bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Keep Your Laws off My Doggie
By Mike S. Adams
Friday, August 24, 2007

I’m a big supporter of Michael Vick. Not the old Michael Vick who used to play football. I’m talking about the new Michael Vick who’s getting railroaded by the man. You may think I’m being sarcastic but I’m not. Give me a few hundred more words to explain and I’ll make you a supporter of Michael Vick, too.

It all started a few nights ago when I had a dream. In the dream I was at a dog fight somewhere in the back woods of Georgia. I’d never been to a dog fight before and I couldn’t believe how brutal it was to see such a thing first hand. One dog started to overtake the other and eventually the other dog just collapsed lifeless there in front of me.

The worst part of it all was that the victor just kept on fighting even after the loser’s fate was sealed. His teeth were dripping with blood but he just kept on tearing at the fallen dog’s flesh. Before long I realized it was not going to be over until the loser had been torn limb from limb.

I just said that the worst part of it all was that the victor just kept on fighting even after the loser’s fate was sealed. But that isn’t true. The worst part of it all was that the crowd was going wild. There were lots of rednecks everywhere and I can say that because that is my heritage. But these were rednecks like I’d never seen before in Mississippi. These were Georgia Dog Fight-Watching Rednecks with crooked teeth. You could almost imagine them saying “Boy, you sure have pretty teeth” except that they were too busy saying “Rip the some-***** limb from limb” and “yahoo” and other assorted Dog Fight-Watching comments.

I just sat there for awhile in silence. But then I decided to say something. I turned to the guy next to me and said, “Man, this is brutal. This is the most brutal thing I’ve ever seen.” He said, “Not me. I used to work in an abortion clinic.”

Right away I knew what he was talking about. And so did the only feminist who was there watching the dog fight. She must have been overcome by the moral repulsion brought on by her awareness of the contradiction. While dog-fighting was illegal for all, women everywhere enjoyed a constitutional right to abort their children. A dangerous message was being sent and, to her, the course of action was clear.

I also dreamed that before long there was an organized movement to make dog-fighting legal. The feminists were outside of courthouses wearing t-shirts and holding signs that said “Keep your laws off my doggie,” “My doggie, my choice,” and something I couldn’t understand about a case called “Rover v. Wade.”

But they didn’t stop there. In my dream, the feminists built coalitions. They called the Southern Poverty Law Center and talked about how most prosecutions for dog-fighting were of poor southerners. Pretty soon, a group called “Hicks for Vick” emerged.

And they played the race card, too. With all the cockfighting in rural Mexico, the feminists were able to convince the Hispanic organizations that they could be targeted, too. Because they were concerned about racism, they started a group called “Spics for Vick.” I didn’t think you could say “spic” anymore. But these people were mostly Mexicans so the rules that applied to me didn’t apply to them.

Before long the feminists had their way and dog-fighting, ****-fighting, and all kinds of fighting was made legal – not just legal but protected under the U.S. Constitution, too. And this kept people from asking really tough questions like “Which one do you care the most about - a pit bull or a human fetus?”

And then I woke up and the terrible moral inconsistency was staring me right in the face. But it had all just been a dream. I could shut my mouth about the dream, go on with my business, and say a few bad things about Michael Vick while lots of people were standing around. That would be enough to show them how much I care about doggies and what a good person I must really be.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Wow.

I'm not touching this one with a 10 ft. pole...

:run:

X

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hmmm, dog fighting worse than abortion? Its all about your point of view. I support vick just cause i think the media/peta/animal lovers are going way too far with this...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmmm, dog fighting worse than abortion? Its all about your point of view. I support vick just cause i think the media/peta/animal lovers are going way too far with this...
I don't because it only puts pitbulls back in the media spotlight in a negative fashion. I have been around many pits and they are some of the best dogs you will find. It has been a hard week for one of my best friends because he had to put his pit down because she had lymphoma.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Apples and oranges. Not even close to a debatable argument.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't because it only puts pitbulls back in the media spotlight in a negative fashion. I have been around many pits and they are some of the best dogs you will find. It has been a hard week for one of my best friends because he had to put his pit down because she had lymphoma.
yeah, its all perspective. I dont have a pitbul so all i see is how their in the media eating babies, ect.

