Warning - Whey Protein prices about to go up

rottie76

Awards
  • Established
This was posted by the co-owner of True Protein....check it out
A gigantic warning to all concerning whey protein powders - IntenseMuscle.com

A gigantic warning to all concerning whey protein powders

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Remember 2 years ago when I warned you about the oncoming milk shortage and what it would do to whey protein prices? And across the board whey protein prices rose.....

This makes that look like a blip.

I am forewarning everyone. Two major soft drink company's (here I'll make it easy, they begin with C and P to narrow it down, thats all I'll say).....have pretty much shut down the whey protein industry for the rest of 2010. The one company is coming out with a RTD whey product and the other company and their "Alligatorade" drink (think about it) bought a half a billion pounds of whey protein in which they are going to launch their Ready To Drink protein product. Now to do this they bought up all the raw ingredients from all corners or the earth and even existing product out there to tweak into their product. The other company bought a tremendous amount of whey from Asia which in turn is making a huge shortage here in the United States with manufacturers trying to catch up.

This "Alligatorade" drink company acquisition is going to drive whey protein prices skyrocketing northward. The problem is whey is a byproduct of cheese/dairy and the dairies arent going to start manufacturing more cheese to get more byproduct=whey protein (and throw away the cheese).

So and im strongly warning you on this....STRONGLY...trust me that this is going to happen. They bought up a tremendous amount of raw ingredients of whey isolate to mix into their sugar water. 500 million pounds....The other company bought up a tremendous amount of whey protein concentrate.

Whats this mean to you?

We are going to try our best to hold the line but what we are being told is whey protein could very well go to 2 - 3 times the price per pound of what it currently is. And I mean this across the board from every single protein powder company out there.....and in any and every area of whey protein being sold out there.

We probably are in the process of getting rid of the recession whey protein pricing right today due to this but we are going to try to hold out on everything else as long as we can. You will see whey protein powder prices rise and rise and rise for the next month after month after month elsewhere in stores, in retails sites....everywhere.

Do you still want to "be like Mike"?

My prediction? That sugar water company will abandon this in early 2011 after it fails miserably but the tremendous damage will be done by then.

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
Hopefully the RTDs will be decent enough quality and a good price.:sad3:

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Wonder when this happened? Ive been buying milk for $1.78 a gallon for a month now. Good info, now high school students can be obese and get their 50 gram daily protein intake :thumbsup: pisses me off

rottie76

Awards
  • Established
If it does, there's always beef and egg whites protein. But I'm stocking up....while it's still relatively cheap :salook:

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
darn, we will have to switch to whole foods.

what a shame.

lulz.

quigs

quigs

Awards
  • Established
On the bright side, it would be nice to be able to walk to any convenience store and pick up a protein shake that's not muscle milk.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
On the bright side, it would be nice to be able to walk to any convenience store and pick up a protein shake that's not muscle milk.
tis true!

4 bucks for that ****. what a joke.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The one thing we have no SHORTAGE of in Australia... HIGH QUALITY AUSSIE PROTEIN.

:D

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Am I allowed to say "Hatarade"?

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
darn, we will have to switch to whole foods.

what a shame.

lulz.
i hope this is sarcasm!

ive tried every protein under the sun, and i can consume 200+ protein in whey + whole food and still not put a damn pound on. switch to 100% whole foods...BAM, weight gain.

whey protein is a scam IMO

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
i hope this is sarcasm!

ive tried every protein under the sun, and i can consume 200+ protein in whey + whole food and still not put a damn pound on. switch to 100% whole foods...BAM, weight gain.

You do know you need to cycle whey...:lol:..right?

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
i hope this is sarcasm!

whey has its place for sure.

i supplement 2 shakes ED, especially on workout days.

quigs

quigs

Awards
  • Established
i hope this is sarcasm!

How is protein a "scam"? That's like saying tunafish is a scam.

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Muscle milk with a different name will make you feel better? :sad3:

Dillonaur

Awards
I really wonder if this will happen. I guess it was only a matter of time.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I drink the hell out of Gatorade's Meal replacement shakes... but i get them for free.

slimcharles

Banned
Awards
Owner of True Protein. LOL.

