Earth Hottest Its Been In 400 Years

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Study finds strong warming tie to hurricanes
Half of Atlantic temperature increase in 2005 linked to global rise
Hurricane Katrina, seen in this satellite-based visualization as it approached the Gulf Coast last August, was one of 28 named storms in the record 2005 Atlantic hurricane season.
View related photos
NOAA via AFP/Getty Images

Global warming accounted for about half of the extra hurricane-fueling warmth in Atlantic waters off the United States in 2005, while natural cycles were smaller factors, according to a study released Thursday by the National Center for Atmospheric Research.

"The global warming influence provides a new background level that increases the risk of future enhancements in hurricane activity," co-author Kevin Trenberth wrote in the study.

A statement issued by the center said that the study "contradicts recent claims that natural cycles are responsible for the upturn in Atlantic hurricane activity since 1995. It also adds support to the premise that hurricane seasons will become more active as global temperatures rise."

While researchers agree that the warming waters fuel hurricane intensity, they have been uncertain whether Atlantic waters have warmed because of a natural, decades-long cycle, or because of longer-term global warming.

The study found that during much of last year's hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to Nov. 30, sea-surface temperatures in Atlantic waters where many hurricanes form were a record 1.7 degrees F above the 1901-1970 average.

Comparing the Atlantic data to worldwide data since the early 20th century, the researchers calculated that global warming explained about 0.8 degrees of this rise.

The 2004-05 El Nino ocean cycle accounted for about 0.4 degrees, they calculated, while the 60-80 year natural cycle was thought to explain less than 0.2 degrees of the increase, according to Trenberth. The remainder is due to year-to-year variability in temperatures.

The center said the researchers "subtracted the global trend from the irregular Atlantic temperatures — in effect, separating global warming from the Atlantic natural cycle."

The results show that the 60-80 year natural cycle "is actually much weaker now than it was in the 1950s, when Atlantic hurricanes were also quite active," the center said.

The researchers stressed that global warming does not guarantee that each year will set records for hurricanes, noting that last year's record was due also to upper-level winds that contributed to hurricane formation.

The study by Trenberth and colleague Dennis Shea will appear in the June 27 issue of Geophysical Research Letters, published by the American Geophysical Union.

The National Center for Atmospheric Research is primarily sponsored by a consortium of universities and the National Science Foundation.

Panel: Earth warmest in 400 years - Environment - MSNBC.com

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Im not complaining. Winter here was the mildest we ever had:D

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Peer reviewed studies have also appeared in that journal (Wilson, '03 or so) showing solar output increaing on a regular basis, a possible trend that if it extends back further than measured in the study would account for a significant amount of the warming people often say is the result of human activity.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's due to the massive amount of weed being smoked...

*points at CDB and runs*

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
It's due to the massive amount of weed being smoked...

*points at CDB and runs*
:toofunny: :clap2:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jayhawkk again.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Peer reviewed studies have also appeared in that journal (Wilson, '03 or so) showing solar output increaing on a regular basis, a possible trend that if it extends back further than measured in the study would account for a significant amount of the warming people often say is the result of human activity.
Honestly, I think a small part may be due to human activity...but the Earth has gone through massive fluctuations in climate over the past few billion years so I dont see how a slight rise in average temperatures should cause everyone to start screaming and yelling.

Some of my favorite movies are the 'Walking with...' series from the Discovery Channel. On one of the DVD's , "Walking With Monsters, Before The Dinosaurs", they talk about a warming shift on the planet where increased volcanic activity causes a massive drought that wiped out 95% of all life on the planet. Now that's serious:) Palm trees in NY, I wont complain:D

BV

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I live in Ontario, Canada and our winters are getting so mild it's nuts, i remember when i was like 11 or 12 freezing my balls off now you can go with a light sweater if you wanted, plus our summer this year is going to be hot as hell.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah Im in central NY, and we barely had any snow on the ground at all this winter.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Well i'm really used to the cold as it is growing up in Canada, like i'd barely wear a winter jacket as it was but now the winters are getting too warm for my liking, i actually like the cold. But i'm soooooooooo used to the cold that when my brother and i were in Dominican it was almost unbearable at times, i'd have sweat just poring down my face and arms when i was just sitting there, lol.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, after winter the first few weeks of really hot weather are rough. I like Florida though, go figure.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I love Florida but Dominican was unsually hot when i went, so it was the humidity that killed me, i can take dry heat just not the wet stuff, i get migraines and feel like ****.

