Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
So my order was sent off the other day and i had a look at the tracking on USPS. It says

"Status: Into Foreign Customs

Your item is being processed by customs in GREAT BRITAIN. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later."

Does that mean i'm likely to have to pay some sort of custom charge? before when tracking i've never seen it say this. Its always been " your item has left the U.S blah blah" then i get it.

Should i expect a delay?

Ta!

EDIT: Had a look on Parcelforce.co.uk and it says "

"Date Time Location Tracking Event
03-10-2008 18:02 International Hub AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGING
03-10-2008 18:02 International Hub AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGES
03-10-2008 17:57 International Hub Arrived in destination country
02-10-2008 12:36 Delivery Agent - MIAMI Left origin country
01-10-2008 16:09 Delivery Agent - UNITED STATES AMERICA Collected from customer
"

Am i likely to get custom charges? I've never had before.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
no, i believe this is just your package being processed through customs. you shouldn't have to pay a customs charge.
if it is still held up come monday, maybe shoot an email over to NP customer service.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
What was in the order? Anything out of the norm that could potentially cause the delay/potential charge if you go that route? I am unfamiliar with the exact methods of customs, but if it is a odd substance it may have a hand in the problem.

Like Hank said though, shoot an email to cs on Monday if it isn't resolved and heading your way.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
On a side note, I remember reading complaints from people who bought from a different online retailer and tried shipping it to Canada. They got some weird customs messages from Germany I believe, not sure what was going on there but when you mentioned Great Britain customs and didn't mention you were in the UK first, it got me thinking :lol:

Like Hank and OCC said, sometimes it can take a few days in customs. If you don't see an update Mon or Tues you can check with the CSR's, although I know it can take up to a week if you're unlucky.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
it was updated today with

06-10-2008 15:26 International Hub RELEASED WITH CHARGES

That mean i'm likely to get a letter with some charges? I'm going to e-mail Parcelforce and see what they say.

I wouldn't say theres anything in the package that would be frowned upon. Fish oils, mutli vits and some Activate Extreme. never had problems getting any of them through before. I'd suspect it would be quite a big package.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I think you have the best plan of attack here. Contact CS ([email protected]) to see if any information can be obtained from them, and like you said contact Parcelforce to see what the charges are all about (and if it is actually a charge coming your way). Someone with more information may speak up as well, but as I am in the states am not fully versed on the matter.

Keep us posted on updates though, for both your sake and future reference. Hope it is resolved quickly!

Flyboy

Flyboy

Awards
  • Established
yup, you WILL get charged on that... I guarantee it. You will get a slip through the post detailing the amount, a reference number and how to pay before they will release the package for delivery from the local hub.

not only that, but parcelfarce will charge you about £12 or £13 (i can't remember) for the privilege of having paid the customs charge on your behalf.

I don't mind it when that happens and i have to pay custom charges, but the fixed fee is ridiculous. Last time I had something come into the uk get stopped it had about £3.50 VAT and that £13 charge.... makes my blood boil!

As for supplement orders, I've only had one package from BB.com get charged (via USPS), and one from nutra (which I ordered via fedex). All other nutra orders have got through without charges... cheapest shipping option by the way (USPS). It's pot luck as to whether it makes it through unnoticed if it's marked as low value or gift, and nothing to do with the contents. One parcelforce delivery guy told me anything marked under $40 will get through without charges although i think technically the limit is about £20.

verner

verner

Team Nutra Ninja Monkey Trainer
Awards
  • Established
yup, you WILL get charged on that... I guarantee it. You will get a slip through the post detailing the amount, a reference number and how to pay before they will release the package for delivery from the local hub.

not only that, but parcelfarce will charge you about £12 or £13 (i can't remember) for the privilege of having paid the customs charge on your behalf.

I don't mind it when that happens and i have to pay custom charges, but the fixed fee is ridiculous. Last time I had something come into the uk get stopped it had about £3.50 VAT and that £13 charge.... makes my blood boil!

As for supplement orders, I've only had one package from BB.com get charged (via USPS), and one from nutra (which I ordered via fedex). All other nutra orders have got through without charges... cheapest shipping option by the way (USPS). It's pot luck as to whether it makes it through unnoticed if it's marked as low value or gift, and nothing to do with the contents. One parcelforce delivery guy told me anything marked under $40 will get through without charges although i think technically the limit is about £20.
You hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately There won't be any additional info we can give as we are privy to the same info you have. Once you get the official notification by mail you will know what your dealing with and how to proceed.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Cheers for the help guys!

My order was just under $400 so i hope the charges arn't high :( It's been updated again

06-10-2008 19:49 National Hub Sorted in hub
06-10-2008 17:47 International Hub En route to delivery depot

I'll keep you all updated. I e-mailed them asking about what the charges mean't. Got an automated reply saying i would get a response within 2 days.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for your enquiry.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you as a result of this issue. I can understand your frustration whilst you are waiting for an item to be delivered.

