Al-Qaida in Iraq warns pope that Islam will prevail

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Al-Qaida in Iraq warns pope that Islam will prevail

Associated Press
Sept. 18, 2006 02:56 PM

CAIRO, Egypt - Al-Qaida in Iraq warned Pope Benedict XVI on Monday that its war against Christianity and the West will go on until Islam takes over the world, and Iran's supreme leader called for more protests over the pontiff's remarks on Islam.

Protests broke out in South Asia and Indonesia, with angry Muslims saying Benedict's statement of regret a day earlier did not go far enough. In southern Iraq, demonstrators carrying black flags burned an effigy of the pope.

Islamic leaders around the world issued more condemnations of the pope's comments, but some moderates in the Middle East appeared to be trying to put a damper on the outrage, fearing it could spiral into attacks on Christians in the region.

On Sunday, Benedict said he was "deeply sorry" over any hurt caused by his comments made in a speech last week, in which he quoted a medieval text characterizing some of the Prophet Muhammad's teachings as "evil and inhuman" and calling Islam a religion spread by the sword.

Benedict said the remarks came from a text that didn't reflect his own opinion, but he did not retract what he said or say he was sorry he uttered what proved to be explosive words.

The Vatican on Monday sought to defuse the anger, ordering papal representatives around the world to meet with leaders of Muslim countries to explain the pope's point of view and full context of his speech.

Roman Catholic leaders stepped forward to defend the pontiff. At an Italian bishops' conference, Cardinal Camillo Ruini underlined the bishops' "total closeness and solidarity to the pope" and said they deplored interpretations of the pope's comments "which attribute to the Holy Father ... errors that he has not committed and aim at attacking his person and his ministry."

Few in the Islamic world were satisfied by Benedict's statement of regret.

"The pope's words have caused a deep wound in the hearts of Muslims that won't heal for a long time, and then only after a clear apology to Muslims," Egypt's religious affairs minister, Mahmoud Hamdi Zaqzouq, wrote in a column in the government daily Al-Ahram on Monday.

An influential Egyptian cleric, Sheik Youssef al-Qaradawi, called for protests after weekly prayers on Friday, but maintained they should be peaceful.

Extremists said the pope's comments proved that the West was in a war against Islam.

Al-Qaida in Iraq and its allies said Muslims would be victorious and addressed the pope as "the worshipper of the cross," saying "you and the West are doomed as you can see from the defeat in Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya and elsewhere. ... We will break up the cross, spill the liquor and impose the 'jizya' tax, then the only thing acceptable is a conversion (to Islam) or (being killed by) the sword."

Islam forbids drinking alcohol and requires non-Muslims to pay the "jizya" tax, though those who convert are exempt. The tax, sometimes called a head tax, has not been imposed in Muslim nations in about 100 years, though Islamic militant groups have tried to force non-Muslims to pay it on a local level in some countries.

"You infidels and despots, we will continue our jihad (holy war) and never stop until God avails us to chop your necks and raise the fluttering banner of monotheism, when God's rule is established governing all people and nations," said the statement by the Mujahedeen Shura Council, an umbrella organization of Sunni Arab extremist groups in Iraq.

Al-Qaida in Iraq said Muslims would be victorious and addressed the pope as "the worshipper of the cross" saying "you and the West are doomed as you can see from the defeat in Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya and elsewhere. ... We will break up the cross, spill the liquor and impose the 'jizya' tax, then the only thing acceptable is a conversion (to Islam) or (being killed by) the sword."

Islam forbids drinking alcohol and requires non-Muslims to pay the 'jizya' tax, though they were exempt if they converted to Islam.or early 20th century, though Islamic militant groups have tried to force non-Muslims to pay it on a local level in some countries.

Another Iraqi extremist group, Ansar al-Sunna, challenged "sleeping Muslims" to prove their manhood by doing something other than "issuing statements or holding demonstrations."

"If the stupid pig is prancing with his blasphemies in his house," the group said in a Web statement, referring to the pope, "then let him wait for the day coming soon when the armies of the religion of right knock on the walls of Rome."

In Iran, supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei used the comments to call for protests against the United States. He argued that while the pope may have been deceived into making his remarks, the words give the West an "excuse for suppressing Muslims" by depicting them as terrorists.

"Those who benefit from the pope's comments and drive their own arrogant policies should be targeted with attacks and protests," he said, referring to the United States.

The anger recalled the outrage earlier this year over cartoons depicting the prophet published by a Danish paper. The caricatures, which Muslims saw as insulting Muhammad, set off large, violent protests across the Islamic world.

So far, protests over the pope's comments have been smaller. However, there has been some violence: Attackers hurled firebombs at seven churches in the West Bank and Gaza Strip over the weekend, and a nun was shot to death in Somalia.

Some 200 Khamenei loyalists in the Syrian capital, Damascus, held a protest Monday at an Islamic shrine, dismissing the pope's apology. "The pope's sorrow was equivocal," read one banner.

Dozens protested outside the Vatican Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia, and schools and shops in the Indian-controlled section of Kashmir shut their doors in protest.

"His comments really hurt Muslims all over the world," Umar Nawawi of the radical Islamic Defenders' Front said in Jakarta. "We should remind him not to say such things which can only fuel a holy war."

Islamic countries also asked the U.N. Human Rights Council to examine the question of religious tolerance. Malaysia's foreign minister, Syed Hamid Albar, said Benedict's apology was "inadequate to calm the anger."