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What is funny is, this kind of stuff always comes up in the news, IN THE SUMMER! You don't hear 'scientists' and 'experts' talk about global warming or earth heating up, in January! :D :D

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i personally think you guys take this way too lightly....

this is my opinion, and everyone has there own. some believe its not tied to what humans have done in the past 200 years, but....you really have to think about it....

it took the earth millions of years to grow the rainforests' and other natural habbitats, and in 100 years lots has been done. more buildings are going up more trees are being cut down more animals are dying off...all for money by the way.... and we dont know how long we can go before something HAS to be done. this is all coming from a NON TREE HUGGER point of view too. i just "try" and look at the big picture... i hope someone feels as i do on this matter.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
400runner i couldn't agree more something must be done.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established

this is my opinion, and everyone has there own. some believe its not tied to what humans have done in the past 200 years, but....you really have to think about it....

it took the earth millions of years to grow the rainforests' and other natural habbitats, and in 100 years lots has been done. more buildings are going up more trees are being cut down more animals are dying off...all for money by the way.... and we dont know how long we can go before something HAS to be done. this is all coming from a NON TREE HUGGER point of view too. i just "try" and look at the big picture... i hope someone feels as i do on this matter.
In the big picture the Sahara was once lush and green, massive portions of the US were under a shallow sea, and grass as we know it is a recent phenomena. Somehow with all these massive changes the world didn't end. The big picture is that the Earth has gone through thousands upon thousands upon thousands of massive climate shifts well before SUVs and styrofoam were a part of every day life, and well before humans decided to anything with fossil fuels, hell well before humans existed.

The big picture also is that as long as humans have existed there have always been people claiming the world is going to end, starve, get too hot, get too cold, stay too mild, get too wet, get too dry or any other of a number of possible things unless the rest of the world let the privileged enlightened minority run their lives. Be it for moral or environmental reasons people have been claiming man has been destroying the Earth since man knew there was an Earth. Every. Single. Time. They. Were. Wrong. And every single time there was at least some of the population that was, I have to say it, stupid enough to believe them. Perhaps I'd have an easier time grabbing hold of global warming theories if they weren't propounded by people with demonstrable political agendas that were so far to the left they made Marx look like Menken. People with, incidentally a massive ignorance of economics and often times science as well.

Take this for example: if the weather doesn't change, it's due to global warming, as there are forecasts by its proponents which show gradual to no change followed by cataclism. If it gets too cold it's due to global warming, because there are forecasts by its proponents which show a world growing colder due to various problems caused by heating. If it gets too hot it's due to global warming, because there are forecasts by its proponents that show a world gradually to quickly heatin up until we're anothe Venus. So no matter what happens it's due to global warming. Gee, ain't that convenient; everything is evidence for global warming. Makes the 'theory' conveniently hard to falsify. And we'll forget for the moment that the computer models these geniuses use to forecast these weather trends are about as usefull as one sock with a hole in it.

If the Earth is getting warmer the chances that we have anything to do with it are near nil or at the very least far from being proven. If the Earth is getting warmer and we are partly responsible the solutions are so far from what's being recommended it makes no sense to listen to the environmentalists anyway.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
In the big picture the Sahara was once lush and green, massive portions of the US were under a shallow sea, and grass as we know it is a recent phenomena. Somehow with all these massive changes the world didn't end. The big picture is that the Earth has gone through thousands upon thousands upon thousands of massive climate shifts well before SUVs and styrofoam were a part of every day life, and well before humans decided to anything with fossil fuels, hell well before humans existed.

The big picture also is that as long as humans have existed there have always been people claiming the world is going to end, starve, get too hot, get too cold, stay too mild, get too wet, get too dry or any other of a number of possible things unless the rest of the world let the privileged enlightened minority run their lives. Be it for moral or environmental reasons people have been claiming man has been destroying the Earth since man knew there was an Earth. Every. Single. Time. They. Were. Wrong. And every single time there was at least some of the population that was, I have to say it, stupid enough to believe them. Perhaps I'd have an easier time grabbing hold of global warming theories if they weren't propounded by people with demonstrable political agendas that were so far to the left they made Marx look like Menken. People with, incidentally a massive ignorance of economics and often times science as well.

