Another profoundly ignorant article on AAS - AnabolicMinds.com

Another profoundly ignorant article on AAS

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    Thumbs down Another profoundly ignorant article on AAS


    Theres so many false statements and erroneous conclusions in this that I dont know where to start. So I'll let you all read it and YOU GUYS can bash it.


    Looking good: Now or later?
    by Brendan Murphy
    September 09, 2004
    Even with all the known side effects of steroid use, people continue to use steroids for both athletic and superficial purposes.

    "I think it's a problem across the board, not just at FSU," said Dan Moore, health educator at Thagard Student Health Center. "They're being taken much more than we could ever imagine, but there are not many stats to back this up. People who do steroids will never admit to it. Steroids are hush-hush, undercover, like a secret society."

    Steroids -- also known as gym candy, pumpers, stackers, A's, anabolics, roids, balls, bulls and juice -- have many known side effects, including cancer, liver damage, limb loss, heart disease/heart attack, baldness, HIV/AIDS, pain/difficulty urinating, and stunted growth in adolescents.

    "Since 1991, steroid use has risen 50 percent among eighth and 10th grade students," Moore said. "(Steroid) use has also risen 38 percent among 12th graders. This is scary; that's young."

    The aforementioned side effects should cause concern, but other side effects related to gender are also present.

    "Steroids are related to the sex hormone," Moore said. "For guys, they de-masculinize, for women, they de-feminize."

    Side effects particular to women include the development of male attributes -- deep voice and facial hair -- as well as infertility, smaller breasts, a stopped menstrual cycle, and clitoral enlargement.

    For men, side effects include shrunken testes, reduced sperm count, an enlarged prostate, impotence, and irreversible breast enlargements, also known as "man boobs." The medical term for man boobs is gynecomastia.

    "I would think that 'man boobs' would make some people think twice about steroids," Moore said. "This is not the case."

    The facts are there. Steroids cause men to go limp and grow boobs and they cause women to go bald and grow an unnecessarily large clitoris. But why do people continue to use steroids?

    "There are so many different reasons," Moore said. "If Derek Jeter hits five more home runs this year that means he will probably receive an extra million in his next contract. Or look at the speculation surrounding Barry Bonds. What if he became the greatest home run hitter of all time because of steroids? This is where the athlete motivation comes from -- to gain an edge.

    But what about people who use steroids for reasons other than an athletic edge?

    "For others, steroids simply make you look good," Moore said. "They make you lose weight, look strong and

    give you that desired six-pack. In today's society these things have become real important. But steroids also provide a rush, which becomes addictive. You crave the rush, physically and psychologically. This is why most people take steroids intravenously, because it hits them quicker, right before they go to the gym."

    Intravenously injecting steroids is primarily the reason for HIV/Aids being a side effect of usage, as many steroid users share needles. Not only does sharing needles cause HIV/AIDS, but also:

    "Studies show some cases where sharing needles inflames the inner lining of your heart, which can be deadly," Moore said.

    Sharing needles is clearly dangerous, and a common misconception is that steroids taken orally are cause for less concern.

    "Steroids are illegal, so they're often made in cheap labs and the grade is really low," Moore said. "Who knows who made it? Most steroids are made in Mexico where they're legal. But a lot of the time someone's making steroids in a basement somewhere. You never know what you're going to get. It's like cocaine and heroine, you never know what you're going to get."

    When comparing steroids to cocaine and heroine one would hope that users would be motivated to change their ways, but unfortunately, because of the addictive nature of steroids, people have difficulty fighting the addiction on their own.

    We see steroids on campus everyday: How about the Leach Center where massive men with garden hose veins throw weights around and grunt. Steroids are more common than ever, and they need to be eliminated not only because of the personal damage they cause, but also the damage they cause to others.

    "If you want to screw yourself up that's one thing, but when you effect other people's lives when you 'roid rage,' that's the worst part," Moore said.

    If you or a loved one are being affected by steroids, help is available on campus at the Student Counseling Center by calling 644-2003.

    Just remember:

    "You can achieve these things naturally, it just takes longer," Moore said. "Steroids are the fast answer, but the backlash is hardcore."





