Immune to HIV linked to Gene Mutatation

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
"Researchers have recently found an interesting group of people that are either partially or completely immune to HIV. A gene mutation that has been passed down since the time of the Black Plague in the 1600s makes people now immune to the virus that causes AIDS"

I first saw this on the show (in the link) and was blown away...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/case_plague/

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
good post, nothing new though this has been known for some time... if the virus cant get into your cells, no infection can occur. I think the mutation is prevalant in 1% of the population.
cc

velikimajmun

Board Sponsor
Awards
good post, nothing new though this has been known for some time... if the virus cant get into your cells, no infection can occur. I think the mutation is prevalant in 1% of the population.
cc

1% of caucasians are homozygotes 10-18% are heterzygotes and though not immune are resistant to disease progression.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Maybe they can harness it in gene therapy research.
But, knowing our stupid legislators theyd probably make it illegal because it would give some hookers an "UNFAIR ADVANTAGE."

velikimajmun

Board Sponsor
Awards
Maybe they can harness it in gene therapy research.
But, knowing our stupid legislators theyd probably make it illegal because it would give some hookers an "UNFAIR ADVANTAGE."

They are working on it using zinc finger endonucleases to engineer self-CD4 T cells resistant. It's a long, long way off though.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
They are working on it using zinc finger endonucleases to engineer self-CD4 T cells resistant. It's a long, long way off though.
Well at least theyre working on it.
Some people believe that a cure for AIDS will never happen since AIDS patients bring in so much money to the industry for such a long time. But hopefully that will no longer be the case. No ammount of money justifies that level of suffering IMHO.

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
well HAART has vastly improved... with continued application the disease can pretty well be held at bay indefinitely.
cc

velikimajmun

Board Sponsor
Awards
Well at least theyre working on it.
Some people believe that a cure for AIDS will never happen since AIDS patients bring in so much money to the industry for such a long time. But hopefully that will no longer be the case. No ammount of money justifies that level of suffering IMHO.

I'm working on my PhD in immunology and I doubt we will ever have a "cure" in the classic sense of the word but the treatments and livability of the disease will continue to improve that is certain.

velikimajmun

Board Sponsor
Awards
well HAART has vastly improved... with continued application the disease can pretty well be held at bay indefinitely.
cc

In some individuals this is true, for others it is unfortunately not and drug resistance is a huge problem.

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
In some individuals this is true, for others it is unfortunately not and drug resistance is a huge problem.
Yeah very true... however the wide variety of drugs available now gives us some hope. I am doing my PhD in Pathology. Good luck.
cc

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
That is amazing, that would be awesome if I had the same delta32, I would never have to worry about HIV, although even if I did I would never know i had it.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
If delta 32 blocks hiv from entering the cell, does that mean that the person couldnt even become a "carrier"?

velikimajmun

Board Sponsor
Awards
If delta 32 blocks hiv from entering the cell, does that mean that the person couldnt even become a "carrier"?

Carrier isn't term used with HIV, but yes that's what it means for the most part. People with the mutation are still susceptible to infection with Strains that use CXCR4 instead of CCR5 as a co-receptor, but CXCR-4 viruses are thought to spread only rarely. People with the mutation aren't completely immune but they are highly resistent.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I hope when gene therapy becomes an accepted medical practice that we can eventually permanantly implement this characteristic into anyone who wants to be more protected from HIV infection. It's just such a tragic disease. And the danger of it effects anyone who has sexual intercourse. Hetrosexual, homosexual, bisexual, non IV drug users and IV drug users alike. I certainly hope condoms and/or abstinence arent the best solutions the human race will ever come up with. I mean, compared to alot of things, AIDS research is still relatively new, and until 20something years ago the only reason for for using a condom was to prevent pregnancy. (and some of the unpleasant albeit non-lethal STD's).