Country star accused of illegally killing tame bear

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
I hope this ******* gets the maximum penalty.

Country star accused of illegally killing tame bear

DULUTH, Minnesota (AP) -- Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild.

Gentry, 39, of Franklin, Tennessee, and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, of Sandstone, appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in connection with a sealed indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis.

Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004.

The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.

If convicted, both Gentry and Greenly face a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine.

Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Gentry "relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit," Dorris said in a written statement. "Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment."

Greenly did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Montgomery Gentry, along with co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as "My Town" and "If You Ever Stop Loving Me."

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004.

That's not even for sport, its just cruel. Bastard!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i really hate sh1t like this. i have more compassion for animals than humans any day of the week.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Not sure I'd want this type of thing to be illegal, but it is a pretty cold hearted ******* kind of thing to do. Besides, real sport is hunting humans. Tried that with a friend of mine while we were camping once. Got my ass handed to me. Still, great fun and a great challenge even though you know the end result isn't going to be death for either of you.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
What a ****ing redneck *******!! I hope he gets maximum penalty, but he probably wont, because he has a lot of money.

This kind of thing happens all the time, unfortunately. There's a zoo in my area that's closing down, and the animals are being auctioned off. I dont doubt that there will be plenty of ****s there who think they're bad ass for shooting tame exotic animals. What a bunch of ignorant *******s.

BV

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
auctioning off animals from the zoo? never heard of that. do you need some sort of permit or something to own an exotic animal? that would be cool.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Well its not an AZA accredited Zoo. Its called 'The Catskill Game Farm' and has been a little zoo-like park for 73 years. I was going to make an attempt to buy the 2 White Rhinos, but they're go for big $$ no doubt and there's no way I could afford to build them a proper environment.

To bid at these auctions, I believe you have to obtain a bunch of USDA permits to prove you can afford to care for th animal and are not planning to sell it to a hunting farm, etc.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
That country fvck should be drawn, quartered, and eaten.. then puked up and eaten by bears.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I just don't even understand what it was this guy was getting out of this. What type of thrill could one possible get from shooting a tame bear trapped in a pen?

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Damn...what a fvcking coward.

The human race is such a sad existance.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I imagine this guy is basically doing an even worse version of cage-release hunts... he just didn't release his. People that have the money, but no patience and skill to hunt anything for real in the wild pay top $ to kill caged animals that are often drugged and released into a fenced "enviroment" and shot. There is no sport in this, yet I'm sure thetrophy wall mounts make conversation pieces accompanied with made up stories of great hunting trips. I'm not against hunting in general, but this type of stupidity can't be justified. Its like sucker punching a mentally handicapped kid and declaring yourself a MMA world champion.

You can say what you want about the target audience of this artist, but they aren't the type to respect someone like this. I would imagine exposure on this will ruin his country rep for awhile at least. I dont foresee any songs like 'Real men only bowhunt...caged animals' coming out anytime soon. :) I bet he's a real good bull rider too.. well, mechanical bull that is... well, unplugged mechanical bull that is.

TSC

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Id like to throw him in the jungle with just a kitchen fork and have him hunt a Jaguar. Then we'll see what kind of man he is.

BV

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
you are too generous. Same locale, but he would have to find/make his own weapons. True "primitive" weapon season. Forks are too high tech for this you know. Alright buddy, if we need to, we'll be back in a week to pick you up... later dude, have fun.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
We'll give him a guitar though, cause he's a musician and all. Take the strings off of course, and beat him with it first :)

BV

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I am a hunter, a biologist who's had to kill many animals as part of the job and an environmentalist and I think this guy is scum. Anyone who does canned hunts is not a hunter, they're a pathetic excuse for a wannabe outdoorsman who lacks the skill..and most importantly the respect for the animal in it's natural environment to be able to really engauge in a real hunt.

I take no joy in killing an animal for food. Killing an elk is a mixture of elation over getting meat for the year and some pretty heady sadness and respect at seeing a great beast breathe it's last breath. It's never easy and it should never be easy.

It's the people who do canned hunts and who kill for their pitiful egos that give all hunters a bad name.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I take no joy in killing an animal for food. Killing an elk is a mixture of elation over getting meat for the year and some pretty heady sadness and respect at seeing a great beast breathe it's last breath. It's never easy and it should never be easy.
Well said Bio.

BV

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I am a hunter, a biologist who's had to kill many animals as part of the job and an environmentalist and I think this guy is scum. Anyone who does canned hunts is not a hunter, they're a pathetic excuse for a wannabe outdoorsman who lacks the skill..and most importantly the respect for the animal in it's natural environment to be able to really engauge in a real hunt.

It's the people who do canned hunts and who kill for their pitiful egos that give all hunters a bad name.
Apparently I need to spread reps before I can give to you again.. but just know that what you said there is truly some of the most poignant thoughts I've read in my days on this forum. Well said Bioman.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bioman again.

well put bio. ;)

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't see the big deal if its legall to hunt wild bear. Whats the diffrence if you hunt it or it was caged? Then again I don't see the joy in hunting at all so maybe thats why I don't get it. I personally don't think anything should be killed unless your going to eat it.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I don't see the big deal if its legall to hunt wild bear. Whats the diffrence if you hunt it or it was caged? Then again I don't see the joy in hunting at all so maybe thats why I don't get it. I personally don't think anything should be killed unless your going to eat it.
Because he tried to come off as a big time hunter. Im not for or against hunting. I dont mind if someone does, but its just not for me - I love animals too much and if i dont need to kill to eat, I wont.

