S.F. reporters await fate for refusing to reveal source in steroid probe - AnabolicMinds.com

S.F. reporters await fate for refusing to reveal source in steroid probe

1. Elite Member

Post S.F. reporters await fate for refusing to reveal source in steroid probe

S.F. reporters await fate for refusing to reveal source in steroid probe
    DAVID KRAVETS
    Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO - Two San Francisco Chronicle reporters are awaiting their punishment for refusing to testify about who leaked them secret grand jury testimony from Barry Bonds and other elite athletes.

The government will ask U.S. District Judge Jeffrey White on Thursday for an 18-month term. The reporters are seeking a "nominal monetary fine" and other punishment "short of full blown incarceration," including house arrest and weekend jailing, according to court documents.

The government and reporters Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada have agreed that the writers are in contempt of court but that any punishment meted out should be stayed pending a ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.

Williams and Fainaru-Wada have said repeatedly they would go to jail rather than comply with the grand jury's subpoena and reveal their source or sources.

The two reporters published a series of articles and a book based partly on transcripts of the testimony of Bonds, Jason Giambi and others before a grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, a Burlingame-based nutritional supplement company exposed as a steroid ring two years ago.

Authorities want to charge whoever unlawfully leaked the transcripts, and told White that the reporters are the only ones who know who did. White ordered the two to testify on Aug. 15.

The criminal conduct being investigated in the Bonds leak case includes possible perjury and obstruction of justice by government officials, defendants in the BALCO probe and their attorneys. All had access to the leaked documents, but have sworn they weren't the source of Williams and Fainaru-Wada's reporting.

White ruled his hands were tied by a 1972 Supreme Court precedent that said no one - journalists included - was above the law and may refuse to testify before a federal grand jury.

The Chronicle reported that Bonds told the grand jury that he believed he was using flaxseed oil and arthritic balm, not steroids, supplied by trainer Greg Anderson, one of five defendants convicted in the BALCO scandal.

Anderson served his three months and is behind bars again for refusing to testify before another federal grand jury investigating whether Bonds committed perjury when he gave that testimony in the BALCO case.

The case is In re Grand Jury Subpoenas to Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, 06-90225.

2. Registered User

I really hope these guys go to jail for a while. I'm not sure what they wrote, as I have never read their book, but people who testify in front of a grand jury do so because they trust it is confidential. If you get your hands on confidential testimony it is your DUTY not to release it to the public. These 2 player hatin' jerks violated that trust. Lock 'em up.

Edit- let me clarify. If you have information that is going to in some way save a life or something like that, they spill it. However, if were just dealing with putting hormones in your body, shove it.
    Last edited by yeahright; 09-24-2006 at 03:05 PM.
  3. Banned

this is insanity.
    •   

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jomi822
    this is insanity.

The only insanity in this is that with all the problems in the country, we have grand jury time being wasted on hormones.

If george washington could see us now...
  5. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spatch
    The only insanity in this is that with all the problems in the country, we have grand jury time being wasted on hormones.

If george washington could see us now...
    that is exactly my point. stem cell research, the patriot act, america violating the geneva convention, gay marriage, the war in iraq, north korea and god knows what else....and we are still hung up on this barry bond's ****?

it is hysteria
  6. Senior Member

Atheletes who have used steroids while competing in a sanctioned sports league is t***** as compared to soldiers dying on foreign soil. However, the reporters are being prosecuted because they broke a very serious law. Witness and jury tampering is the ultimate crime in the judicial system. A witness who cannot trust the judicial system to protect his right of "free testimony" will not be likely to endanger or incriminate themselves no matter what the social value of the truth. We have seen many "whistle blowers" intimidated in the wake of terrorism and corporatism. It is refreshing to see the judicial system protect a witness. This is due process and does not green light any future abuses of the system by the press. Freedom of the press ends where it represses the freedom of speech of the individual, even if that individual is Barry "flaxoil" Bonds!
  7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by spatch
    I really hope these guys go to jail for a while. I'm not sure what they wrote, as I have never read their book, but people who testify in front of a grand jury do so because they trust it is confidential. If you get your hands on confidential testimony it is your DUTY not to release it to the public. These 2 player hatin' jerks violated that trust. Lock 'em up.

Edit- let me clarify. If you have information that is going to in some way save a life or something like that, they spill it. However, if were just dealing with putting hormones in your body, shove it.
    I have to agree here (with the first part), there is nothing in the constitution about not having to revile sources. If anything you are suppose to be able to confront your accusers. They are hiding behind the first amendment, there just isn't anything noble about what they are doing or did. Reporters are right up there with lawyers in my book so more often then not and really they are covering a crime. They should be hung out to dry.

But yah the whole thing has been blown out of all proportion. Barry Bonds is dirty as hell but he is part of a LONG list so I really dislike him being singled out like this.
  8. Registered User

The irony of this is that if bonds and the juicers didnt "cheat," the writers wouldn't have made any money off their book. The writers are against "cheating" so they should give all profits they made off of writing about the "cheaters" to charity.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 01:16 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-09-2006, 09:57 AM
  3. Time to believe Sweeney in steroids issue
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 12:55 PM
  4. what is safe for me to be taking
    By ant1456 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 11:29 PM
  5. Any places for Canadians to obtain nolvadex?
    By max silver in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 12:52 PM