Any chance of stocking Diindolylmethane (DIM)?

Flyboy

Flyboy

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering if there were/could be any plans to stock this stuff in some form?

The good quality stuff is ridiculously expensive over here in the uk but i noticed it's a bit more reasonable state side. Would be handy to be able to pop a tub or two into my regular nutraplanet orders!

Thanks

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think a few boys on here know a site which has 25grams for $25US...

Check some sex drive threads.
:D

Flyboy

Flyboy

Awards
  • Established
cheers dude, i'll look into it...

Still hoping you might stock some though nutra!

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im pretty sure DIM is stronger than IC3.

DIM comes from IC3 I think!

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, I would much rather IC3 than DIM any day ;)

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I had to choose between the two of them, I'd strongly prefer I3C to DIM. Fortunately, though, one does not have to make this choice. So, the best option would be to stack them!

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A compelling study favoring the use of diindolylmethane over I3C demonstrated the fact that following an oral dose of I3C in humans, only diindolylmethane (and no I3C) was found circulating in the bloodstream of test subjects (12). This study used a highly sensitive detection method, thus confirming that I3C disappears after entry into our stomachs, with no direct benefits being attributable to absorbed I3C.

This study also documented that over 90% of an oral dose of I3C is converted into non-diindolylmethane "condensation products" of uncertain structure, uptake and activity.

http://www.dimfaq.com/site/cruchoice.htm

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A compelling study favoring the use of diindolylmethane over I3C demonstrated the fact that following an oral dose of I3C in humans, only diindolylmethane (and no I3C) was found circulating in the bloodstream of test subjects (12). This study used a highly sensitive detection method, thus confirming that I3C disappears after entry into our stomachs, with no direct benefits being attributable to absorbed I3C.

This study also documented that over 90% of an oral dose of I3C is converted into non-diindolylmethane "condensation products" of uncertain structure, uptake and activity...
I do not understand the message here! DIM is one of the metabolites of I3C, so it should not be surprising that once ingested, I3C would be degraded into its metabolites, including DIM. Consequently, high concentrations of DIM, and other I3C metabolites, but not I3C itself, should be detectable!
I3C is a more balanced compound. While DIM is its most active metabolite, the other metabolites also have unique biological functions. This is why I prefer to take both I3C and DIM to obtain the full spectrum of benefits.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do not understand the message here! DIM is one of the metabolites of I3C, so it should not be surprising that once ingested, I3C would be degraded into its metabolites, including DIM. Consequently, high concentrations of DIM, and other I3C metabolites, but not I3C itself, should be detectable!
I3C is a more balanced compound. While DIM is its most active metabolite, the other metabolites also have unique biological functions. This is why I prefer to take both I3C and DIM to obtain the full spectrum of benefits.

Some studies said not much of IC3 even gets broken down into DIM... just been googling..

:)

Flyboy

Flyboy

Awards
  • Established
strategic - I know you're a smart chappy, have you got anything to say about my question above re AR proteins? Would appreciate your input!

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting post by Dr. Houser about I3C

Dana Houser, MD, MHSA, CISSN
(2) Estrogenic Channeling Agents

Indole-3-Carbinol (I3C)

EVIDENCE-BASED EFFICACY: I have written extensively in various posts on my support of this compound versus its DIM metabolite as well as any other compound in the post-cycle realm from the category of “dietary supplement.” Perhaps the single-most important mechanism of action of I3C is modulating estrogen metabolism. That’s right, tell your friends – ALL ESTROGEN IS NOT CREATED EQUAL. Estrogen receptors are located on the surface of virtually every type of tissue in the human body. Guys, you too, are not off the hook as this applies to you as well.

The body modifies (metabolizes) estrogens through two mutually exclusive pathways, which lead to compounds with dramatically different biological activities. Estradiol is the primary estrogen in circulation (as the example used above in Diversification Model) and one of the most active. It is metabolized to a number of other chemicals, all with some degree of estrogenic activity.

