Low Libido = Low T-levels?

• Thread starter rocketscientist
  • Start date

rocketscientist

Awards
Don't think this is true only for old people... Interesting is the strong overlap T-level ranges of those with low and high libido, basically meaning that on an individual case bases one can't conclude low T-levels from a low libido.

What I'm missing here is a comparison between baseline levels for those subject with a changed libido score between the different measurements (or maybe I missed that?).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16670164&query_hl=11&itool=pubmed_DocSumTHE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN LIBIDO AND TESTOSTERONE LEVELS IN AGING MEN.

Travison TG, Morley JE, Araujo AB, O'donnell AB, McKinlay JB.

New England Research Institutes, Watertown, MA, USA; St. Louis University, Division Of Geriatric Medicine, and St. Louis VA Medical Center, St. Louis, MO, USA.

Context. Though it is known that serum testosterone (T) concentrations are related to libido, the strength of that relationship in community-dwelling men has not yet been determined. Objective. To assess the strength and significance of the association between aging men's self-reports of libido and serum T concentrations. Design. A community-based evaluation of men's health and aging. Three data collection waves: baseline (T1: 1987-89) and follow-ups (T2: 1995-97, T3: 2002-04). Libido was measured on a 14-point scale assessing self-reported frequency of desire and thoughts/fantasies; "low libido" was defined as a score of less than 7/14. Setting. An epidemiologic study in greater Boston, MA, USA. Participants. 1632 men aged 40-70 y at baseline, with follow-up on 922 (56%) at nine years (T2) and 623 (38%) at 15 yr (T3). Main outcome measures. Total and calculated bioavailable testosterone (TT and BT) . Results. Three hundred eighteen (19%) subjects reported low libido at baseline. Libido and T displayed a significant association. However, the difference in mean T levels between those subjects with low libido and those without was small; analyses indicated a 3.4 ng/dL (.12 nmol/L) increase in TT per unit increase in libido. Subjects reporting low libido exhibited an increased but modest probability of exhibiting low T. Dividing T concentrations by the number of androgen receptor gene cytosine, adenine, guanine repeats did not enhance associations. Conclusions. Libido and T concentrations are strongly related at the population level. However, the value of individual patient reports of reduced libido as indicators of low T levels is open to question.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
We've seen this phenomenon with Tribulus/Fenugreek and related compounds. They boost libido, but in many studies DON'T boost testosterone levels.....so the speculation is that they have some other action which is important to libido. Interesting article.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Interesting, i feel like since I lost a **** ton of weight since highschool (i ran it all off, very unhealthy) i have had a lower libido. Even though I have bulked up and have a lot mroe muscle then back then, and I take breaks from training when feeling overtrained. That was unheard of back then. I dunno. I wonder if I can ever get it back to where it was before all that weight loss

rocketscientist

Awards
Have you tried any of the herbal stuff, like tribulus, fenugreek, maca,... If not - it's fairly cheap and well worth a try.

Of course there are also the typical 'male support' supps, which you could try as well...

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
im on cissus now+powerfull now. Just out of curiousity, maybe some of the bigger names on here could answer this. But I wonder if that what I did to myself with all that weight loss very fast all those yrs ago to permantly **** up my hormones. Hmmmm.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I doubt that weightloss did you permanent damage, I don't think low libido necessarily means low test levels, there are other things that can contribute.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hbs6,

There can be many factors contibuting to your libido issue. Low body fat can be a cause. I believe low fat (healthy fat) diets can be a cause. Stress from the above can do this as well. Overtraining, poor sleep, rec drugs etc. etc.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think low libido necessarily means low test levels, there are other things that can contribute.
I agree. I have had low test levels with no issues in libido, high libido without increased test levels, etc. For myself I see it more of a psychological issue rather than a hormonal issue. Life (parenting, career, etc.) stress can wreek havok on me from time to time and cause a loss of interest. My wife is as attractive as ever after the ten years of marriage. It seems when I am less stressed she becomes quite a bit more inticing and intersting without changing her appearance or behavior. Could just be me :)

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
its not like a total old man plague or anything...its just down from what it was b4 I lost all that weight

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Maybe its just totally mental, never really thought about it that way. God, the mind is so powerful!

rocketscientist

Awards
It seems when I am less stressed she becomes quite a bit more inticing and intersting without changing her appearance or behavior. Could just be me :)
I agree - your wife is a lot more interesting when you are less stressed :D

But yeah, you're not alone. Stress is the biggest libido killer.

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
I can't put my finger on any studies at the moment but some of my research leads me to believe that it is the ratio of hormones to other hormones that plays a part in libido. We have test/free test ratio; estrogen/test ratio; estrogen/free test ratio

As a middle aged male my libio changes throughout a 12 week test cycle w/ no AIs. Stronger in the first half, intermitent in the second half when more SHBG is diminishing free test and also when estrogen becomes higher.

Also I have seen research pointing to the hormone cortisol as playing a part and even believe it or not a reference to the hormone cholesteral as having an effect. Perhaps other hormones as well...or their ratios to other hormones play some part.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
I can't put my finger on any studies at the moment but some of my research leads me to believe that it is the ratio of hormones to other hormones that plays a part in libido. We have test/free test ratio; estrogen/test ratio; estrogen/free test ratio

As a middle aged male my libio changes throughout a 12 week test cycle w/ no AIs. Stronger in the first half, intermitent in the second half when more SHBG is diminishing free test and also when estrogen becomes higher.

Also I have seen research pointing to the hormone cortisol as playing a part and even believe it or not a reference to the hormone cholesteral as having an effect. Perhaps other hormones as well...or their ratios to other hormones play some part.
I assume you mean high enough Cholest, and low cort having + effect on libido?