Hunting is a sport where, as Bio said, the hunter hunts his game not only for the kill - but for the challange that goes with hunting an elusive and/or powerfull game animal.

Again, bio said it best:

This piece of crap didnt have ANY reason to kill that bear. He's obviously not a hunter, and he didnt need the food. He's an ******* who felt the life of an intelligent living creature was worth taking to impress his friends.

Bv

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm also an animal lover and would never kill one unless it was attacking me or somebody else. I have no problem with hunting though since it is needed to control populations. I'm curious, is it even really a challenge to hunt a bear under any circumstances? I seen some nut on discovery channel was living with bears so they don't seem to be scared of humans and look like easy targets. The dipsh!t did end up getting eaten though.lol

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Bears are actually very wary in areas that they are hunted in. Black bears are typically very shy and have an amazing sense of smell that can detect humans miles away.

I worked in bear country for years before I actually got to see any. Even then, it was purely by chance. I do not hunt predators.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
I’m a little surprised to read that you don’t see the big deal. It was caged that’s the big deal. If you are going to go hunting, then the hunt part should be involved. As far as shooting bears. It’s not like there just walking around up in the mountains out in the open waiting for someone to drive up and shoot them. I bet it takes some hunting skill to go get one.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bears are actually very wary in areas that they are hunted in. Black bears are typically very shy and have an amazing sense of smell that can detect humans miles away.

I worked in bear country for years before I actually got to see any. Even then, it was purely by chance. I do not hunt predators.
Bears live in my area and in 28 years I've never seen one... well I thought I saw one dive in the woods but it was night. I think black bears is what we have in Pa. I'm glad their shy. That means I probably won't see them and they probably won't see me. I like it that way.lol

Curiousity: Is it the grizzly bears and polar bears that aren't shy ? Either way I don't have to worry about those one in my neck of the woods anyway.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m a little surprised to read that you don’t see the big deal. It was caged that’s the big deal. If you are going to go hunting, then the hunt part should be involved. As far as shooting bears. It’s not like there just walking around up in the mountains out in the open waiting for someone to drive up and shoot them. I bet it takes some hunting skill to go get one.
The main reason I said I didn't see it as a big deal is because I look at it as if your going to kill a bear what makes the diffrence if its in the woods or not. I understand the idea of sport but in reality the bear is dead either way. I look at it similar to the fact we don't hunt cows and chickens. It seems I've been corrected and black bears are hard to hunt. I was curious since the only bears I see are the ones on tv that let humans close to them.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The main reason I said I didn't see it as a big deal is because I look at it as if your going to kill a bear what makes the diffrence if its in the woods or not. I understand the idea of sport but in reality the bear is dead either way. I look at it similar to the fact we don't hunt cows and chickens. It seems I've been corrected and black bears are hard to hunt. I was curious since the only bears I see are the ones on tv that let humans close to them.
I dont know about chickens, but cows can be pretty intelligent animals. I grew up on a farm and sometimes we'd put a cow in the freezer so we'd have meat for a year - always took me a little bit to get over it.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The big deal is that an animal in its own habitat is less likely to be killed. It is not dead either way. There are limitations on hunters both on how and where they are allowed to hunt as well as ways to control the total number of kills. Chances are, without a backing vocal track, voice filters and a professional song writer and hunting guide,.. this guy would never kill anything that can move on its own... (aside from perhaps pedesterians during a drunk driving binge).

There have been some great strides made by concerned groups to get scientists/environmentalists and hunters to realize they need each other and actually want the same thing in the end. Given a chance, there are always people that will wipe out a population with no regards to the future. For any resource to be renewable, there have to be major restrictions in place. Sportsmen at the very least understand the need for this, but often morons like this and some commerical interests as well have no respect for the future. Its only one bear, but any time something like this happens it should be a big deal, he should get punished for it, and people should look at him for the fraud he is.

On a side, it doesn't matter how many bears anyone sees in their area, or how populated or rare you may think they are. On a federal and state level several people determine the best limits on every huntable species. There is always some disagreement on how much is right, and some areas are stricter than need be.. others too loose.

The laws are there for very valid reasons and being a rich recording artist isn't a good defense. If you are a drunk vice president you can shoot anything, but I digress. :numbered: (in his defense, wildlife and fisheries never did set baglimits for fellow hunters).

I mainly only fish, used to hunt duck for awhile, but I know I'd be pissed if I couldn't get a tag for bear that year but this guy did and then used it to kill a caged tame bear he bought. Not only is he breaking various laws, but he screwed a law abiding citizen out of a tag as well.

TSC

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Excellent points TSC.

Bears live in my area and in 28 years I've never seen one... well I thought I saw one dive in the woods but it was night. I think black bears is what we have in Pa. I'm glad their shy. That means I probably won't see them and they probably won't see me. I like it that way.lol

Curiousity: Is it the grizzly bears and polar bears that aren't shy ? Either way I don't have to worry about those one in my neck of the woods anyway.

Black bears are definitely the shyest although once in a while one will go crazy (anything with intelligence can have mental issues IMO) and go after people for food.

Grizzlies are surprisingly shy and like black bears, will go to great lengths to avoid people. Under certain circumstances they are more likely to hold their ground than blackies and this is when things can get really ugly. Some populations of grizzlies are so remote that some of the bears have never dealt with humans and may lack fear of them, but all in all they avoid people.

Polar bears..not afraid of anything or anyone and will hunt you down on the pack ice without hesitation.