best buy busted

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn, I worked for Best Buy through college. It was a pretty cool company to work for. I wouldn't have foreseen something like this happening. When I read your post I just thought it was going to be about those service plans.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
What can you tell us about those service plans?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The departments were scored on a ratio of service plan dollars to total sales dollars sold...same with accessories. This was five or more years ago, but both were/are "cash cows", so I'm sure that hasn't changed.

In all honestly though, they really were/are worth it for some products...others, not so much though. Things like camcorders, digital cameras, cell phones, PDAs and big screen TVs were worth it. DVD players, small TVs (tubes), washer/dryer, printers, etc were not worth it IMO.

Typically the products that come with rechargable batteries, those that need maintenance, and high end products are worth covering.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't have a local Best Buy store, but I do have a Circuit City and they seem to be pretty much the same to me...Extremely overpriced!. Sometimes when I can't find something small like some kind of cable or something at Wal-Mart I go into Circuit City to look and always come out disapointed and pissed off because the prices are outrageous!. I have only made one purchase at CC and it was some DVD-RW discs. Honestly I don't know why I ever go in there and probally will never vist the store again, even next time I am in a jam and can't find something locally!.

Skyblue

Skyblue

Awards
recently i took an amp and subs to best buy to get wired to my car deck - the auto technician said my amp was blown and tried to goad me into purchasing a new one. i said no, ill try ebay. Bought a new amp, then had my friend check out the older one; only to find out the technician had taken out my fuses... sooooo i never ever go there, ever.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Nice! I actually got Best Buy into some trouble a few years ago. I went in and talked to a salesperson. I asked for laptop and digital camera that would work well together. He pulls out both (same brand even), I get them home and then learn that they are not compatible at all. I learned this from the maker of the stuff. I bring it back to Best Buy and they want to charge me a 15% restocking fee. This would have amounted to $450!!! I left everything on the desk and cancelled the check I worte them.

They then sent me to freaking collectiions saying I owed them for everything!! They said I never returned the laptop or camera. Unbelievable. I tried the BBB and the state Attorney General...nothing. Finally I called a local news stations investigative reporter. He interviewed me and played the whole thing on the five o'clock news! The next day some whiny prick from Best Buy called me and appologized profusley. This all happen about a week before Thanksgiving, the Friday afterwhich is the busiest shopping day of the year. Very bad puplicity for Best Buy. That was a happy day!! I haven't been back to Best Buy since.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Not a penny! Then what's even funnier, Circuit City starting running ads about a week later, advertising that they had no restocking fees.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm starting to buy everything online now. I even find that the cheap items on bestbuys site are not in the store so you have to buy the more expensive item or go home empty handed.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice! I actually got Best Buy into some trouble a few years ago. I went in and talked to a salesperson. I asked for laptop and digital camera that would work well together. He pulls out both (same brand even), I get them home and then learn that they are not compatible at all. I learned this from the maker of the stuff. I bring it back to Best Buy and they want to charge me a 15% restocking fee. This would have amounted to $450!!! I left everything on the desk and cancelled the check I worte them.

They then sent me to freaking collectiions saying I owed them for everything!! They said I never returned the laptop or camera. Unbelievable. I tried the BBB and the state Attorney General...nothing. Finally I called a local news stations investigative reporter. He interviewed me and played the whole thing on the five o'clock news! The next day some whiny prick from Best Buy called me and appologized profusley. This all happen about a week before Thanksgiving, the Friday afterwhich is the busiest shopping day of the year. Very bad puplicity for Best Buy. That was a happy day!! I haven't been back to Best Buy since.

Thats just AWESOME Crunch!!!. Can you find an online video newscast of that?. Maybe email your local news chanel to see if they have it?. I would love to see that!. Thanks for sticking up for us consumers!

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I could try, but doubt it. It was probably a good 5-6 years ago. Not sure if they'd hang on to something like that for very long.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
the fry's near me has the slogan , your best buys are at fry's (or something similiar)

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I came across this thread and I knew I'd have to comment on it. I used to work at Best Buy back in 2003. I used to work operations (cash registers) and one of the things they do is push some type of promotion. At the time I was doing it, it was Sports Illustrated magazine subscriptions, but I know they've done other promos as well. Even though we do not get comission, they had us pushing this crap anyway.

At any rate, we needed to get a certain number of people sign up for the magazine subscriptions and after an 8hr shift I'd have like 3-4 while others had 17+. Weird I thought, I must not be a good sales pitch or something. The manager pulled me aside and said that I'm doing it all wrong. What I was supposed to do was automatically sign them up without telling them. Then I'd have them swipe their credit card the first time and tell them to sign below. They'd think they were signing for their instore purchases, but infact they'd be signing for the magazine agreement. Then I'd have them swipe again and tell them that it didn't go through. This time they'd actually be signing for the charges, but unless your paying attention how'd you know ? I quit after 3 months, and I refused to be part of a shady operation such as that, especially after my manager implies that I should participate in such action.

Moral of the story ? Don't shop at Best Buy, and YES those stupid extended warranties don't do ANYTHING. Can't tell you how many upset customers walked away after stuff broke and got told to f-off after they tried to replace their items.