READ THIS FVCKING BS!!! Mr. Universe Arrested for Assault

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Mr. Universe Arrested for Assault
Apr 3, 7:06 AM EST

The reigning Mr. Universe faces assault and resisting arrest charges following a run-in with police who mistakenly believed the diabetic bodybuilder was intoxicated.

Doug Burns, 43, was sprayed with Mace and wrestled to the ground by officers who were summoned to a movie theater Sunday night by a security guard, authorities said.

Burns, who was trying a new diabetes drug that night, said Monday he was preparing to see a film when he felt dizziness and poor vision — a sign of low blood sugar — and hurried to a snack counter.

The security guard noticed Burns' strange behavior and asked him to leave, thinking he was intoxicated, Redwood City Police Capt. Chris Cessina said.

When officers arrived, Burns allegedly lunged at one of them, pushing him to the ground with both hands, and took a fighting stance, Cessina said. Burns continued being combative until four officers wrestled him down, the captain said.

During the scuffle, the officers did not notice Burns' Medic Alert bracelet. An on-scene medical test later confirmed that Burns had low blood sugar during the incident, Cessina said.

Despite the misunderstanding, Burns was charged with misdemeanor assault and resisting arrest.

"The fact is Mr. Burns assaulted our officer," Cessina said. "If he had just stood there and let us help him, maybe they would have called the medics if he didn't seem to fit the description of being under the influence."

A court date has not yet been set in the case.

Burns, a board member of the American Diabetes Association who often speaks to raise awareness about the condition, said he doesn't remember the incident clearly.

"I could understand if I was belligerent or had track marks, but I was nicely dressed and I don't think I fit the profile or smelled like alcohol," Burns told the San Mateo Daily Journal.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Unreal the police need to use their Fuc$ing heads. They just want to rush in to a situation and play bada$$. They should be suspended with no pay and also go back to the academy and learn to think before acting. Reacting based on the information a theatre employee who probably didn't graduate high school is not the best way to go about a situation.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
A big dude is always going to scare the cops.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
These charges will get dropped. Assault usually requires intent. Here, he was in the midst of a medical emergency. He had no intent to assault the cop or resist arrest.

Last edited:
rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Unreal the police need to use their Fuc$ing heads. They just want to rush in to a situation and play bada$$. They should be suspended with no pay and also go back to the academy and learn to think before acting. Reacting based on the information a theatre employee who probably didn't graduate high school is not the best way to go about a situation.

J i dont really think the police are at fault here.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
that is one thing i just cant agree with. if you are innocent and police have no reason to arrest/restrain you, you are still obligated to bend over and take it directly in the ass. the fact that every officer i have ever met has a serious problem with being a condescending piece of **** (no offense jayhawk...err mod) certainly doesnt help the situation.

this was a misunderstanding, and the police were at fault. Mr. U was legitamately defending himself....along with being in a state in which im sure his mental functions werent exactly 100%.

Resisting an illegitmate arrest carries the same penalty as a legitimate one. the system kind of blows, though i can understand why its necessary.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
that is one thing i just cant agree with. if you are innocent and police have no reason to arrest/restrain you, you are still obligated to bend over and take it directly in the ass. the fact that every officer i have ever met has a serious problem with being a condescending piece of **** (no offense jayhawk...err mod) certainly doesnt help the situation.

this was a misunderstanding, and the police were at fault. Mr. U was legitamately defending himself....along with being in a state in which im sure his mental functions werent exactly 100%.

Resisting an illegitmate arrest carries the same penalty as a legitimate one. the system kind of blows, though i can understand why its necessary.
Please read the 5th and 8th line again,carefully I might add, and tell me the police were at fault.

Edit: I am not an officer or anything, but some must not be reading the whole thing.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Please read the 5th and 8th line again,carefully I might add, and tell me the police were at fault.

Edit: I am not an officer or anything, but some must not be reading the whole thing.

"When officers arrived, Burns allegedly lunged at one of them, pushing him to the ground with both hands, and took a fighting stance, Cessina said. Burns continued being combative until four officers wrestled him down, the captain said."

is that the line you were referring to?

you honestly think that is what happend...here is what happend.

The movie theater employess thought he was drunk and asked him to leave. Mr. U is a bodybuilder who uses slin and knows the symptoms of hypoglycemia. They refuse to give him candy and or soda which engrages him because he knows he is in BIG physiological trouble and some punk high school kid working concessions is refusing to give him what he needs. to put this in perspective, it is entirely possible to die from slin induced hypoglycemia.

