Giant Crater Found: Tied to Worst Mass Extinction Ever

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
An apparent crater as big as Ohio has been found in Antarctica. Scientists think it was carved by a space rock that caused the greatest mass extinction on Earth, 250 million years ago.

The crater, buried beneath a half-mile of ice and discovered by some serious airborne and satellite sleuthing, is more than twice as big as the one involved in the demise of the dinosaurs............
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060602/sc_space/giantcraterfoundtiedtoworstmassextinctionever

I guess then it would be safe to assume that eventually, we my find an even larger one then this one.
What Interests me is, so the scientists are saying it was larger then the one causing the extinction of the dinosaurs,... how accurately could they even guess the size of that one? For all we know, this one could have done it... anyways,.. Just thought this would be an interesting read for some

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
edit, correction
the chicxulub crater was a chunk of iron 5 to 10miles across ( the range is due to not knowing its speed). the chicxulub crater is the event that at least killed off the larger dinos, they know this due to the change in air, as much 25% blown off the earth and mor lost in other ways. They also belive that the oxygen content was permemently changed at this time, from about ~30 to the 21% now. as all this happened in the same time line its pretty conclusive. then again who knows, they could revise all this next month.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I thought it was larger:

"The crater, buried beneath a half-mile of ice and discovered by some serious airborne and satellite sleuthing, is more than twice as big as the one involved in the demise of the dinosaurs."

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
I thought it was larger:

"The crater, buried beneath a half-mile of ice and discovered by some serious airborne and satellite sleuthing, is more than twice as big as the one involved in the demise of the dinosaurs."
correct, my bad, misread his post.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Reminds one of just how old the earth is.