    "Most AAS users use IV huh? Most users know that could cause an oil embolism."............US

    "And where did he pull out that statistic about High school student AAS use going up? The surveys I've seen show a DECREASE in the last 5 years.".......(US)

    OK, guys blast away.

  2. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by UnicronSpawn

    Steroids -- also known as gym candy, pumpers, stackers, A's, anabolics, roids, balls, bulls and juice -- have many known side effects, including cancer, liver damage, limb loss, heart disease/heart attack, baldness, HIV/AIDS, pain/difficulty urinating, and stunted growth in adolescents.
    This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my life. Especially considering that there has never been a study definitely linking anabolic steroid use to HIV/AIDS or Cancer..Just ridiculous
  3. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    Whats equally rediculous is there are loads of chumps out there gullible enough to believe that garbage without asking for a SHRED of scientific evidence.

    Check out what someone else who read it had to say about it.



    Once again I find myself in awe of the media and political driven education standards that are accepted as lofty by the uneducated, and idiocy by those of us with too many pieces of academia lettered toilet paper.

    Enter The Research Journalist…

    A recent editorial by Brendan Murphy on 9/9/04 shared the combined knowledge of Florida State University (FSU) educators and health care professionals as well as the research talents of so-called media experts in relation to steroid use. (One can only assume that the credentialed et. al. was referring to Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids rather than hormonal birth control, corticoid glucocorticoid or mineralcorticoid steroids, but after reviewing the piece I doubt they would know either).

    Brendan (hopefully wearing a short dress?…I can only hope this is a woman as I am not sure of the spelling) opened her piece in the FSU Student Newspaper sharing her in finding through seconds of in depth research with…

    "Steroids -- also known as gym candy, pumpers, stackers, A's, anabolics, roids, balls, bulls and juice -- have many known side effects, including cancer, liver damage, limb loss, heart disease/heart attack, baldness, HIV/AIDS, pain/difficulty urinating, and stunted growth in adolescents."

    Gym candy, pumpers and balls? I am still working on the limb-loss and HIV/AIDS from androgens!

    *In all fairness we have to remember that women have been attempting to destroy anything that makes a man a man for centuries. This is why wives ask their husbands to hold their purses in public. (Okay, think I am just having fun at women’s expense? Then explain why they use the word "penis" and any man would never consider referring to his phallus in such emasculating terms) Let’s see what a health care professional and educator or our future can add…
    •   
       

  4. CDB
    Registered User
    CDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,543
    Rep Power
    2674

    Reputation

    What's the source of this piece of crap? Blasting it here is fun, but blasting it to the editor of wherever it showed up, while not likely to make a difference, may make a difference.
  5. Elite Member
    jmh80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,110
    Rep Power
    9661

    Reputation

    I remember seeing this on Meso back then. It was posted on FSU's website.

    (That school is full of retards. )
  6. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    guess there looking to expand their highly acclaimed retard population with brain cell anihilating misinformation like this.
  7. New Member
    SubliminalX's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    254
    Rep Power
    238

    Reputation

    I love how they say first that roids cause you to look horrible -- man boobs, etc. Then they turn around say that it makes you look good -- six pack, etc.

    WTF. This reminds me of the many articles talking about gun control.
  8. Banned
    jomi822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,419
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    i am seriously considering shooting an email to FSU. if anyone else would like to make a comment i will include it in the letter along with my comments, sent from an enrypted account and through a cgi-proxy or two just for the hell of it.
  9. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,443
    Rep Power
    27395

    Reputation

    Steroids -- also known as gym candy, pumpers, stackers, A's, anabolics, roids, balls, bulls and juice -- have many known side effects, including cancer, liver damage, limb loss, heart disease/heart attack, baldness, HIV/AIDS, pain/difficulty urinating, and stunted growth in adolescents.

    My glass eye and prosthetic arm nearly fell right out/off I laughed so hard reading this dribble.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  10. Banned
    jomi822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,419
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Daniel Moore
    Coord Ed/Train Pgms
    Thagard Student Health Center
    dmoore@admin.fsu.edu
    Phone:850-644-8871


    no one has anything to say to this ignoramus?
  11. IBE Representative
    JBlaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,557
    Rep Power
    8453

    Reputation

    This is absolutely ridiculous! I liked the IV comment.
  12. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    I dont know where to start.
    I know I dont want to just come out of the gate throwing insults around. Im trying to think of a good way to present it.

