Marion Jones cleared of doping

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established

09/07/2006
The finding means her initial positive result is thrown out, paving the way for her return to the sport she defined in the late '90s and early this decade.

Marion Jones is free to return to the track again, her record and reputation cleared after a backup drug test came up clean.

The "B'' sample taken from one of the world's best-known and most decorated sprinters did not detect the banned endurance enhancer EPO, her attorneys said Wednesday night - a stunning result that resurrects her career almost as quickly as it was nearly dashed earlier this summer.

The finding means her initial positive result is thrown out, paving the way for her return to the sport she defined in the late '90s and early this decade.

"I am absolutely ecstatic,'' Jones said in a statement released by her lawyers. "I have always maintained that I have never ever taken performance enhancing drugs, and I am pleased that a scientific process has now demonstrated that fact.''

Jones tested positive for EPO on June 23, after winning the 100 meters at U.S. nationals for her first sprint title since 2002. She faced a minimum two-year ban, pending the result of the backup, or "B,'' test, conducted at the same UCLA lab using the same sample. That sample came back negative.

The International Association of Athletics Federations said it is awaiting notification of the lab result.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
It's about time. It's ridiculous how one test says yes and one say's no. She was an easy target for sure though with her husband being caught