Take this for example: if the weather doesn't change, it's due to global warming, as there are forecasts by its proponents which show gradual to no change followed by cataclism. If it gets too cold it's due to global warming, because there are forecasts by its proponents which show a world growing colder due to various problems caused by heating. If it gets too hot it's due to global warming, because there are forecasts by its proponents that show a world gradually to quickly heatin up until we're anothe Venus. So no matter what happens it's due to global warming. Gee, ain't that convenient; everything is evidence for global warming. Makes the 'theory' conveniently hard to falsify. And we'll forget for the moment that the computer models these geniuses use to forecast these weather trends are about as usefull as one sock with a hole in it.

If the Earth is getting warmer the chances that we have anything to do with it are near nil or at the very least far from being proven. If the Earth is getting warmer and we are partly responsible the solutions are so far from what's being recommended it makes no sense to listen to the environmentalists anyway.
:goodpost:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
One fine day in the year 156 A.D., in Phrygia (now part of Turkey), the prophet Montanus suddenly reeled round and round and keeled over into a trance in which he envisioned Christ's second coming and the end of the world. Thenceforward, Montanus roamed the dusty paths of Asia Minor, proclaiming to all who would listen that doomsday lay just 'round the bend. Montanus gathered many disciples, among whom was one Quintus Septimus Florens Tertullianus, Tertullian, who went on to become a champion of Monantism and a dynamic intellectual force and teacher in the early Christian church. At the core of Tertullian's teachings lay his bitter admonition that life in the 2nd century had become "too extravagant, too wasteful," and that "population growth had run out of control." "Mankind was raping the Earth of its resources", Tertullian warned grimly. "[W]e men have actually become a burden to the Earth ... the Earth can no longer support us..." And, to escape total planetary destruction, mankind had to withdraw to the past and practice severe asceticism, living in a simpler more natural state.
Just a sample of how far back this crap goes. I'm sure if we could translate cave drawings we'd find evidence that some shamman used a solar eclipse as an excuse to scare the rest of his tribe to death and exact some kind of tax to make things better for them.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Exactly. I'm not worried about the Earth, the Earth will be fine. Humans, maybe not:)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Exactly. I'm not worried about the Earth, the Earth will be fine. Humans, maybe not:)
We can only hope. Personally, while I don't bear any ill will towards many if any people, I wouldn't mind seeing a good 90% of the population getting snuffed. Start over, from scratch, pick up the toys that have been left behind and run with it, see what happens.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
:icon_lol:
We can only hope. Personally, while I don't bear any ill will towards many if any people, I wouldn't mind seeing a good 90% of the population getting snuffed. Start over, from scratch, pick up the toys that have been left behind and run with it, see what happens.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I`ve been reading about the Indus Valley culture which existed several 1000 years or so ago.
A possible natural reason for the IVC's decline is connected with climate change: The Indus valley climate grew significantly cooler and drier from about 1800 BCE. A crucial factor may have been the disappearance of substantial portions of the Ghaggar Hakra river system. A tectonic event may have diverted the system's sources toward the Ganges Plain, though there is some uncertainty about the date of this event. Although this particular factor is speculative, and not generally accepted, the decline of the IVC, as with any other civilization, will have been due to a combination of various reasons.
So it`s not like something new is going on.

The Paper Route

The Paper Route

Awards
Well we are at 10:36 am on the suns life cycle. We wont live past noon on that clock as it will be to hot. The sun was born 6:00am and will die at 6:00pm

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I`ve been reading about the Indus Valley culture which existed several 1000 years or so ago.

So it`s not like something new is going on.
The climate change causes a drop in available food and the civilization dies. Answer, allow modern economies to develop to alleviate scarcity, which is the whole point of economic exchange, and this will not be a problem.

tomall2

Awards
If global warming doesn't kill us, I guess the terrorists will. Just wake me when it's over.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
The climate change causes a drop in available food and the civilization dies. Answer, allow modern economies to develop to alleviate scarcity, which is the whole point of economic exchange, and this will not be a problem.

