Canadian Customs Charges?

TyePo

Awards
I just recently made a purchase, 2 tubs of omega sports ultima and I was wondering how much I might be charged in duties/custom charges? I've never ordered from here before, read a couple threads and some people were saying they didn't even get charged them at all? that'd be awesome.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Canuckguy

Awards
I've ordered maybe ten times from Nutraplanet, and only been charged I think once or twice. And when I was charged it was something like 10 bucks on a 200 dollar order.

TyePo

Awards
That's awesome, I never ordered here because I always thought that customs charges would be high for some reason but sounds like I'll be back here a lot more often.

Thanks for the reply

TyePo

Awards
I'm not sure what I used, I didn't pick just chose the express shipping. Does anything bad happen if its fedex? I usually ship with fedex from bb.com and have always had fast deliveries from them and never had any seized. Is USPS faster here?

niCe99

niCe99

Awards
  • Established
dont order via fedex if possible. unfortunately, you cant pick from whom to be shipped with.

Fedex will either charge you at the door for duties OR send you a surprised bill 2 weeks later. Price varies from $13-$20

EDIT:
Fedex is faster but the price on duties ON TOP of your shipping cost is simply not worth it. USPS takes about 1 week - 1 1/2 week to get here to Vancouver

knightowl

Awards
The way it works is this

$5 handling charge
5% of the value of the items declared on the customs sheet
so assuming $100 was declared then 5% x 100 = $5

so your total that you should expect is around $10

Now, if customs thinks the the value declared is unrealistic ( for example you order 10 ultima and Nutra says the value is $20) then they will decide to evaluate the product and give it a more realistic value so lets say they evaluate your shipment to be $600 then you pay $30 in taxes + $5 handling charge.

You can always prove (using your receipt ) that you paid whatever price and send it back to them so if you actually paid $20 for the products then you can get your money refunded.

PS: This is how it worked before the HST happened, so I am not sure if instead of %5 it is 13% now.. but if it is then you can redo the same calculations with the new taxes

niCe99

niCe99

Awards
  • Established
a more increase in customs after the HST tax?!

my post was talking pre-HST Tax.

Nutraplanet reps, this is a serious suggestion; Make some good deals with international shipping...good partnership with shippers or something and you guys will get a lot more business. I can say for sure that there are a lot of Canadian potential customers.

Then again, i dont know how all of this shipping and what not works for the wholesaler but i would be a customer for life if shipping wasnt as bad as it is right now. When i say shipping, i secretly mean those SURPRISE door customs fees on top of the shipping fees we paid for already.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Being a Canadian, I totally know what you guys mean. Those "surprise" fees are when customs decides to slap them on the packages. I think some companies have prepaid these fees, however that would be transferred to you on every order, instead of some duties on the occasional package.

Also some small companies get away with marking packages as "gifts", however NutraPlanet did this for a while then the local USPS postal office cracked down. Also some companies out there are much much larger and can squeeze a better rate out. Something that might save international customers shipping charges are flat rate boxes. I'll check in to this again for you guys directly with Sam, and see if we can do anything in this area which agree makes it tricky to order in to Canada.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually wanted to continue to use Fedex because the price for 24 hour service was not that bad and I'd often get my packages in less than 24 hours from when I ordered them. Now I have to wait 10 days, and the price is about the same.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Dreamweaver, you can still use Fed Ex. Leave a comment on your order requesting the Fed Ex option and we will honor it.

TyePo

Awards
I actually wanted to continue to use Fedex because the price for 24 hour service was not that bad and I'd often get my packages in less than 24 hours from when I ordered them. Now I have to wait 10 days, and the price is about the same.
USPS takes 10 days? it says 4-5 days on my order, should I trust that? and I know my package was sent USPS now.

lemmohr

Awards
USPS takes 10 days? it says 4-5 days on my order, should I trust that? and I know my package was sent USPS now.
It says 4-5 days on my order too... I ordered it July 22nd, 2010 and I am still waiting... tracking says it got stuck @ customs... i'll be happy if I get my package by end of August.. and that's being optimistic too.. lol

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dreamweaver, you can still use Fed Ex. Leave a comment on your order requesting the Fed Ex option and we will honor it.
Good to know, what is the fast one Global Express ?

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always get charged $15 at the door when I go through fed ex, but only takes about 1-2 days, usps always takes about 2 weeks to get to my place.

So to me the extra $15, but I always like to to get my order asap lol

alvin1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I always get charged $15 at the door when I go through fed ex, but only takes about 1-2 days, usps always takes about 2 weeks to get to my place.

Do you get custom charge on top of that ?

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you get custom charge on top of that ?
I thought that was the custom charge...if not then I guess I never got custom charged before lol

TyePo

Awards
It'll be more like 5-10 days.
Laaame, wish I knew that before, would of thought about paying the extra at the door and getting it in 1-2 days. I hate waiting for stuff, I guess not having to pay the taxes is a plus tho. Hopefully I get it by the end of the week. The tracking still doesn't even say its left anywhere yet and I ordered it last thursday evening :s

alvin1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I thought that was the custom charge...if not then I guess I never got custom charged before lol
How much did you order ? Las time i order for around 180-200 $ and got to paid and additional 35 $ when I add to pick it up at the post office !

alvin1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

UPS don't charge anything more ?

