Pat Arnold gets Jail Time

stindevil

Awards
SAN FRANCISCO -- The rogue chemist who created the previously undetectable steroid dubbed "the clear" was sentenced Friday to three months in prison and three months of home confinement for his role in a widening sports drug scandal.

Patrick Arnold was the last of five defendants convicted of steroid-distribution charges connected to the Burlingame-based Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, a nutritional supplement company federal authorities exposed as a steroid distribution ring for top athletes.

"The behavior reflected here is destructive and damaging to Arnold, damaging to the community and damaging to the nation as a whole," U.S. District Court Judge Susan Illston said. Arnold was ordered to report to prison by Sept. 19.

"I'm very regretful for what I've done and especially since what it has precipitated in sports and society," Arnold said outside court. "I do believe there should be a level playing field and that this whole things needs to be addressed."

Federal prosecutors declined to comment outside court.

Arnold created a steroid in his Illinois laboratory that sports authorities couldn't detect using traditional tests for cheaters.

Arnold and his BALCO co-conspirators were tripped up when track coach Trevor Graham anonymously mailed a syringe containing the clear to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency in June 2003.

Graham is now reportedly a target of the federal steroids investigation and is connected to eight athletes who have either tested positive or were suspended for using performance-enhancing drugs.

The anti-doping agency has now developed a test to detect when athletes have used "the clear."

In April, Arnold pleaded guilty in federal court to one count of conspiracy to distribute steroids.

He was indicted in November on a charge of conspiring with BALCO founder Victor Conte to distribute tetrahydragestrinone, also known as "the clear," a powerful steroid that helped athletes add muscle mass and recover quickly from intense workouts.

"The defendant bears a heavy burden for his key role in effectively polluting professional sports with drugs which were designed to cheat the system," prosecutors said in court papers urging the prison term.

A new grand jury is investigating whether San Francisco Giants outfielder Barry Bonds lied about using "the clear" to the grand jury that investigated the BALCO lab more than two years ago.

The BALCO probe has netted guilty pleas from Conte, Bonds' trainer Greg Anderson, BALCO vice president James Valente and track coach Remi Korchemny.

The scientist was snared after federal agents raided his Champaign, Ill., lab last year.

Arnold was best known for introducing the steroid precursor androstenedione to the United States. Nicknamed "andro," the chemical came to public attention in 1998 when St. Louis Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire said he used it when he broke baseball's single-season home run record.

The indictment against Arnold alleged he trafficked in performance-enhancing drugs that were designed to avoid detection.

According to leaked excerpts of Bonds' testimony reported in the San Francisco Chronicle, Bonds told the BALCO grand jury he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by Anderson. Bonds, the second greatest home run hitter in the major leagues, testified that Anderson informed him the substances were the nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and a rubbing balm for arthritis.

Giants athletic trainer Stan Conte -- no relation to Victor Conte -- Bonds' surgeon Arthur Ting and Anderson have been summoned to testify in front of the grand jury investigating Bonds for perjury and tax evasion.

The same grand jury also reportedly is investigating track coach Graham in connection with steroid distribution to some of the elite athletes he helped train.

The case is United States v. Arnold, 05-00703.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
By the looks of things he has already been very lucky. 90 days is a walk in the park. Any more luck and he'll win inmate of the month.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that's a pretty lean sentence all things considered.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. I thought he'd be away for much longer..

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
I hope this soft sentence motivates him to produce products that're even nicer than 1-ad/4-ad! PA, you go boy.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I hope this soft sentence motivates him to produce products that're even nicer than 1-ad/4-ad! PA, you go boy.

