Too much testosterone kill brain cells.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Too much testosterone kill brain cells.

Reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Too much testosterone can kill brain cells, researchers said on Tuesday in a finding that may help explain why steroid abuse can cause behavior changes like aggressiveness and suicidal tendencies.

Tests on brain cells in lab dishes showed that while a little of the male hormone is good, too much of it causes cells to self-destruct in a process similar to that seen in brain illnesses such as Alzheimer's.

"Too little testosterone is bad, too much is bad but the right amount is perfect," said Barbara Ehrlich of Yale University in Connecticut, who led the study.

Testosterone is key to the development, differentiation and growth of cells and is produced by both men and women, although men produce about 20 times more of the hormone.

It can also be abused, and recent scandals have involved athletes who use the hormone, or steroids that turn into testosterone in the body, for an unfair advantage.

"Other people have shown that high levels of steroid can cause behavioral changes," Ehrlich said in a telephone interview.

"We can show that when you have high levels of steroids, you have high testosterone and that can destroy the nerve cells. We know that when you lose brain cells you lose function."

Ehrlich's team tried the same thing with the "female" hormone estrogen, just to be fair.
    "We were surprised, but it actually looks like estrogen is neuroprotective. If anything, there is less cell death in the presence of estrogen," she said.

Writing in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, Ehrlich and colleagues said their findings meant people should think twice about supplementing with testosterone, even if it does build muscle mass and aid recovery after exercise.

"These effects of testosterone on neurons will have long term effects on brain function," they wrote.

"Next time a muscle-bound guy in a sports car cuts you off on the highway, don't get mad -- just take a deep breath and realize that it might not be his fault," Ehrlich said in a statement.

The cells die via a process called apoptosis, also known as cell suicide or programmed cell death.

"Apoptosis is an important thing for the brain -- the brain needs to weed out some of the cells. But when it happens too frequently, you lose too many cells and causes problems."

A similar process is seen in Alzheimer's disease, the most common cause of dementia in the United States, affecting an estimated 4.5 million Americans, and Huntington's disease, another fatal brain illness.

"Our results suggest that the responses to elevated testosterone can be compared with these pathophysiological conditions," the researchers wrote.

Next > Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

2. Great but how much is too much and was it directly injected into the brain of the lab rats?

"Next time a muscle-bound guy in a sports car cuts you off on the highway, don't get mad -- just take a deep breath and realize that it might not be his fault," Ehrlich said in a statement
    Cue in new treatment clinics and handicap stickers.

Bumper Sticker: I'm an ******* because I use AS
    •   

3. After reading this article I was furious, but then I could not remember why??

LOL
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html

4. This is interesting and a reminder that the body is a collection of dynamic systems.....when things go too far one way or another, there can be problems.

I do object to the quote from the researcher about the muscle bound driver....as it shows some prejudice which may be evident in her interpretation of the data.

5. Quote Originally Posted by yeahright
    I do object to the quote from the researcher about the muscle bound driver....as it shows some prejudice which may be evident in her interpretation of the data.
    Exactly my thought. Sounds like a pretty one-sided view. Either way, I'll wait for some worth-while data in living humans, and not test results on something in a petri dish.
    •   

6. kikazz

too much test can kill

Here is a little reading for everyone my thought was BS

Too much testosterone kills brain cells By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent
    Wed Sep 27, 8:23 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Too much testosterone can kill brain cells, researchers said on Tuesday in a finding that may help explain why steroid abuse can cause behavior changes like aggressiveness and suicidal tendencies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Tests on brain cells in lab dishes showed that while a little of the male hormone is good, too much of it causes cells to self-destruct in a process similar to that seen in brain illnesses such as Alzheimer's.

"Too little testosterone is bad, too much is bad but the right amount is perfect," said Barbara Ehrlich of Yale University in Connecticut, who led the study.

Testosterone is key to the development, differentiation and growth of cells and is produced by both men and women, although men produce about 20 times more of the hormone.

It can also be abused, and recent scandals have involved athletes who use the hormone, or steroids that turn into testosterone in the body, for an unfair advantage.

"Other people have shown that high levels of steroid can cause behavioral changes," Ehrlich said in a telephone interview.

"We can show that when you have high levels of steroids, you have high testosterone and that can destroy the nerve cells. We know that when you lose brain cells you lose function."

Ehrlich's team tried the same thing with the "female" hormone estrogen, just to be fair.

"We were surprised, but it actually looks like estrogen is neuroprotective. If anything, there is less cell death in the presence of estrogen," she said.

Writing in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, Ehrlich and colleagues said their findings meant people should think twice about supplementing with testosterone, even if it does build muscle mass and aid recovery after exercise.

"These effects of testosterone on neurons will have long term effects on brain function," they wrote.

"Next time a muscle-bound guy in a sports car cuts you off on the highway, don't get mad -- just take a deep breath and realize that it might not be his fault," Ehrlich said in a statement.

The cells die via a process called apoptosis, also known as cell suicide or programmed cell death.

"Apoptosis is an important thing for the brain -- the brain needs to weed out some of the cells. But when it happens too frequently, you lose too many cells and causes problems."

A similar process is seen in Alzheimer's disease, the most common cause of dementia in the United States, affecting an estimated 4.5 million Americans, and Huntington's disease, another fatal brain illness.

