No Certificate of Analysis for Fish Oil

boba7523

Awards
So i contacted NP in hopes that they can send me a copy of their COA for their fish oil. Unfortunately, they do not have one.

To those who are looking to buy fish oil, i would refrain from buying from a manufacturer who does not have their products analyzed. For all you know, it could contain harmful chemicals.

I doubt i'll be purchasing any other products from them. I'd rather pay a little more and buy from a reliable manufacturer.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
I know this is always a concern for me when looking into fish oil. I like to know it has been tested and what kind of fish it came from -- especially when you start getting into high doses each day, which I'm sure a lot of us do.

Nutra's fish oil are a good deal, so it would be nice to know a little more about them. Any input from the NP fellas is appreciated.

boba7523

Awards
Correct. It might not have any side effects now, but who knows in a year, 5 years, 10 years down the road?

I e-mailed them asking for COA, this is the reply I got, which was very confusing to me and was rather irrelevant to my request:

"Thanks for asking, we have it currently on order, making this up from
scratch takes a couple months usually last update I see was 12/29/10 So
check back with CS BI-weekly and the site, whenever you wish."

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
I have the COA; I purchase this on behalf of Nutra.

If you PM me your email, I will get it out to you.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for emailing that to me as well although it did not contain the Arsenic,Mercury,Lead,Dioxins and PCBS, that to me are more important than if it conforms to being a yellow capsule lol.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the quick e-mail.

It's true though, there is no information on toxins, PCBs, or heavy metals.. : (

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
can anyone from nutra comment on this?

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
I have an inquiry in with our supplier to try and see if they have that documentation.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd like to know this too as it's the reason I stopped buying Nutra's fish oil, and I used to get it religiously.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
I have an inquiry in with our supplier to try and see if they have that documentation.
Thank you custom. I'm sure you know my continued interest in this topic is not to stir the proverbial pot -- I'm a big Nutra fan -- It's just information that is extremely important to me (any many others) the customer.

What it really comes down to is I mega dose fish oil and spend a lot of money on this particular supplement when I purchase it, and I'd like to drop that money off with nutra, but I can't unless I know a little more about the product.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can find.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Thank you custom. I'm sure you know my continued interest in this topic is not to stir the proverbial pot -- I'm a big Nutra fan -- It's just information that is extremely important to me (any many others) the customer.

What it really comes down to is I mega dose fish oil and spend a lot of money on this particular supplement when I purchase it, and I'd like to drop that money off with nutra, but I can't unless I know a little more about the product.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can find.
...........X2

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, no problem.

I take 8-10 caps a day myself as well as give 4 daily to my dog. So this is of interest to me as well.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
hmmm i take quite a bit as well....any word on this?

Jabb

Awards
I would like to know what comes of this as well. I bought the big bottle last order and have been taking 6-8 a day.

Evil Eagle

Awards
Yeah, no problem.

I take 8-10 caps a day myself as well as give 4 daily to my dog. So this is of interest to me as well.
I was thinking about giving my dog some. Does yours not chew the cap? My dogs breath is bad enough as it is lol.

Sent from my Android device

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, apparently my dog likes the taste.

Our supplier did not have this requested information; they only validated what was on the COA through proper testing.

We're contacting our lab to see if they can test for the proposed toxins on our subsequent batches of this product.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Our supplier did not have this requested information; they only validated what was on the COA through proper testing.

We're contacting our lab to see if they can test for the proposed toxins on our subsequent batches of this product.
Much appreciated custom, I want to order the 1000 count bottle again anyways and if this checks out, I will be doing that.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
In for more info because I currently use the NP brand fish oil.

Evil Eagle

Awards

Hah! My golden just took two caps like a champ!

Dragon13

Dragon13

Awards
  • Established

This question needs to be asked: what is Nutra testing for if not lead, mercury, etc in fish oil??? Who the hell sells fish oil that hasn't been tested for these things, when there is a long and well-known list of contaminents in the fish used for commercial fish oil???

FTR, I do not use Nutra fish oil nor any other Nutra products anymore. I stopped after the release of the touted "Platinum Series", which promised COAs on every batch. Meanwhile, most products didn't have COAs on the website, and the few that did were from several years ago. Testing a product once does not exempt said product from all future testing.

There are plenty of quality fish oils out there that are stringently tested and are not terribly expensive. I use Carlson now almost exclusively. Personally, I wouldn't come anywhere near Nutra fish oil.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
This news is really disappointing to me. I recently bought the one thousand count bottle based of NP's reputation for quality. This is what I get for lack of first hand research.

japohl1

japohl1

Awards
  • Established
Ya I used to use their fish oil but recently switched to the Controlled Labs fish oil due to the pricing on the new years sale. If a COA isnt put out looks like ill be continuing buying these too.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
This news is really disappointing to me. I recently bought the one thousand count bottle based of NP's reputation for quality. This is what I get for lack of first hand research.
X2. This disappoints me as well. You would think this question would have been raised by Nutra when they were getting the material in the first place... I realize a lot of places out there don't show the COA, but in my opinion that's just sloppy and somewhat reckless with a supplement like fish oil.

I had to completely stop using these. IDK why i thought i remembered seeing an analysis of these before that checked out, and i just purchased without looking into it during the sale. i must have got it confused with another brand.

anyway, looks like i got a big ass tub of fish oil i won't be using...

I feel bad complaining.. but...

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
............edit: hit post like 10 times because site was slow -- eventually it posted same thing a bunch of times....

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
............edit: hit post like 10 times because site was slow -- eventually it posted same thing a bunch of times....

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
I feel bad complaining.. but...
I wouldn't.

This is from the website on the product write up:

"Molecularly distilled and processed under strict quality controls, NutraPlanet.com ensures our fish oil is free of possibly harmful contaminants."