    Have any of you listened to the audio of Rick Collins recent seminar?
    Its quite long, but a better AAS myth buster ther never was. I can look for a link to it if you guys havent heard it. Thing is I doubt this Dan Moore character would sit and listen to the whole thing.
  13. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    They sat in a room and tried to brainstorm whatifs, for AS users. Well you could get HIV if you're sharing the needle with your gym partners and the local druggy...You could lose and arm if you're taking steroids while driving and hit an oncoming vehicle. Also, a 50% increase in the high school students could also mean that in this time period the known cases went from 4 to 6 or some such. Usually when no actual numbers are given and just %'s that's the case.

    I'd keep going but I would have to do this for every statement in the article
  14. Senior Member
    anabolicrhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,581
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jomi822
    Daniel Moore
    Coord Ed/Train Pgms
    Thagard Student Health Center
    dmoore@admin.fsu.edu
    Phone:850-644-8871


    no one has anything to say to this ignoramus?
    Ignorance is its own punishment. The path to enlightenment is long and neverending. The individual must make the choice.
    Red pill or blue pill?
  15. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    That was deep man did you just open a fortune cookie?
  16. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    They sat in a room and tried to brainstorm whatifs, for AS users. Well you could get HIV if you're sharing the needle with your gym partners and the local druggy...You could lose and arm if you're taking steroids while driving and hit an oncoming vehicle. Also, a 50% increase in the high school students could also mean that in this time period the known cases went from 4 to 6 or some such. Usually when no actual numbers are given and just %'s that's the case.

    I'd keep going but I would have to do this for every statement in the article

    And what about the "most anabolic steroids users inject IV to get the rush faster."
    Wonder where he came up with that statistic. Maybe that's where he got the limb loss thing. (oil embolism). Or Maybe he meant your AAS while driving scenario. (that ones funnier to think about anyway.)
    You could be driving and injecting at the same time (IV of course not IM like your supposed to.) and run people off the road and kill them then when you hit another car the needle would get jammed up your arm and youd have to get it amputated. Lol. it's brilliant. Truly a danger to all those around them. Not like that benign second hand smoke stuff. Or those innocent drunk drivers.
  17. Registered User
    Ronin13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    531
    Rep Power
    369

    Reputation

    I would like to hear this if you don't mind posting it.

    Quote Originally Posted by UnicronSpawn
    I dont know where to start.
    I know I dont want to just come out of the gate throwing insults around. Im trying to think of a good way to present it.

    Have any of you listened to the audio of Rick Collins recent seminar?
    Its quite long, but a better anabolic steroids myth buster ther never was. I can look for a link to it if you guys havent heard it. Thing is I doubt this Dan Moore character would sit and listen to the whole thing.
  18. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jomi822
    Daniel Moore
    Coord Ed/Train Pgms
    Thagard Student Health Center
    dmoore@admin.fsu.edu
    Phone:850-644-8871


    no one has anything to say to this ignoramus?
    Dr. Moore, I understand your enthusiasm for discouraging the non medical use of anabolic steroids. But Im writing to let you know that Im not convinced that exaggerating or falsifying facts is the best way to get young people to listen. Eventually, if the person is serious about considering using anabolic androgenic steroids, they will seek out the sources of these alleged claims. When that happens, the inevitable result will be that they will discover that users DO NOT inject anabolic steroids IV, but rather IM. They will discover that most users DO NOT share needles, and DO NOT get aids from proper needle use. When this happens the potential user will wonder why people want him to believe those things so badly. Wich undermines the credibility of your entire effort to disuade the potential user. You were used as a referance in a recent article that was put out, and it's loaded with so many errors that anyone seriously considering using these powerful drugs would not be likely to view it as a credible source of information.

    Some of the worst side effects listed in the article (many of them with your blessing) are nowhere to be found in any of the available medical literature. There have been no credible studies definitively linking the use of anabolic steroids to cancer. Lyle Alzado doesnt count because even his doctor came forward to publicly announce that and I quote. "There is no known correlation between Lyle Azado's death, and his use of anabolic steroids." Unquote.