Whats my view? That they CAN go kinda crazy and i would never have one. I think thats the view of most of America. Is it true, i dunno...

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
yeah, its all perspective. I dont have a pitbul so all i see is how their in the media eating babies, ect.

Whats my view? That they CAN go kinda crazy and i would never have one. I think thats the view of most of America. Is it true, i dunno...
any stupid dog or animal or person can go crazy. you cannot predict this. no one knows exactly what makes a serial killer or one who kills once and never again. this goes for dogs animals or anything of the sort.

stupid chiwahwahhs can kill a baby too im sure. they attack kids but you never hear about it. cuz its not fatal. pitbulls and other figher type dogs have that ability for survivial. chiwahwahs would be soo gone if it wasnt for humans

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Apples and oranges. Not even close to a debatable argument.
Bingo.

Dog fighting is like having a kid and raising it only to torture it. Its not that we find dogs more important that humans or anything.

Although, I personally would rather see a 2mo old fetus being aborted when it wasn't developed enough to feel the physical or emotional pain associated with death than see an animal who is capable of feeling the emotional and physical pain associated with the lifestyle Vick put those dogs into.

And to those people who think Dogs are stupid because they simply lack the physical equipment necessary to produce a voice, you probably shouldn't own an animal. Gimpy has a dog that can literally count (e.g. if you hid three of its toys it will wait for you to give it all three before leaving; works every time, thought it was a fluke at first but the damn dog can count) and I've seen parrots that can have conversations and even make requests from their care-takers (look up alex the african grey).

I don't think its fair to say that an animal is just an animal when they've got much more in common with you than a 8wk old fetus.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
any stupid dog or animal or person can go crazy. you cannot predict this. no one knows exactly what makes a serial killer or one who kills once and never again. this goes for dogs animals or anything of the sort.

stupid chiwahwahhs can kill a baby too im sure. they attack kids but you never hear about it. cuz its not fatal. pitbulls and other figher type dogs have that ability for survivial. chiwahwahs would be soo gone if it wasnt for humans
like i said, that is what the media or wahtever makes it seem. Its what im sure 95% o the public thinks

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I'm just wondering about the perspective. You've got pro athletes regularly doing ridiculous things, and apparently none too small of a criminal element too that enjoys gang banging, wife beating, various drug cocktails, murder, rape, assault, etc. I'd be more interested in why what Vick did, which I think is disgusting, draws more attention and causes more repulsion than the pro athletes who have raped, assaulted, and murdered people. Or more attention than the murder rate for a typical US city. I mean people are being killed and brutalized regularly. I wonder why people seem relatively insensitive to that while the exposure of one dog fighting ring seems to make them want to start a lynch mob.

Although I'm also wondering what someone is capable of towards another human being if they can brutalize dogs so easily. If someone had tried to take my old dog for one of their fighting dogs to 'practice' on I'd have had the bastard's nuts stuffed and mounted on my wall. So I've got the same over reaction I think. I'm just wondering where it comes from.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Although I'm also wondering what someone is capable of towards another human being if they can brutalize dogs so easily. If someone had tried to take my old dog for one of their fighting dogs to 'practice' on I'd have had the bastard's nuts stuffed and mounted on my wall. So I've got the same over reaction I think. I'm just wondering where it comes from.
Because dogs kick ass. And I like my dog more than most people I know.

I'm with you, if someone took my Shepherd for a bait dog, their nuts would be tacked to my wall, probably with them still attached so they could get a random beat down any time I thought about it...

X

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Because dogs kick ass. And I like my dog more than most people I know.

I'm with you, if someone took my Shepherd for a bait dog, their nuts would be tacked to my wall, probably with them still attached so they could get a random beat down any time I thought about it...

