B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Steroid grandfather still physically and mentally muscular

Jul. 9, 2006 12:00 AM

Fifteen years ago, the police who raided his house called Robert Clapp the ''Grandfather of Steroids.'' He's 70 now, still physically and mentally muscular. Still waiting for someone to look at the ''other side'' of the steroid issue.

I met Robert Clapp in the summer of 1991, a few days after a task force of federal, state and local police busted down the door of his Paradise Valley home and hauled him off in cuffs. They may have needed to use two pairs, owing to the size of Clapp's arms and chest.

Back then, he was dubbed the "Grandfather of Steroids" and was the biggest fish to be netted in a high-profile investigation that authorities called "Operation 'Roid Raid."

Clapp was 57 years old at the time and readily admitted to having used steroids for over 30 years. The former schoolteacher didn't operate from some dark alley like a crack dealer. For the most part, he was out in the open about being on "the juice."
advertisement

As a result of the big bust, Clapp accepted a plea bargain from prosecutors for 27 months in federal prison. Primarily, he said, because the feds threatened to put his wife in jail on a tax charge if he didn't.

In '91 he told me, "I'm hoping people might just look at me and say, 'Here's a man who has taken anabolic steroids for 33 years and look at him.' From what you hear, I should have been dead at 40. But I'm not. I've put anabolic steroids into my body for over 30 years. I'm not violent. I've got children and grandchildren. All the parts of my body work."

Fifteen years ago, I remember thinking, "This guy could tear me limb from limb."

Well, things have changed.

Clapp is an even older grandfather now. And I'd have to say, "This guy could tear me limb from limb . . . with one hand."

But that wouldn't happen, because as Clapp points out, he has never had what some call a " 'roid rage."

"Unfortunately," he said, "all that we've done is to demonize steroids. It's tragic."

Earlier this month, one of the foremost experts on steroids, Penn State Professor Charles Yesalis, told an interviewer, "It's a shame to say, but we have no idea (about possible long-term effects of steroids.) There have been long-term studies done on alcohol and a variety of drugs like marijuana and heroin but never on steroids."

"We're out there," Clapp said. "There are guys like me who became involved in steroid use in the 1950s and '60s. And we're still here. There are quite a few of us. If researchers really wanted to study this they could. But we've put such a cloud over the issue that it becomes impossible for anyone to step forward and say that there is another side to the story."

Clapp has come to take a philosophical view on the subject. It's not so much about steroids anymore, he said, but about what he calls "body sovereignty."

"It's hard for me to agree that anyone should have control over our bodies," he said. "And things are changing. Steroids are being used. We just use different terms like 'hormone replacement therapy.' It takes time to change people's minds."

In the meantime, he enjoys his family. He follows the football careers of his grandsons. And he finds the steroid scandal in baseball amusing. He said that while Barry Bonds is made the personification of a cheater, others are given free rides. By way of example he points to one of the most famous home runs in baseball history. It was struck in the 1988 World Series by Kirk Gibson of the Dodgers, who received a cortisone shot before the game.

"Another steroid," Clapp said.

Last week, researchers in Australia released a study suggesting that anabolic steroids help older people recover from joint replacement surgery. This, too, makes Clapp chuckle. After more than 40 years on "the juice," his joints are doing fine.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
4.5 or so this time around :)

I believe this is a recent pic of Clapp

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks like hes still usin! lol

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
Damn, hate when a 70 year old looks better than me :(

40 years on the juice has done wonders for this dude.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i believe they did an interview with bob clap in the news reel (the one with john ramano and the douchebag fat doctor) that has been floating around on here. he doesnt look quite like that in the reel but let me tell you he was by all means still truckin.

ah, what i have been saying all along "body sovereignty". no one should be able to tell you what to do with your own flesh and blood. if you dont have control of your own body...what do you have control of?

B4n3 0n3

Roids should be administerd to everybody like vaccines it would help the elderly stay young instead of being demonized the way they are(I am watching the Astro, Cardnal game and I just saw an anti roid add). Another group of people they should give roids to are people with phsycological problems it seems the roids are good for peoples minds as well as bodies.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Maybe there should be a legal age of use for steroids...say oh about 40, yeah that seems right. This way mature adults can continue to lead productive lives well into their 70s. The HRT programs are already inplace by prescription, it seems like a simple logical 2nd step to make such useful chemical more readily availible
to the general public. Especially, now that the work force is getting older. The pro athletes are leading the way in this quantum shift of human physical acheivement. I envision a future where we look back in amazment at all the fuss about steroids being used as a healthy supplement,...looking back, totally ripped at 70. One of my bigger bodybuilding inspirations was Albert Beckles, who was in his 50's when he place third in the Olympia(haney,gaspari) It really opened my mind to the concept of human physical decay.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Maybe there should be a legal age of use for steroids...say oh about 40, yeah that seems right. This way mature adults can continue to lead productive lives well into their 70s. The HRT programs are already inplace by prescription, it seems like a simple logical 2nd step to make such useful chemical more readily availible
to the general public. Especially, now that the work force is getting older. The pro athletes are leading the way in this quantum shift of human physical acheivement. I envision a future where we look back in amazment at all the fuss about steroids being used as a healthy supplement,...looking back, totally ripped at 70. One of my bigger bodybuilding inspirations was Albert Beckles, who was in his 50's when he place third in the Olympia(haney,gaspari) It really opened my mind to the concept of human physical decay.
If 40 year olds and up were the only one's getting it they'd kick our asses for sure.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Like anything else if used repsonsibly can help achieve better health and fitness. But to play devils advocate there are a lot of users that have no clue about what they are putting into there bodies. Most aren't educated or read up like members here.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Like anything else if used repsonsibly can help achieve better health and fitness. But to play devils advocate there are a lot of users that have no clue about what they are putting into there bodies. Most aren't educated or read up like members here.
part of the problem is that steroids are demonized to the point where legit information about them is hard to find. if it were legal for an individual to give himself a "hormone therapy" there would be much more information by proffessionals available to the general public. not simply "if you take steroids your heart tits and liver will explode".

i am under the impression that in the 70's and 80's you simply had to talk to your doctor about a prescription for steroids. i highly doubt a doctor would be inclined to write a script if its was some 15 year old kid who didnt know the difference between cell tech and anadrol.

Speedbacker

Awards
His son played for us last year. I remember seeing him with this old jacked guy after the spring game and now that I look back at it, this was the guy.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yes it was clapp on Reel Sports, and it sad that steroids have gotten such a bad rap, and its soooooo hard to erase the ignorance from people. I let my wife as well as others watch the reel sports clip, and all they could say was long term usuage, and its unknown effects, and how its still dangerous. Its sad to be scared of something you KNOW nothing about. Yet its ok to take birth control (steroid), cortisone shots to reduce acne (steroid) botox for less wrinkles (a bacteria) and now the noveau riche sweet 16 gift plastic surgery :wtf:
The socal ills of the good ol US of A

Last edited:
Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Yes it was clapp on Reel Sports, and it sad that steroids have gotten suchj a bad rap, and its soooooo hard to erase the ignorance from people. I let my wife as well as others watch the reel sports clip, and all they could say was long term usuage, and its unknown effects, and how its still dangerous. Its sad to be scared of something you KNOW nothing about. Yet its ok to take birth control (steroid), cortisone shots to reduce acne (steroid) botox for less wrinkles (a bacteria) and now the noveau riche sweet 16 gift plastic surgery :wtf:
The socal ills of the good ol US of A
:goodpost: very well put