    We do know that most anabolic steroids DO lower the high density lipoprotien (HDL) or "good cholestorol", but any links of short term use to cardiovascular events later in life are at this point ENTIRELY SPECULATIVE. You wont find any credible medical or scientific evidence to the contrary because there isnt any. Believe me I've checked. As a man of science, speculation and fact should be distinctly seperated and indentified as such.

    Many of the other side effects mentioned were either circumstancial, transitory, preventable, or all three.
    Liver damage for instance. There is a small ammount of evidence to link anabolic steroid use to liver stress, but appears to be relegated virtually exclusively to 17alpha alkylated oral anabolic steroids, and has only become apparent with extreme over use. IE: extreme dose over extreme duration, far beyond the standards of the average gym going anabolic steroid user. Those cases seem to be scarce in the medical literature I might add.

    I dont know how you came up with the "limb loss" as a side effect of anabolic steroid use, but your really grasping on that one. No college athlete is going to take an article seriously that purports such unverifiable ramifications. If IV administration was your argument there, then you might have a case for an oil embolism. IF it were true that anabolic steroid users inject IV. But they dont. Most of the more well known and widely abused anabolic androgenic steroids are in fact "oil based" and even the most bone headed users are aware that oil based drugs do not belong directly in the blood vessels. Thats because unlike recreational drug use, anabolic steroid use is invariably PREMEDITATED. They plan their "cycles" and base their drug aquisitions on the "cycle" they plan to follow, or plan the "cycle" based on what drugs they were ABLE to aquire.

    Excellerated male pattern baldness: Only in those genetically predisposed, and not a lethal side effect.

    Gynocomastia: preventable with use of a non steroidal AI, or with a SERM. And is not lethal. In cases where AI's and/or SERMS were not employed or were not effective, surgical procedures exist and are commonly performed to completely remove the swollen gland tissue from the area. (Gynocomastia is commonly seen in non anabolic steroid using adolescents and men.)

    The "roid rage" argument has persisted thanks mostly to sensationalistic journalism. There are studies that confirm that anabolic steroids effect seratonin production, but attributing that as a causative factor in acts of violence is irresponsible. Most cases in the media where someone on anabolic steroids comits a violent crime, they conveniently neglect to mention what kind of a person this individual was prior to his steroid use. The studies on rats show an increase in "biting" with administration of androgens. But the human studies that have been done at psychology institutes have shown that only a small minority of users ever experience true rage. Anecdotaly, most users report a sense of well being and confidence. All the so called evidence of alleged "roid rage" seems to be relegated to men with pre existing psychological conditions and/or with concurrent use of other aggression inducing substances such as alcohol or methamphetamine. Such users constitute a small minority of anabolic steroid users, and calling users a threat to all those around them is quite a stretch. Maybe even, (dare I say) "silly".

    There are however legitimate concerns about anabolic steroid use by younger males and by women. The masculizing of a female is an obvious possiblility. (allthough one could argue that it should be their choice if they want to be muscular, with a large clitoris, and needing to shave their masculine looking jawline daily.)

    You wont find any argument against the notion that teens shouldnt be using anabolic steroids. Not just because of premature growth plate closure, but because of the emotional instability and delicate endocrine system of teenagers. They are more likely to use more reckless dosing patterns, more likely to be aggressive while on the drugs, and more likely to be deeply deppressed when stopping use. They are also less likely to know how to come off the drugs in a manner that minimizes typical unwanted ramifications of terminating their "cycles".

    That being said, I believe you'll get through to more young men by emphasising the proven facts then you will by exaggerating them or by presenting highly suspect, circumstancial, preventable, and/or transitory effects as if they were all inevitable consequences of anabolic steroid use. For instance, you didnt even mention acne, wich is far more common of an effect among anabolic steroid users then ANY of the other side effects you listed.
    And because of the current legislation, yes obtaining legit sterile products is a very real danger. (One the could be quelled instantaneously upon reform of said laws.) And anabolic steroids cost big money, so right there are your 3 best tools in your fight against useage. Nobody will care about the effects you list that are either exaggerated, circumstancial, preventable, or transitory.