You can't claim that without COA. It is false advertising. I may email customer service tomorrow.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Fortunately custom and the NP crew appear to be working to resolve this issue for us. Fish oil is one of those products that is such a staple in most peoples supplement regimes that purity is paramount, especially with regards to the amounts consumed per day.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
This question needs to be asked: what is Nutra testing for if not lead, mercury, etc in fish oil??? Who the hell sells fish oil that hasn't been tested for these things, when there is a long and well-known list of contaminents in the fish used for commercial fish oil???

FTR, I do not use Nutra fish oil nor any other Nutra products anymore. I stopped after the release of the touted "Platinum Series", which promised COAs on every batch. Meanwhile, most products didn't have COAs on the website, and the few that did were from several years ago. Testing a product once does not exempt said product from all future testing.

There are plenty of quality fish oils out there that are stringently tested and are not terribly expensive. I use Carlson now almost exclusively. Personally, I wouldn't come anywhere near Nutra fish oil.
I will post the same thing here as I sent another member via PM:

I certainly understand your frustration, and share it with you...not only do I have my crippled dog taking large doses of this, I had my wife who just delivered our first child on this as well. If this product is contaminated, then honestly, I have much more problems than just a few unhappy customers.

And this is really my fault.

For all of our bulk powders, we do all of the testing. For all of our capped products, since we do not do any pf the packaging, we do not do the testing and instead rely on the word of the supplier in conforming to the COA since they are they ones who have to comply to the GMP specifications.

When purchasing our fish oil, I gave a list of peramiters that the product must comply to (what is stated on our website, mercury, toxins, etc). Our supplier ensured me their product was sufficient and so I purchased it. It is common practice that companies will not divulge third party testing, even if that testing is positive, so I took our supplier's word that they had complied with GMP protocol as they should have. Now of course it turns out that it was not that they did not want to divulge the info, but they simply had not done it.

It is a shame, because this is something that the new GMP guidelines...which everyone must conform to...was supposed to fix.

Again, this is solely my fault and I am taking full responsibility.

I have a call out this morning to San Raphael in California who does all of our testing on raw materials to see how quickly they can turn around a heavy metals test. Usually they take 14 days, but obviously we'd pay for the priority status on this to have it to you and anyone else who wants it ASAP.

Evil Eagle

Awards

I certainly understand your frustration, and share it with you...not only do I have my crippled dog taking large doses of this, I had my wife who just delivered our first child on this as well. If this product is contaminated, then honestly, I have much more problems than just a few unhappy customers.

For all of our bulk powders, we do all of the testing. For all of our capped products, since we do not do any pf the packaging, we do not do the testing and instead rely on the word of the supplier in conforming to the COA since they are they ones who have to comply to the GMP specifications.

When purchasing our fish oil, I gave a list of peramiters that the product must comply to (what is stated on our website, mercury, toxins, etc). Our supplier ensured me their product was sufficient and so I purchased it. It is common practice that companies will not divulge third party testing, even if that testing is positive, so I took our supplier's word that they had complied with GMP protocol as they should have. Now of course it turns out that it was not that they did not want to divulge the info, but they simply had not done it.

It is a shame, because this is something that the new GMP guidelines...which everyone must conform to...was supposed to fix.

I have a call out this morning to San Raphael in California who does all of our testing on raw materials to see how quickly they can turn around a heavy metals test. Usually they take 14 days, but obviously we'd pay for the priority status on this to have it to you and anyone else who wants it ASAP.
Sounds like you're doing everything you can to get this worked out. I hope the tests come back clean!

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

So you're basically saying that they said it's ok by word of mouth? WHUT?

Thanks for getting this checked out though. If it comes back quality I will purchase NP Fish Oil again.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
It is common practice that companies will not divulge third party testing, even if that testing is positive, so I took our supplier's word that they had complied with GMP protocol as they should have. Now of course it turns out that it was not that they did not want to divulge the info, but they simply had not done it.
The more and more I learn about the inner workings of how our supplements are made, the less and less I want to ingest them :sigh1: If this is indeed common practice, it's sad.

Looking forward to hearing the results, Custom. thanks.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
Any word? I need to know if I need to buy new fish oil and toss out the nearly 900 capsules that are left.

Evil Eagle

Awards
The more and more I learn about the inner workings of how our supplements are made, the less and less I want to ingest them :sigh1: If this is indeed common practice, it's sad.

Looking forward to hearing the results, Custom. thanks.
It's not just supplements, but the food industry too.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
Screw that. If they're tainted, Nutra better be reimbursing me.
Well, if they aren't tested, we won't know if they are tainted. If there is no COA, I will be requesting a refund.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Screw that. If they're tainted, Nutra better be reimbursing me.
I agree but NP will make it right for everyone if there is an issue because it is their name on the package, not their supplier.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
TBH man, I never really thought about purity of fish oil. My main concern was finding the 1,200mg softgels cuz I eat like 12 of those a day. I just pick 'em up at Walmart or whatev's ... I kind of DO like to see the ones that say they're tested free of mercury - but then again, my brain is so fried already that I doubt the mercury will harm it! LOL!!

As long as whatever's in there doesn't keep me from being able to lay some quality pipe when my old lady gets a twinkle in her eye ... I'm good!!

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Before anyone asks, "Why isn't this signed?"...we requested a PDF proof be sent as soon as testing was completed. We typically receive the 'official' copy in the mail, but wanted to get the results posted for you guys ASAp.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Before anyone asks, "Why isn't this signed?"...we requested a PDF proof be sent as soon as testing was completed. We typically receive the 'official' copy in the mail, but wanted to get the results posted for you guys ASAp.
That is great news Custom and thanks for posting that so quickly. I see a 1000 count fish oil on my next order!