Steroid 'rage' may linger even after quitting

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Steroid 'rage' may linger even after quitting

Research in mice suggests brain changes ultimately reversible

NEW YORK - Anabolic steroid users may behave aggressively for a long time after stopping the drug, but the behavior -- and some of the brain changes linked to it -- may be reversible, animal research suggests.

In an experiment with teenage hamsters given anabolic steroids, scientists found that the animals continued to chase and bite their brethren for days during withdrawal from the muscle-building hormones.

At the same time, activity in the brain's vasopressin system, which is linked to aggression, was elevated in the steroid-treated hamsters.

After a couple weeks, however, both vasopressin activity and aggression subsided -- suggesting, the researchers say, that teenagers' use of anabolic steroids may have lasting but reversible effects on behavior and the vasopressin system.

But that doesn't mean that anabolic steroids aren't so bad after all, stressed lead study author Dr. Richard H. Melloni Jr. of Northeastern University in Boston.

"The promising part of the study is that it suggests (the aggression) will go away over time," he told Reuters Health. But the "disturbing part," he added, is that it could take a good while.

The hamsters Melloni's team studied went back to normal by day 19 of steroid withdrawal, according to findings published in the journal Behavioral Neuroscience. In human teenagers, that could translate to more than two years.

SHADOW2492

Awards
That is why I am running around biting all my friends, I thought it was the orange juice i've been on.

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
Although I am a proponent of AAS use, I know I experience feelings of rage much more often on cycle, and the dissipate VERY slowly post-cycle, sometimes months later. Most obvious when I'm driving. n=1, but I'm being honest.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never felt any aggression on top of the aggressiveness level I have normally. I think the mistake is that it causes aggression vs allows those who are already aggressive to act on it quicker than normal. Non scientific opinion of course :)

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I always thought I just liked biting people.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Never felt any aggression on top of the aggressiveness level I have normally. I think the mistake is that it causes aggression vs allows those who are already aggressive to act on it quicker than normal. Non scientific opinion of course :)
Same here. I really don't think there is such thing but I may be wrong. If you are an a**hole before cycle, you will be one during and after.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I prefer biting *******s.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
:rolleyes: Remember that Simpsons episode when bart got an elephant he called Stampy? At the end he gave it to a wild life reservation and the elephant kept bullying the other elephants by ramming them with his head. Lisa asked the ranger guy why, and he said "Well animals are kind of like people. Some of them are just Jerks." Then they show Homer bent down and repeatedly ramming the ranger with his head without saying anything.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
What's a bite amongst friends? lol. This is interesting because i've read studies were they gave users 100mg of Test suspension a week and they didn't act more aggressive! It REALLY depends on the individual and the dose used, when i did my first cycle of 750mg Test E i didn't feel more aggressive in the sense that i wanted to fight but more that i could focus more in the gym and lift more weight and also i'd more aggressively pursue women, I just felt damn good all the time, not angry at all. Now that i'm using Test prop and Tren ace i can notice a tiny bit that I have a little quicker temper but not much, it takes alot to get me angry most of the time. But it has made me a little moody, where i can feel just plain aggressive at times but it's not like i unload on people i just feel JACKED like i wanna go tear up the gym and hit some personal bests.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Damn, didnt know we had so many biters on this forum! :blink:

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Damn, didnt know we had so many biters on this forum! :blink:
I am thinking the same thing. Board full of damn zombies. "AnabolicEvil. The Apocolypse."

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Mind you llama bites can be quite painfull.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
What's a bite amongst friends? lol. This is interesting because i've read studies were they gave users 100mg of Test suspension a week and they didn't act more aggressive! It REALLY depends on the individual and the dose used, when i did my first cycle of 750mg Test E i didn't feel more aggressive in the sense that i wanted to fight but more that i could focus more in the gym and lift more weight and also i'd more aggressively pursue women, I just felt damn good all the time, not angry at all. Now that i'm using Test prop and Tren ace i can notice a tiny bit that I have a little quicker temper but not much, it takes alot to get me angry most of the time. But it has made me a little moody, where i can feel just plain aggressive at times but it's not like i unload on people i just feel JACKED like i wanna go tear up the gym and hit some personal bests.