    So here are your big guns right here: Acne, unsterile products, and monetary cost. And you might want to add that if the safest possible practices of "cycling off" anabolic steroids are realized, then even with "proper post cycle therappy" the user will STILL loose most of the muscle mass and strength aquired while on the drugs.

    Those are your most reliable tools to fight anabolic steroid abuse. That is, if you want the credibility that comes with only stating the the most unavoidable consequences. You can still mention the other side effects, just dont expect to have credibility unless you include the disclaimer that those effects are either speculative, transitory, non-lethal, preventable and/or circumstancial.

    Many users have achieved levels of strengh and muscle mass far beyong their genetic (drug free) potential. So the argument that anabolic steroids are just a short cut is erroneous. Furthermore, the alleged or percieved benefits that the drugs offer are seen only in direct proportion to how hard the user works at his/her training and nutrition program. They are not a means by wich to be lazy, nor are they a means by wich to merely reach ones potential faster. They are a means to SUPERSCEDE the natural potential of the user.

    And for future referance, no self respecting user of anabolic steroids will ever be heard using the term "Gym candy", "pumpers", "stackers", "A's", "balls", or "bulls". Just FWI. And only outsiders call them roids. That just sounds to much like "hemroids".

    Have a nice day..............(a concerned citizen.)
  19. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    Eh? What do you think? Huh?
    Not to shabby, eh?
    Awww c'mon give it up for your boy.
    Show me some love.
  20. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin13
    I would like to hear this if you don't mind posting it.
    Oh yeah, Ricks seminar.
    I'll go find it after I grab something to eat here.
  21. Senior Member
    UHCougar05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    737

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by UnicronSpawn
    Eh? What do you think? Huh?
    Not to shabby, eh?
    Awww c'mon give it up for your boy.
    Show me some love.
    Plus a little something for your effort.
  22. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    Thank you my friend.
  23. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    go to the following link and click on the icon:

    > PUMPED: A Truth-enhancing Seminar on Steroid Use and the Law [MP3]

    http://www.drugpolicy.org/drugbydrug/steroids/
  24. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    You guys might want to browse around that site. I learned a few things about other drugs on there.
    Apparently AAS arent the only drugs that media propaganda has achieved an exaggerated public perception of.
  25. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    Mr. Moore, I would like to preface my comments by stating that as of this moment I have yet to injest anabolic steroids. However, that does not preclude me from realizing the complete journalistic irresponsiblity you displayed by propagating such unsubstantiated claims as those found in your article. The section of your article to which I take most offense, and find the most irresponsible is the following excerpt:

    "have many known side effects,including cancer, liver damage, limb loss, heart disease/heart attack, baldness, HIV/AIDS, pain/difficulty urinating, and stunted growth in adolescents." (pg.1)

    First, I would like to address the most irresponsible and unfounded claims of limb loss, HIV/AIDS, and cancer. In terms of the "known side effect" (1) of causing cancer, there is not one conclusive study directly linking the use of any anabolic steroid to cancer. In fact, there is not one study linking anabolic steroids directly to the death of any individual as a result of the physiological response they have in the human body. I refer you to the National Institute of Health's Report On Anabolic Steroids where it is stated, "Most data on the long-term effects of anabolic steroids on humans come from case reports rather than formal epidemiological studies.From the case reports, the incidence of life-threatening effects appears to be low" (pg.7). As it pertains to "limb loss" and "HIV/AIDS" I will admit that the risk of abscess and infection does exist, but no more than in any other situation where injection occurs. The National Institute of Health, New England Journal of Medicine, American Medical Association, etc, show absolutely no direct correlation between the physiological effect of anabolic steroids and HIV/AIDS or limb loss. This is something you clearly fail to mention and it is unfortunate you felt the need to imply this direct link in your article.

    Continuing, you purport that anabolic steroids cause "liver damage" and by failing to distinguish the different classes of steroids you are once again misleading. There are a class of steroids known as 17-alpha-alkylated steroids, known as such because they include a methyl group, alpha positioned at the 17th carbon. This methyl group allows the hormone to survive the first pass of the liver, and undeniably causes damage of the liver and lipid profiles. However, injectable steroids do not cause significant damage to liver and/or lipid profiles, and are the preferred choice of the responsible more experienced user.

