Sexual Lyrics Prompt Teens to Have Sex

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
IPOD=SEX!!

Songs depicting men as "sex-driven studs," women as sex objects and with explicit references to sex acts are more likely to trigger early sexual behavior than those where sexual references are more veiled and relationships appear more committed, the study found.
I wish i had an Ipod when I was a kid :(

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Does this mean Rap is a precursor to HIV? Thats what I was told in sunday school.

:eek:

:D

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Did they consider the fact that certain kids (those most likely to have sex) may be more likely to listen to such music?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Did they consider the fact that certain kids (those most likely to have sex) may be more likely to listen to such music?
No...the people who interpret those results never think of that kind of thing.

Similarly, a correlation between getting implants and suiced was noted and the reporters basically said that getting implants increases your risk of suicide instead of noting the obvious: insecure girls who would go so far as to contemplate suicide are more likely to get implants to make up for self image issues.:fool2:

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hahaha i wonder what the conversion rate is of Rap % to sex % as a precursor and how much it takes to see results! :dance: :lol:

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
gotcha, I need to dose my wife with rap music. I wonder if I can wear earplugs while dosing her.

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
I think its funny when studies come out that confirm common sense.

How is it any different than listening to "positive" messages to promote positive outcomes (quit smoking, do well on tests, have confidence, etc.)

Input = Output

If you don't believe that, then why do you do what you do to become what you want? If INPUT means nothing, why do people care so much about it?

Arguing that is like saying people don't take steroids for a performance advantage, or only hunt to enjoy the outdoors, not to kill animals...come on, people.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
All teenagers want to have sex badly. Nothing in this world effectively discourages them or even encourages them more. Most who took chastity vows broke them because they're just humans, not because of any societal input or pressure. Even Amish teens have sex.

It is in society's nature to seek a scapegoat. It's not the fact that kids have 100X more hormones coursing through their veins..it's music.

It's Elvis' and Chuck Berry's fault.

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
All teenagers want to have sex badly. Nothing in this world effectively discourages them or even encourages them more. Most who took chastity vows broke them because they're just humans, not because of any societal input or pressure. Even Amish teens have sex.

It is in society's nature to seek a scapegoat. It's not the fact that kids have 100X more hormones coursing through their veins..it's music.

Teenage BOYS, yes. Teenage girls? Not nearly as much.

Actually societal input and pressure make all the difference. I have been to places where 99% if not 100% of the high school kids leave as virgins. They are also human too. So, it is definitely social factors.

Chippewa

Chippewa

Awards
  • Established
No...the people who interpret those results never think of that kind of thing.

Similarly, a correlation between getting implants and suiced was noted and the reporters basically said that getting implants increases your risk of suicide instead of noting the obvious: insecure girls who would go so far as to contemplate suicide are more likely to get implants to make up for self image issues.:fool2:
Actually, they DID conclude precisely that very thing:

Breast Implants Increase Suicide Risk
Women who get them three times more likely to take their own lives, study finds

FRIDAY, Sept. 19 (HealthDayNews) -- Women who have cosmetic breast enhancement surgery may have triple the risk of suicide compared to other women.

So says an American-Finnish study in the October issue of the Annals of Plastic Surgery.

The researchers say their findings indicate the need for plastic surgeons to assess patients' mental health status before performing breast enlargement surgery.

The study included 2,166 women who had cosmetic breast surgery at Finnish hospitals and clinics from 1970 through 2000. Those women's rates and causes of deaths were compared to women in the general population.

The women who received breast implants had no greater risk of death from cancer and actually had a lower risk of death from diseases of the circulatory system than women in the general population. The researchers suggest that could be due to a healthier lifestyle among women who have breast implant surgery.

But the study found women who underwent breast implant surgery did have a suicide risk three times higher than the general population. That suicide risk was particularly high in the first few years after implant surgery.

Of 10 women in the breast implant group who committed suicide, six killed themselves within five years of their surgery.

This study is the third in recent years to show a link between increased suicide risk and breast implant surgery. The studies don't prove any cause-effect relationship, but do raise concerns that underlying pre-operative psychological problems may result in an increased suicide rate among women having breast enlargement surgery.

The authors say that, during the first visit, plastic surgeons should ask these patients about past and present mental health issues and treatment. That could help a plastic surgeon determine whether the patient may benefit from being evaluated by a mental health expert before or after breast enlargement.

Chippewa

Chippewa

Awards
  • Established

This is a really good question (and of course replies below yours chide, essentially, "no, they never think of that kind of obvious thing"). But in sciences, it is proper method to understand correlation differently than causation; HOWEVER if one were to propose a causal relatrionship one of the criteria would be that the stimulus must come BEFORE the outcome behavior.

