NP Omega-3 & Vit. E - AnabolicMinds.com

NP Omega-3 & Vit. E

1. New Member

NP Omega-3 & Vit. E

Hi i am just wondering why the NP Omega-3 (Bulk) doesn't contain vitamin E in it, isn't it used in fish oil, to avoid fat oxidation and for better quality??? Other companies do put vit.E in, some have really high doses.
    I also woudn't like to Overdose on vit E, since i am currently eating 40 pills/day, thats right... I MEGADOSE the NP omega!!

But still, why aren't there any vit. E in it? Lets say u could have 1-2% of the D.V in each one?? Or maybe the pills are so fresh u won't need some. Just asking.

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.

it's just a bulk product. many of np's bulks need to be paired or used in conjunction with other supplements to elict the optimal benefit.
    however, if you are taking a daily multi-vitamin you should be covered on vit e.
    now adam for instance delivers 670% of the daily recommended allowance of vitamin e.
  3. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post
    it's just a bulk product. many of np's bulks would not be considered complete.
    however, if you are taking a daily multi-vitamin you should be covered on vit e.
    now adam for instance delivers 670% of the daily recommended allowance of vitamin e.
    I understand, but i am not out to get my %DV filled with vit.E but to avoid fat oxidation in the capsules. Can the capsules be refridgerated to last longer or are there any other ideas?
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.

from my understanding fish oil can cause oxidative stress on the body after consumption. this is why it is often paired with vitamin e (anti-oxidant).
    vitamin e should have little impact on the storage/longevity of fish oil in capsule form.

Fish oil and vitamin E go together
    BELTSVILLE, MARYLAND. Fish oils are beneficial in the prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease. They do, however, oxidize very easily and therefore add to the oxidant stress on the body. An experiment was recently carried out by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to see if an increased intake of vitamin E could counteract this detrimental effect of fish oils. Forty men aged 32 to 44 were involved. The men consumed a controlled diet for a total of 28 weeks. For the first 10 weeks they received placebo oil capsules (15 g/day), for the next 10 weeks they received fish oil capsules (15 g/day), and for the last 8 weeks they received the fish oil plus 200 mg of vitamin E (all-rac-alpha-tocopherol). The urinary excretion of peroxidation products (malondialdehyde) more than doubled when the fish oil capsules were introduced but then dropped by a factor of four when vitamin E was added. The vitamin E concentration in the red blood cells dropped very significantly when fish oil was ingested but more than recovered with the vitamin E supplement. It is concluded that the negative effects of fish oil consumption can be overcome by taking them together with vitamin E.
    Nair, Padmanabhan P., et al. Dietary fish oil-induced changes in the distribution of alpha-tocopherol, retinol, and beta-carotene in plasma, red blood cells, and platelets: modulation by vitamin E. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 58, July 1993, pp. 98-102

Fish oil supplements increase requirements for Vitamin E
    LONDON, ENGLAND. A recent experiment carried out at King's College in London showed that daily intake of fish oil supplement reduces the plasma concentration of vitamin E to below normal range. Nine healthy male subjects were given a daily fish oil supplement containing 2.1 g docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and 0.8 g eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) for a six week period. The proportion of DHA and EPA in the blood increased during the trial while the concentration of very-low-density-lipoprotein-cholesterol and triacylglycerol decreased. Blood pressure fell slightly during treatment, but rose again once the fish oil supplementation was discontinued. Of particular interest was the finding that alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E) concentration in the blood fell from 20 micromol/l to about 10 micromol/l during the experiment. This raises the question whether fish oil supplementation increases the need for antioxidant supplementation.
    Sanders, T.A.B. and Hinds, Allison. The influence of a fish oil high in docosahexaenoic acid on plasma lipoprotein and vitamin E concentrations and haemostatic function in healthy male volunteers. British Journal of Nutrition, Vol. 68, July 1992, pp. 163-73
    Last edited by Hank Vangut; 11-17-2008 at 05:40 PM.
  5. New Member

great info mate! thx
  6. New Member

I was wondering this as well, since i was under the impression that fish oil went rancid much quicker w/out vit. E. I actually ended up throwing out a bottle and half of nutra's fish oil because i believed it to be rancid. I remember when i received the package it was summer and everything in the box was super hot. Then within a couple weeks of taking them i noticed i was getting flushed in the face much more often which i attributed to more inflammation (who knows for sure though). I switched to a different brand a week later and personally felt it made a difference but again maybe effect was in my head. Also the nutra brand smelled much worse than other brands i've used which supposedly is another sign of being rancid. Love Nutraplanet but i'm sticking w/ other brands that specialize in oils.
  7. NutraPlanet Fanatic