I think the experience's you described are more common than the violent rage one's. At least among human beings. There's not a huge ammount of human research that I know of on the subject, but most of the studies I have read, or read about seem to suggest that with humans more people feel the way you do than feel violently aggressive.
I for one happeen to feel pretty much how you described. I only know a couple guys who say it makes them violent sometimes, and even then it's only when someone's provoking them either physically or being verbally abusive or disrespectful to them. It's not like you ask them to give you a spot and they get on the ground and start gnawing on your leg or something. (unless theyre just hungry of course.)

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Once bitten twice shy!

It's been quite along time since I was a teenage hamster, but I remember this one guy, big as a rat he was, and twice as mean. He used to steal all the kibble and stuff it in his cheeks. He would be on the exercise wheel all night, man he could just flat out fly. Now, I think I know his little secret..he was just another pin cusion!

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
LOL Ya i must say Tren would be nice to be on when getting into a fight, lol.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Mind you llama bites can be quite painfull.

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
If AAS like cheque drops don't cause an aggressive response, why do people take them?

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I got bit by an emu once. I don't think he was juiced though.

http://scs.web.elte.hu/Kepek/fun/emu.jpg
Looks like a juice head to me.

Besides everyone knows that anything bad that EVER happened ANYWHERE to ANYONE was because of anabolic steroids. Yup that's exactly how it works. I know because Geraldo and McGruff the crime dog told me so.

"A space shuttle malfunctioned today....." (Interrupts) "It's the god damn steroids! Theyre ruining our society!":nutkick:

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Although I am a proponent of anabolic steroids use, I know I experience feelings of rage much more often on cycle, and the dissipate VERY slowly post-cycle, sometimes months later. Most obvious when I'm driving. n=1, but I'm being honest.
I don't know about rage....and I haven't picked any fights with strangers.....BUT I've found myself physiologically READY to fight.

I'm usually very slow to get angry.........but I''ve found myself not angry....but ready to go if needed:

I'm thinking of a particular incident. A guy was sitting in his car in the line for the gas pumps. One opened up and he didn't move forward. I waited a minute, even gave a small honk to get his attention. Finally, I just drove around him and pulled up to the pump. Then another car pulled away opening the second pump in the island. This guy was apparently waiting for both cars to pull out before he was going to move forward. He got out of his car mumbling about me.

So here's the thing: Instead of blowing it off, I walked right up to him and asked if he had anything to say to me.

This isn't something that I would normally do.....and I wasn't trying to start a fight, but I was ready for one.

So while the stories are all exagerated, I'm conscious that they are built upon a grain of truth.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Yes Cheque drops would make you just plain angry, many believe that is what Tyson was on when he bit off Holyfield's ear.

Yeahright: I know EXACTLY what you mean where you feel like you'd be ready to go at a moments notice, i LOVE that feeling, lol. Can't wait to see what Test+Tren+Halo is like for my next cycle :clean:, lot's of strength and aggression is what i want.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I've often noted that biting down really hard on your testicles preworkout is a hellova rage enhancer. You should try it! :thumbsup:

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
I don't know about rage....and I haven't picked any fights with strangers.....BUT I've found myself physiologically READY to fight.

I'm usually very slow to get angry.........but I''ve found myself not angry....but ready to go if needed:

I'm thinking of a particular incident. A guy was sitting in his car in the line for the gas pumps. One opened up and he didn't move forward. I waited a minute, even gave a small honk to get his attention. Finally, I just drove around him and pulled up to the pump. Then another car pulled away opening the second pump in the island. This guy was apparently waiting for both cars to pull out before he was going to move forward. He got out of his car mumbling about me.