Key here, are the enzymes 2-hydroxylase and 16-alpha-hydroxylase. Several years ago, scientists hypothesized that a preference towards the 2-hydroxylase pathway and the subsequent generation of 2-hydroxyestrone (2-OHE1), results in less toxic metabolites in the circulation, which was subsequently gone on to support a decreased number of breast cancer outcomes if this were the dominant pathway (later, this proved true for prostate cancer as well). It was also around that same time that the hypothesis of greater estrogenic metabolism via the 16-alpha-hydroxylase enzyme would yield greater amounts of the more potent 16-alpha-hydroxyestrone (16alpha-OHE1) and a larger number of estrogen-dependent cancers would likely be the result.

Summary of ORDET study of 2000 (always nice fancy acronyms)
Participants: 10,000 Italian women
Duration: > 5 years
Measured Items: Diet, other breast cancer risks
Findings: Increased level 2-OHE1:16alpha-OHE1 at beginning of study associated with less risk of breast cancer development.

This simply set precedent, mind you – although there is a 1% risk for men to develop breast cancer, posting this study is merely the landmark to establish the importance of greater 2-OHE1:16alpha-OHE1 ratios being desired for decreased estrogen-sensitive cancer risk. This is very important information to someone embarking on post-cycle supplementation.

Summary of Prostate Cancer Study
Although there was a failure to achieve statistically significant results in this study, elevated 2-OHE1 urinary levels indicated a decreased risk of prostate cancer, whereas an increased 16alpha-OHE1 urinary level showed an increase of prostate cancer 2-times that of men with the highest levels of 2-OHE1.

I3C modulates these pathways shifting the conversion of estradiol metabolism to favor the 2-hydroxylase pathway and the subsequent 2-OHE1:16alpha-OHE1 ratio is INCREASED, which correlates with a decreased risk of various estrogen-sensitive cancers. A potential caveat worth further exploration is the increase in production of yet another estrogen exhibited by some studies (4-hydroxyestrone – this is very potent). These increases were NOT significant, however, and as you will see and have seen in my various posts, are put out by people with vested interest in other products. There are multitudes of studies that actually show a concurrent DECREASE in 4-OHE1, so the mixed results tend to leave me questioning those trying to prove their various products superior. Catch my drift?

In addition, and certainly not something studied, but the data seems to suggest shifts from the more potent (2-OHE1) to less potent (16alpha-OHE1) in a time when there is the potential for increased conversion (and this goes out to all of my aromatase-inhibitor-loving friends) – namely, during the post-cycle period would also contribute to a shift in dose-response curves to the right (and that is for my pharmacologically-inclined friends). We’ll see in the pharmaceutic exploration (parts IV + V) that this is NOT the entire picture – unfortunately, I can only address these items one by one in a certain time allotment.

FORMS & DOSAGES: 200mg to as high as 400mg has been studied and based on available evidence, this is what I would be hard-pressed not to suggest at this time. There is no upper-limit established, but even while in the post-cycle realm, I would beg you to adhere to a max of 400mg per day as this is simply what has been supported to date.

POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS / INTERACTIONS: Although it may seem obvious that a substance consumed over 1000s of years by millions worldwide is inherently safe, it has been challenged recently by those with vested interest in its metabolite DIM. I have expressed my concern at the challenges DIM supporters have offered and it is just plain bad science. Numerous cell culture, animal, and human studies have demonstrated I3C’s safety and tolerability, along with its targeted ability to SUPPRESS estrogen-receptor-sensitive (breast, cervical, and important for this discussion – prostate) cancer growth (sorry Dr. Z), and induce programmed cell death in a variety of tumors, including those associated with breast, prostate, endometrial, leukemia, and colon cancers.