X
Good point. I tend to like dogs more than people a lot too. I'll tell you one thing I can't stand, and that's people who don't like dogs. They're one of the oldest domesticated animals around, they may as well be part of our DNA. A person who doesn't like dogs is an odd ball I can't quite wrap my head around.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
wow author of this article...swing and a miss.

why not try to throw global warming and illegal immigration into bed with abortion while youre at it?

what a person does to their own body and what a person does with dogs in a kennel are not alike at all.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
wow author of this article...swing and a miss.

why not try to throw global warming and illegal immigration into bed with abortion while youre at it?

what a person does to their own body and what a person does with dogs in a kennel are not alike at all.
To be fair, some people abortion as involving another body, that of the kid.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
Meh, I think abortion should be allowed up to the age of 5. Put the fear of death into those little punks and maybe they wouldn't act like walking birth control commercials.

yes, I'm kidding.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
...horrible peice.

A complete difference in circumstances...and potential point of views.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
so make dog fighting AND abortion illegal.

We already know (or soon will know) what the penality will be for the vick case...

So what sort of punishment should we give the women who have illegal abortions (becasue that is where anyone protesting against abortion is going with it)? What would be a fair jail sentence to give the woman who has the abortion?

IS dog fighting worse then abortion?,..
All I know is I feel a LOT better about putting Vick in Jail then I do a mixed up teenager who probabkly shouldn't be bringing annother life into the world at that time.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
All I know is I feel a LOT better about putting Vick in Jail then I do a mixed up teenager who probabkly shouldn't be bringing annother life into the world at that time.
Not the point. People who are against abortion, and I am not one of them, view the fetus as another human life. In that context, worrying over a few dogs when what they consider mass murder is happening is an indication of messed up priorities.

I don't think it's a good point, nor do I agree with it, but to ignore the context it's coming from as if there is no alternative point of view on the subject is a bit much.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not the point. People who are against abortion, and I am not one of them, view the fetus as another human life. In that context, worrying over a few dogs when what they consider mass murder is happening is an indication of messed up priorities.

I don't think it's a good point, nor do I agree with it, but to ignore the context it's coming from as if there is no alternative point of view on the subject is a bit much.
True, context is important.
While I beleive that we should be less concerned with the Vick thing and more concerned with things like abortion IN GENERAL, I can see there being laws and punishment (as there already are) for puptting two dogs together to fight to the death, before I actually see the argument won over what is fair to sentence a wouldbe mother who has broken a law for having an abortion.

I understaznd that killing is killing,.. and a firm judgement one way or the other COULD influence the abortion movement.

The ability to change perception and law is greater with the Vick thing, then it is on abortion right now.
(if this makes no sence, I am sorry,.. running a slight fever at the moment :p)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
The ability to change perception and law is greater with the Vick thing, then it is on abortion right now.
(if this makes no sence, I am sorry,.. running a slight fever at the moment :p)
I wouldn't want it changed though, I think dog fighting is dispicable. And I think there's enough evidence to support the idea that, while animals don't necessarily have civil rights, humane treatment should be required because many animals do seem to have basic reasoning power and even the ability to communicate on some basic and intermediate levels. And what he did sure as hell doesn't fall under humane treatment by any means.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't want it changed though, I think dog fighting is dispicable. And I think there's enough evidence to support the idea that, while animals don't necessarily have civil rights, humane treatment should be required because many animals do seem to have basic reasoning power and even the ability to communicate on some basic and intermediate levels. And what he did sure as hell doesn't fall under humane treatment by any means.
lol- I'm agreeing with that point completely.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
Folks like to say "a life is a life" but really that isn't true. Sorry it isn't fair like that, but them's the breaks.

When doctors are in emergency situations with pregnant women, they save the woman first and foremost. The reason is simple: adults have more personal connections and their death will have a far greater negative impact. The unborn will affect very few with their death. Babies even affect very few with their death. Adults however frequently have many who depend on them.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Folks like to say "a life is a life" but really that isn't true. Sorry it isn't fair like that, but them's the breaks.

When doctors are in emergency situations with pregnant women, they save the woman first and foremost. The reason is simple: adults have more personal connections and their death will have a far greater negative impact. The unborn will affect very few with their death. Babies even affect very few with their death. Adults however frequently have many who depend on them.
Hey, hey, hey! There is no room here for your reasonable thinking. If you don't understand that every "human" soul is equally sacred, regardless of its stage in development/life, you're gonna go to hell. You're gonna go to hell, and you'll die!
:stick:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Hey, hey, hey! There is no room here for your reasonable thinking. If you don't understand that every "human" soul is equally sacred, regardless of its stage in development/life, you're gonna go to hell. You're gonna go to hell, and you'll die!
:stick:
So if I cut the head off a 1 day old, I should get a lesser punishment than if I decapitate a 24 year old, or a 1 year old? Show me the reason in that, please. Tiberius' 'reason' is defining people's worth by the amount of connections they have or the amount of people who will grieve when they die? Brilliance. Sheer brilliance.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
So if I cut the head off a 1 day old, I should get a lesser punishment than if I decapitate a 24 year old, or a 1 year old? Show me the reason in that, please. Tiberius' 'reason' is defining people's worth by the amount of connections they have or the amount of people who will grieve when they die? Brilliance. Sheer brilliance.
No one said the world is a nice place.

Truth is, courts and juries make just that very same distinction every day in cases. Common tactic for defense attorney in a murder trial is to attack the victim. Make them sound like the worst scum possible. While the law may not make a distinction, society does. Mind you, society typically looks at the worth of a person by the innocence, not by personal connection.

But doctors look at connection to society as a whole when determining how much percentage of available resources should be used to help a person survive. As a profession, doctors are typically encouraged to be emotionless in their duty, and to analyze situations using logic. Yes, not every doctor manages this, but many do. As such, if you can save a baby or an adult, the baby is saved. IIRC, there is a cutoff age, where the life gains additional "weight" because they are likely to have forged more societal connections.

You can call it cold if you want, it is what it is.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Pitbull is a word like steroids. Media will always publicize a pitbull attack. Actually a pitbull is not likley to attack a child as a family pet. Its pain tolerance is extremley high and it can be kicked, punched, and hit with sticks and not care. During my job I come across all types of dogs and I've had more labs show aggressive behavor than pitbulls. You are much more likley to be bitten by other dogs. The truth is though a pitbull is much more likely to do serious damage during an attack though because they are persistant when they do attack. One dog I find funny that is seen as a good family pet is german shepherds. They can be just as protective as rotweilers. I think it has to do with the fact they are furry and not as mean looking.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
there is an enormous difference between a fertilized egg cell going through its first few divisions and a 1 day old infant.

i do not consider a newly fertilized egg cell a human being. it lacks all qualities of a human being...consciousness, for starters.

i never understood why pro-lifers insist on trying to change laws and label pro-choicers as criminals. it is a matter of belief, a very personal matter of belief at that. if a person doesnt believe in abortion, and that a human life begins at conception, then do not have an abortion.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
there is an enormous difference between a fertilized egg cell going through its first few divisions and a 1 day old infant.
To people with common sense, yes. But we're talking in the context of the standard laid out about in T's pos

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Not all of society does so, nor do all judges allow such attacks in their courts, nor do all doctors make judgements by such criteria.

No one said the world is a nice place.

Truth is, courts and juries make just that very same distinction every day in cases. Common tactic for defense attorney in a murder trial is to attack the victim. Make them sound like the worst scum possible. While the law may not make a distinction, society does. Mind you, society typically looks at the worth of a person by the innocence, not by personal connection.

But doctors look at connection to society as a whole when determining how much percentage of available resources should be used to help a person survive. As a profession, doctors are typically encouraged to be emotionless in their duty, and to analyze situations using logic. Yes, not every doctor manages this, but many do. As such, if you can save a baby or an adult, the baby is saved. IIRC, there is a cutoff age, where the life gains additional "weight" because they are likely to have forged more societal connections.

You can call it cold if you want, it is what it is.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Not all of society does so, nor do all judges allow such attacks in their courts, nor do all doctors make judgements by such criteria.
Not all, but there are a considerable number of instances where people don't have the luxury to avoid such decisions.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
And to those people who think Dogs are stupid because they simply lack the physical equipment necessary to produce a voice, you probably shouldn't own an animal. Gimpy has a dog that can literally count (e.g. if you hid three of its toys it will wait for you to give it all three before leaving; works every time, thought it was a fluke at first but the damn dog can count) and I've seen parrots that can have conversations and even make requests from their care-takers (look up alex the african grey).

