Placebo Effect in Supplements

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
How can you run faster? Just imagine you're getting a boost
Peta Bee

The key to faster running could be all in the mind, according to a study commissioned by the American Council on Exercise. Dr John Pocari, an exercise physiologist at the University of Wisconsin, measured what happens when runners think they are getting a boost from “super-oxygenated” water. His subjects ran three 5km time-trials, with half the group drinking a glass of plain bottled water and half taking what they thought was super-oxygenated water (but was, in fact, tap water) before they started. The latter group covered the distance 83 seconds faster, on average. Heart rate and blood lactate levels were the same between the groups, leading researchers to conclude that the mind plays a powerful role in helping athletes to improve.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think placebo effect is huge in supplements. Probably why muscle tech is still in business.

Mason

Awards
I think placebo effect is huge in supplements. Probably why muscle tech is still in business.
That is so true, when I first started taking supplements I went to GNC and bought Nitro-Tech and Some creatine. I drank like 3 glasses of nitro-tech a day, 2 scoops each and 1 scoop of creatine pre-work out and post-work out and like 2 weeks later I added 20 lbs to each exercise and started to gain alot of weight, deffinately placebo. I could have lifted all that weight before it's just taking them probably gave me lead way to try and lift that.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
LoL, and EAS. Today there are supps that actually work, ie creatine and the laundry list of soon to be illegals. When I was a kid we had great products like Smilax, weider egg protien and giant Amino Acid blends. The industry relies on the Placebo effect, without it they would be in a world of hurt. How many products today actually produce results? 50%, 25%? I would go as far as saying it's probably closer to 10% which is pretty good odds compared to years past.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
LoL, and EAS. Today there are supps that actually work, ie creatine and the laundry list of soon to be illegals. When I was a kid we had great products like Smilax, weider egg protien and giant Amino Acid blends. The industry relies on the Placebo effect, without it they would be in a world of hurt. How many products today actually produce results? 50%, 25%? I would go as far as saying it's probably closer to 10% which is pretty good odds compared to years past.

Although I do agree, I'll play devils advocate here and ask how many take these supps as an actual supplement partnered with a solid foundation in both diet and training? I find a lot of people cry wolf and complain supps don't work when really they have no clue how to train or how to eat.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Although I do agree, I'll play devils advocate here and ask how many take these supps as an actual supplement partnered with a solid foundation in both diet and training? I find a lot of people cry wolf and complain supps don't work when really they have no clue how to train or how to eat.
Yes, people have to remember that there is no such thing as magic.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Amen! What good is a multi if you eat beer and pizza everyday, that's not supplementing it's an effort to replace nutrition with pills.

Pizza :pizza: sorry I've been cutting for awhile