Always the Economist... :icon_lol:

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i seriously think people are so damn stubborn sometimes...everyone thinks their right about a situation. (not talking about this one by the way) but thats why or could be why there is war. thats why "there is not one God" to some, "there's many" and if you say differently your damn wrong, and your going to hell.

but in my thoughts, if one were to have a large scale "bio-dome" and one were to live there, and all of a sudden a large amount of carbon-dioxide or waste were released...at a much faster rate than ever before there could be problems. the earth is like a large green house and everything works together. a few things can be messed up and the system can still function properly, but if too many pices of the puzzle are missing or "killed off" then more problems could happen. of course thats why things adapt. and then theres the problem of the predicted 9billion people supposed to be on the earth in the next 20 years. that will stress the earth's soils and we will end up cutting more stuff down to grow more and then cause more of a problem in the natural flow of everything.

now, whats the next thing i can get rich off of? enough talk about this natural shiite.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
i seriously think people are so damn stubborn sometimes...everyone thinks their right about a situation. (not talking about this one by the way) but thats why or could be why there is war. thats why "there is not one God" to some, "there's many" and if you say differently your damn wrong, and your going to hell.

but in my thoughts, if one were to have a large scale "bio-dome" and one were to live there, and all of a sudden a large amount of carbon-dioxide or waste were released...at a much faster rate than ever before there could be problems. the earth is like a large green house and everything works together. a few things can be messed up and the system can still function properly, but if too many pices of the puzzle are missing or "killed off" then more problems could happen. of course thats why things adapt. and then theres the problem of the predicted 9billion people supposed to be on the earth in the next 20 years. that will stress the earth's soils and we will end up cutting more stuff down to grow more and then cause more of a problem in the natural flow of everything.

now, whats the next thing i can get rich off of? enough talk about this natural shiite.
The earth is always seeking a state of homeostasis, pretty much like all life...if we dump to much crap into the atmosphere, the weather patterns go postal and we all die, earth goes back to normal and the Rhinoceros can take its rightful throne as the dominant species on the planet.:D

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Where in CNY? I live in Syracuse.
Albany...used to live in Utica though! That's only a short drive from Syracuse.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Myself and the rest of my Honors Biology class had to do a symposium on Global Warming at the end of this past semester. I'm now thorougly convinced that it is an entirely political matter. I use to think it was just "exaggerated", but now I'm convinced its entirely political. Hell, after Michael Chricton wrote "State of Fear", which was primarily written about global warming, Government sites (NASA was one) removed certain statistics from their sites because they contradicted the global warming position. Hell, it was funny because the entire Honors class came to teh same conclusions based off of independent research...we all believe its totally political.

I'm so sick of this debate and the entire environmentalist movement I can't even express it.

Last edited:
kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The earth is always seeking a state of homeostasis, pretty much like all life...if we dump to much crap into the atmosphere, the weather patterns go postal and we all die, earth goes back to normal and the Rhinoceros can take its rightful throne as the dominant species on the planet.:D

BV
Earth has never been in homeostasis. Its been constantly changing for its entire 4.5 billion year existence.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established

If you want to consider bigtime territory destruction, etc, consider what the native americans use to do so that they could yield a higher level of bison births. they would set fire to the US' forests and nearly burn the things down so there was more room for bison to roam. After we stopped all of this and decided to "preserve" our "national forests" we completely destroyed the existing ecosystems almost making entire animal populations extinct.

Increased CO2 production over the past 100 years has not been correlated with an increase in global temperature. Look up the raw data figures for the past 150 years. In addition, increased CO2 production will only increase crop yields, possibly benifiting man-kind.

Notice a pattern on global temperature and CO2 here over the past half million years?
Image:Vostok-ice-core-petit.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

;)

edit: Then on to this stuff about people hypothesizing weather patterns and disasters etc. ROFLMAO! we cannot accurately predict weather even a couple of weeks in advance! Hw on earth can some of these people say we're going to see X or Y happen with 100% conviction when we don't have the knowledge to understand and especially predict weather in teh first place?

Last edited:
anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established

BV
You can color me -IN on this theory!

I am a warm blooded mammal living in NYC. If global warming means 50 degree winters in NYC, then I think I can party with you guys a little bit longer.

