Player: Fellow golfer admitted steroid use

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Player: Fellow golfer admitted steroid use
Associated Press

Gary Player put steroids at the forefront of the British Open on Wednesday, saying golf has its head buried in a bunker if it thinks the sport is clean and he knows of one player using performance-enhancing drugs.

The nine-time major champion urged golf organizations to start random testing.

"It's absolutely essential that we do that," Player said at Carnoustie, where he won the British Open in 1968. "We're dreaming if we think it's not going to come into golf."

Player says it already has.

"Whether it's HGH, whether it's Creatine or whether it's steroids, I know for a fact that some golfers are doing it," he said.

Asked how he knew for certain, he said one golfer told him.

"I took an oath prior to him telling me — I won't tell you where — but he told me what he did, and I could see this massive change in him," Player said. "And somebody else told me something, that I also promised I wouldn't tell, that verified others had done it."

The cryptic accusation put the Royal & Ancient Golf Club on the defensive over why it does not have drug testing at the British Open, with chief executive Peter Dawson being asked whether he was concerned that its winner could be using steroids.

"I don't know if Gary Player is right about golfers being on drugs, frankly, so I really can't comment," Dawson said. "One thing I do know is that we're not drug testing here at the Open championship this week, so just how that would be identified, I'm not sure."

The R&A and the USGA used drug testing for the first time last November at the World Amateur Team Championship in South Africa, where all 12 samples came back negative.

The LPGA Tour has said it will start drug testing next year and recently disclosed a list of banned substances to its players. The European Tour and the PGA Tour are working on drug policies, which PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem said likely would lead to a testing program, although its first step is developing a list of drugs that would be banned.

Player did not say when this conversation with the purported steroid user took place, nor did he say whether he shared this information with tour officials.

"I can't speak to Gary's remarks," PGA Tour spokesman Ty Votaw said. "I can't disagree and I can't agree with him. They are his remarks that he is free to make."

None of the top players concurred with Player.

"He knows two (players)? I know zero," six-time major winner Nick Faldo said. "Never heard of anybody."

Tiger Woods, who last year said he would like to see the PGA Tour begin drug testing as quickly as possible, was asked Tuesday if he would be surprised if a golfer tested positive for drug use.

"If anything, probably out here it would be testing positive for maybe being hung over a little bit," Woods said. "But that's about it. I know some guys have taken Medrol packs for inflammation in their wrists, but other than that, I really don't see anybody doing anything, or have heard anybody doing anything."

Phil Mickelson also said he thought golfers were clean.

"I don't think there's even a remote chance that will happen," he said of a golfer testing positive for steroids.

The R&A and USGA are the governing bodies for golf around the world, although both Dawson and USGA executive director David Fay have said that leaders of the professional tours should take the lead in developing a drug policy.

Player said he felt 50 to 60 percent of athletes in the world are using performance-enhancing drugs. When asked for a number of golfers, he estimated 10.

"I might be way out," Player said. "Definitely not going to be lower, but might be a hell of a lot more."

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
God forbid any golfer use creatine....for shame!

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
this kid i know on my school golf team said they were ncaa tested, and their coaches were telling them not to drink high caffiene drinks before matches.

seemed a little exaggerated to me. I mean damn, i have put on some muscle, and definately am stronger than i was in highschool. I most definately can hit the ball farther ( actually hit a drive today that measured 341) but you still have to be accurate, and putt. Ben Hogan and Bobby Jones did all of this and way more back when none of this stuff was around. Not to mention all of the other greats.

The fact is, it has crept into the game somewhat, but look at golfers. Generally, they are not these crazy healthnuts like in other sports. In golf, it is more about pure skill, harnessing emotion, creativity, and practice. Technology alone has made every single player better by a longshot.

and so far, it has not mattered much. The best player will always win, and those players are too steeped in tradition to get caught up in hardcore crap ( I hope). It is not so pervasive and obvious as it was in say baseball.

some guy actually commented on my game "its like steriods without ball shrinkage" i thought that was pretty funny.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
using steroids in golf has got to be the dumbest thing ive heard of in quite some time

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I love a good expose ane some of the top stars have had body transformations like David Duval and Tiger but its hard to say, becase they don't train for bulk.

