yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Growth hormone is latest bombshell to hit baseball

By Larry Fine
Reuters
Thursday, June 8, 2006; 8:54 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Major League Baseball's independent panel investigating drug use is not commenting on the latest doping bombshell to hit the game - that players may be cheating the system by taking human growth hormone.

Journeyman relief pitcher Jason Grimsley admitted using human growth hormones, steroids, amphetamines and other illegal performance-enhancing drugs during his career and named other baseball users, according to a sworn affidavit from a federal investigator and documents filed in Arizona's federal court.

The 38-year-old Grimsley, whose Scottsdale, Arizona, home was searched by federal agents on Tuesday, was cut from the roster by the Arizona Diamondbacks on Wednesday.

"This is a black mark on a great game," said Ken Kendrick, managing partner of the Diamondbacks.

"We have no comment," said John Clarke, spokesman for former U.S. senator George Mitchell, who was named in March to lead an independent investigation into the past use of performance-enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball.

Baseball has just navigated its way through Barry Bonds, at the center of steroid-taking allegations, surpassing Babe Ruth and taking second place on the all-time home run list.

FEDERAL PROBE

According to a report in the Arizona Republic, Grimsley's case may have been tied to the federal probe into Bonds.

The newspaper quoted the attorney for Grimsley as saying federal agents tried to pressure the former Diamondbacks pitcher into wearing a listening device to lure other major league players into confidential conversations in an effort to find incriminating evidence against Bonds.

"It was a specific effort to target Bonds," it quoted Edward F. Novak, a criminal attorney in Arizona. "We were told that Jason's cooperation was necessary to their case."

Novak said Grimsley, a 15-year major leaguer who played for seven different teams, "was outed by the feds" because he refused to cooperate.

Names of other players who Grimsley told investigators were also using banned substances were blacked out in the federal documents that were made public. It quoted Grimsley as saying amphetamines were once used "like aspirin" in clubhouses.

Grimsley was confronted by federal agents when he took delivery in April of two kits of growth hormone, according to the documents.

Since the major leagues now impose random urine tests to detect steroids and amphetamines, Grimsley was using only human growth hormone, according to the documents.

Major league commissioner Bud Selig deferred to Mitchell over the case. "Because this is an ongoing criminal investigation, I will not make any comment about this specific case," he said in a statement.

"As a general matter, however, I urge everyone associated with Major League Baseball - from the players to the union to the owners - to cooperate with the ongoing investigations by the Federal government and by former Sen. George Mitchell."

Major league official Rob Manfred said in a statement that HGH presented special problems in terms of testing.

"No governing body in any sport has ever been able to discipline an athlete for the use of HGH.

"Major League Baseball understands that its policy must continue to evolve to keep pace with scientific development," said Manfred, adding that baseball was funding research to develop a urine test for HGH.

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
Huh! I wonder if his big head/hands/feet tipped off the feds?

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Can anyone explain to me why the fact that a baseball player prompts/requires a federal investigation? this is a matter that should be handled by the league itself. the federal government has now becoming the governing body of baseball.

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
May be because interstate transaction of controlled substances is under federal jurisdiction.....

I hope you don't mean to say that if you and I ordered growth hormone, then we got a visit from the DEA while a baseball player can only be dealed with by his league...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
He's supposed to be ratting out on a LOT of his ex-teammates (keep in mind he played on back-to-back championship teams w/the Yanks), if he does then he is the ultimate piece of sh!t in team sports.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I am starting to see a pattern emerge. It looks like people who stand to gain an advantage in any given measurable parameter (money, strength, speed, HRs, K or getting laid) will do almost anything (disciplined training,chemical enhancement,dishonesty) to attain or maintain, any such advantage. The feds are concerned with this very visable model( pro sports) because it exposes the system's (competative capitalism) inherent weaknesses. The government needs to dispute the fact that cheating has been a proven and effective method for achieving success. Capitalism is more readily understood by the masses when it is reduced to an " ends(success) justifies the means(cheating) scenario."..

People who program artificial intelligence(AI) for gamebots routinely have to write lines of code just to prevent the gamebot from cheating. The game bot logically remembers that the clearest path to its programmed goal is to subvert the game structure(rules). a phenomena develops where the gamebot tries to change the game structure by re- writing the game code(ie cheating) This is called "win" mode

The government is just writing more anti-cheating code for the system. Of course they know( just like the AI programmers) that as long as there is a will(to be successful) there will be a way(to cheat)
So, remember kids cheaters never win and winners never get caught cheating.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Growth hormone is latest bombshell to hit baseball

By Larry Fine
Reuters
Thursday, June 8, 2006; 8:54 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Major League Baseball's independent panel investigating drug use is not commenting on the latest doping bombshell to hit the game - that players may be cheating the system by taking human growth hormone.

Journeyman relief pitcher Jason Grimsley admitted using human growth hormones, steroids, amphetamines and other illegal performance-enhancing drugs during his career and named other baseball users, according to a sworn affidavit from a federal investigator and documents filed in Arizona's federal court.