Haha, I think what is happening to him will make him do the exact oposite and not release hormone products. Im guessing he is going to be watched after he is left out.

doom3q

Banned
Awards
He needs to move to the UK where there aren't so many drug-fearing idiots. (prohormones are legal there :) )

ralph4u2c

ralph4u2c

Awards
  • Established
agreed. with all this talk about steroids and cocaine supposely being on the same page now as far as sentencing, 90 days is cake for what he did.

btw, "the clear" aka tetrahydragestrinone sounds like a winner - can we get a clone? juggernaut, generic labz, anyone ? ;)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
No need to take THG - you can find stuff less toxic that will produce equal results.

stindevil

Awards
I think the short sentence term is a reflection of the type of evidence in possession by the department of justice. He was basically charged with conspiracy, which the government can easily prove and win aganist almost anyone. It would have only required an e-mail reocrd b/w the two regarding the clear or THG.

Also, he allegedly did this in 2002 or 2003. So the new and stricter laws on steroid were are applicable to him. However, even under the new law he would have only faced b/w 6 to 12 months.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
"The defendant bears a heavy burden for his key role in effectively polluting professional sports with drugs which were designed to cheat the system," prosecutors said in court papers urging the prison term.
Yup, knocking the person in this "key role" out of the business will do a lot to reduce the use of steroids in sports I'm sure. The burden is his.

And now I have to wonder how in the name of God anyone can be stupid enough to believe that.

stindevil

Awards
Yup, knocking the person in this "key role" out of the business will do a lot to reduce the use of steroids in sports I'm sure. The burden is his.

And now I have to wonder how in the name of God anyone can be stupid enough to believe that.

Well, as with all prosecution, there is an element of politics here. Arnold is a big name tied to a bigger story. The prosecutor can ramble on about this and get a good name for himself.

In todays society, steroids are frowned upon. If the media even suspects steroid use, then the athlete might as well be a baby killer. Rational discussion and debate is tossed aside while the media finds someone to destory so they in turn feel better about themselves.

This most frustrating thing is that the media is so clueless about steroids. Take for instance the current situation with Landis. Yes, test is a steroid and it appears he tested positive for it. However, what benefit does a cyclist devire from test. Wouldn't he rather take EPO or something else instead of a mass builder? Hasn't the lab been out ot get an American since we keep winning their race year after year? The media doesn't ask such questions because that do not have the knowledge to do so. This, perhaps, derives from the fact they were not athletes and the dorks we beat up in gym class. They simply want to ruin him and go onto the next scandal.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I've been trying explain the Landis situation to a coworker. It is frustrating, and the guy may have been an idiot and indeed did use test. Maybe he wanted more red blood cells for increased oxygen use? Possible, who knows if it'd work. Still most people just believe the **** they're told and it amazes me how many people are willing to simply step aside and let the government get away with blatant idiocy, especially people who should know better as a matter of the profession they are in.

Well, as with all prosecution, there is an element of politics here. Arnold is a big name tied to a bigger story. The prosecutor can ramble on about this and get a good name for himself.

In todays society, steroids are frowned upon. If the media even suspects steroid use, then the athlete might as well be a baby killer. Rational discussion and debate is tossed aside while the media finds someone to destory so they in turn feel better about themselves.

This most frustrating thing is that the media is so clueless about steroids. Take for instance the current situation with Landis. Yes, test is a steroid and it appears he tested positive for it. However, what benefit does a cyclist devire from test. Wouldn't he rather take EPO or something else instead of a mass builder? Hasn't the lab been out ot get an American since we keep winning their race year after year? The media doesn't ask such questions because that do not have the knowledge to do so. This, perhaps, derives from the fact they were not athletes and the dorks we beat up in gym class. They simply want to ruin him and go onto the next scandal.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
It's too bad that the powers that be are more concerned with performance enhancers than they are with the real prblems we are facing. What's next, will the 2007 spelling bee champion be asked to pee in a cup following their victory?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
It's too bad that the powers that be are more concerned with performance enhancers than they are with the real prblems we are facing. What's next, will the 2007 spelling bee champion be asked to pee in a cup following their victory?
I some soccer mom gets a hold of some nootropics, yes.

800mrunner

Banned
Awards
THG is quiet toxic, but yet a very cool steroid. although, there's better out there.