"Hey guys, better buy MOAR protein now because it could be hella expensive someday!! "

This is just a way to make some quick money.

I'm secretly hoping Coca Cola comes out with Coke flavored protein.

BigBeazy

BigBeazy

Awards
  • Established
This kinda seems like B.S.

All the Whey Protein in the world is going to be bought in 2010, but in 2011 everything will be fine, than 2012 the world will end. It's probilly some Mayan Ceo of some crap ass protein who wants to sell the remainder of his protein before his calender runs out.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Owner of True Protein. LOL.

"Hey guys, better buy MOAR protein now because it could be hella expensive someday!! "

This is just a way to make some quick money.

I'm secretly hoping Coca Cola comes out with Coke flavored protein.
exactly this.

TP prolly hurting for business or something.

TelABadManWot

Awards
This kinda seems like B.S.
Bang on.

Bulk whey protein concentrate is less than $2.50 a kilo wholesale.

It will go up at the end of the recession but only because the price of whey has been suppressed by the flagging economy since 07/08.

Any company buying a large amount (and the above is NOT a large amount) will not make much difference at all. The whey industry is huge, far bigger than just supplements. Cheese manufacturers still sell absolutely mammoth quantities as livestock feed for very little money at all.

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
Basing this only on Dry Whey Futures Contracts....

It looks like the major increase in whey pricing hit in late 09 time frame (pricing for contracts spiked 20-30% over a 12mos history, but very little year to date), but has done very little since then, and contracts for 'future' futures are trading much lower than front month futures...

So, again basing this on only this info, it does look like something happened, but it was a transient bump.

http://barchart.com/futures/commodities/DG?_dts1=+futures.contract

This is for 'Dry Whey', so its a basic commodity. Don't confuse this with the more refined wheys we buy, but any changes in this market will (I think) affect the end products pricing almost directly.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I picked up a bottle of Hater-ade's protein stuff last weekend. It was ok, but not great. The whey content was miserably low - something equivalent to about an egg or two - so it's not really a viable drink IMO.

For someone my size, eating the "appropriate" amount of protein in a day is a hell of a lot of chewing. I'd rather supplement with a shake or three.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
I can definitely agree that whey has it's place. If I had to get my protein completely from whole foods I would probably need an extra refrigerator.

TelABadManWot

Awards
It looks like the major increase in whey pricing hit in late 09 time frame

This is for 'Dry Whey', so its a basic commodity. Don't confuse this with the more refined wheys we buy, but any changes in this market will (I think) affect the end products pricing almost directly.
Whey is dependent on seasonal variation. Whey always reaches its high in the 4th Q of the year, waiting for the calfs which boost mom cows milk > cheese/whey production, reducing the wholesale cost.

We have seen prices of wholesale whey at relative low levels for years now. The price will increase, regardless of who is buying what. A 100% increase in the wholesale price of whey will be equiv to less than a 5% increase in the price of a tub on the shelf.

As BULK whey is so cheap and a tub of marketing wrapped 'Super Muscle Building' Whey Protein Strawberry Dream Flavored Milkshake is SOOOO expensive an increase will BE MINIMUM. A much more relevant cost factor in the price of whey you buy in a tub with a pretty label is the projected cost of advertising for the next three years, which has also been flat since the start if the recession.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
Hopefully the RTDs will be decent enough quality and a good price.:sad3:
already out- "alligatorade" has a few protein products out... a post workout rtd with isolate, and a canned rtd protein shake.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
FWIW - Gaspari has also released a similar statement about a possible price increase in Whey.

rottie76

Awards
  • Established
Yes, and the owner of Orb. Nutrit. confirmed this as well. Stock up folks! :run:

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
There are many types of protein powder. If whey somehow by chance, and i would be suprised if did, doubled in price then we would just see a rise in a new temporary king. Also if this is indeed true, and i were a company like TP, i would drop the prices on the other proteins a little to keep customers around to experiment with other types. I have not yet had gemma but its cheap and i would imagine it would get the job done. I could also see them coming up with a partially pre-digested gemma protein to compete with whey absorption if whey were no long a viable option. Hell id probably just switch to soy

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its the new Gatorade G2 drink. its still 3.00...dont buy it