They see a huge dude who looks out of his mind and call the cops.

So what that line states is that, without words, warning. verbal altercation, explanation, or any preliminary interraction between the officers and mr. u.......Mr. U just saw them walk in the door, lunged at them, and pushed one of them down.

he assumed a fighting stance? do a couple iu's of slin and go hypo. tell me how trying to assume any position besides the fetal position works out for you.

does that make sense? it would sound pretty bad if the cops had indeed just handled the situation incorrectly and jumped the gun by being a bunch of tough guys. its a good thing the officers, not the suspect, fills out the reports or these officers might not look like such heroes.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established

I read the whole thing, and while the facts of this case so far are anyone's guess, one might want to ask why it takes a bunch of cops to 'help' a diabetic who is crashing get some candy or soda. Were they called in by the theater's security or already there? Did the security guard bother listening to Burns or just assume he was sloshed and try to throw him out? Did Burns get the sugar he needed or was everyone, including the cops, too busy 'helping' him, which in my experience means asserting their authority regardless of the need or appropriatness of doing so, for that to happen?

Maybe if cops weren't being asked to enforce a ****load of laws that make it necessary for them rule and lord it over otherwise peaceful citizens that wouldn't be a problem. Personally I find the idea that a law abiding citizen much less one sufferring a medical emergency, assuming both are the case here, needs to sit tight and wait for an over-responding group of public servants to feel comfortable with the situation a bit off the point. The guy needed a Snickers bar. Maybe if the security guard and cops would have listened to him instead of first making sure he knew damn well who was in charge this wouldn't have happened. Quite frankly if I needed timely medical intervention and some guy was standing in my way, cop or not he's going down and I'm getting what I need, consequences be damned and be dealt with later.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CDB again."

couldnt agree more. that is what i was really getting at, i agree with the last line especially.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Guys its a theater, there are children and families there. What do you think the officers in the theater did,just barged in and pummeled this guy in front of a whole bunch of children and families. Medical emergency from being a diabetic, Im sure the best thing for a diabetic with low blood sugar is to expend more energy. Where are the cops at fault, was it their fault for responding to the call, obviously they gave the guy time to jump 1 of the officers to begin with and then get up to get in a fighting stance. The article states nothing different and make up your own stories.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Guys its a theater, there are children and families there. What do you think the officers in the theater just barged in and pummeled this guy in front of a whole bunch of children and families. Where are the cops at fault, was it their fault for responding to the call, obviously they gave the guy time to jump 1 of the officers to begin with and then get up to get in a fighting stance. The article states nothing different, and you all go off on a tangent and make up your own stories.
Well, as has been said, 'lunging' while going through a major sugar crash is hard to do. Or at least I've been hypo enough to see how it would be hard. And as has also been said, if he wasn't breaking any laws and the security guards and cops were restraining him and stopping him from doing what he needed to do medically, one could say he had every God damn right to lunge at them. Presumably in the same amount of time it took for this situation to build to the point where cops (plural) were responding Burns had mentioned at least once or twice that he was a diabetic in need of sugar, and at least one of the responders could have listened and/or noticed a legit med bracelet...

Last time the cops 'helped' me it took five of them to give me a ticket for an dead headlight, one black and white pulling up after another for God knows what reason. Five officers responding, you'd think I was causing a problem, and getting more and more nervous sitting there for damn thirty minutes while they 'helped' me, wondering what in God's name I'd done in the last few years up until that very moment that they all might pounce on me for right then and there. Hell, I was so worked up I could have caused a problem without meaning to, and I don't doubt if they had reason to be nervous they could perhaps misinterpret something I did as causing a problem.

In my personal experience, and yeah that's all it is but it's all I've got, when cops or any other authority figure sets out to 'help' anyone they first and foremost establish their authority in the situation. While I can understand the need to a point, when you get one or more of them on adrenaline rushes making sure everyone else knows who's in charge, well maybe the fact that the guy was legit and all he needed was a soda got lost in the shuffle. Police are not infallable, nor do I expect them to be, but they can and do tend to over-respond in my experience. And, like I said, maybe if they weren't enforcing laws that required them to view every citizen as the enemy that wouldn't happen so much.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Well, as has been said, 'lunging' while going through a major sugar crash is hard to do. Or at least I've been hypo enough to see how it would be hard. And as has also been said, if he wasn't breaking any laws and the security guards and cops were restraining him and stopping him from doing what he needed to do medically, one could say he had every God damn right to lunge at them. Presumably in the same amount of time it took for this situation to build to the point where cops (plural) were responding Burns had mentioned at least once or twice that he was a diabetic in need of sugar, and at least one of the responders could have listened and/or noticed a legit med bracelet...