In Egypt, the Muslim Brotherhood said the anger should not be allowed to hurt ties with the Middle East's Christian minorities. But worries among Christians in the region are high.

Guards have been posted around some churches, and the head of Egypt's Orthodox Coptic Church, Pope Shenouda III, disassociated himself from Benedict's statements.

The Dominican mission in Cairo also criticized Benedict's words, saying he chose a text for his speech that "revived the polemics of the past."

"These comments, seen by many Muslims as hurtful, risk encouraging extremists on all sides," it said in a statement, "and put in danger all the advances in dialogue made in recent decades."

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
these people are a threat to everyone in the world, their religion, which for most of these people is their entire reason for existence, cleary states that we are the enemy and should be killed in the name of god. we need to start killing them until they get off their high horse and realize that no one gives a **** about insulting their dirty religion.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
word. fvck being politically correct anymore. That crap just gets us killed

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I think the pope's choice of words were not well thought out. :(

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Well, the rioting, burning of churches and the attacks on christian civilians... oh yeah and the nun who was shot 4 times in Somalia all as a result of what he said just solidifies and further confirms his point. "How dare you call us violent and savage. We will bomb you and kill many in the name of allah, and burn your places of worship, and assasinate your pope!" I mean come on they warned the pope to convert to islam... or else

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Zealots don't really need much of a reason to kill people. I say, keep insulting them. It will draw them out of the woodwork and help us answer once and for all "Who needs a killin'".

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Zealots don't really need much of a reason to kill people. I say, keep insulting them. It will draw them out of the woodwork and help us answer once and for all "Who needs a killin'".

Nicely put

R

RSX-S

Board Supporter
Awards
Well, the rioting, burning of churches and the attacks on christian civilians... oh yeah and the nun who was shot 4 times in Somalia all as a result of what he said just solidifies and further confirms his point. "How dare you call us violent and savage. We will bomb you and kill many in the name of allah, and burn your places of worship, and assasinate your pope!" I mean come on they warned the pope to convert to islam... or else
Exactly! They are mad about him saying they spread religion by the sword, and then they say because of his comments, the will make you convert to Islam or die by the sword. Like that makes alot of sense.

Those people need to get out of the dark ages.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
It is interesting that you seldom hear of a high ranking Islamist (even the 'moderates') denounce their radicals when they make off the wall comments, threats, observations about non-Islamic religions, groups nations etc. But they sure get worked up when any comment/cartoon/satire et.al. is made about them.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
It is interesting that you seldom hear of a high ranking Islamist (even the 'moderates') denounce their radicals when they make off the wall comments, threats, observations about non-Islamic religions, groups nations etc. But they sure get worked up when any comment/cartoon/satire et.al. is made about them.

You're absolutely correct. If all the leaders in the muslim community would speak out and denounce these extremists and their words/actions, that would make the news and they would likely be heard around the world, and might possibly help rid the world of these murderous a$$holes. Instead they remain quiet and the hatred of America spreads. But who knows???? Did you know that muslims call islam the religion of peace? Ironic.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
This is exactly the plan that the pope is executing right now. These were no casual remarks and his retraction perfectly timed.
If you really like conspiracy theories just google the "black" pope
but more realistically just google "the crusades". The last couple of popes played soft ball. This guys a German and he's serious!

You don't f-with the Catholic Church! they want your soul, even if they have to kill you to get it!

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
I think the pope's choice of words were not well thought out. :(
What choice of words? It was a quote, not his own words and it was taken completely out of context. Benedict XVI spoke at the University of Regensburg in Germany on Sept. 12 on faith and reason at modern universities. The pope quoted 14th century Byzantine emperor Manuel Paleologos II: "Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

But he also quoted the Quran, which says there is no compulsion in religion. This reference is in key with Benedict's previous remarks on Islam, in which he argues Islam is being betrayed by extremists who invoke violence.

BTW - does anyone find it interesting that the quote actually references the words of Muhammad to "spread by the sword".

So in essence all these Muslims that are protesting violently and killing nuns are pissed that it was pointed out that Muhammad was a prophet that advocated violence to spread Islam.

I'm so sick of the double standard...Muslim's can chant "Death to America", burn our flag, burn our president and the Pope in effigy, launch countless homicide attacks in every corner of the world, slam planes into buildings, call the president "The Devil" on our own soil in front of all nations...........and yet if someone from Europe or the West utters a single syllable that even hints that Islam is a religion of violence...then they(Muslim's) act like someone stabbed their mother and go berserk!

I swear I live in Bizzarro world!

THIS PICTURE SUMS IT ALL UP!!!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I think anyone who freaks out to the level of injuring another human being over any religion is a ****ing idiot, and needs to be put down before their DNA contaminates the gene pool.

Muslim, Christians, whatever. Two sides of the same rusty lame ass coin.

BV

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
agreed, religious wackos suck!

:run:

did you guys hear about the new season of Survivor? They are gonna make it like battle of the races on a deserted island or something... Just a thought, and no intent to offend, but could you imagine a season of survivor where they had only muslims and jews??? They'd have to make a bomb out of a coconut, 2 twigs, a seashell and some tucan poop... that would be awesome

K

krenalor

Awards
They are going to end up eating a bunch of nukes, and deserve each and every one of them.