Why We're Fatter

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya! But I might try to get more sleep.....maybe I'll go take a nap.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Thinking of it now the lowest bf% I've had in recent times was when I was spending a lot of my spare time napping in a hot room.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Thinking of it now the lowest bf% I've had in recent times was when I was spending a lot of my spare time napping in a hot room.
Confirmation! I'm installing a sauna with a rubber bed. I'll either lose weight or get a great reputation as kinky mother****er.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I can relate to the smoking sessation weight gain. Took me 2 years to drop the 25-30 lbs. I put on in a little over a month after quitting. My weight has remained on a bit of a yo-yo pattern since, and I never completely got rid of some of the "trouble spots" (lower chest fat & love handles). Now going on 4 years smoke free, except an occasional cigar.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dunno about you but I know why i'm fat. it's because i'm so ****in sexy that it refuses to leave. That's why it's all in the abs and love handles because it's slowly trying to get to me twigg and berries

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I practically live in a meat locker....so all the shivering may be keeping me lean.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
When a large pizza is only $5 and a salad is $4.32... which do you think the average american will get?

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
:pizza: Oh man it's almost 9pm and you had to bring up pizza!
I can definitely relate to the sleep part, when I don't get enough sleep I normally tend to eat more to try and compensate by adding extra energy. Well it seems like that anyway, we need to shorten the work day by an hour so we can get an extra hour of sleep!

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
The critical question is why some young people thin down while others do not.

I don't have an answer, but I do have an impression. It's that adolescents who lose weight are more likely to have acquired a positive sense of themselves, because they've had some academic or athletic success, or some other notable accomplishment. Sometimes they have embarked on a successful romantic relationship. And often parents and other adults in their life focus on their strengths rather than harping on weight and appearance.
This part is particularly interesting to me just b/c it is the complete opposite of what I went through. I was overweight and couldn't perform at the level of my teammates so I needed to drop weight to keep up w/ them.

Interesting.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
A mid work day ciesta would be an awesome thing - longer work day but I miss my college mid day naps.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I agree with them but they never mentioned stress, in our society today we are expected to cram a hell of alot more into a day then what was once expected, anti-anxiety and anti-depressant use are at an all time high because of this. Stress will cause weight gain from the increased cortisol levels and lack of sleep. Also portion size, it isn't AS bad in Canada but when i go to the US the portions are HUGEEEE, portion size, the use of corn syrup and how ridiculously refined foods are nowadays. Also with computers, flat screen tvs, dvd players, mp3 players, x-box's kids nowadays aren't NEARLY as active as they were even 10 years ago.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I agree with them but they never mentioned stress, in our society today we are expected to cram a hell of alot more into a day then what was once expected, anti-anxiety and anti-depressant use are at an all time high because of this. Stress will cause weight gain from the increased cortisol levels and lack of sleep. Also portion size, it isn't AS bad in Canada but when i go to the US the portions are HUGEEEE, portion size, the use of corn syrup and how ridiculously refined foods are nowadays. Also with computers, flat screen tvs, dvd players, mp3 players, x-box's kids nowadays aren't NEARLY as active as they were even 10 years ago.
:goodpost: So True.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
When a large pizza is only $5 and a salad is $4.32... which do you think the average american will get?
true but really do you think the salid is that much of a better option? most salids as americans eat them have lots of chease, salid dressing, cruetons, and garlic bread. Damn good eating but if you look at it terms of were your getting your % of calories from the pizza might actually be better for you.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I agree Skye alot of ppl will order salads at places like McDonalds and they have more fat in them then a big Mac! lol

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I agree Skye alot of ppl will order salads at places like McDonalds and they have more fat in them then a big Mac! lol

I've yet to see a salad with more fat than a BM.....nor one as tasty...:twisted:

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
McDonalds has salads that have more fat then a big mac as does Taco bell!

Achilles13

Awards
  • Established
true but really do you think the salid is that much of a better option? most salids as americans eat them have lots of chease, salid dressing, cruetons, and garlic bread. Damn good eating but if you look at it terms of were your getting your % of calories from the pizza might actually be better for you.

True, but if you get a salad from Mickey D's, they hardly give you anything on it. Plus with the salad dressing, the person consuming the salad determines how much dressing gets on the salad. The $5 dollar pizza on the other hand has the white bread, sause, cheese, fried pepporoni(sp), or sausage. IMO the salad would be better for you.

