Benoit tests positive...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Wrestler's slain son was probably sedated, investigators say

Wrestler's slain son was probably sedated, investigators say - CNN.com

DECATUR, Georgia (AP) -- Investigators said Tuesday they found steroids and other drugs in the body of pro wrestler Chris Benoit, who killed his wife and young son last month before hanging himself in the family's home.

Besides steroids, Benoit's body contained the anti-anxiety drug Xanax and the painkiller hydrocodone, according to a statement from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

The GBI said Benoit tested negative for blood alcohol.

Benoit's wife, Nancy, tested positive for Xanax, hydrocodone and the painkiller hydromorphone.

The 7-year-old son, Daniel Benoit had Xanax in his system.

"It is our belief that Daniel Benoit was sedated by Xanax at the time of his murder," said Georgia Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Kris Sperry.

The GBI said it could not perform tests for steroids or human growth hormones on the son because of a lack of urine.

The test results were expected to shed more light on Benoit's last moments. Authorities said Benoit killed his wife and 7-year-old son in their suburban Atlanta home, placed Bibles next to their bodies and then hanged himself on the cable of a weight machine.

Anabolic steroids were found in the home, leading officials to wonder if the drugs played a role in the killings. Some experts believe steroids can cause paranoia, depression and violent outbursts known as "roid rage."

Federal authorities have charged Benoit's personal physician, Dr. Phil Astin, with improperly prescribing painkillers and other drugs to two patients other than Benoit. He has pleaded not guilty.

Investigators have also raided Astin's office several times since the deaths, seizing prescription records and other documents.

Before he was charged, Astin told the AP he prescribed testosterone for Benoit, a longtime friend, in the past. He would not say what, if any, medications he prescribed when Benoit visited his office June 22, the day authorities believe Benoit killed his wife.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
No real surprise there.

It's sad that what should be yet another murder-suicide domestic violence case has been all twisted up into an anti-steroid propaganda piece.

Nobody is saying it was the Xanax. Nobody would dare blame it the codienes and certainly, nobody would dream of looking into whatever Benoit consider "religion" since he put Bibles next to the bodies. But let's go down the avenue with the least amount of actual evidence.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
Well Chris Benoit's test level was 207 which is only slightly elevated. Honestly for most guys on the board, that'd be considered "meh". Heck, if he were taking even just 400mg a week, his test levels would be higher. Sounds to me like he was on a legit replacement dose for someone his size.

As for interesting stuff. Everyone had Xanax in their system. Both he and his wife had hydrocodone in their system.

His WIFE had a blood alcohol of 0.184

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The Xanax and painkillers along with a previous history of domestic problems seem like huge red flags that there was something not right with the situation. It would be really stupid to see a slightly elevated test level get blamed and HRT get put on trial due to this.

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
Funny how the above article purposely omits another relevant comment from the medical examiner.

Steroids, other drugs found in Benoit's body - Pro wrestler's death - MSNBC.com

The state’s top medical examiner, Dr. Kris Sperry, said there was no evidence of any other anabolic steroids in the wrestler’s body, and nothing to show that steroids played a role in the death of Nancy and Daniel Benoit.

“An elevation of that ratio does not translate into something abnormal in a person’s thought process or behavior,” he said.

SoMdHunter

SoMdHunter

Awards
  • Established
Well Chris Benoit's test level was 207 which is only slightly elevated. Honestly for most guys on the board, that'd be considered "meh". Heck, if he were taking even just 400mg a week, his test levels would be higher. Sounds to me like he was on a legit replacement dose for someone his size.

As for interesting stuff. Everyone had Xanax in their system. Both he and his wife had hydrocodone in their system.

His WIFE had a blood alcohol of 0.184
The MSNBC article link said his levels were 10 times above normal. And if his total test were 207, that is well below the normal range.

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
The MSNBC article link said his levels were 10 times above normal. And if his total test were 207, that is well below the normal range.
Aparently they listed his test levels in micrograms/L instead of ng/dL which is standard. So by that measurement his test levels were pretty damn high. I looked it up and what I found was accepted standard levels are 300-1000ng/dL actually.

207micrograms/L = 20700 ng/dL which is actually like 20 times normal.

SoMdHunter

SoMdHunter

Awards
  • Established
Aparently they listed his test levels in micrograms/L instead of ng/dL which is standard. So by that measurement his test levels were pretty damn high. I looked it up and what I found was accepted standard levels are 300-1000ng/dL actually.

207micrograms/L = 20700 ng/dL which is actually like 20 times normal.
Yeah, I found it on another site. Looks like the ME doesn't know crap about blood serum levels of Test.

They say his levels were only slightly elevated.

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21292843.shtml