    The only portion of your article which has it's base in substantiated fact is when you claim that steroids may cause "heart disease/heart attack" although once again in a very misleading manner. The risk of cardiovascular damage exists in the form of steroid's effects on the HDL/LDL cholesterol ratio. However, this ratio is affected to the same degree, if not more so by way of compounded abuse, by the horrid dietary habits practiced by the average American citizen. To imply the direct one-to-one ratio of anabolic steroids to this, or any of the other adverse side-effects you mentioned shows a complete lack of journalistic maturitry and integrity on your part.

    In this article Mr.Moore you displayed your unwillingness to research a topic before rehashing the same unfortunate misconceptions held by the average individual. As a current student of journalism I find it disconcerting to find yet another article based on unsubstantiated claims and bias opinion, void of any real thought or journalistic integrity. I challenge you to break the mould of stigmatized thought and biased opinion and instead form your own opinions based on credible fact.

    I wrote this as well..
    I thought he was the journalist..Anyway, he got my opinion.
  26. Banned
    jomi822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,419
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Unicron spawn, do i have your permission to send that as the main portion of my email to Mr. Moore? Very well written. i couldnt have said it better myself.

    reps for you my friend.
  27. Banned
    jomi822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,419
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    This is precisely the kind of material i am looking for. thanks for another segment mulletsoldier.

    ill wait another day to send the email if anyone else wants to get their thoughts into the mix.

    Edit: The anaminds powers that be say i must spread the love, sorry mulletsoldier and unicronspawn.
  28. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jomi822
    This is precisely the kind of material i am looking for. thanks for another segment mulletsoldier.

    ill wait another day to send the email if anyone else wants to get their thoughts into the mix.
    I already sent that to the guy, but apparently I didn't send it to the journalist.
  29. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    Yes, you may send my letter, but might want to edit out the IE: at the begining, and the precluding sentence. Nevermind, I'll just edit the post.
  30. Banned
    Nullifidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,741
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    I know how they concluded the limb loss side effect:

    If you get an infection due to not using sterile injection technique, or a non-sterile product and do not treat the infection, it can result in having to have the limb amputated.
  31. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    Ok I edited out the precluding paragraph that was addressed to you guys not him. And the "IE:" wich I threw in initially to present it as an example, but I got so into it that it became an entire work! Lol.
    I also spaced it a little better, easier to read that way. Only thing I didnt do was a spell check.
  32. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    I know how they concluded the limb loss side effect:

    If you get an infection due to not using sterile injection technique, or a non-sterile product and do not treat the infection, it can result in having to have the limb amputated.
    Yeah, that's what I was sayin when I mentioned the risk of abcess leading to limb loss.
  33. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    I know how they concluded the limb loss side effect:

    If you get an infection due to not using sterile injection technique, or a non-sterile product and do not treat the infection, it can result in having to have the limb amputated.
    Well I conclude that alcohol causes broken toes. "How do you figure?" You ask. Well, alcohol makes you pee alot, and can make you drowsy, so if youre laying in bed and have to take a leak in the middle of the night, you could stumble and stub your toe real bad on the way to the bathroom, and if you have weak bones it could break the toe.

    JK
  34. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    That was a good letter you wrote MulletSoldier, it's just to bad Dan Moore wasnt the actuall journalist. I dont know how we'd get a hold of the actuall journalist. You brought up some good rebuttle's too. And the fact that you mentioned that you've never used is points in your favor. I didnt say that in mine, because Id be a liar if I did.
  35. Banned
    Nullifidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,741
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Scary part is though, I have heard of at least one case of someone having their arm amputated due to infection. Though admittedly both were thirdhand accounts at best. One was Dave Palumbo telling a story about a friend who was prepping someone. The guy got an abcess from a shoulder injection but refused to use anti-biotics because he said it would "smooth him out". He wound up getting a nasty fever, getting hospitalized, and ultimately losing his arm.

    Sounds like an urban legend though to be honest. There are some really stupid people out there, but come on ... THAT stupid??

    Hmmm, then again ... yeah, it's definitely possible.


