NOOP to replace wifes Prozac

1. NOOP to replace wifes Prozac

Hey all. New to the noop thing and was looking for something to replace my wifes prozac with. She is tired of the side effects and is looking elsewhere. Thanks for any and all input!!!!

2. Quote Originally Posted by OHBRUTUSIO View Post
    Hey all. New to the noop thing and was looking for something to replace my wifes prozac with. She is tired of the side effects and is looking elsewhere. Thanks for any and all input!!!!
    Noop?

Alternatives that come to mind:
    St John's Wort has been used for depression. It's basically a SSRI.
    Mix of herbs like ashwaghanda, rhodiola rosea, panax ginseng.
    Gaba.
    Curcumin has some research behind it. I believe 1 even compared it with prozac and it did well.

What might be worth researching but I don't have much knowledge of their use for depression:
    L tryptophan or 5-htp.
    L tyrosine.
    •   

3. We are assuming she is working with her physician to wean from the drug... and discussing alternstive anti depressants as well.

4. Quote Originally Posted by bosskardo View Post
    Noop?

Alternatives that come to mind:
    St John's Wort has been used for depression. It's basically a SSRI.
    Mix of herbs like ashwaghanda, rhodiola rosea, panax ginseng.
    Gaba.
    Curcumin has some research behind it. I believe 1 even compared it with prozac and it did well.

What might be worth researching but I don't have much knowledge of their use for depression:
    L tryptophan or 5-htp.
    L tyrosine.
    for atypical depression curcumin may help but for other types of depression (i.e. MDD) curcumin is likely to be of no benefit (according to a few recent studies).

5. Quote Originally Posted by pbandy1 View Post
    for atypical depression curcumin may help but for other types of depression (i.e. MDD) curcumin is likely to be of no benefit (according to a few recent studies).
    True. But then I'm a bit sceptical of how depression can be neatly categorized and of how well it can be diagnosed.

IMO curcumin and ashwaghanda are 2 supplements I really like. Wide range of benefits and usually no side effect (meaning very few have sides and then usually mild).
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by bosskardo View Post
    True. But then I'm a bit sceptical of how depression can be neatly categorized and of how well it can be diagnosed.

IMO curcumin and ashwaghanda are 2 supplements I really like. Wide range of benefits and usually no side effect (meaning very few have sides and then usually mild).
    Can't say I notice anything from curcumin (have tried a few formulations), going to try ksm-66 soon

7. Sam-e is what my wife's internalist recommended and it has helped a lot.

8. Be careful wit ashwagandha, idk wtf it was. That stuff made me emotionally unstable and super depressed, I tried it several times in 2016, several bottles, and the same effect each and every time.

9. Quote Originally Posted by DCx View Post
    Be careful wit ashwagandha, idk wtf it was. That stuff made me emotionally unstable and super depressed, I tried it several times in 2016, several bottles, and the same effect each and every time.
    Same here. Apparently ashwagandha has some affinity for the GABAB receptor. Interestingly, GABAB antagonists have been looked into recently as antidepressants so GABAB agonism could theoretically cause some depression

10. A good kanna extract is better than Prozac, Phenylethylamine or an analog gives a unique mood boost, SAM-e helped my gf at 1,600 mg daily, DHF seems pretty good too.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. what to replace dcp??
    By w3ss in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 01:44 PM
  2. Good exercise to replace pull-ups?
    By WillB123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 04:01 PM
  3. Need a decent MRP to replace my post-workout meal.
    By JBlaze in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 07:41 PM
  4. Gene Injections to replace steroids w/ athletes?
    By GIJoe in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 01:27 PM