The ability to adapt to changes in the enviroment is what makes human beings a dominant species, The flexible brain and handy opposable thumb is a one -two punch that has no equal.
Animals and Baterium all perish with slight biosphere changes( plants and fungus do a little better)
Even super computers are easily frustrated by changing variables
Lets enjoy our global dominace, shall we then? Especially after all this "my god is better than your god" stuff settles down!
Three cheers for the human race!"...we're number one!!!

...although, if the roaches can learn to access the internet...???

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
with the atmosphere thinning could that be the cause also for the increase in temp? im not a scientist so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

well i noticed that when i was younger i could stay in the sun all day without sunblock and not get burned but this past weekend i played in an outdoor b-ball tourney and im burnt like a lobster! so UV rays are on the rise....the sun is getting hotter?:think:

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Albany...used to live in Utica though! That's only a short drive from Syracuse.
Yeah, my ex was from the Utica/Rome area. Some good Italian food out there. Plus there's the casino...

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
i would say your body is just getting older and cannot take as much as it once has...

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established

Regarding the population 'problem' you have to keep in mind this is one of the main things these people have been riding for centuries now. All their predictions have been wrong. Paul Ehrlich, one of the leftist darlings on these issues, predicted by now we'd be rationing food to avoid mass starvation. In reality we have so much food that's so ridiculously cheap it's amazing people are still going hungry. And in fact they are going hungry but only in countries that have adopted the policies of rationing and strict government control of the economy that people like Ehrlic advocate.

EEMain laughs and it's worth a laugh, but in the end it all does come down to economics. The free market alleviates scarcity like no other force on Earth, it turns scarcity into abundance by tying the alleviation of scarcity to the general profit of man. And it is a crucial point that people who advocate the most popular 'solutions' to our environmental 'problems' usually haven't got the slightest idea how a market works. They often do the opposite of what's necessary to solve their supposed problem. I've given up thinking this is due to ignorance on their part though, and believe it stems from a desire to control others, plain and simple.

You live long enough and you study the trends and you start to see patterns, and the one pattern these people all follow is that socialism is the way to go, no matter the issue at hand, and they should be in charge. For a while the problem was global cooling, and the answer was socialism. Now it's global warming, and the answer is socialism. For a while people were proclaiming we were living in a post scarcity world, therefore we should adopt socialism. Then after the oil crisis hit they started claiming we were living on the verge of a mass scarcity world, therefore we should adopt socialism.

Socialism as a communal way of living doesn't exist, in practical reality it ends up in the rule of the many by the few, the attempted top down, centralized direction of markets which can only function if a decentralized bottom up fashion, and the eventual collapse of those markets. There is one answer to scarcity of anything, be it food, water, clean air or a river to swim in: allow property rights in those commodities and thus allow someone to tie their profit to the productive increase in the supply of those things. If there is a problem with the world the only way out of it is freedom, not slavery.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
with the atmosphere thinning could that be the cause also for the increase in temp? im not a scientist so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

well i noticed that when i was younger i could stay in the sun all day without sunblock and not get burned but this past weekend i played in an outdoor b-ball tourney and im burnt like a lobster! so UV rays are on the rise....the sun is getting hotter?:think:
The atmosphere isn't thinning. It was thinning long ago (to a minimal extent) because of the chloroflourocarbons reacting with ozone to make oxygen, but this has been reversed by global bans. However, on the flip side, the banning of CFC producing machines has left many, many, many 3rd world peoples without means of refrigerating their foods, killing many people. don't hear that on the evening news do ya?

On a side note, another global banning catastrophe was that of DHT--an insecticide. People are convinced its dangerous somehow, and at worst it bioacumulates in certain small animals. Otherwise, its practically harmless and it was the worlds best defense against malaria. After its (very political) world wide removal malaria induced deaths (by mosquito) went from nuisance level to MILLIONS per year. So, technically, the envirofreaks killed millions of people EACH YEAR for the past 30 years by banning DHT which was one of the safest insecticides, ever!

Last edited:
kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
.....the one pattern these people all follow is that socialism is the way to go, no matter the issue at hand, and they should be in charge. For a while the problem was global cooling, and the answer was socialism. Now it's global warming, and the answer is socialism. ....
B-I-N-G-O ... its entirely political. Michael Chricton names his book after the fact that politicians and the media use fear for power. If the world is overheating or overcooling, of course big-daddy government is there to save you.

.... just sign the line below

Have my life gov't...
X_____________________