    As for the HIV thing though, no way. AAS users tend to use 2 seperate pins for each injection; 1 for drawing and a second for injecting. With the size of these things and how easily they are dulled, there is no way in hell a guy is going to accept a pin that first was used to draw, then pinned, then used to draw again. That would be like trying to stick yourself with a paperclip. The needle would be so dull atthat point I don't even know if it would be possible to break skin with it, lol.
  36. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian

    As for the HIV thing though, no way. anabolic steroids users tend to use 2 seperate pins for each injection; 1 for drawing and a second for injecting. With the size of these things and how easily they are dulled, there is no way in hell a guy is going to accept a pin that first was used to draw, then pinned, then used to draw again. That would be like trying to stick yourself with a paperclip. The needle would be so dull atthat point I don't even know if it would be possible to break skin with it, lol.
    Exactly, this kind of second-hand logic was exactly what I was trying to expose in the article, which always applies to mass media as well. Their reasoning is that it is intravenous (even though it's not) which can lead to infection, which can lead to HIV/AIDS. Therefore, they assert, anabolics cause HIV/AIDS, I hate that non-linear logic that is filled with so much bias it is ridiculous. Yeah, the doctor actually sent me a reply. I felt sort of like a douche.
  37. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    Exactly, this kind of second-hand logic was exactly what I was trying to expose in the article, which always applies to mass media as well. Their reasoning is that it is intravenous (even though it's not) which can lead to infection, which can lead to HIV/AIDS. Therefore, they assert, anabolics cause HIV/AIDS, I hate that non-linear logic that is filled with so much bias it is ridiculous. Yeah, the doctor actually sent me a reply. I felt sort of like a douche.
    What did he say? (besides that he didnt write any article?)
  38. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by UnicronSpawn
    What did he say? (besides that he didnt write any article?)

    Here's his e-mail:

    I do not disagree with your assessment. I was rather upset to have my
    name associated with the article.
    I supplied the actual author of the
    article with fact sheets from the National Institute of Drug Abuse
    (NIDA), since I do not claim to be an expert on steroid matters.
    Unfortunately the paper printed the article without fact checking their
    writer. From what I understand he is no longer there. We did send them
    a retraction, I am not sure if they ever ran it. Good luck in your
    pursuits in journalism

    Apparently this doctor agrees with my points. That's awesome.
  39. Advanced Member
    UnicronSpawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    481

    Reputation

    WOW, I did not see that coming!
    He basically says that they soiled his good name by attaching it to that piece of journalistic garbage!
    Well not much point in sending the other rebuttles if he allready agree's and is allready proturbed about the misuse of his name in association with the article. The one we need to be sending something to is the actuall journalist. But if he's not at that school anymore, that could be an exercise in futility. (Maybe he was so dumb he flunked out or something stupid.) But that Brendan whatsizname is the one we should be sending stuff too. The Doc allready knows that what the journalists are saying is wrong! Well how about that!?
  40. Banned
    jomi822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,419
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Mr. Moore,

    I recently discovered an article in which you negatively adressed the issue of anabolic steroid use for non-medical purposes. Mr. Moore, I was shocked at some of side effects listed as truth in this article. I find this article to be a gross representatin of the side effects of steroids, methods of use, and the level of addiction.

    In your article you state:
    "most people take steroids intravenously, because it hits them quicker, right before they go to the gym."

    This is blatantly untrue. Almost all steroids are dissolved in oil and any steroid user knows injecting such a substance into the veins can cause an oil embolism or at the very least a nasty cough/allergic reaction. Stating in this article that most steroid users inject the substance IV is plain wrong. Also, a decent amount of steroid operate through a system of esters, which cause a decidedly slow release of the hormone and would be useless for a direct IV injection. The method steroid users use to administer the drug is an intramuscular injection.

    Also stated in this article:
    "gym candy, pumpers, stackers, A's, anabolics, roids, balls, bulls and juice -- have many known side effects, including cancer, liver damage, limb loss, heart disease/heart attack, baldness, HIV/AIDS, pain/difficulty urinating, and stunted growth in adolescents."

    I have never heard steroid reffered to as gym candy, pumpers, stackers, A's, balls, or bulls. Furthermore the terms "roids" and "juice" are not typically used among those that use steroids.

    I have read many studies concerning steroid use and its side effects and no where in any study I have read have anabolic steroids been linked to cancer. I do not know who thought of this theorized side effect but I have personally never heard of any indivudual getting cancer related to steroid use.