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The softgels do not allow oxygen in, which is required for oxidation. The fish oil softgels are capped fresh, sealing in the fish oil away from oxygen - thus PHYSICALLY preserving them.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  8. Advanced Member

nice
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.

fish oil can go rancid if you don't use by the expiration date. to keep them longer you can referigerate or freeze them.
    if you wonder if they are rancid, bite into one. you'll know right away if it's gone bad.
    fresh fish oil will be clear, and taste mildly fishy.
    rancid fish oil tastes like eating out an 80yr old whore......not that i would know.
  10. NutraPlanet Fanatic

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by jchaffee1 View Post
    I was wondering this as well, since i was under the impression that fish oil went rancid much quicker w/out vit. E. I actually ended up throwing out a bottle and half of nutra's fish oil because i believed it to be rancid. I remember when i received the package it was summer and everything in the box was super hot. Then within a couple weeks of taking them i noticed i was getting flushed in the face much more often which i attributed to more inflammation (who knows for sure though). I switched to a different brand a week later and personally felt it made a difference but again maybe effect was in my head. Also the nutra brand smelled much worse than other brands i've used which supposedly is another sign of being rancid. Love Nutraplanet but i'm sticking w/ other brands that specialize in oils.
    The softgels are purchased from one of the largest manufacturers of marine oil softgel products in the country.
  11. New Member

yea...they may have been fine. I guess i was just paranoid about the package getting so hot in transit. I couldnt' bring myself to do the "bite into the softgel" test but they definately smelled worse than the many others i've tried. They are so cheap that i didn't really mind tossing them. oh well.
  12. New Member

I'll stick with my 40g of fish oil from NP then without any worries!
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVERIUS View Post
    I'll stick with my 40g of fish oil from NP then without any worries!
    yeah, it takes me over 6 months to use NP's 1000 cap omegas.
    i store them at room temp without any problem.
  14. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post
    yeah, it takes me over 6 months to use NP's 1000 cap omegas.
    i store them at room temp without any problem.
    hehe, i empty my tube in 4-5 weeks
  15. Board Sponsor

I understand, but i am not out to get my %DV filled with vit.E but to avoid fat oxidation in the capsules. Can the capsules be refridgerated to last longer or are there any other ideas?
    I always refrigerate mine as it cuts down on the fish burps as well.
  16. NutraPlanet Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by NutraMan View Post
    I always refrigerate mine as it cuts down on the fish burps as well.
    Do you suppose Fish Oil suppositories cause fish farts?
  17. Board Sponsor

Why suppose when you can move into the realm of practical knowledge?
  18. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.

hehe, i empty my tube in 4-5 weeks
    I'm on a little experiment . I started my tub of 1000 back on ~Sept 1st, and I'm seeing how long it lasts me. Sometimes I've supplemented with Cod Liver Oil, Canned/Frozen Salmon, but I'm curious to see how long they will last. I usually shoot for about 10/day, so I figure about 4 months considering my other Omega-3 sources.

I've never refrigerated/frozen mine since I don't seem to get fish burps, even if I take them on an empty stomach
  19. NutraPlanet Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by NutraMan View Post
    Why suppose when you can move into the realm of practical knowledge?
    Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me.
  20. New Member

So back to the question about Vit. E. I just started with my canister of NP Fish Oil. Using about 10 per day. Should I be taking in some Vit. E to prevent oxidative stress? I saw the studies above, but is everyone that is using the NP brand also using Vit E too?
  21. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

i like freezing them
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Omega-3
    By onlyone in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 01:05 PM
  2. When to take Omega 3-6-9?
    By xpin2winx in forum Supplements