly, I have much more problems than just a few unhappy customers.

For all of our bulk powders, we do all of the testing. For all of our capped products, since we do not do any pf the packaging, we do not do the testing and instead rely on the word of the supplier in conforming to the COA since they are they ones who have to comply to the GMP specifications.

When purchasing our fish oil, I gave a list of peramiters that the product must comply to (what is stated on our website, mercury, toxins, etc). Our supplier ensured me their product was sufficient and so I purchased it. It is common practice that companies will not divulge third party testing, even if that testing is positive, so I took our supplier's word that they had complied with GMP protocol as they should have. Now of course it turns out that it was not that they did not want to divulge the info, but they simply had not done it.

It is a shame, because this is something that the new GMP guidelines...which everyone must conform to...was supposed to fix.

I have a call out this morning to San Raphael in California who does all of our testing on raw materials to see how quickly they can turn around a heavy metals test. Usually they take 14 days, but obviously we'd pay for the priority status on this to have it to you and anyone else who wants it ASAP.
    Sounds like you're doing everything you can to get this worked out. I hope the tests come back clean!

32. New Member

Reputation Reputation

So you're basically saying that they said it's ok by word of mouth? WHUT?

Thanks for getting this checked out though. If it comes back quality I will purchase NP Fish Oil again.
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

It is common practice that companies will not divulge third party testing, even if that testing is positive, so I took our supplier's word that they had complied with GMP protocol as they should have. Now of course it turns out that it was not that they did not want to divulge the info, but they simply had not done it.
    The more and more I learn about the inner workings of how our supplements are made, the less and less I want to ingest them If this is indeed common practice, it's sad.

Looking forward to hearing the results, Custom. thanks.
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Any word? I need to know if I need to buy new fish oil and toss out the nearly 900 capsules that are left.
  35. Board Sponsor

We should have the results on Wed.
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Thank you for the update. Keep us in the loop.
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

The more and more I learn about the inner workings of how our supplements are made, the less and less I want to ingest them If this is indeed common practice, it's sad.

Looking forward to hearing the results, Custom. thanks.
    It's not just supplements, but the food industry too.

38. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by bikeswimlive View Post
    Any word? I need to know if I need to buy new fish oil and toss out the nearly 900 capsules that are left.
    Screw that. If they're tainted, Nutra better be reimbursing me.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.

thanks dude
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Screw that. If they're tainted, Nutra better be reimbursing me.
    Well, if they aren't tested, we won't know if they are tainted. If there is no COA, I will be requesting a refund.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Security Certificate expiration
    By brugalou in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 08:41 PM
  2. gIFT CERTIFICATE
    By IRISHRYG in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 09:50 AM
  3. COA's (Certificate of Analysis)
    By CustomCapsule in forum Custom Capsule