I am sorry that we have not delivered your parcel to you; this is due to customs charges payment required of £48.36.

When a parcel enters the UK it may be subject, as in this case to duty charges from HM Revenue and Customs. It is normal practice that recipients are sent a letter to advise of these charges and how the charges can be paid. This letter provides the recipient with a unique 17-digit reference number that must be quoted to allow us to take payment for the charges and release the parcel for delivery.

If you have this letter with the 17-digit number required for us to take payment, please call us on 08708 501150, and choose the relevant options ‘to pay a customs charge’.

Once this charge is paid the parcel can be released for delivery to the original address on the parcel or it can be collected from the depot. Alternatively, you can visit your local depot with the letter, pay the charges and take your parcel home the same day. To do this you will need to take some photo id with you. I would also recommend that you contact the depot in advance of doing this on 08700 844 588.

From the tracking number that you have provided I can see that the parcel arrived in the UK on 6/10/2008, if you have not received a letter 7 days after this date advising of the customs charges please contact your local depot on the number above. You will need the parcel tracking number and confirmation of the recipients address along with a contact name and telephone number.

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again using one of the methods below:

:(

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Erm i was going to say, but you've found out already, importing supps into the country ISNT CHARGED. There are no additional charges that 'food supplements' receive.

However, as with all purchases made outside the UK to private individuals, they ARE SUBJECT TO VAT @ 17.5% Your courier will then put an extra, say £10 on that, for paying the VAT for you when it entered the country.

Trust me i've done the maths on this, and unless you're ordering bulk items like Whey or oats or something like that that weighs several kilos, it is STILL alot cheaper to buy from Nutraplanet than it is to buy within the UK. (to the sum of about £75 cheaper, with the last order i made, including the VAT)

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I don't mind too much. I'm still saving money. The order was pretty big and i expected it to weigh quite a lot. It won't stop me from ordering from NP :) Just annoyed i'm going to have to wait for the letter to come before i can pay for it then get it delivered.Can't pick it up myself either as its like a 45min train trip to the nearest depot

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Next time use FedEx, it's like $10 more or so, but they'll pay your VAT and deliver the item, and then about 7 days later you receive the invoice for the repayment of the VAT. Just take the slip into the bank, post it off with a cheque, or call them up and pay over the phone. Eitherway you get your sups inside 3 days of ordering and you done have to worry about the VAT straight away as the y give you 2 weeks to pay it.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Next time use FedEx, it's like $10 more or so, but they'll pay your VAT and deliver the item, and then about 7 days later you receive the invoice for the repayment of the VAT. Just take the slip into the bank, post it off with a cheque, or call them up and pay over the phone. Eitherway you get your sups inside 3 days of ordering and you done have to worry about the VAT straight away as the y give you 2 weeks to pay it.
Theres not a option on NP to choose shipping method is there?

Got the letter today about the charges.

£13.71 Import duty
£21.15 V.A.T
Parcelforce Clearance Fee £13.50

so £48.36 in total. Just paid it online. I'll get my parcel tomorrow :) Quite pleased, i thought i'd have to wait a few more days for the letter. I run out of AX tomorrow aswell so glad my next bottle will be in my hands soon enough!

Thanks for everyones help with this!

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Interesting i've just looked on the HM Customs website and Food supplements are supposed to get a 12.8% 'Standard Duty Fee' and then 17.5% VAT.

I've never had the 12.8% charged AFAIK. i'll see with my next NP order this week as its a bigg'un.

But yes you can change the shipping options. Personally i choose the FedEx 1-3 day international option. FedEx has fantastic tracking and everything has always arrived at ridiculous o clock in the morning :D

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Interesting i've just looked on the HM Customs website and Food supplements are supposed to get a 12.8% 'Standard Duty Fee' and then 17.5% VAT.

I've never had the 12.8% charged AFAIK. i'll see with my next NP order this week as its a bigg'un.

But yes you can change the shipping options. Personally i choose the FedEx 1-3 day international option. FedEx has fantastic tracking and everything has always arrived at ridiculous o clock in the morning :D
i don't see any option to change the shipping :sad:

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
When you click 'checkout' and you get that screeen up that totals the order including the shipping cost. On the right hand side of the screen it says 'Ship To' [CHANGE]. Click on the chnage button.

Then just click on the 'Use Address' button to stick with the current shipping location. then the next screen allows you to change the shipping method.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
ah there it goes. cheers bud :) Need to pick up some java soap next week and maybe some ZMK

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Yeah waiting for ZMK to come back into stock here too. Thats basically whats holding me back from clicking the Order button :)

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Yeah waiting for ZMK to come back into stock here too. Thats basically whats holding me back from clicking the Order button :)
I had my order on hold for weeks! Had loads of stuff on and one kept going out of stock hehe. Glad my package is coming tomorrow though!

Flyboy

Flyboy

Awards
  • Established
I'm loving ZMK at the mo... top stuff.

Glad you didn't get too delayed... usually only holds it back by a day or so, nothing to worry about.