Violent movies can boost testosterone by 30%

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Movies can alter hormone levels

By Joseph Serwach
News Service

Romantic movies can have a measurable physical effect on people, new research shows.

Watching a romantic movie can boost progesterone levels more than 10 percent, bringing couples closer together, according to the U-M research. A movie like "The Godfather" can alter testosterone and dampen attentive feelings.

Psychology researchers tested three different groups. One viewed a romantic scene from "The Bridges of Madison County," a second group watched portions of "The Godfather Part II" while a third group watched a documentary on the Amazon rainforest. Each had hormonal levels tested immediately before, after and 45 minutes after viewing the 30 minutes of tape.

The rainforest group saw no change in hormonal levels, while men and women watching the romantic film saw their need for affiliation and their progesterone levels rise. "Bridges of Madison County" left women's testosterone levels unchanged, but had a dampening effect on men's testosterone levels.

Watching a romantic movie can boost progesterone levels more than 10 percent, bringing couples closer together, according to new research at U-M. A movie like "The Godfather" can alter testosterone and dampen attentive feelings.

Men and women reacted differently to a "Godfather Part II'' scene in which a young Vito Corleone acquired and consolidated power after killing a hated foe. High-testosterone men saw their power motivations and testosterone levels jump as much as 30 percent as their need for affiliation dropped. Meanwhile, high-testosterone women saw their testosterone fall, while people with low-testosterone levels who were most comfortable in submissive roles could get downright uncomfortable.

"When you're watching movies, your hormones are responding, not just your mind," says Oliver Schultheiss, a psychology professor whose work will be detailed in an upcoming issue of the journal Hormones and Behavior. "This also helps explain why certain people like to go to certain types of movies. Affiliation-motivated people like to see romantic flicks. But power-motivated people prefer movies with more action and violence.

"If you want to learn about someone's personality, look at their video collection or look at what's on their bookshelves."

So what's the best date movie for a couple? "They should definitely see the romantic movie, and if the guy is high-testosterone, he should just clench his teeth and in exchange, it will help promote the relationship," Schultheiss says.

Higher testosterone levels can help muscle growth, enhance libido and prime people for more assertive, dominant behavior including aggression, he says. Researchers are less clear about the effects of progesterone. Progesterone is known to reduce anxiety. It also is possible that higher levels of progesterone make people more attentive and can prime them for opening up more and being more romantic while decreasing libido.

While both hormones are present in both sexes, women have less testosterone than men.

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
This should also apply to viewing of violent sports too. Football, boxing, MMA, etc.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had a fight with an Italian dude

right around the time
Rocky came out.

Italians... White people, period, y'all
go crazy after y'all see a Rocky movie

because y'all believe that ****.

Because the movies are
so emotional and so real,

you sit there and go like,
"Hey, this is real."

And Stallone have y'all white
people pumped, especially Italians.

After Italians see Rocky, they come
out the movie theater, they be like...

"All right, Rock-O!

"All right, Sly!"

"All right, Rock-O! Rock-O!"

Go up to the people
standing on line and ****.

"Hey, paisan, you going in to see
Rocky right now?"

"Yeah."
"It's a great ****ing movie.

"It's great.

"You gonna like this.
When Sly comes out,

"he breaks this big
****ing [Guy's] face.

"He busts it ****ing wide open.

"****ing [Guy] laying
on the floor, ****ed up.

"It's ****ing great. I ****ing
love it, man. All right, Rock-O!

"At the end of this picture, now,
just between you and I,

"I don't wanna ruin the surprise,
but Sly wins this one again."

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
man sounds like I should start watching more chic flicks with my wife. I usually watch the violent shows with her.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
This is so cool. I am slowing down on comedies and will go to the cinema watch aggresive stuff!!!!!AAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Yeahright,

Does the original arcticle reference the actual study? Do you have a link to the original arcticle?

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
Now, that's funny.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I had a fight with an Italian dude

right around the time
Rocky came out.

Italians... White people, period, y'all
go crazy after y'all see a Rocky movie

because y'all believe that ****.

Because the movies are