Last time the cops 'helped' me it took five of them to give me a ticket for an dead headlight, one black and white pulling up after another for God knows what reason. Five officers responding, you'd think I was causing a problem, and getting more and more nervous sitting there for damn thirty minutes while they 'helped' me, wondering what in God's name I'd done in the last few years up until that very moment that they all might pounce on me for right then and there. Hell, I was so worked up I could have caused a problem without meaning to, and I don't doubt if they had reason to be nervous they could perhaps misinterpret something I did as causing a problem.

In my personal experience, and yeah that's all it is but it's all I've got, when cops or any other authority figure sets out to 'help' anyone they first and foremost establish their authority in the situation. While I can understand the need to a point, when you get one or more of them on adrenaline rushes making sure everyone else knows who's in charge, well maybe the fact that the guy was legit and all he needed was a soda got lost in the shuffle. Police are not infallable, nor do I expect them to be, but they can and do tend to over-respond in my experience. And, like I said, maybe if they weren't enforcing laws that required them to view every citizen as the enemy that wouldn't happen so much.
What are you not reading, hes not breaking any laws yes,he is at a place of business, and being refused business which is in their right to do so. if someone either asked him to leave thats pretty much enough for the cops to be called. As far as stopping him so he can attend to a medical emergency, so if he was going hypo and he apparently fell over the cop in his hypo state, then what makes you think he could of helped himself. He obviously couldnt even stand , so do you think he would have made it to the counter. Now lets talk about this state of low blood sugar. He had enough energy and balance to lunge a cop (which you state was because he was hypo) but yet he had enough sense to gather himself after he fell or lunged on the cop to get in a fighting position. As far as your experience, so now because you felt uncomfortable all cops through out the united sdtates are now at fault every time they respond to a call. 4 cops? I dont know where you come from , when have you seen one cop respond to any call for police. personnaly I dont care if 20 cops show up to give me a ticket, if Ive done nothing wrong whats to worry about. Cmon give me something to work with.

Also if anybody here knows, diabetics are known to have mood swings.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
hes not breaking any laws yes,he is at a place of business, and being refused business which is in their right to do so.
Not an absolute right. You can refuse people for certain reasons, not others, medical necessity is an arguable category of ones you can't refuse. It's tantamount to saying diabetics can't go any place where if they go hypo they might not be welcome. While I agree in an absolute sense a place of business can and should be able to throw a person out/refuse service as they see fit, it isn't the legal reality. I don't think you're required to help anybody legally, but to actively bar them from helping themselves, say by getting some goobers, is I think illegal. At the very least it's unreasonable.

if someone either asked him to leave thats pretty much enough for the cops to be called.
And in the time between when he first tried to get some sugar and was refused and the cops showed up and everything else, no one heard him say he was a diabetic and needed sugar? No one spotted the med bracelet? Or was everyone too busy making sure the big guy knew who was in charge before they bothered to consider he was anything but a belligerent drunk?

As far as stopping him so he can attend to a medical emergency, so if he was going hypo and he apparently fell over the cop in his hypo state, then what makes you think he could of helped himself. He obviously couldnt even stand , so do you think he would have made it to the counter. Now lets talk about this state of low blood sugar. He had enough energy and balance to lunge a cop (which you state was because he was hypo) but yet he had enough sense to gather himself after he fell or lunged on the cop to get in a fighting position.
I don't automatically assume cops are telling the truth. I think I'm justified in that assumption seeing as they are human and like most other humans can make mistakes and be outright full of **** at times as well. I assume at some point during this episode Burns stated he needed some sugar and why. In their attempts to 'help' him one wonders why no one let him have access to said sugar, if only to calm him or shut him up, or even just in case to cover their asses.

As far as your experience, so now because you felt uncomfortable all cops through out the united sdtates are now at fault every time they respond to a call.
I said no such thing. I said in my experience cops have a tendency to over-respond. To quote you, "What are you not reading?"

