NP Omegas

bryan4592

Awards
Any word on when these will be back in the 1000 cap bottle?

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
I need to order another of these myself.

stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I believe it is in transit to our warehouse...need to double check to make sure. But it should be here in about 4 biz days.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
*cuddles his 3 tubs*:eek:uttahere:

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
$.09 per 1g EPA+DHA... not bad! The closest I've found is $.11/g.

I do have a question, though: if there are 2g of "Marine Complex" per dose and 600mg of that is EPA+DHA, what does the other 1.4g consist of?

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
not sure why the label isn't complete, but it should be -
360 mg EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)
240 mg DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid)
1400 mg of Omega-3 Fatty Acids

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
not sure why the label isn't complete, but it should be -
360 mg EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)
240 mg DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid)
1400 mg of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
hmmm... Most of the time I see a product label "Omega-3 Fatty Acids", it's simply the combination of EPA and DHA (in this case, that would be 600mg).

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
you're right. omega-3 is the combination of epa & dha. so total o-3 is 600mg.
i'm not sure what i was thinking when i posted that. must have removed my brain temporarily.

actually, i'm not sure what the other 1.4g is? maybe the gelatin for the capsule?
maybe someone with better fish oil knowledge will show up and shed some light.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
The only reason I'm asking is because I am looking for an EFA supplement and have looked at hundreds of product profiles, and they all seem to be labeled differently.

For example:

PRODUCT 1

Natural Fish Oil Concentrate - 1.25g
Omega Fatty Acids - 700mg
EPA - 450mg
DHA - 300mg

PRODUCT 2
Natural Fish Oil Concentrate - 2g
Omega-3 Fatty Acids - 680mg
EPA - 360mg
DHA - 240mg

Notice that both list a certain amount of Omega Fatty Acids, but product 1 is the combo of DHA + EPA, whereas Product 2 is the combo of EPA + DHA + unknown fatty acids.

I suppose the main thing is to look at the dose of EPA/DHA and not so much other fatty acids that may or may not be listed.

?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good question. Im pretty sure these are just other oils that aren't omega 3, sort of like how the cod liver oil, in each tsp might have 2g Sat. Fats, 600mg DHA, 600mg EPA, 1g Monounsat, etc. One sec searching;

Hmm in the library so cant search too well, but it should just be other Fish Oils, non Omega-3. Nutrman might know.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I just don't want to take upwards of an extra gram of fat per pill that isn't doing me any good, especially if one is taking 10-20 pills / day.

Any insight into what else is in these fish oil products would be helpful.

Thanks!

NutraMan

NutraMan

Board Sponsor
Awards
You are correct in saying the important this is the listed amounts of EPA and DHA.

Basically, in a non-technical explanation, think of fish oil as any other product that can be standardized, such as Green Tea, that is standardized to 75%.

Fish oil can be seen the same way, but instead of being standardized for a particular herb constitute, it is standardized for Omega-3's namely EPA and DHA.

What is "left over" (total serving size - Omega 3 content) that is not EPA/DHA may or may not be fatty acids of interest...we do not get that specific info from our supplier, but we certainly can in the future.

Likewise, what the remaining 25% of the green tea product is not ECGC, but the whole herb.

I hope that made sense, but I suspect I probably confused you more. ;)

NutraMan

NutraMan

Board Sponsor
Awards
I just don't want to take upwards of an extra gram of fat per pill that isn't doing me any good, especially if one is taking 10-20 pills / day.

Any insight into what else is in these fish oil products would be helpful.

Thanks!

Well, it is extra fat, yes, in the form of polyunsaturated fat.

My point in the previous post was that we dont know if that portion contains any other fats of interest.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I get the GTE example -thanks. My main confusion is the various forms of labeling I've seen. Some list Total Omega-3 content, and some add up to DHA + EPA, and some do not.

For now, I'm going to stick w/ the highest concentrate I can find - at least in my price range.

Hmmm... I'm going to do some more looking wrt the "other stuff" in fish oil supps. I'll post anything of interest I come across.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CEDeoudes59 Supplements 4
IGF-1/GH 10