The Nutraplanet no B.S. (Bro-Science) thread

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
This thread is for anyone who enjoys researching and writing about supplements and the latest news in the supplement industry.

I know we have some extremely intelligent supporters and we wanted to provide a place for you to pass your knowledge along to others.

We'd like to see original, informative articles and not just the all too familiar and worthless bro-science "my buddy at the gym told me this" stories. If you use an outside source be sure to cite it as we'd like this to be a professional thread with professional articles.

Who knows, if the readers of your articles feel it's deserving, we may throw in some Nutrabucks or some free products.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Monster, Ev thanks for the posts. For future posts..a few paragraph summary of a study you read, or research you've done with associated links would be awesome.

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
This is a great thread on mindandmuscle right now.

Originally posted by Benson:
JD's recent post about fat loss supplements got me thinking about all the stuff that's out there being hyped as fat loss promoters...very little of it is backed up with actual human clinical studies...so I'd like to make a list of supplements (anything that can be purchased OTC in the US) that have actual demonstrated efficacy for promoting fat loss in humans under controlled conditions.

In this instance, we are not interested in things that have only anecdotal support or things that "should" work based on MOA or things that have been shown to work in animals only. Also not interested in things that work only when correcting a deficiency...we want things that increase fat loss when taken supplementally to a slimming diet. If you post anything, please post the supporting reference as well.

So far I can come up with:

Ephedrine HCL
Caffeine
Pyruvate
MCT
GTE
CLA (evidence for this in humans is weak IMO)
Nicotine
Fish Oil
Capsinoids
Yohimbine (data are contradictory)

The studies can be found in the thread.
http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=41395

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Quinc,

thanks for the post. I have to agree with the lack of evidence supporting many fat loss supplements.

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
Quinc,

thanks for the post. I have to agree with the lack of evidence supporting many fat loss supplements.

No problem; alot of good info in there! Maybe Np could make a fat loss stack out of those? right now i buy most of it in bulk from you guys anyway.. Minus the ephredrine and Nicotine.. :D

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is a great thread on mindandmuscle right now.

Originally posted by Benson:
JD's recent post about fat loss supplements got me thinking about all the stuff that's out there being hyped as fat loss promoters...very little of it is backed up with actual human clinical studies...so I'd like to make a list of supplements (anything that can be purchased OTC in the US) that have actual demonstrated efficacy for promoting fat loss in humans under controlled conditions.

In this instance, we are not interested in things that have only anecdotal support or things that "should" work based on MOA or things that have been shown to work in animals only. Also not interested in things that work only when correcting a deficiency...we want things that increase fat loss when taken supplementally to a slimming diet. If you post anything, please post the supporting reference as well.

So far I can come up with:

Ephedrine HCL
Caffeine
Pyruvate
MCT
GTE
CLA (evidence for this in humans is weak IMO)
Nicotine
Fish Oil
Capsinoids
Yohimbine (data are contradictory)

The studies can be found in the thread.
http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=41395
I think I posted a study that confirmed the Y being effective for fat loss.