So here's the thing: Instead of blowing it off, I walked right up to him and asked if he had anything to say to me.

This isn't something that I would normally do.....and I wasn't trying to start a fight, but I was ready for one.

So while the stories are all exagerated, I'm conscious that they are built upon a grain of truth.

Coool--that's the same for me. I don't like the word RAGE, b/c I don't experience that ever, on AAS or not. But I do have a heightened aggression, or maybe assertiveness, but its there.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
If we have ANYTHING to be enraged about it's what these asspipe legislators are doing to our brothers.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Coool--that's the same for me. I don't like the word RAGE, b/c I don't experience that ever, on anabolic steroids or not. But I do have a heightened aggression, or maybe assertiveness, but its there.

I think a case can definetly be made about increased assertiveness, and the "ready to go" feeling of some androgens. Anyone who claims that androgens don't affect moods, psychological states, or even thought processes is fooling themselves IMO. Its not the question of whether they affect us, its how much that should be the issue. Sure if we were stimulus/response hamsters maybe we would run around biting each other, but humans have a much more complicated network of moods/unconscious drives/thoughts that motivate and cause our course of action.

and as for studies on androgens and brain activity, a lot has been done on nandralone and its derivatives as well.

andr3as posted a number of these on a thread over at mind&muscle, and you can get the pdf's there if you want.

Increased dopamine transporter density in the male rat brain following chronic nandrolone decanoate administration

Anna M.S. Kindlundh*, Sadia Rahman, Jonas Lindblom, Fred Nyberg

Department of Pharmaceutical Bioscience, Division of Biological Research on Drug Dependence, Uppsala University, Box 591, S-75124 Uppsala, Sweden

Received 30 September 2003; received in revised form 18 November 2003; accepted 21 November 2003

Chronic administration with nandrolone decanoate induces alterations in the gene-transcript content of dopamine D1 - and D2 -receptors in the rat brain

Anna M.S. Kindlundha ,*, Jonas Lindblomb, Fred Nyberga

Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Division of Biological Research on Drug Dependence, Box 591, S-751-24 Uppsala, Sweden

Department of Neuroscience, Division of Pharmacology, Uppsala, Sweden

THE ANABOLIC–ANDROGENIC STEROID NANDROLONE INDUCES
ALTERATIONS IN THE DENSITY OF SEROTONERGIC 5HT1B AND
5HT2 RECEPTORS IN THE MALE RAT BRAIN

A. M. S. KINDLUNDH,a* J. LINDBLOM,b
L. BERGSTRO¨ Mb AND F. NYBERGa
aDepartment of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Division of Biological
Research on Drug Dependence, Box 591, S-751-24 Uppsala, Sweden
bDepartment of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Division of Pharmaceutical
Pharmacology, Uppsala, Sweden

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Yup, androgens change my mental state allright. They make me content, confident and hornier than hell.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Yup, androgens change my mental state allright. They make me content, confident and hornier than hell.
Me too. I'm on Phera Plex and I feel that way. My girlfriend calls them my "happy pills". :twisted: :head:

Dave@NU

Awards
But that doesn't mean that anabolic steroids aren't so bad after all, stressed lead study author Dr. Richard H. Melloni Jr. of Northeastern University in Boston.

Im glad my university is doing such useful and ground breaking research :thumbsup: :hammer:

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Im glad my university is doing such useful and ground breaking research :thumbsup: :hammer:

Youre at NU? Holy ****, I live like a half a mile up the street from your school bro.:thumbsup:

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Word, you go to school / just live in Boston?

I go to Berklee (only part time now), but not during the summer. Im hanging around here about two more weeks then Im going away till fall semester starts.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I am a naturally huge, ripped good spirited fellow with a multi level genius IQ that is fueled by unbreakable self confidence. I really just take AA to be perceived as "trendy" in my social circle. Thanks mass media mind control machines!

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
AA? acetic acid? alcoholics anoynomous?:think:

JK.......(UnicronSpawn).