Excess protein may comprimise anabolic hormone environment...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Haven't seen this one anywhere, thought it was interesting:

Relationship between diet and serum anabolic hormone responses to heavy-resistance exercise in men.

Sallinen J, Pakarinen A, Ahtiainen J, Kraemer WJ, Volek JS, Hakkinen K.

Neuromuscular Research Center & Department of Biology of Physical Activity, University of Jyvaskyla, Jyvaskyla, Finland. [email protected]

Relationship between dietary intake and serum anabolic hormone concentrations of testosterone (T), free testosterone (FT), and growth hormone were examined at rest as well as after the heavy-resistance exercise (HRE) in 8 strength athletes (SA) and 10 physically active non-athletes (NA). In the first part of the study serum basal anabolic hormone concentrations and dietary intake were examined in the total group of subjects. In the second part of the study a subgroup of 5 SA and 5 NA performed the high volume and high intensity HRE. Dietary intake was registered by dietary diaries for 4 days preceding the loading day. Significant correlations were observed between serum basal T and fat (E%: r = 0.55, p < 0.05, g/kg: r = 0.65, p < 0.01) and protein intake (E%: r = - 0.77, p < 0.001, g/kg: r = - 0.68, p < 0.01) in the total group of subjects. However, when the two groups were examined separately the significant relationships between serum basal T and dietary fat and protein could be noticed in SA only (fat g/kg: SA r = 0.77, p < 0.05; in NA r = 0.44, n.s., protein g/kg: SA r = - 0.84, p < 0.05; in NA r = 0.27, n.s.). Both serum T and FT responses to HRE were correlated with fat (E%: r = 0.85, p < 0.01 and r = 0.73, p < 0.05, g/kg: r = 0.72, p < 0.05 and r = 0.77, p < 0.01) and protein (E%: r = - 0.81, p < 0.01 and r = - 0.69, p < 0.05, g/kg: r = - 0.86, p < 0.01 and r = - 0.65, p < 0.05). The results suggest the possible role of diet leading to alterations in serum T and FT during prolonged strength training, and that diets with insufficient fat and/or excessive protein may compromise the anabolic hormonal environment over a training program.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Wow...am.com is "different" :eek: Nobody paying attention to the "study". hahaha :lol:

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
what study? I'm still tripped out you're still eating ice cream.

I've seen studies showing what many of us know in regards to dietary fat and endogenous hormones, but never thought I'd see something regarding excess protein. How many people do you know that eat 350-400g's a day? I know a few that drink shakes like water. ;)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps we need a specific amount of fats with our protein ?

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Lee Priest once said something close to this...

"Ahh, fats. The most fear nutrient in bodybuilding, but I'm telling you, this stuff is anabolic!"

Fats are important for synthesis of many hormones. It makes sense to me that not having enought will lower hormone levels.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Lee Priest once said something close to this...

"Ahh, fats. The most fear nutrient in bodybuilding, but I'm telling you, this stuff is anabolic!"

Fats are important for synthesis of many hormones. It makes sense to me that not having enought will lower hormone levels.
Yeah, that's pretty well known in the BBing world though. Fear of fats was an 80s to 90s thing.

But, excess protein being detrimental? That's something I've never heard before.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know it's detrimental in other areas of the body but wasn't aware of possible effects on hormones.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Kinda makes sense. The body has to martial resources to digest and process protein....and if there is an imbalance between those other resources and the amount of protein needed to be processed, the body would need to starve other processes (maybe some analogous process to catabolism).

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I'll believe it. I think it may not be the protein itself, rather people sooo focused on downing 400g of protein that they neglect other areas such as healthy fats...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Something I've contemplated for a while now. so, I'm not surprised by what it says, but surprised to "see the study".

IMO it makes perfect sense to me to have a relatively constant level of pro/fat (with respect to LBM) and modify only carbs depending on goals. IF LBM goes up modify pro/fat, otherwise manipulate with carbs. JMO

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I'm with Rampage.
I think folks concentrate too much on protein so that they forget about healthy fats.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The results suggest the possible role of diet leading to alterations in serum T and FT during prolonged strength training, and that diets with insufficient fat and/or excessive protein may compromise the anabolic hormonal environment over a training program.

reread it... it was and/or. it was not an if then.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I'll believe it. I think it may not be the protein itself, rather people sooo focused on downing 400g of protein that they neglect other areas such as healthy fats...
This is so damn true unfortunately. My 17 year old cousin was asking for advice and he told me he takes 300 grams of protein every day, he's 165 BTW. I asked about his fat, carb, & calorie intake and looked at me as if I was speaking Chinese, he didn't think it was that important.

J

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
This is so damn true unfortunately. My 17 year old cousin was asking for advice and he told me he takes 300 grams of protein every day, he's 165 BTW. I asked about his fat, carb, & calorie intake and looked at me as if I was speaking Chinese, he didn't think it was that important.
well thats why he is 165lbs and will probably remain that weight indefinately unless he opens his mind

this is interesting stuff.i wonder if there is a direct mechanism for its possible claimed effect on anabolism but i am strongly leaning in the direction as u guys are that its probably indirect thru not getting enough healthy fats and overall cals.