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
UPS don't charge anything more ?

They do as well

In order of most expensive (fees at the door, or mail later): FedEx, UPS, DHL, then USPS.

In order of the fastest delivery: DHL, FedEx, UPS, then USPS.

If you have no problem paying out the ass go with FedEx.
Only carrier that will get it to you without any PITA.. USPS!

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How much did you order ? Las time i order for around 180-200 $ and got to paid and additional 35 $ when I add to pick it up at the post office !
My orders are always between $100-$350, I've ordered from nutraplanet 13 times so far, 1-3 day shipping is always around $30-45 denpending on what I order and everytime it gets here I have to pay $15 at the door but last time it was $18 because of HST.

I went through USPS 3 times out of the 13 and it has always taken about 2 weeks to get here, I had to pay at the door once and didn't for the other 2 times.

I hate shipping prices.

TyePo

Awards
Sometimes I'm not home during the day and with bb.com I usually left a signed note on the door asking them to leave my package, will that work with USPS? or I guess if they charge me customs charges it wont?

alvin1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I did order 2 testabolan V2 and choose the internaional shipping 3-6 day options. Will it be that quick ?

I Have not been ask for UPS or Fedex when I made my order! 2 options I got was international order 3-6 days or 1-2 weeks ? So I choose 3-6 days ! will it be Fedex ?

TyePo

Awards
I did order 2 testabolan V2 and choose the internaional shipping 3-6 day options. Will it be that quick ?

I Have not been ask for UPS or Fedex when I made my order! 2 options I got was international order 3-6 days or 1-2 weeks ? So I choose 3-6 days ! will it be Fedex ?
I chose the faster one too and mine ended up being USPS so I'm guessing yours will most likely be the same. I still haven't received my stuff yet though and its been 7 days now going on 8 (not including weekends).

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
Always usps. FedEx seems to get jabbed more for inspection and charges and hold UPS. Choose basic usps and should have it in 2 weeks or less.just my experiences.

lemmohr

Awards
got my package last thursday, I just had to pay taxes (HST) and that was it.. can't believe it took 2 weeks @ customs

TyePo

Awards
got my package last thursday, I just had to pay taxes (HST) and that was it.. can't believe it took 2 weeks @ customs
2 weeks at customs?? bruuutal. mine just got into customs, usually with fedex it only stays there a day, its a small shipment too, only 2 things so I hope USPS gets it through fast.

were u using usps?

lemmohr

Awards
2 weeks at customs?? bruuutal. mine just got into customs, usually with fedex it only stays there a day, its a small shipment too, only 2 things so I hope USPS gets it through fast.

were u using usps?
yeah, usps.. then canadapost...

TyePo

Awards
USPS has finally started updating my tracking and my shipment was in and out of customs in 2 days so pretty stoked on that, I was worried after you said 2 weeks haha. hopefully i'll get it by tomorrow.

dlau

Awards
Hey, new to NP. When I get to my shipping option at checkout I am only presented with the option of paying slightly more for a faster delivery option, and a cheaper yet longer (1-2 weeks) delivery option.

Logically, I would expect faster= Fedex, longer=USPS/Canada. Could someone please confirm or deny this? I really don't feel like paying a % on top of my order, as it is roughly 500.00 USD.

Thanks

warfacedave

Awards
So what shipping option should i select International 1-2 weeks for usps? or 3-6 days?

DoubleMint

DoubleMint

Awards
From my experience with NP, even when you select the faster option, its still USPS. It usually takes just a bit under two weeks from the ship date till I get the package. As far as charges go ts usually about 15%.

knightowl

Awards
I just got a package from nutra, this the 3rd in a raw with taxes....

it is 13% tax +$5 handling fee

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I take back my statement of that I've never been charged more then $17 at the door because today they charged me $38 :|

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn I really don't understand the shipping, first time I used DHL from nutra it cost $8 at the door, 2nd time $18, 3rd time $34 and today $46, like WTF, Looks like I'll be going to USPS since it doesn't charge me at the door, I just don't understand why DHL charges me more everytime they come, the amount of my order has been about the same everytime.

DoubleMint

DoubleMint

Awards
I will be getting my future orders shipped with USPS, I got raped by DHL last time.

imjuschillin

Awards
I'll just say for now, so far my first order from NP took one month to get to me. Yes, 4 full weeks, Im not rounding up! And the customs charge on a 140$ order was 22$ CNDN.

Now, let me add though, I don't hold NP responsible for the shipping time or customs charges at all. I been ordering online long enough to know that it happens, it sucks, but it happens. Far as I can see, they shipped the package promptly. I think just coming off the Holidays and customs in general it just got stopped, and yes, it was sent via FedEx. so, customs got me too.

:O(

What can you do? The variety and COST of buying supps in Eastern Canada where I am is still much higher than the online route. MUCH HIGHER! less variety too.