Gary Player could use a little refresher on what defines a steroid, but I do believe he has some knowledge of whats going down on the pro tour.

I thought golfer mostly used "beta-blockers" to steady their stroke.

I know that a good cycle will makes me feel extremely confidant and believing that I can do anything, which is always an advantage in sports competition.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Creatine ? Uh, what the hell does that mean ? No mo' red meat ?

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
using steroids in golf has got to be the dumbest thing ive heard of in quite some time
i guess its not so much about the strength increases but the help with recovery. some golfers get shoulder or wrist injuries or wateva and can be out for months at a time and it may be their only source of income. i doubt any big names do it but i rekcon there are probably some young bucks out there who have.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
This is actually old news, and not completely unfounded or surprising to me. Someone in every sport/competition will be looking for an edge.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
i guess its not so much about the strength increases but the help with recovery. some golfers get shoulder or wrist injuries or wateva and can be out for months at a time and it may be their only source of income. .
Yea, some of these guys have to scrape by on just a couple hundred thousand a year:rofl:

My favorite thing about the PGA is if you can consistently finish in the top 20 you can be very rich.

If you can consistently make "the cut" you can be regular rich!

Even if you just have a PGA tour card you can make decent money just being a local club pro!

What a deal!!!

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Yea, some of these guys have to scrape by on just a couple hundred thousand a year:rofl:

My favorite thing about the PGA is if you can consistently finish in the top 20 you can be very rich.

If you can consistently make "the cut" you can be regular rich!

Even if you just have a PGA tour card you can make decent money just being a local club pro!

What a deal!!!
well i think golf is probably one of the most skillfull sports in the world. Requires shidloads of training from a young age. If these guys can earn a bucket then go for it. but for every successful golfer there is a thousand guys just trying to make the cut at the local tournament. He doesn't have sponsership. has to pay for hotels and flights all over the place. Thats why i think roids have come into it.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It's as bad as the racing pigeons using juice. lol

I suppose the chess club is going start testing now.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
Many AAS increase focus drastically. AAS have been shown to increase hand eye coordination as well. Then there's recovery. Injuries from repeated use are very common in golf.

texxlnghorn

Awards
Gary Player just made his self look like a dumb ass. Comparing steroids to creatine.

No amount of steroids or HGH is going to help your putt game.
Why do you think Sergio Garcia lost the British Open.
He can drive, but can't putt.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Gary Player just made his self look like a dumb ass. Comparing steroids to creatine.

No amount of steroids or HGH is going to help your putt game.
Why do you think Sergio Garcia lost the British Open.
He can drive, but can't putt.
he was downriht unlucky on a lot of his shots.

Putting is important but so much more goes into it. Steriods ould help a golfer over the years.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm sure there are aspect of each game that can't be helped in a direct route but a lot of the effects of Steroids, HGH etc can help indirectly through recovery, pain relief etc. Especially since focus, concentration and other positive mental effects can help the putt game.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure there are aspect of each game that can't be helped in a direct route but a lot of the effects of Steroids, HGH etc can help indirectly through recovery, pain relief etc. Especially since focus, concentration and other positive mental effects can help the putt game.
Yeah, I was watching the PA interview on Costas NOW last night. PA said Conte and him found there was a definite improvement in hand eye coordination, focus, and reaction time of all the athletes on "the program." Makes perfect sense to me.

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
gary player is a golf great, but he really doesnt know what the distinctions are, and quite frankly, why should he. it is of no interest to him, so he sounded a bit ignorant. no biggy.

the strength, recovery, and focus increases are all helpful, but many aspects of golf involve trust, creativity, and "feel". Feel is the most important aspect of golf, and I dont think any type of steriod can really improve your "feel" for shots.