As an aside, the cytochrome P450 enzymatic system discussed above in the AT / ATD section within both the liver and intestinal track is actually STRENGTHENED by use of I3C – something that could prove especially beneficial to C17 alkylated users.

CAUTION: Be careful of “research” supporting concurrent use of DIM – usual vested interest is a hand-in-hand with the funding of such studies.

S

small_guy

Awards
  • Established
should both products DIM and I3C be cycled?

I assume that I3C is taken not just in pct as it has numerous cancer health benefits and hence such as green tea is a general good support supp to take all of the time.

D

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Hmmmm...didn't know anything from me actually got posted over here.

Understand that DIM suffers poor quality oral bioavailability. That said, this is NOT the only pertinent offering, but the thought process out there is that ICZ (another I3C metabolite) possesses most of the E-modulating activity.

The DIM offering you usually are citing was from a very vested interest party and is VERY confounding. Try not looking at one study or one particular study group's offering in vaccum. That's not good research!

D_

D

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
should both products DIM and I3C be cycled?

I assume that I3C is taken not just in pct as it has numerous cancer health benefits and hence such as green tea is a general good support supp to take all of the time.

ALL hormonal items should be cycled to some degree and this includes pharmaceutic offerings for chronic disease (i.e. - thyroid disease states, et al...). For anyone (inclusive of doctors) who suggest the contrary, this merely displays a dearth of understanding of the endocrine system at large and it is a sure-fire reason why we suffer as a society at large from a state of endocinologic disarray.

The issue with green tea is that it also harbors pro-estrogenic (albeit phytoestrogenic) properties, so this should be used with caution as well. Again, anything possessing any level of endocrine disruption should be used with some thought design. Its not as easy a profession as many profess (albeit incorrectly too often).

I encourage complete endocrine profiles yearly - and do not care the hefty price tag that comes with them. As many are very willing to spill all these extra dollars into so many other things, with the quick and dramatic changes that occur with hormones, this should be an investment everyone acknowledges for their health.

Of course, people should play the odds. Many of my patients, I encourage as frequent as quarterly evaluations if not even more frequently like bi-monthly.

D_

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hmmmm...didn't know anything from me actually got posted over here.
Hope you don't mind D...I enjoy reading a lot of your posts on the various boards :cool: Some of the best stuff out their imo.

S

small_guy

Awards
  • Established
ALL hormonal items should be cycled to some degree and this includes pharmaceutic offerings for chronic disease (i.e. - thyroid disease states, et al...). For anyone (inclusive of doctors) who suggest the contrary, this merely displays a dearth of understanding of the endocrine system at large and it is a sure-fire reason why we suffer as a society at large from a state of endocinologic disarray.

The issue with green tea is that it also harbors pro-estrogenic (albeit phytoestrogenic) properties, so this should be used with caution as well. Again, anything possessing any level of endocrine disruption should be used with some thought design. Its not as easy a profession as many profess (albeit incorrectly too often).

I encourage complete endocrine profiles yearly - and do not care the hefty price tag that comes with them. As many are very willing to spill all these extra dollars into so many other things, with the quick and dramatic changes that occur with hormones, this should be an investment everyone acknowledges for their health.

Of course, people should play the odds. Many of my patients, I encourage as frequent as quarterly evaluations if not even more frequently like bi-monthly.

D_
Thanks very much for the info! Question- What does a complete endocrine profile have in terms of tests(or at least the most important parts) as I am doing a fairly comprehensive blood test in Oct.

C

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering if there were/could be any plans to stock this stuff in some form?

The good quality stuff is ridiculously expensive over here in the uk but i noticed it's a bit more reasonable state side. Would be handy to be able to pop a tub or two into my regular nutraplanet orders!

Thanks
check out www.nuticentre.com a UK website.

they can supply a VITAMIN RESEARCH PRODUCTS BIODIM 75MG PER CAPSULE.2 per day will last 30 days and priced at 25.95

NutraMan

NutraMan

Board Sponsor
Awards
We are aware of the interest for DIM/I3C and last I heard we were looking into it :thumbsup:

Yes we are! There are just a lot of logs in the fire right now for NP, so for Sam to pull the trigger on something new, there has to be a lot of demand.

