Heavy metals in Protein Powders - NutraPro affected?

cybrwzrd

Awards
Consumer reports did a testing of protein powders for heavy metals content and found that many of the brands tested had high levels. The worst offenders were Cytosport and EAS. Seeing as only a few select brands were even tested, what testing does NutraPlanet require the manufacturer of NutraPro complete?

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
We tested the macros, but not heavy metals. I will see if that is something I can inquire about.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Was that testing done on powders? I thought it done on RTDs.

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
Consumer reports did a testing of protein powders for heavy metals content and found that many of the brands tested had high levels. The worst offenders were Cytosport and EAS. Seeing as only a few select brands were even tested, what testing does NutraPlanet require the manufacturer of NutraPro complete?

Im sure if the same testing was done on all of our food at the grocery store the outcome would be about the same...

Edit: for anyone interested here is the actual study
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d10662t.pdf

We found trace amounts of at least one potentially hazardous contaminant in 37 of the 40 herbal dietary supplement products we tested, though none of the contaminants were found in amounts considered to pose an acute toxicity hazard to humans.19 Specifically, all 37 supplements tested positive for trace amounts of lead. Thirty-two also contained merccontained cadmium, 21 contained arsenic, and 18 contained residues from at least one pesticide.20 See appendixes III and IV for the complete results of these tests.

cybrwzrd

Awards
No, it was done on both powders and RTDs. The RTDs already contain some gross stuff, like carrageenan though.

roddyjojo

Awards
We tested the macros, but not heavy metals. I will see if that is something I can inquire about.
AAS, MS and Uv-Vis are the most accurate spectroscopic tests for heavy metals.

What tests did you guys do? Are you able to post the spectra for some of the product samples (bulk powders)?

Heavy metals can only be accurately analysed by spectroscopy: AAS, MS or Uv-Vis would be most appropriate.

Those listed spectra are diagnostic for heavy metal presence. IR and NMR are not appropriate testing methods here obviously as they are only diagnostic for functional groups and structural analysis.

xlb57

xlb57

Awards
I would be curious to hear about this as well. Thanks