Study Says Millions Have 'Rage' Disorder - AnabolicMinds.com

Study Says Millions Have 'Rage' Disorder

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Study Says Millions Have 'Rage' Disorder

CHICAGO (AP) - To you, that angry, horn-blasting tailgater is suffering from road rage. But doctors have another name for it _ intermittent explosive disorder _ and a new study suggests it is far more common than they realized, affecting up to 16 million Americans.

"People think it's bad behavior and that you just need an attitude adjustment, but what they don't know ... is that there's a biology and cognitive science to this," said Dr. Emil Coccaro, chairman of psychiatry at the University of Chicago's medical school.

Road rage, temper outbursts that involve throwing or breaking objects and even spousal abuse can sometimes be attributed to the disorder, though not everyone who does those things is afflicted.

By definition, intermittent explosive disorder involves multiple outbursts that are way out of proportion to the situation. These angry outbursts often include threats or aggressive actions and property damage. The disorder typically first appears in adolescence; in the study, the average age of onset was 14.
    Rest of Story

2. Professional Member

They should do a jackass study and they'll see why the rage disorder is on the rise
  3. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    They should do a jackass study and they'll see why the rage disorder is on the rise

I actually feel calmer and semi euphoric while on.
    •   

4. Pax

Roids don't "make" people aggressive. I'm a firm believer that roids simply enhance whatever qualities you already have. If you already possess a more aggressive nature, of course the roids will aggravate the condition. But for those with a more serene nature, like myself, roids essentially make me feel calmer, more relaxed, more secure, and basically enhance the sense of well-being.....
  5. CDB

Intermittent Explosive Disorder is actually an already well known condition. It's the inevitable after effect of a high protein diet.

As for the study, seems they concentrated on drug addicts. Guess that means if I'm driving down the road and some guy is pitching used heroin needles or empty bottles of Thunderbird out his window instead of cigarette butts, I shouldn't cut him off. He might get intermittently explosive because he's really sad.

What the **** are the studying these days? That's a lot of free time someone has on their hands.
  6. Banned

More excuses for bad behavior.
  7. Registered User

Hurrah - yet another pathetic excuse for some losers...

Yes - I do think this is real, but stuff like that is always used by individuals as a way to get out of being held responsible for their actions.
  8. Senior Member

Hmm, and for years I've just thought I was an ******* behind the wheel, now I learn I actually might have a disorder.
  9. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by UHCougar05
    Hmm, and for years I've just thought I was an ******* behind the wheel, now I learn I actually might have a disorder.
    It is perhaps notable that some dip**** doing 25mph in the left lane of an interstate during rush hour with nothing but open road in front of him might be a legitimate cause of rage. I find studies like this troubling on one level because they seem to try and explain away every single negative emotion, such as anger, rage, jealousy, etc., as abberative when in fact I think a lot of such emotions developed for a reason and are normal and justifiable in many cases. The person who acts on them inappropriately just has poor self control in my opinion.
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.

Just sounds like a personality type to me. Perhaps one's personality is determined by socialization, or maybe it is genetic, or probably it is a bit of both. But I don't think it is a "disorder."

11. New Member

Ever notice that people are idiots when they drive too fast, and morons when they drive too slow?
  12. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by DazzlinJack
    Ever notice that people are idiots when they drive too fast, and morons when they drive too slow?
    They're all "f-cking a--holes" to me.
  13. Pax

I have Houston Traffic Uncontrollable Irate Driver Everyone Else Sucks But Me Syndrome..
  14. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    God forbid we would could spend the $ to coordinate sensor controlled streetlights throughout a metropolitan area to aid flow for threat reduction, easier to drop a Billion $ a day in Iraq and blame the "sick" animals with a "disorder". Only 40,000 deaths and hundereds of thousands of injuries annually, a minor threat to our personal security.
    If driving in congested areas became easier, who would use mass transit? So goes the government view on things. I intermittently exploded today because some schmuck was doing 20mph in a 45 zone and I couldn't pass him for a good ten minutes. My dream on this issue, and it is a dream, is to take one of those massive trucks with a pointy plow on the front that throws snow in both directions, and run down the highway with it during rush hour at 90mph.

I guess I'm a sufferrer of this disorder. Normal rush hour traffic honestly doesn't piss me off. It's when I see I'm stuck in traffic because some stupid ******* doesn't know he can actually pass that billion ton, slow as ass cement truck in the right lane, thus allowing the rest of us behind him to actually attain a speed somewhat approaching the speed limit.
  15. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pax
    I have Houston Traffic Uncontrollable Irate Driver Everyone Else Sucks But Me Syndrome..
    You too? I get to take 610 to work every day. Range of emotions: and that's just on the way to work. It sucks working by the Galleria, all the idiots tend to migrate that way at that time of the morning.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.

Study should read: "Millions are jerks, still."
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-23-2008, 01:39 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 08:00 AM
  3. Cutting spicy, acidic foods doesn't stop heartburn, study says
    By David Dunn in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 01:28 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 10:35 PM
  5. Decaf worse for you than Caffeinated Coffee study says...
    By LakeMountD in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2005, 10:28 AM