I dont know where you come from , when have you seen one cop respond to any call for police. personnaly I dont care if 20 cops show up to give me a ticket, if Ive done nothing wrong whats to worry about. Cmon give me something to work with.
Considering your attitude and my lack of desire to deal with it civily today, I'm guessing this is the last post you get out of me, since I don't want to annoy mods I like. I've seen cops over-respond. Say perhaps emptying a few clips into a unarmed guy in a car, or perhaps another guy in a dark hallway. Here in NY it's not unsual at all to see several cars on the side of the highway/road only to see the guy drive off with what one presumes to be a ticket for a minor offense. We've also had people end up with broom handles up their ass. Cops are not above or below ****ing up or lying like anyone else, nor are they above over-responding and/or responding inappropriately because they misinterpretted a situation for whatever reasons.

In this particular situation I'm inclined to believe that if someone, from the security guard to the last cop who showed up on the scene, would have shut the **** up and put their need to assert themselves on hold for a second and listened, they would have given the guy a soda and none of this would have happened. If that seems unreasonable to you or anyone else based on the facts as we know them, well I don't much care.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Not an absolute right. You can refuse people for certain reasons, not others, medical necessity is an arguable category of ones you can't refuse. It's tantamount to saying diabetics can't go any place where if they go hypo they might not be welcome. While I agree in an absolute sense a place of business can and should be able to throw a person out/refuse service as they see fit, it isn't the legal reality. I don't think you're required to help anybody legally, but to actively bar them from helping themselves, say by getting some goobers, is I think illegal. At the very least it's unreasonable.

again , he didnt give them a chance. when they arrived how would they have known it was a medical emergency, it all started with the security gaurd. He obviously thought the guy was drunk so Im pretty sure he was refused service before the cops got there.

And in the time between when he first tried to get some sugar and was refused and the cops showed up and everything else, no one heard him say he was a diabetic and needed sugar? No one spotted the med bracelet? Or was everyone too busy making sure the big guy knew who was in charge before they bothered to consider he was anything but a belligerent drunk?

I don't automatically assume cops are telling the truth. I think I'm justified in that assumption seeing as they are human and like most other humans can make mistakes and be outright full of **** at times as well. I assume at some point during this episode Burns stated he needed some sugar and why. In their attempts to 'help' him one wonders why no one let him have access to said sugar, if only to calm him or shut him up, or even just in case to cover their asses.

I said no such thing. I said in my experience cops have a tendency to over-respond. To quote you, "What are you not reading?"

Considering your attitude and my lack of desire to deal with it civily today, I'm guessing this is the last post you get out of me, since I don't want to annoy mods I like. I've seen cops over-respond. Say perhaps emptying a few clips into a unarmed guy in a car, or perhaps another guy in a dark hallway. Here in NY it's not unsual at all to see several cars on the side of the highway/road only to see the guy drive off with what one presumes to be a ticket for a minor offense. We've also had people end up with broom handles up their ass. Cops are not above or below ****ing up or lying like anyone else, nor are they above over-responding and/or responding inappropriately because they misinterpretted a situation for whatever reasons.

In this particular situation I'm inclined to believe that if someone, from the security guard to the last cop who showed up on the scene, would have shut the **** up and put their need to assert themselves on hold for a second and listened, they would have given the guy a soda and none of this would have happened. If that seems unreasonable to you or anyone else based on the facts as we know them, well I don't much care.

I just dont go with the consensus that the police are in anyway at fault, I dont see the article pointing anything out that says that they did anything wrong. If anybody is to the blame it could be the security officers since he was the one who started the whiole thing and probably was the one who told the officers he thought the guy was drunk. I dont feel like debating this over and over, I will just agree to disagree.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
This incident seems to have been caused by fear. the movie employees were afraid of the "big guy", so instead of "helping" him they went into "defense mode", the cops responded to the call of a fearful citizen and reacted accordingly. Certain states have laws that consider intimidation a form of assault, meaning that, if you are so big that you make another citizen uncomfortable, you are required to go out of your way not to intimidate the other citizen. He should get off based upon his medical condition, maybe even sue the movieplex for insensitivity to his handicap!(get'em where it hurts)

Looking back this all could have been avoided if he would have pre purchased his candy.

Low blood sugar is a Muther F**ker !!!

That's why I always carry some mints!