• RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We need that fat
A little bit helps us absorb the good stuff in fruits, veggies, studies find

Connie Midey
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 12, 2006 12:00 AM

You've dutifully upped your intake of vegetables and fruits, finding more ways than you imagined possible to sneak broccoli, spinach and pink grapefruit into your day's meals and snacks.

But before you rest on your laurels, consider a piece of the eating equation that could be foiling your good intentions: Without adequate fat in your diet, your body won't derive maximum benefit from those nutrient- and compound-rich foods.

"The real health enthusiasts, the ones who really cut back on the fat in their diet, find that, in a sense, it's actually counterproductive," says researcher Wendy White, an associate professor of food science and human nutrition at Iowa State University.

She was prompted to study the issue by just such an enthusiast, a Procter & Gamble supervisor whose staff of scientists took the question to White after observing their boss eat large green salads with fat-free dressing almost every day.

In the study that followed, White found that essentially no carotenoids were absorbed when participants ate salads of spinach, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes and carrots topped with a fat-free Italian dressing.

Antioxidant, disease-fighting carotenoids, the compounds that give red, yellow, orange and dark green vegetables and fruits their color, are fat-soluble. That means they need fat in order to be absorbed by the digestive system.

Absorption was greatest when White's test subjects ate salads with 28 grams (almost one ounce) of canola oil, she says.

But even six grams promoted "significant" absorption of the carotenoids lycopene, alpha-carotene and beta-carotene, compounds believed to help protect against heart disease, certain cancers and other chronic illnesses.

Researchers at Ohio State University saw similar results when they added avocados, which are rich in healthful monounsaturated fats, to mixed salads and tomato-based salsas.

"It surprised us," says researcher Steven Schwartz, a professor of food science and technology at OSU. "Absorption of carotenoids increased five to seven times with the addition of avocado, which is amazing."

Carotenoids tested in the study were lycopene, beta-carotene and lutein, a compound associated with improved eye health. As a bonus, the avocado added nutritional benefits of its own, Schwartz says, including fiber, potassium and vitamin C.

Researchers still aren't certain of the time frame required for best absorption. For example, will coffee with full-fat milk an hour after a fat-free breakfast work? Probably not. Preliminary conclusions suggest fat should be consumed in the same meal as the vegetables or fruit, White says.

Nor are researchers sure how much fat per meal or snack produces adequate absorption. The OSU study used about 10 grams in each serving, Schwartz says, "and that could be high. Some people say you may need only three to five grams."

Iowa State's White cautions that study findings "are not a license to whip out the blue cheese salad dressing."

It isn't often, after all, that people eat salads or other fruits and vegetables in the absence of a fat-containing food, she says.

A high-fat diet contributes to weight gain, heart disease and other health problems. So she aims for a moderate six grams of healthful fats from canola oil, olive oil, reduced-fat cheese, seeds, nuts or avocado with a meal, plus the government-recommended five to nine servings of vegetables and fruit each day.

"Then even if you're not absorbing maximally every time," she says, "you still will have the blood levels of carotenoids that have been associated with protection against chronic disease."

Healthful ways to add fat to your daily diet
In the real world, you probably won't experience many occasions when consuming too little fat is a problem.

But for the times you do, simple changes like these to a day's worth of meals and snacks can help you increase absorption of fat-soluble nutrients from vegetables and fruits while keeping fat intake at moderate levels.

Breakfast: Old-fashioned oats with non-fat milk, cantaloupe and pink-grapefruit juice.

Add: Whole-wheat toast with one-half tablespoon trans fat-free canola margarine for about 7 grams fat and 35 calories.

Bonus: By concentrating on good fats such as canola and avoiding unhealthful trans fat, you're helping keep cholesterol in check.

Snack: Baby carrots.

Add: Two tablespoons hummus dip for 4.5 grams fat and 80 calories. Or one tablespoon ranch dressing for 7 grams fat and 70 calories.

Bonus: Hummus also provides protein and fiber, plus a little iron, calcium and vitamin C.

Lunch: Vegetable salad.

Add: One ounce avocado (two to three thin slices or 2 tablespoons) for 4 grams fat and 45 calories. Or a half-ounce sunflower seed kernels for 7 grams fat and 80 calories.

Bonus: Avocado is high in healthful monounsaturated fat, has no cholesterol and is a good source of fiber and vitamins C, K and folate. Sunflower seeds are rich in vitamin E and have no cholesterol.

Snack: Apple slices.

Add: Spread slices with one tablespoon peanut butter for 8 grams fat and 105 calories. Or eat with one ounce reduced-fat string cheese for 2.5 grams fat and 60 calories.

Bonus: Peanut butter is cholesterol-free and provides fiber, protein, niacin and manganese. Cheese is a good source of protein and calcium; try the reduced-fat kind.

Dinner: Grilled skinless chicken breast, sweet potato, green beans, tomato slices, diced fresh papaya and guava.

Add: Drizzle vegetables with 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato salad dressing for 5 grams fat and 60 calories. Or stir the fruit into 8 ounces plain low-fat yogurt for 4 grams fat and 143 calories.

Bonus: Salad dressings made of olive or canola oil, which are mostly monounsaturated fat, help to lower LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) and are a good source of vitamin E.

Sources: Researchers Steven Schwartz of Ohio State University and Wendy White of Iowa State University and Republic research

Reach the reporter at [email protected] or (602) 444-8120.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was amazed how much better my weight loss went when I upped my daily fat intake.

littlemack

Awards
People don't get it do they! You need fat to lose fat. Good fat sources. I totally agree.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was amazed how much better my weight loss went when I upped my daily fat intake.
Since I added a tablespoon of PB twice a day, my fat loss has really accelerated...not to mention it tastes so yummy

littlemack

Awards
Since I added a tablespoon of PB twice a day, my fat loss has really accelerated...not to mention it tastes so yummy
I know guys that eat a half a jar a day! Great stuff PB. Get the natural stuff and you don't get the added sugar.