Alex the African Grey, dead at 31

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2007/09/alex_the_grey_parrot_colleague.php

:sad:

X

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IMO, the author of the article is a moron. Again, it's an apples and oranges case. I take no stance on abortion whatsoever - I have no religious convictions, yet I believe in population control.

But for dog fighting, I'm against it. I'm not opposed to dogs fighting amongst themselves - they do that naturally. But for organized dog fights, the idea just sickens me. For anyone to train their dog for that sort of behavior is a complete lack of respect for all life (no, not equating a fetus to a dog). Any animal lover, or anyone with sympathy at all, would agree that people are culprit in all of this. Vick deserves what they give him, unless it's light.

The reputation that pits have is a horrible truth, as with any of these so-called dangerous breeds. As proud pappa to a 9-month old male Great Dane, I see the look in people's eyes when they see a big or threatening dog. Danes merely have size, but pits have the "reputation". I trust the dogs, not the owners.

Last night, my neighbor kid knocked on my front door and stuttered to me that there was a pit loose behind my house. Knowing that there were kids outside, I went out with an oak stick and my .357 snub. I had no intent on harming the animal, but to protect the kids in case it was trained poorly as so many are in my area. Yes, my own prejudice came out - but not for the animal, but for the humans who raised him.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
IMO, the author of the article is a moron. Again, it's an apples and oranges case. I take no stance on abortion whatsoever - I have no religious convictions, yet I believe in population control.

But for dog fighting, I'm against it. I'm not opposed to dogs fighting amongst themselves - they do that naturally. But for organized dog fights, the idea just sickens me. For anyone to train their dog for that sort of behavior is a complete lack of respect for all life (no, not equating a fetus to a dog). Any animal lover, or anyone with sympathy at all, would agree that people are culprit in all of this. Vick deserves what they give him, unless it's light.

The reputation that pits have is a horrible truth, as with any of these so-called dangerous breeds. As proud pappa to a 9-month old male Great Dane, I see the look in people's eyes when they see a big or threatening dog. Danes merely have size, but pits have the "reputation". I trust the dogs, not the owners.

Last night, my neighbor kid knocked on my front door and stuttered to me that there was a pit loose behind my house. Knowing that there were kids outside, I went out with an oak stick and my .357 snub. I had no intent on harming the animal, but to protect the kids in case it was trained poorly as so many are in my area. Yes, my own prejudice came out - but not for the animal, but for the humans who raised him.
:goodpost:

As an owner of a 'restricted breed' I get to deal with misconceptions and prejudices all the time.

X

PumpYouUp

PumpYouUp

Awards
  • Established
I think the point is that most people should have to take a pill to get pregnant..... Population control! Eliminate Abortions and improve the genetics of our world you have to be Government approved to have kids!!

yes this is joke but maybe one day it will be reality.....

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I think the point is that most people should have to take a pill to get pregnant..... Population control! Eliminate Abortions and improve the genetics of our world you have to be Government approved to have kids!!

yes this is joke but maybe one day it will be reality.....
It'll be voluntary. Afterall, who wouldn't want their kid to be the best football player, or the best gymnast, or lawyer, or whatever? Once it becomes possible to order genetic advantages people will be doing so without government nudging.

Reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Gattaca. No particular part of the movie - acting, directing, story, etc. - is by itself impressive. But overall it works very well and kind of succeeds because of the powerful ideas underpinning it.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love how most universities and colleges and even down in the high school level, schools try to teach that there are no moral absolutes. What should be expected from such a country?

I find dog fighting to be pretty terrible. I think the Chinese had it right with the insects; everyone should have left it at that.

As for abortion (partial birth), I'm against it 100%; morning after pill I'm still on the fence about. I've talked to a number of women on this subject. The ones that have had abortions regret it completely, and are never the same after them; the ones I asked, "Why not just put the child up for adoption?" usually reply with something about not wanting to change their body, i.e. gain weight, stretch marks, etc. Sounds rather selfish to me.

I think the OP was just trying to put into perspective what this nation tends to care more about, not necessarily compare the two.

PumpYouUp

PumpYouUp

Awards
  • Established
Reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Gattaca. No particular part of the movie - acting, directing, story, etc. - is by itself impressive. But overall it works very well and kind of succeeds because of the powerful ideas underpinning it.

Yes that is a badass movie!