new information about the way the body breaks down and renews itself

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
YOUNG AT HEART

NY Post

06-21-06

THINK you've got the body of someone half your age? Turns out you're right. If you're in your late 30s, your muscles are only around 15 years old, say scientists. And some of your parts aren't much older than a newborn's - your eyelashes are only 2 months old, while the surface of your skin has been around a mere two weeks.

That's the word from scientists in Sweden uncovering new information about the way the body breaks down and renews itself. They found that as you get older, your cells are constantly dying off and being regenerated, meaning many parts of your body are years younger than your chronological age.

Your tastebuds? New every 10 days. Your bones? Ten years old, on average.

Your cerebellum? It's roughly three years younger than you are, which is something to consider next time you're tempted to shave a few years off the age in your online dating profile.

Scientists have long wondered about these matters, but answers have been hard to come by. The breakthrough of Swedish neurologist Jonas Frisen, as reported in this month's New Scientist magazine, was figuring out how to use carbon-14 dating - used to measure the approximate age of archeological finds - to precisely gauge the age of body cells.

To pull this off he had an unlikely ally: the Cold War. The technique measures the amount of carbon-14, a radioactive isotope, in a sample of organic matter. That level decays steadily over time, so the amount that remains determines how old it is - but only within a 30- to 100-year margin of error.

What enabled Frisen to improve his accuracy was the fact that at the peak of Cold War nuclear testing, there was double the usual amount of this isotope in the atmosphere - a "bomb spike" that started declining when a partial test ban treaty took effect in 1963. Comparing the level of carbon-14 in a cell to the level in the atmosphere when Cold War testing was at its peak allowed Frisen to determine the age of various body parts.

The cells that work the hardest have the shortest life spans, he and his team found. Red blood cells, for example, last only 120 days. The lining of your gut renews itself the quickest, with the cells regenerating every five days. (Your actual guts are older - close to 16 years, or slightly older on average than your muscles.)

Ultimately the researchers hope to figure out if and how brain cells regenerate. Studies are also being done to learn more about heart, liver, eye and fat cells.

Such work could help with treatments for a number of diseases, including Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, heart disease, depression - even obesity. (Scientists don't know if obese people have more fat cells, or just fatter ones.)

Parkinson's may be related to cells not being created adequately to replace the ones that die. As for depression, a Columbia neurologist, Rene Hen, demonstrated that mice became depressed if the stem cells in a particular region of the brain weren't making enough new neurons. (Prozac works in part by stimulating their growth.)

There are still a lot of questions researchers hope to answer. For example, does all of your body eventually get renewed?

How many bodies do you go through over the course of your life?

By the end of your life is any of the body you were born with still left?

And lastly, if you really have the body of a teenager, how come you're not getting more dates?

Of course the research is likely to generate other questions among readers - like, for example, why don't I have the ripple-free skin of an eight-year-old?

For the record, the answer is that your mitochondrial DNA ages at the same rate you do. If scientists ever figure out a way to slow its aging down, or repair it, they might be able to delay the effects of aging.

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
....For the record, the answer is that your mitochondrial DNA ages at the same rate you do. If scientists ever figure out a way to slow its aging down, or repair it, they might be able to delay the effects of aging.

ALCAR + ALA. :)

Malek256

Awards
Resveratol :) Check out A-G-E Inhibitors...

I hit this because I was searching on Hen's work after reading this in the post. Pretty cool article, we've all heard pieces of this but so neat to really think about it. Proof positive you are what you eat - at least what you've eaten in the last 15 years :)

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Great article! This justifies my life style, I was wondering why; I seem to keep getting better instead of getting older!

Supersize this!!!

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
are most of u still using ala with the alcar?myself and many others have switched to idebenone as a superior side free alternative.seems ala has different effectson blood sugar,water retention,that can be undesirable.ideb doesnt have these
what are your thoughts?
also some related info by deepak chopra...was truly amazed by this
we are getting closer and closer to the' fountain of youth' in a real way in this lifetime imo

bones seem to be only a matter of months,not years.seems its a matter of quantumly changing the 'blueprint' how we see fit.VERY exciting times to see things like this becoming more mainstream,practical,and applicable

Protein Turnover; the dynamic human body

Although your body appears quite solid, it is always in a constant state of flux. Body protein is constantly being turned over as old cells die and new cells replace them. Best-selling author and mind-body expert Dr. Deepak Chopra describes this ongoing cellular renewal process like this:

"It is as if you lived in a building whose bricks were systematically taken out and replaced every year. If you keep the same blueprint then it will still look like the same building. But it won't be the same in actuality. The human body also stands there, looking much the same from day to day, but through the process of respiration, digestion, elimination and so forth, it is constantly and ever in exchange with the rest of the world."

Quantum physicists have proven that 98% of the atoms in your body are replaced within one year. In three months your body produces an entirely new skeleton. Every six weeks, all the cells have been replaced in your liver. You have a new stomach lining every five days. You are continually replacing old blood cells with new ones. Every month you produce an entirely new skin as dead cells are shed and new cells grow underneath. The proteins in your muscles are continually turned over as muscle is broken down and new tissue is synthesized. Every cell in your body is constantly being recycled.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Idebenone has always been my choice over ALA. I have always bought it as a bulk powder and just take about 100mgs in the morning, with my AL-CAR and pre work out supps. Idebenone seems to be an anti-oxidant as well as a brain booster(cognitive,well being)

I have recently began a trial run with Na-RALA. I am adding it to a TTA cutting cycle.(?)