That's exactly what this study finds. If they were looking at the rates of teen sex among teens who do and who don't listen to certain music types, including sexual behaviors that pre-date them becoming listeners, then the scientists could only note correlation.

But support of a causal relationship (not "proof," but support) is found in the fact that the study notes that 1) these teens listened to the music before the onset of actual sexual contact in their lives, and 2) when actual sexual activity began, it was EARLIER among those teens. In fact, the authors aptly note that the study can't be fairly applied to Blacks, generally, precisely BECAUSE that group was likelier to have already initiated their sexual behaviors in life. Thus, when the facts are inconsistent with the theory the authors appropriately note it, which belies the cynical "Of course they never would have considered something so common-sense" criticisms. See, the authors DID consider it, and were careful not to apply their theory to groups when that was the case. As is proper method.

(itr's worth noting that the study has appeared in peer-reviewed journals, which are very attentive to proper method and to rejecting lazy conclusions or poor design, and "Pediatrics" is a VERY tough journal in particular--not a propaganda publication)

The article above presents a salacious and sensationalized retelling of the study in a more folkloric approach, such as the use of Ipods as a storytelling propr (found NOWHERE in the original report).

Here's an earlier version of a story on the same study (note the different tone and more cautious wording):

Sexy media a siren call to promiscuity

Apr 3, 11:04 AM (ET)
By Michael Conlon

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Sexually charged music, magazines, TV and movies push youngsters into intercourse at an earlier age, perhaps by acting as kind of virtual peer that tells them everyone else is doing it, a study said Monday.

"This is the first time we've shown that the more kids are exposed to sex in media the earlier they have sex," said Jane Brown of the University of North Carolina, chief author of the report.

Previous research had been limited to television, said the study which looked at 1,017 adolescents when they were aged 12 to 14 and again two years later. They were checked on their exposure during the two years to 264 items -- movies, TV shows, music and magazines -- which were analyzed for their sexual content.

In general it found that the highest exposure levels led to more sexual activity, with white teens in the group 2.2 times more likely to have had intercourse at ages 14 to 16 than similar youngsters who had the least exposure.

The effect was not as pronounced for blacks, the study said, perhaps because the black youngsters in the study were already more sexually experienced than the whites were when the research began and thus were less influenced by media exposure over the two-year period.

The teenage pregnancy rate in the United States is three to 10 times higher than that found in other industrialized nations, making that and exposure to sexually transmitted infections a major public health concern, the study said.

At the same time parents tend not to talk about sex with their children in a timely and comprehensive way, leaving a vacuum in which the media may become a powerful sex educator, providing "frequent and compelling portraits of sex as fun and risk free."
"Interestingly one of the strongest predictors of risk for early sexual intercourse for both black and white teens (in the study) was the perception that his or her peers were having sex," the report said.

Youngsters "may begin to believe the world view portrayed and may begin to adopt the media's social norms as their own. Some, especially those who have fewer alternative sources of sexual norms, such as parents or friends, may use the media as a kind of sexual superpeer that encourages them to be sexually active," the report added.

The study was published in the April issue of "Pediatrics," the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics. A portion of the data was previously published in the Journal of Adolescent Health.

The study was done in several schools in North Carolina. The authors said that they did not measure the impact of exposure to sexual material on the Internet because when the research began in 2001 relatively few of the early adolescents in the sample had Internet access.

Additional research should include exposure to Web-based material, the study suggested.

"It took many studies over a number of years to establish that violence in the media increased children's violent behavior and to begin initiatives to reduce harmful effects," the study said.
"Given the consistent findings regarding media violence, it may be prudent not to wait decades to conclude that the media are also important sources of sexual norms for youth," it added.

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established

So the only causative factor for behavior in your analysis of the human condition is hormones?

Why do athletes listen to specific messages before races?

Why do therapists use soothing music and not Pantera?

Why do studies show that listening to classical music increases testing aptitude in children?

To pretend that there are no other causative factors in the development of human behavior, and then to strawman your opponents by saying "society needs a scapegoat" is both logically fallacious and completely scientifically invalid. Not to mention it gives bad parents an excuse to keep sucking.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I also heard if you have a gun in your hand your a million times more likely to shoot people than somebody that doesn't have a gun in your hand. lol

Chippewa

Chippewa

Awards
  • Established
I also heard if you have a gun in your hand your a million times more likely to shoot people than somebody that doesn't have a gun in your hand. lol

Could you explain your analogy more? I don't understand it.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Could you explain your analogy more? I don't understand it.
Think about it really hard :lol:

In fact, the statement was 'technically' improper.

Without a gun, you can't shoot. Therefore the person with the gun is infinitely more likely to shoot because its impossible for a person without a gun to shoot one.

mmorpheuss

mmorpheuss

Awards
  • Established
So the only causative factor for behavior in your analysis of the human condition is hormones?