The 38-year-old Grimsley, whose Scottsdale, Arizona, home was searched by federal agents on Tuesday, was cut from the roster by the Arizona Diamondbacks on Wednesday.

"This is a black mark on a great game," said Ken Kendrick, managing partner of the Diamondbacks.

"We have no comment," said John Clarke, spokesman for former U.S. senator George Mitchell, who was named in March to lead an independent investigation into the past use of performance-enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball.Baseball has just navigated its way through Barry Bonds, at the center of steroid-taking allegations, surpassing Babe Ruth and taking second place on the all-time home run list.

FEDERAL PROBE

According to a report in the Arizona Republic, Grimsley's case may have been tied to the federal probe into Bonds.

The newspaper quoted the attorney for Grimsley as saying federal agents tried to pressure the former Diamondbacks pitcher into wearing a listening device to lure other major league players into confidential conversations in an effort to find incriminating evidence against Bonds.

"It was a specific effort to target Bonds," it quoted Edward F. Novak, a criminal attorney in Arizona. "We were told that Jason's cooperation was necessary to their case."

Novak said Grimsley, a 15-year major leaguer who played for seven different teams, "was outed by the feds" because he refused to cooperate.

Names of other players who Grimsley told investigators were also using banned substances were blacked out in the federal documents that were made public. It quoted Grimsley as saying amphetamines were once used "like aspirin" in clubhouses.

Grimsley was confronted by federal agents when he took delivery in April of two kits of growth hormone, according to the documents.

Since the major leagues now impose random urine tests to detect steroids and amphetamines, Grimsley was using only human growth hormone, according to the documents.

Major league commissioner Bud Selig deferred to Mitchell over the case. "Because this is an ongoing criminal investigation, I will not make any comment about this specific case," he said in a statement.

"As a general matter, however, I urge everyone associated with Major League Baseball - from the players to the union to the owners - to cooperate with the ongoing investigations by the Federal government and by former Sen. George Mitchell."

Major league official Rob Manfred said in a statement that HGH presented special problems in terms of testing.

"No governing body in any sport has ever been able to discipline an athlete for the use of HGH.

"Major League Baseball understands that its policy must continue to evolve to keep pace with scientific development," said Manfred, adding that baseball was funding research to develop a urine test for HGH.
I am ready to start burning government officials at the stake. Got matches?

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
That's stupid. They should be more focused arresting people that use drugs, not performance enhancements...

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Huh! I wonder if his big head/hands/feet tipped off the feds?
I also believe it has something to do with MLB being a monopoly which is then regulated by the gov., something along those lines to why they have hearings in congress for them.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
No wonder all those Baseball players are dying!
Steroids and now GH!
The body count is at what? zero?

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Steroids and now GH!
Shh! Don't point out the blatant truth, it makes the government's lying that much harder to believe. Wait...who am I kidding? The American public will believe anything the government tells them. I guess they think it's easier to let the government think for them. :rant:

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am starting to see a pattern emerge. It looks like people who stand to gain an advantage in any given measurable parameter (money, strength, speed, HRs, K or getting laid) will do almost anything (disciplined training,chemical enhancement,dishonesty) to attain or maintain, any such advantage. The feds are concerned with this very visable model( pro sports) because it exposes the system's (competative capitalism) inherent weaknesses. The government needs to dispute the fact that cheating has been a proven and effective method for achieving success. Capitalism is more readily understood by the masses when it is reduced to an " ends(success) justifies the means(cheating) scenario."..........
I love this!!

Yeah that's right! Capitalism sucks! Commies don't juice! :rofl: :rofl:

You must have missed out on what the Eastern Europeans and Russkies have been doing to their athletes. :rofl:

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I love this!!

Yeah that's right! Capitalism sucks! Commies don't juice! :rofl: :rofl:

You must have missed out on what the Eastern Europeans and Russkies have been doing to their athletes. :rofl:
You are just right of center on this one. My quoted statement was critical of the "competition incentive" used by those empowering the system. This "competetive carrot chase" is not qualitative(good or bad), but a tool used by those with power against those without it. This tool is used to create an illusion of choice, which is then manipulated to control the behavior of the masses. This behavioral control method has a few flaws mainly the contradiction of a statement like "...if you ain't cheating you ain't trying." or "cheaters never win and winners never cheat"

I am a (credit) card carring capitalist!!! I especially enjoy the type of "free market" capitalism that Adam Smith espoused. I am less enthralled with the highly protectionistic oligarcies that have risen under the Reagan/clinton/bush/Greenspan era, from which we now recover.

I do remember the Eastern European athletes....they won some medals or something right?thumbsup.gif[/url]
:thumbsup:

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It is only cheating, IF you get caught. -----Al Bundy

Fake it till you make it. -----Hilary Clinton

So, let'em juice!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Steroids and now GH!
Excellent point. They will probaly claim thousands of deaths and throw Lyle Alzado as an example :rolleyes: