Immune to HIV linked to Gene Mutatation

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Immune to HIV linked to Gene Mutatation

"Researchers have recently found an interesting group of people that are either partially or completely immune to HIV. A gene mutation that has been passed down since the time of the Black Plague in the 1600s makes people now immune to the virus that causes AIDS"

I first saw this on the show (in the link) and was blown away...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/case_plague/

2. Registered User
    Answers

good post, nothing new though this has been known for some time... if the virus cant get into your cells, no infection can occur. I think the mutation is prevalant in 1% of the population.
    cc
  3. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by canadian champ
    good post, nothing new though this has been known for some time... if the virus cant get into your cells, no infection can occur. I think the mutation is prevalant in 1% of the population.
    cc

1% of caucasians are homozygotes 10-18% are heterzygotes and though not immune are resistant to disease progression.
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Answers

interesting read.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufacturer/advanced-muscle-science/
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Maybe they can harness it in gene therapy research.
    But, knowing our stupid legislators theyd probably make it illegal because it would give some hookers an "UNFAIR ADVANTAGE."
  6. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by UnicronSpawn
    Maybe they can harness it in gene therapy research.
    But, knowing our stupid legislators theyd probably make it illegal because it would give some hookers an "UNFAIR ADVANTAGE."

They are working on it using zinc finger endonucleases to engineer self-CD4 T cells resistant. It's a long, long way off though.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by velikimajmun
    They are working on it using zinc finger endonucleases to engineer self-CD4 T cells resistant. It's a long, long way off though.
    Well at least theyre working on it.
    Some people believe that a cure for AIDS will never happen since AIDS patients bring in so much money to the industry for such a long time. But hopefully that will no longer be the case. No ammount of money justifies that level of suffering IMHO.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

well HAART has vastly improved... with continued application the disease can pretty well be held at bay indefinitely.
    cc
  9. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Well at least theyre working on it.
    Some people believe that a cure for AIDS will never happen since AIDS patients bring in so much money to the industry for such a long time. But hopefully that will no longer be the case. No ammount of money justifies that level of suffering IMHO.

I'm working on my PhD in immunology and I doubt we will ever have a "cure" in the classic sense of the word but the treatments and livability of the disease will continue to improve that is certain.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by canadian champ
    well HAART has vastly improved... with continued application the disease can pretty well be held at bay indefinitely.
    cc

In some individuals this is true, for others it is unfortunately not and drug resistance is a huge problem.
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by velikimajmun
    In some individuals this is true, for others it is unfortunately not and drug resistance is a huge problem.
    Yeah very true... however the wide variety of drugs available now gives us some hope. I am doing my PhD in Pathology. Good luck.
    cc
  12. Registered User
    Answers

That is amazing, that would be awesome if I had the same delta32, I would never have to worry about HIV, although even if I did I would never know i had it.
  13. Registered User
    Answers

If delta 32 blocks hiv from entering the cell, does that mean that the person couldnt even become a "carrier"?
  14. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

If delta 32 blocks hiv from entering the cell, does that mean that the person couldnt even become a "carrier"?

Carrier isn't term used with HIV, but yes that's what it means for the most part. People with the mutation are still susceptible to infection with Strains that use CXCR4 instead of CCR5 as a co-receptor, but CXCR-4 viruses are thought to spread only rarely. People with the mutation aren't completely immune but they are highly resistent.
  15. Registered User
    Answers

I hope when gene therapy becomes an accepted medical practice that we can eventually permanantly implement this characteristic into anyone who wants to be more protected from HIV infection. It's just such a tragic disease. And the danger of it effects anyone who has sexual intercourse. Hetrosexual, homosexual, bisexual, non IV drug users and IV drug users alike. I certainly hope condoms and/or abstinence arent the best solutions the human race will ever come up with. I mean, compared to alot of things, AIDS research is still relatively new, and until 20something years ago the only reason for for using a condom was to prevent pregnancy. (and some of the unpleasant albeit non-lethal STD's).
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 01:57 PM
  2. MSG linked to blindness
    By Gmonkey in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 10:42 PM
  3. Virus, gene mutation linked to prostate cancer
    By yeahright in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2006, 08:34 PM