Achilles13

Awards
  • Established
McDonalds has salads that have more fat then a big mac as does Taco bell!
Damn the McDonalds where you guys live must be nice. The ones here don't put sh** on their salads.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Dont forget with the lack of sleep comes fatigue and most people combat that with coffee, a tim hortons or starbucks on both of every corner. english toffee, caramel latte, chocolate espresso....calories. Subliminal advertising, increased access to fast food, schools teaching less and less about health and how to eat well, no more family dinners (provided one good meal usually), More time on the go, eating bad makes it easier to eat bad. 50 years ago fatties didnt eat two burgers then down effedrine, its like now you can make up for it (not so), with energy drinks, miracle pills ( fat loss) and cholesterol meds. less exposure to the sun, and two income homes where noone is at home making healthy meals and more is expected to keep a clean functional home.
Increases in sedintary hobbies like poker i think it all adds up. and dont forget we constantly strive to make life easier with every new time saving device we crawl slowly towards a fat weak but some how superior existance.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
True, but if you get a salad from Mickey D's, they hardly give you anything on it. Plus with the salad dressing, the person consuming the salad determines how much dressing gets on the salad. The $5 dollar pizza on the other hand has the white bread, sause, cheese, fried pepporoni(sp), or sausage. IMO the salad would be better for you.
I don't know about the salad from McDonalds so I can't say but I know what the chief’s salad contains at the local pizza place and that is probably not the same. You are taking that out of context anyways, what I said was A. most Americans, and B. as a % of calories.

For instance pizza hut 14" Pepperoni Pizza with a regular crust is 290 calories a slice of which 48 calories are from protein, 132 calories from carbs 109 calories from fat. That gives you a ratio of 17/45/38. That is pretty bad but take a look at Papa Murphy's individual club salad with a ratio of 29/06/65. That is not a whole lot better. A typical Ceasar salad is around 11/26/63. But even these are not realistic; most people use far more salad dressing then the amounts they like to advertise. There is 73 calories of which 68 are from fat in 1 Table spoon of ranch dressing.( that is a single serving, nobody uses a single tablespoon) It has a ratio of 1/5/94. Consider that most people will use up to half a cup or ranch dressing for a large chief’s salad (the big type you order for dinner at a real restaurant). That is 584 calories and 544 fat calories before anything else. A lot of the other places due do better but the point here is that fast food or most restaurant food should be considered a cheat days worth of food. Note that I didn't include the other items, garlic bread and such.

BTW a big mac is 590 calories with a ratio of 16/32/52 and a McDonald's Caesar Salad is 90 calories with a ratio of 30/32/38. McDonald's Bacon Ranch salad is 140 calories with 25/12/63 ratio. Their Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad is actually 210 calories with 49/18/33 ratio. So if you eat the salad as advertised (I doubt this, they must include a single “serving” of dressing) they are not that bad if you chose the right ones. and I am guessing that they are pretty damn small from the sound of them.

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
THAT is a valid point.but imo it just shows how messed up this country is.the healthy foods are more rare and higher priced while u can get fattening,heart attack/cancer causing junk food for a few cents per bite.things are assssss backwards!
transition needs to be made.the majority start DEMANDING fresh fruits and veggies and leaner healthier alternatives to the current mainstream junk food.the demand and volume will switch the costs.health food will be cheap as dirt due t ovolume while the junkfood will be sky high.id love to see a mcdonalds hamburger cost 20 bucks vs .99 cents lol
fast food shouldnt exist imo.one of the banes of modern society right up there with cigarettes and alcohol

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
and did u guys see those other linked articles?one something like 'i caught my hubby masturbating shoud i be worried?' hahaha

and the other one.'pot doesnt lead to heroid use'?wtf ?
lets just say i have been pro cannabis for over a decade.and have never been anything but against and disgusted by even the thought of H.even when offered straight to my face.gross
the correlations some ppl make crack me up

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I dunno about you but I know why i'm fat. it's because i'm so ****in sexy that it refuses to leave. That's why it's all in the abs and love handles because it's slowly trying to get to me twigg and berries

I am in awe as to what to say about that... but dang I'm going to have to start using that line

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
hear it is, this is something that pisses me off everytime I hear it. I hate seeing little fat kids. We now live in a lazy world where parents let there kids sit at home and play playstation instead of going outside. Kids need to be creative. My parents made us play outside and we always had something to do, and it usualy invloved exercise. Adults are now fat because they are simply lazy. it has nothiong to do with sleep or anthing like that. All these goddamn diets that the world has created are simply a joke. How about just eating healthy and exercising. Parents need to take a look in the mirror and reases the way they take care of themselves and their children.