Why do athletes listen to specific messages before races?

Why do therapists use soothing music and not Pantera?

Why do studies show that listening to classical music increases testing aptitude in children?

To pretend that there are no other causative factors in the development of human behavior, and then to strawman your opponents by saying "society needs a scapegoat" is both logically fallacious and completely scientifically invalid. Not to mention it gives bad parents an excuse to keep sucking.
The main difference between Biomans hormone arguments and your three examples are that the hormones are always there, and your three examples are theories at best.

EX. For every intelligent kid that listens to classical music I can find one just as smart that grew up listening to Hard Rock and currently has a Misfits poster or the like on their bedroom wall.
On the same note, why don't we take a trip down to the Burger King, and ask the 40 year old fry cook if they ever listened to classical music as a child? Will they all say no?

You are hardly going to sway anyone with the anecdotal conjecture you just posted in rebuttal. None of those afformentioned theories of yours hold true with even half the consistency of the proven hormonal fluxuations in teenage youths.

Last edited:
bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I really didn't see myself as addressing "opponents" so I doubt I'd be too concerned about setting up a strawman.

"Not to mention it gives bad parents an excuse to keep sucking."

Quite the same thing is true if you defend the hypthesis being touted. How about parents just blame their teen's promiscuous behavior on the iPod and some baudy music? They'll have you, this rather questionable study, and the media who reported it to back them up rather than do what is necessary.

How many variables do you think this study controlled for?

The teens with iPods/dirty lyrics did have to, at some point download those lyrics. THEY sought them out. The music did not just appear in their iTunes. Can we then say that teens who select baudy music are more prone to sexual intercourse because they were horny already?

You can neither test for or control these variables and that's what makes sociology as "soft science". Show me a sociological study and I will show you something that is questionable by reasonable minds.

"So the only causative factor for behavior in your analysis of the human condition is hormones?"

Didn't state that, but hormones are the underlying cause for hyper, hypo or asexuality. The age group in question is hypersexual to begin with so trying to determine what makes them more sexual is at great risk of delivering data that just tells you what you want to hear. At age 14, I was turned on by laundry detergent commercials for crying out loud.

Why do athletes listen to specific messages before races? Do they? Or do they play a favorite song? I see a lot of them meditate or just watch the game. Babe Ruth would wake up from his bender, go out and kick some ass. None of these things has anything to do with being a horny teenager.

"Why do therapists use soothing music and not Pantera?"

New agers don't like Pantera :) and it makes the therapist seem like they know what they are doing.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
And all these years I blamed my skinny body, D&D fasination and Metallica for remaining a virgin through high school, LoL. Now I see it wasn't my fault I was an unsocialized idiot when talking to females - I was only talking to the girls that listened to the wrong kind of music. :(

I'd hate to agree with that study and say anything like certain music is "bad", but I do have to admit that I am very affected emotionally by music. There is a reason why I listen to powerful music when working out, and softer music to unwind. I can't help myself from dancing to dance music...it's like a drug to me...

And of course I played love songs in my dorm room when in university, and have to admit, cheesy or not - the girls seemed to like it, and were always over. Venus flytrap :) But then again, there were other changes, and I felt I had a lot to make up for all the fun I was missing before, LoL...:icon_lol:

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
And not to side-track the topic, but with regards to studies showing a corrolation between breast augmentation and suicide...I'm sure they can find a significant statistic. I have no studies to back it up, but I also think they'd find a larger amount of pro-suicide people and steriod use than breast surgery. Probably a decent amount with people who use natural supplements - it's all about a "I can change this" personality.

I personally think this is more of a side-effect of personality types that both think and act with more extreme measures than others.

I just hope there aren't the same links between suicide and guys that like fake breasts... :blink:

OMG - I just had the PERFECT idea --> breast implants with Ipod's playing sex music! You know if you find a girl with those, she goes...:twisted:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
FWIW I can see a small correlation between music and behavior..and I mean small. To ignore the underlying predisposition of teens towards sexual activity is missing a big part of the picture iMO. It's like a lot of other stimuli though, much hinges on one's self control.

My friends and I all listened to heavy metal growing up. We did not commit violent acts even though the music pumped us up at times. None of us raged out and tore up a department store or anything like that. No jail time either.

And yes, Pantera does rock.

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
I'm a professional musician, and I make people have emotional responses for a living, so maybe I'm biased.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I'm a professional musician, and I make people have emotional responses for a living, so maybe I'm biased.
And an honest musician as well as a professional one :D

It's as simple as that folks. Music --> (Stuipid People's Brain) --> Action.*

MTV = Youth destruction*

*Yes, I realize you have to be a weak minded fool to be so easily persuaded to change your life (and others), but my view of the average person's intelligence and mental strength are pretty grim.