"Our results suggest that the responses to elevated testosterone can be compared with these pathophysiological conditions," the researchers wrote.

7. They never say how much test was used in the study. IMO, just a bunch of BS.

8. Uh, they never state exactly how much is "Too much". Seems like another "Steroids are bad" article.

9. Alcohol kills brain cells too.

10. I'll take 2g's of test over booze ANYDAY, lol

11. Laughable conclusions I think.

In vitro really isn't evidence enough to draw the conclusions they are drawing in the article. They say estrogen is neuroprotective, which is it, but they didnt allow any estrogen in the experimental conditions? Since when is testosterone present but not estrogen? It sounds like a large amount of test is responsible for the damage, but what about the T to E ratio? In males, is the proper ratio of T to E, no matter the level, indicative of neurological health? Or is it the absolute level of T? I am inclined to think it is the ratio of T to E, or else women would be much smarter than men (unless there are other brain-protective processes that coudl correct for possible T damage).

And then again, what amount of T are they subjecting the cells to? Normally these kind of studies push the boundaries to ellicit an effect worthy of publication. Is it all free T? Are they allowing for T-binding? If it is all free, how do they account for the fact that SHGB binds like what, 99% of the T in the body, inactivating it?

Great study,

But damn, boo the media.

12. Quote Originally Posted by kikazz
    Head over to PubMed and you'll find a whole bunch of studies showing the positive benefits of steroid treatment on Alzheimer's disease. Just found out about them recently myself. I'll take vivo over vitro any day of the week, especially when I know the doses used. My guess is they drowned them in a dose that on a mg/kg basis would be difficult if not impossible to hit in real life.

13. ....So does sneezing.
  14. Too much testosterone kills brain cells

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Too much testosterone can kill brain cells, researchers say, in a finding that may help explain why steroid abuse can cause behavior changes such as aggressiveness and suicidal tendencies.

"These effects of testosterone on neurons will have long-term effects on brain function," they wrote.

15. I'm beginning to think there must be some sort of joke here...this article has spawned a mutliple number of threads. Perhaps as though to say that we here at AM.com don't have enough brain cells to realise this article/report has been posted already.

Just a thought.

16. It's a good thing I got hypogonadism and I'm fine with having man-titties. I'd rather kill my brain cells by drinking and smoking rather than doing steroids. My goodness.

17. Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS
    I'll take 2g's of test over booze ANYDAY, lol
    my thoughts exactly

18. LOL I love the sterotype! Muscular guy in a sports car. Thats bull****! Everybody knows the really large dudes spend all their money on gear and drive beaters.ha!

19. Quote Originally Posted by motiv8er
    After reading this article I was furious, but then I could not remember why??

LOL

Stop shooting that South American Juice in your brain pan buddy

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  20. Smile

...I like cake!

21. if this is true, this is an asbolutely huge development. It lends incredible credibility to the "steroids cause suicide" and "behavioral changes/agression" argument.

however, i think its more likely its BS

and i have read more than one study stating that tesosterone causes increased awareness and mental acuteness in older patients, that doesnt sound like a brain killing effect to me, and if it is, its only damaging the behavioral centers. i can live with a little extra agression i dont know about you guys.

22. Although I think the media and politics has really hyped everything up you're still dealing with Hormones by in-large uneducated people.(myself included so don't get pissy)

Cocaine has beneficial uses and was banned for ****ed up reasons but that still doesn't make other studies/findings completely false.

Screwing with test and throwing in another truck of chemicals into the body at the same time can have some nasty effects. Again i'll say; look at the number of AS users here who have admitted to anti-psychotic drugs, etc.

23. I think that there are two main things we should all take from this study:

1. It cannot be called a "scientific study" if the researcher(s) are prejudiced toward one outcome or the other. It is clear that Barbara Ehrlich of Yale University is not only biased, but seems to be quite judgemental too, when making the statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Ehrlich
    "Next time a muscle-bound guy in a sports car cuts you off on the highway, don't get mad -- just take a deep breath and realize that it might not be his fault"
    Simply put, it isnt science when a researcher is capable of blathering nonsense like this. Research is supposed to be done by unbiased and impartial individuals.

2. The method of the study is not defined. As most of us know, too much oxygen will cause cell death in every tissue in the body. So will too much water. How much apoptosis occured in this study? Can we compare the rate of apoptosis to a third group of cells that were exposed to alcohol... how about tobacco? What about a group of brain cells exposed to ambien or another acceptable, profitable, legal pharmicutical?

This article wasnt written about a scientific study. This article was politics.

24. People are confusing the scientific study for the mindless newspaper article. Yes, the study does mention doses, 1 and 10 micromoles over 6 or 12 hours. I'm not sure about the amount of test one would have to take to equal the increases they tested, but get the feeling its a bit more than most users take.

I have the pdf for this, but found it through a backdoor. Journal of Biological Chemistry the article is 'Elevated testosterone induces apoptosis in neuronal cells '... I won't post a link to a copyrighted journal for obvious reasons, but its easy enough to find. If it asks for membership info, you are on the wrong page :-) .

TSC

25. So what's your take on it Tsc?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2013, 01:53 AM
  2. Too much testosterone?
    By BigD89 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 01:58 PM
  3. Too much testosterone kills brain cells
    By earthdog in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 10:42 PM
  4. Too much testosterone kill brain cells.
    By VolatileMX in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 09:25 PM