Americans Won't Eat Their Veggies

  1. Elite Member
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    10347
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    98.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Post Americans Won't Eat Their Veggies


    Americans Won't Eat Their Veggies

    Study Finds Most Americans Eat Less Than Recommended Amount of Fruits and Vegetables
    By Jennifer Warner
    WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
    on Friday, September 01, 2006

    Sept. 1, 2006 -- Mothers' pleas of, "Eat your vegetables," didn't work. The government's simple "Five a day" message didn't work. Now, a new study shows the new food pyramids aren't working either.

    A new USDA study showed, on average, less than half of all Americans ate the recommended daily amount of fruits and vegetables in 1999-2000.

    Researchers estimate the percentage who met the new MyPyramid recommendations ranged from a low of 0.7% of boys aged 14 to 18, whose recommended combined amount of fruits and vegetables is five cups, to a high of 48% among children aged 2 to 3, whose combined recommendation is two cups.

    Among mature women aged 51 to 70, less than one in five met their current daily recommendation, and fewer than 11% of all other age groups met their MyPyramid fruit and vegetable recommendations.

    "Americans need to consume more fruits and vegetables, especially dark green and orange vegetables and legumes," write researcher Patricia Guenther, PhD, RD, of the USDA, and her colleagues in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

    "Nutrition and other health care professionals must help consumers realize that for everyone over age 3 years, the new recommendations for fruit and vegetable intake are greater, and in many cases much greater, than the familiar five servings per day," write the researchers.

    Compliance Used to Be Easier

    In the study, researchers surveyed more than 8,000 Americans by phone about their eating habits.

    Overall, they found that 40% of Americans ate the previously recommended average of five 1/2 cup servings of fruits and vegetables per day.

    Those complying with the old "five or more" servings recommendation ranged from a low of 10% for girls aged 4 to 8, to a high of 60% among men aged 51 to 70.

    New Recommendations More Specific

    But the latest MyPyramid guidelines from the federal government recommend two to six and a half cups a day of fruits and vegetables, depending on a person's age, gender, and energy needs.

    The MyPyramid recommendations are a revision of the original Food Guide Pyramid and call for greater amounts of fruits and vegetables.

    The new recommendations also include more specific information about types of vegetables, such as dark green and orange vegetables and legumes, to ensure that recommended dietary allowances for nutrients found in greater amounts in these vegetables are met.

    What Are We Eating?

    Other findings of the study include:

    * The average American eats 4.7 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
    * Average consumption of fruits, total vegetables, and all vegetables except starchy vegetables (which include white potatoes, corn, and peas) is far below recommended amounts.
    * Americans are eating too many starchy vegetables. Researchers found the average number of servings was above recommended levels for 12 of the 15 age and sex groups studies. Five out of six of the servings of starchy vegetables are white potatoes.
    * On average, the number of servings of dark green and orange vegetables and legumes is less than a third of the recommended amounts.
    * The average number of servings of other vegetables is about 1/4 to 3/4 the recommended amounts.

    SOURCES: Guenther, P. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, September 2006; vol 106. News release, American Dietetic Association.

  2. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11682
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    47.82%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Man I love vegis but i'll admit that I miss out them a lot and since I started my log I noticed this and had to correct it. I eat as much as I can now. And have since felt a ton better because of it.
  3. Elite Member
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    10347
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    98.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    LOL, I know how easy it is to forget. After I read this article I stumbled into the kitchen and ate some carrots and lettuce.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    Skye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    1115
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    80.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

  5. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11682
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    47.82%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    He said Americans! Not Charlie commie bastards!
  6. yea!!!!!
    brk_nemesis's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,403
    Rep Power
    815
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    lol just to think i buy the big bags of uncooked beans religiously on my bulking cycles. i can down a 2.5 bag in a day only to start cookin more that night, hmmmm.
  7. New Member
    San Quinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    1608
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    14.52%

    I'll be honest I dont eat enough veggies, wish I could but the taste of some make me

    I know theres no real replacement of veggies but I
    just started looking into veggie supplements and maybe a juicer :bruce2:
  8. Elite Member
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    10347
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    98.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by San Quinn
    I'll be honest I dont eat enough veggies, wish I could but the taste of some make me

    I know theres no real replacement of veggies but I
    just started looking into veggie supplements and maybe a juicer :bruce2:
    Small steps add up over time. You can start with veggie supplements and build out from there.

    Right now I'm sitting at my desk eating oatmeal, peanuts, carrots and broccoli......but I used to have to swallow raisins like pills just to get some into me.
  9. New Member
    San Quinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    1608
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    14.52%

    Quote Originally Posted by yeahright
    Small steps add up over time. You can start with veggie supplements and build out from there.