    Liver damage is a possible side effect of steroid use, but highly preventable and unlikely. Oral steroids posses an methyl group designed to fortify the drug against filtering by the liver, which also causes a certain level of strain. To cause liver damage a steroid user would have to use large (much more than necessary) dosages of oral steroids for very extended periods of time to cause an type of permanent liver damage. Injectable steroids very rarely cause an increase in liver values.

    I also, quite incredibly, see "limb loss" stated as a side effect. Anabolic steroids in an of themselves can in no way shape or form cause limb loss. What I cany imply from this listed side effect is that a infection caused by a dirty needle or unproperly processed steroid somehow led to an uncontrollable infection resulting in the loss of a limb. Steroid users are aware that infections are possible, and typically employ the use of various methods to prevent such an occurence. If an infection does occur, a steroid user will typically keep antibiotics on hand and will typically hold no reservations about seeing a medical doctor if the problem is not solved with the on hand antibiotic.

    Steroids do not causes heart disease but can cause an increase in LDL values. Steroid users run their injections/orals in increments called "cycles". at the end of the "cycle" a steroid user will use detoxifying drugs in order to restablish natural testosterone production, restore proper lipid and liver values (if needed), and restore testicular size.

    Certain steroids are known to aggravate male pattern baldness only in genetically prone individuals. This can also be prevented with the use of certain shampoos or drugs.

    Hiv/aids? Mr. Moore i assure you that no steroid user is stupid enough to share needles. In fact steroid users often use two needles, one to puncture and draw from a vial and one to perform the actual injection. You are correct that there is a certain "secret society" aspect to steroid use and in this society such a practice (sharing needles) is deplored and has probably not been practiced for many years, if ever. Also, experienced steroid users tend to lead begginers through all of the basics, and only if they think the individual in question is ready to engage in steroid use (if his diet and training regimine are not in very good shape, an individual will find it very hard to purchase or recieve help pertaining to steroids, and will often be told to come back when his diet/regimine has improved).

    Every steroid user is aware that "man boobs" can be prevented with the use of aromtase inhibitors or selective estrogen receptor modulators.

    Another quote:
    "If you want to screw yourself up that's one thing, but when you effect other people's lives when you 'roid rage,' that's the worst part," Moore said.

    Roid rage has been highly exaggerated and is only known to become a problem in indivuals that already possess some degree of anger management issues. There have been very few studies that link steroid use to "roid rage", and those that do are weak at best.

    However I must state that steroid use among women and adolescents is STRONGLY opposed in the steroid community. Masculinization in women with steroids is almost unavoidable and steroid use among adolescents with still-developing endrocrine systems can be dangerous and result in severe depression upon cessation of use.

    Mr. Moore I simply ask that you state factual information in regards to steroid use. Many people are aware that these "facts" are not entirely true and this destroys the credibility of the pertinent points.

    I would like to also point out that steroids cause NO physcial addiction, as you stated. There is a certain level of mental addiction that can POSSIBLY occur due to the fact that a signifcat portion of muscle mass is lost after cessation of steroid use. Most steroid users are prepared for this loss, and even those that do not cope as well will typically "come off" steroids in order to detoxify their body for the minimal time required.

    Steroids, and their users, are demonifed. The truth of the matter is that your average steroid users have done MONTHS (in most cases years) of research on the chemicals they are putting into their bodies and are quite capable of preventing most if not all side effects. They are not junkies, you will never hear of a steroid user robbing a bank to get his "fix". They are active members of society and more often then not look out for one another when any issues arise. Steroids used in sports is cheating, this is not something one can argue with, but your typical steroid user has reached his genetic limit and requires the user of steroids in order to continue improving his body. In a nation where obesity is an epidemic I find it curious how many people deplore this method of self-improvement.

    Thankyou for your time, feel free to ask me any questions.

    -An advocate for truth
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Another great article on CEE
    By EZDUZIT in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 06:19 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 12:38 PM
  3. Positive article on AAS use
    By jminis in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-19-2006, 03:47 PM
  4. Hilarious article on AAS
    By Grant in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 05:13 PM
  5. Article on the Positive Aspects of AAS Use
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-03-2003, 11:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in