So...anyone else?? Bueller?

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd be very interested in I3C, not DIM so much. Just bought some NOW, but would obviously prefer buying from you NP guys directly ;)

Flyboy

Flyboy

Awards
  • Established
check out www.nuticentre.com a UK website.

they can supply a VITAMIN RESEARCH PRODUCTS BIODIM 75MG PER CAPSULE.2 per day will last 30 days and priced at 25.95

cheers, i don't know why but when i click that link it takes me somewhere else - i googled nutricentre and it works. go figure.

Still pretty expensive though, especially considering the low dose... a bulk Nutraplanet bioavailable DIM would be just the ticket, but i may pick up some of this in the meantime as that's still the cheapest i've seen in the uk.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone considering I3C over DIM should read the following link then make your own mind up how you want to proceed further

DIM/I3C Safety Information
...I already posted a quote from Dinoiii explaining why I3C > DIM. Assuming you know who he is, I think that should be enough.

Edit: To each their own though ;)

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's your thoughts on I3C vs DIM?
I actually prefer both of them in one formula, or stacked. Together, they provide a more complete set of benefits than either alone, in my opinion.

C

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
I actually prefer both of them in one formula, or stacked. Together, they provide a more complete set of benefits than either alone, in my opinion.
so the link to the safety information on I3C hasnt put you off then

just how do both compounds together give a more complete set of benefits, please explain

Last edited:
J

JJC

Awards
  • Established
so the link to the safety information on I3C hasnt put you off then

just how do both compounds together give a more complete set of benefits, please explain
See also Dinoii's post.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
so the link to the safety information on I3C hasnt put you off then...

There are so many safety warnings circulating around that, if one were to take them all at face value, once would not touch any supplements. Probably a bit exaggerated, but I can show you so-called studies that claim more than 2gr of vitamin C daily is hazardous. Dr. Linus Pauling, double Nobel-Laureate, did more than 10gr daily for decades and lived well past 90 years.

Anyway, as we all know, apart from helping neutralize harmful estrogen metabolites by triggering so-called Phase I and Phase II detoxifying enzymes, indole-3-carbinol (I3C) also favourably improves the ratio of "good" estrogens to "bad". In particular, it raises the levels of the beneficial 2-hydroxyestrone compared to that of the harmful 16-hydroxyestrone. On its part, Di-indolyl-methane (DIM), the I3C metabolite, specifically addresses the potentially harmful estrogen metabolite called 4-hydroxyestrone. Both I3C and DIM may induce deceased-cell apoptosis and trigger DNA repair. This is why I prefer to take them both to get balanced, rather than lopsided, support.
In the end, though, it all boils down to: "to each his own"!

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
J

JJC

Awards
  • Established
What exactly should I see there?
Oh not you, I meant the other guy. It seemed like he hadn't read the previous posts in the thread.

Off topic, but I see you are now the USPLabs Product Educator. Trusting your knowledge, it would be awesome if you could help us all figure out Prime, what exactly is in it and how it works.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh not you, I meant the other guy. It seemed like he hadn't read the previous posts in the thread.

Off topic, but I see you are now the USPLabs Product Educator. Trusting your knowledge, it would be awesome if you could help us all figure out Prime, what exactly is in it and how it works.
I'm sure Ike's got the brain gears in motion. By watching the feedback from testers, we may be able to get a better understanding of how it works. For example, I've noticed quite a few people mentioning an Alpha-Male feeling (Even my person friend), despite the bloodwork done by USP on their 12 athletes that showed no increase in T levels. I think it might affect certain people differently, depending on their physical state/training experience.

C

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Best time to take dim -before bed or with evening meal or any other meal?