    Right now I'm sitting at my desk eating oatmeal, peanuts, carrots and broccoli......but I used to have to swallow raisins like pills just to get some into me.
    Yeah thats what I plain to do, just not sure on which veggie supplements would be best?
  10. Elite Member
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    10347
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    98.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Smile


    Quote Originally Posted by San Quinn
    Yeah thats what I plain to do, just not sure on which veggie supplements would be best?
    I'd go about this two ways:

    NATURAL FOODS: What fruits/veggies can you eat? Write a list. I bet there are more on there than you first think. You're not in the habit of eating them but that's different from gagging when you try and eat them. Now that you have a list, go get them. Don't get crazy and overwhelm yourself....but if you like apples, get a couple apples. If you liked raisins as a kid but haven't eaten them lately, pick up some raisins. Then, once you've built up this repetoire, try something new everytime you go the the grocery store. Pick up one of the new thing, and give it a try. If you grab a nectarine and end up hating it, then you're out 40 cents. No big deal....but if you try a nectarine and end up liking it, then you've just expanded your list.

    SUPPLEMENTS: I'd suggest that you consider (1) greens - these are dehydrated green vegetables - the formulation varies by brand - which you can get in pill form or powder. Start with the pills. (2) Berry extracts - cranberry, blueberry, etc. Get some berry antioxidants in you. (3) Garlic. (4) psyllium - metamucil pills are cheap and they're a good source of mushroom fiber.

    Best of luck to you....just remember that you don't have to do it all at once. I used to hate raisins but I forced myself to buy some. At first I just swallowed them like pills....then I began to chew them....then I began to like them....then I branched out to other dried fruits (turkish apricots and dried blueberries are great).
  11. I know nothing...
    DmitryWI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,532
    Rep Power
    1413
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    31.77%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Turned out french fries still healthier than spinach...
    So don't tell me to eat veggies, I'm gonna get "super stacker" from BK.
  12. New Member
    San Quinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    1608
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    14.52%

    Quote Originally Posted by yeahright
    I'd go about this two ways:

    NATURAL FOODS: What fruits/veggies can you eat? Write a list. I bet there are more on there than you first think. You're not in the habit of eating them but that's different from gagging when you try and eat them. Now that you have a list, go get them. Don't get crazy and overwhelm yourself....but if you like apples, get a couple apples. If you liked raisins as a kid but haven't eaten them lately, pick up some raisins. Then, once you've built up this repetoire, try something new everytime you go the the grocery store. Pick up one of the new thing, and give it a try. If you grab a nectarine and end up hating it, then you're out 40 cents. No big deal....but if you try a nectarine and end up liking it, then you've just expanded your list.

    SUPPLEMENTS: I'd suggest that you consider (1) greens - these are dehydrated green vegetables - the formulation varies by brand - which you can get in pill form or powder. Start with the pills. (2) Berry extracts - cranberry, blueberry, etc. Get some berry antioxidants in you. (3) Garlic. (4) psyllium - metamucil pills are cheap and they're a good source of mushroom fiber.

    Best of luck to you....just remember that you don't have to do it all at once. I used to hate raisins but I forced myself to buy some. At first I just swallowed them like pills....then I began to chew them....then I began to like them....then I branched out to other dried fruits (turkish apricots and dried blueberries are great).
    Thats really good advice, Thanks

    Lets see I can eat almost any kind of fruit since I really like them. Veggies I eat broccoli by mixing it with chicken in red pepper sauce, sometimes spinach (not often) mixed in with some italian food, some carrots, corn, tomatoes in salsa, yams I think thats about it. So thats six total.
  13. Elite Member
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    10347
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    98.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by San Quinn
    Thats really good advice, Thanks

    Lets see I can eat almost any kind of fruit since I really like them. Veggies I eat broccoli by mixing it with chicken in red pepper sauce, sometimes spinach (not often) mixed in with some italian food, some carrots, corn, tomatoes in salsa, yams I think thats about it. So thats six total.
    That's a good start. Zuccini (finely sliced) and bell peppers are easy additions to italian food. Best of luck.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. how does everyone eat their steaks/beef?
    By loner in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-22-2006, 11:19 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2006, 04:47 PM
  3. Eat your veggies or you'll get hi Estrogen Jr.
    By MadJimF in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 11:33 AM
  4. Americans Advised to Eat Seafood Twice a Week
    By 200wannabe in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2005, 02:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in