Health Secrets From The Morgue

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Health Secrets From The Morgue
Bend your ear to an autopsy and what you hear just might save your life.

I've been invited to watch someone pull the guts from a dead man. The man has died, as they say, before his time. He was in his 40s. If you want to know why young men die young — and you'd like to avoid the same fate yourself — it makes sense to look over the shoulder of someone like Michael Stier, M.D. Dr. Stier is a forensic pathologist often called as an expert witness in court cases, and I am meeting him in a morgue near the University of Wisconsin medical school, where he is an assistant professor. In a short while, Dr. Stier will be up to his wrists in a fleshy cavity containing organs that only a few hours ago pulsed and squeezed and lent animation to a man's body.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=health&category=doctors.hospitals&conitem=f3ab9586946e9010VgnVCM200000cee793cd____&page=0&pageLocation=true&print=true&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.menshealth.com%2Fcda%2Farticle.do%3Fsite%3DMensHealth%26channel%3Dhealth%26category%3Ddoctors.hospitals%26conitem%3Df3ab9586946e9010VgnVCM200000cee793cd____%26page%3D0%26pageLocation%3Dtrue

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great read bro i enjoyed it. :drunk: :hot:

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I haven't read it yet, and my brother just got his M.D. literally two weeks ago, but he is a pathologist and there are two things he has told me over and over again throughout the course of his medical education:

1) Don't use tobacco.

2) Never, ever go outside when the sun is out without sunglasses.

I will read the article later and pass it on to him to see what he says.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I haven't read it yet, and my brother just got his M.D. literally two weeks ago, but he is a pathologist and there are two things he has told me over and over again throughout the course of his medical education:

1) Don't use tobacco.

2) Never, ever go outside when the sun is out without sunglasses.

I will read the article later and pass it on to him to see what he says.
I have never in my life heard # 2....lol. can you explain # 2?:pose:

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Great read bro i enjoyed it. :drunk: :hot:
A couple of the mainstream mens magazines have had versions of this article in the past 6 months. The thing that I remember as a common theme is that for the most part, young men die because they do stupid things (get in fights, drive too fast, fail to wear seatbelt, too much alcohol/drugs). We all worry about the random cancer that might get us but statistically, if w're gonna die young, it's going to be because of our own stupidity.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A couple of the mainstream mens magazines have had versions of this article in the past 6 months. The thing that I remember as a common theme is that for the most part, young men die because they do stupid things (get in fights, drive too fast, fail to wear seatbelt, too much alcohol/drugs). We all worry about the random cancer that might get us but statistically, if w're gonna die young, it's going to be because of our own stupidity.

Yup and it makes sense. When people are young they do stupid and foolish things. It was an interesting read especially about the organs and what not.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
smeton_yea he was simply saying how easy it is to preserve one's sense of sight by taking precautions, that's all. Evidently he heard something that made him start repeating that mantra, because he still crows about it until this day...